Hut's finally closing

Deej

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

I havent been in years, decades really, but used to enjoy it quite a bit.  Kind of a substitute for GM.  The Milner Mushroom burger was awesome.

Yep.  Not a "oh my god, lifechanging burger" place -- just good, solid burgers, big onion rings, cold iced tea.  And, you know, I've been eating there for 30 years, so it feels comfortable to me.

This one sucks.  I'm sure it will be reborn as an artisanal cocktail-forward revolutionary fusion concept from the people who brought you "SKRAW," an Arapahoe-Burmese fusion bistro featuring small plates at the always-popular $21 a plate price-point.

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm sure it will be reborn as an artisanal cocktail-forward revolutionary fusion concept from the people who brought you "SKRAW," an Arapahoe-Burmese fusion bistro featuring small plates at the always-popular $21 a plate price-point.

my vote is sambas-tapas.

SEBASTIAN: It was called Huts. They served unpretentious, good burgers there. Burgers, hot dogs, chicken fried steaks, shakes. It's a samba-tapas place now.

MIA: A what?

SEBASTIAN: Samba-tapas. It's... Exactly. The joke's on history.

SEBASTIAN (CONT'D): Anyway, that's Austin. They worship everything and they value nothing.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Their onion rings were kick-ass. I haven't eaten there in 15 years, but I'm sad to see it close.

Maybe if you frequented it every once in a while, it wouldn't have closed! 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Maybe if you frequented it every once in a while, it wouldn't have closed! 

I'm not close to it and I didn't like the burgers enough for it to be a destination spot. Regardless, from the press release it sounded like the owners just want to do something different and that it wasn't related to how well the business was doing.

We took our kids there last year for Wednesday's BOGO burgers to give them a little slice of old Austin. Wednesday's used to always be packed but it was pretty dead. Sad to see it go, was one of the go to pre/post game spots for my dad and I when he'd come into town on football Saturday's while I was in school.

Okay, mediocre burger place obviously not supported by the millions who claimed it was the best ever never bothered to show up and help them out in their waining years.  

Please tell me how great their burgers were and how you are a third generation Austinite.  If you have some magical control over where you're born, use it instead on saving small businesses and not bragging about yourself to audiences who don't give a fuck about you in the first place.  

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Okay, mediocre burger place obviously not supported by the millions who claimed it was the best ever never bothered to show up and help them out in their waining years.  

Please tell me how great their burgers were and how you are a third generation Austinite.  If you have some magical control over where you're born, use it instead on saving small businesses and not bragging about yourself to audiences who don't give a fuck about you in the first place.  

BRTky.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I digress and admit I came across somewhat salty.  But facts remain, "original Austinites" are already overly lamenting their departure despite two things:  not having been there in the better part of a decade and that they aren't noteworthy burgers to begin with.  Now they did make a superlative Rueben.  But again, overshadowed by 37,000 "native (bullshit term that means nothing) Austin residents" claiming it was their favorite, having been there once since Lance Armstrong's first TDF victory.  

I digress and admit I came across somewhat salty.  But facts remain, "original Austinites" are already overly lamenting their departure despite two things:  not having been there in the better part of a decade and that they aren't noteworthy burgers to begin with.  Now they did make a superlative Rueben.  But again, overshadowed by 37,000 "native (bullshit term that means nothing) Austin residents" claiming it was their favorite, having been there once since Lance Armstrong's first TDF victory.  

Ummm....where’s the post above claiming that it was their favorite/best burger ever?

We liked it. Many of us still went from time to time. I was there within the past month. They make a good burger and rings, it’s a good place for a burger downtown. Simple, the kind of good old burger joint many towns have. Losing one like that sucks.
  • Like 9

We loved it when we still lived in Austin almost 11 years ago. I loved getting a cheeseburger and chocolate malt. It’s sad to hear it’s going. I’m sure some new tofu burger place opened up around the corner that’s just to die for and is the trendiest spot in Austin.

I wrote an article for the hs newspaper in the early 90s on Huts. Got a double Dagburger that literally exploded out of the top of the bun when I took my first but. It's was pretty damn good back then. Great onion rings too.

Hopefully a T. Perry's or Smashburger or 5 Guys moves into the location. Can't get enough of those.

Not surprised, unfortunately.  Used to go to Hut's probably 4-6 times a year when we lived in Austin in the 80's/90's.... After we recently moved back,  we took our daughter there, filling her in on how we always used to go there, Austin institution, good burgers, etc. We went around 11:45 am on a Saturday. We were literally the ONLY table in the whole place. Wasn't prime time lunch hour quite yet, but still NO ONE else?  I told my wife " this isn't a good sign".  Used to be jam packed back in the day. Anyway, the burger sucked. I couldn't believe this was the same place that I remembered. I don't know what they changed, or how they changed it, but the food just was not good.  I was actually embarrassed I suggested we go. Sad to see it go, but it was time to move on it appears.

6 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

2 for 1 cfs on either Tuesday or Wednesday was on my weekly rotation in college.  Roommate and I would go and our total bill, with 2 drinks, was less than $10.

This. Great memories. Sorry to see it go. 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

like with most things downtown, parking was the issue for me.  if i have to go out of my way to find parking, i'm going somewhere else.  that area is fucking nuts for traffic and parking.

This. Good burger, fries, rings and shakes. Only thing that kept me from going more than twice a year was the hassle. 

26 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I hope some of you jackwagons were this bent out of shape when Mike's Pub closed. 

Even more bent out of shape. Still have a Mike's menu at the office. One of the classy ones printed out on an a piece of copy paper.