20 something yr old woman missing in lake pflugerville

gsoda3

apparently she was kayaking when the storm hit last night.  police closed the lake yesterday and couldn't find her body.  they stopped the rescue operation last night and resumed this morning but it's now a recovery operation instead.  

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/austin/news/2019/06/10/kayaker-missing-in-lake-pflugerville-during-severe-storm

8 minutes ago, miguelito said:

All she had to do was paddle downhill.

not that easy.  if the kayak doesn't have a rudder, then the kayak will turn broadside to the wind.  most yaks do not have rudders.  even on a lake that small, 70 mph wind will create some nice rollers.  if she was broadside which she most likely was, the kayak rolled over.  

sad to hear.  loved ones lost a daughter/sister,/friend.

Edited by crash_davis

oh there's a lake pflugerville complete with rock beach.  it's disgusting.  the water is pretty much stagnant.  the worst is july 4th when the hordes descend on the lake and there's an oil slick of sunblock just sitting on the surface and there are no waves so everything just stays in place on top of the water.  spit, snot, hot dog buns... everything. 

9 hours ago, crash_davis said:

not that easy.  if the kayak doesn't have a rudder, then the kayak will turn broadside to the wind.  most yaks do not have rudders.  even on a lake that small, 70 mph wind will create some nice rollers.  if she was broadside which she most likely was, the kayak rolled over.  

I can't tell if this is brilliant satire or a sad commentary on crash_davis' lack of awareness. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

oh there's a lake pflugerville complete with rock beach.  it's disgusting.  the water is pretty much stagnant.  the worst is july 4th when the hordes descend on the lake and there's an oil slick of sunblock just sitting on the surface and there are no waves so everything just stays in place on top of the water.  spit, snot, hot dog buns... everything. 

Georges_Seurat_-_Un_dimanche_apr%C3%A8s-

• Like 2

650d0beff86a6107e647d33a7a515fb7.gif

And a body...

I've been stuck out in the bay while wade fishing when a huge red blob pops up.  Serious pucker factor and would not recommend.  But wouldn't these people be able to see this storm coming?  At least enough fair warning with ominous black storm brewing in the north?  Would have thought there would have been ample time to paddle back to shore before the storm/wind hit, even if they were out in the dead middle of that little lake?  

7 minutes ago, Lerka Lerka said:

I've been stuck out in the bay while wade fishing when a huge red blob pops up.  Serious pucker factor and would not recommend.  But wouldn't these people be able to see this storm coming?  At least enough fair warning with ominous black storm brewing in the north?  Would have thought there would have been ample time to paddle back to shore before the storm/wind hit, even if they were out in the dead middle of that little lake?  

inflatable kayaks/anything paddle like shit.  its easier walking a straight line with BAC 1.5 than it is to paddle an inflatable in a straight line sober and your life depended on it.  add 70 mph wind and you are properly fucked.  

28 minutes ago, Lerka Lerka said:

i dunno.  granted we were driving, but that storm came up quick.  

I live less than a couple of miles from the lake and it was sunny, hot and calm until it wasn't.  Would have never known anything was coming without the notice blaring on my phone (probably about 10-15 minutes before it hit).  Even then, had to look at radar to see anything.

1 minute ago, Kennythetiger said:

I don't know anything about inflatable kayaks.  Would it not be possible to get out of it on the lake and then just hold onto it and use it as flotation until the waves took you to shore?  As others have pointed out, that lake doesn't look very big. 

Haven't seen any official word on it, but depending on where they were, there's lots of hydrilla in areas.  No life jacket, not a strong swimmer, rough water and getting caught up in that would do you in quick.  I'm guessing that might be why they haven't found a body yet, but that is just a WAG

2 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

I don't know anything about inflatable kayaks.  Would it not be possible to get out of it on the lake and then just hold onto it and use it as flotation until the waves took you to shore?  As others have pointed out, that lake doesn't look very big. 

i'm guessing the wind flipped the kayak and it knocked her either unconscious or senseless and she wasn't able to react. 

A few years ago, I was with a group open water swimming on that lake.  No wind and a clear blue sky.  In an instant everything changed, a storm popped up right on top of us.  Kayak support for the novice swimmers was of no help because of the fierce winds which blew them off to the other side of the lake.  I ended up helping an older lady swim the 250 yards back to the beach - she was freaking out.  I had her face me with her back to the waves and side stroke all the way in.  I don't think that lady would have made it to shore if she was by herself.  In her panicked state, she would have used way too much energy and probably made a fatal mistake.

My heart goes out to the husband that lost his wife out there.

• Like 3

inflatable kayaks/anything paddle like shit.  its easier walking a straight line with BAC 1.5 than it is to paddle an inflatable in a straight line sober and your life depended on it.  add 70 mph wind and you are properly fucked.  
What about an inflatable swan and a high BAC?

26d662142bbb0f8044fb7a99b0b6ee07.jpg
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

i did something like this in Lake Jacksonville in NE Texas about 3 years ago.

husband, dad and i on his pontoon. i was floating in the water with a boat cushion tied to dad's pontoon boat, maybe 40 ft. they were chillin on the boat.

storm blew in in the space of about 8 mins. by the time i started trying to get to the boat the wind was blowing it faster than me, caught it broadside and was pushing it. dad cranked it up to try and manuever but wind and waves were just making it impossible. i couldn't get close and when i did there was no control, i would have had to let go of the boat cushion and swim and there was no way in hell i was doing that. 

i'm a strong swimmer...i realized we were only about 100 yards from shore, with the wind blowing us straight for it (that's why he had to manuever).

i just untied the cushion from the boat and started kicking with the wind. i was very calm and dad saw what i was doing. i swear i made it to shore in less than 10 mins. sat on the beach while dad took the boat out to safety. 

worst of it lasted maybe 15-20 mins. when it was over i walked to the end of somebody's pier and got back on the boat. 

husband was mad as hell that i'd untied myself but dad said it was the right decision. plus one of them would have jumped in with a life jacket if needed.

tl/dr: i almost drowned once but dad raised me right

I don't know how it works in big storms but every time we lose one on the Guadalupe or Canyon Lake, they always seem to be right where they went under. Its amazing, the Guadalupe can be flowing 350cfs, but the body is usually right there. On top.. things float for miles. Sink immediately and they don't move.

Course, there may be a problem with drunk drowning on the Guadalupe if I've figures this out.

Edited by relapse98