Hut's finally closing

Deej

Okay, mediocre burger place obviously not supported by the millions who claimed it was the best ever never bothered to show up and help them out in their waining years.  

Please tell me how great their burgers were and how you are a third generation Austinite.  If you have some magical control over where you're born, use it instead on saving small businesses and not bragging about yourself to audiences who don't give a fuck about you in the first place.  

af7757f6f6fe0361fb792ee2214b1fb4.gif
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Okay, mediocre burger place obviously not supported by the millions who claimed it was the best ever never bothered to show up and help them out in their waining years.  

Please tell me how great their burgers were and how you are a third generation Austinite.  If you have some magical control over where you're born, use it instead on saving small businesses and not bragging about yourself to audiences who don't give a fuck about you in the first place.  

Excuse me sir, I'm a fourth generation Austinite that will not tell you how great their burgers were. 

It was good though. Cheap. Nothing to complain about. Cool atmosphere. Probably been there twice in the past 10 years. 

22 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You shut your god damned whore mouth. 

Around 2004 or 2005 a buddy and I were going to see Guy at The Union Theatre. We thought it’d be real creative to have a pre-show dinner and drinks at the chili parlor. We walk in and the only other two people eating were Guy and Verlon. Guy knocked on our table on the way out and told us to enjoy the show. We did. 

• Like 3

I like the burgers, not a fan of the half-an-onion onion rings actually. Will hit before they close.

I get that. I dig em. I like both styles - the ones with the more crumbly batter, maybe 1/2 inch thick (shady grove does great ones), and the big slabs. I cut em in half, and they make a nice scoop for some ketchup to go with.

Goddamit. Now I wanna Richie Valens and some rings.
  • Like 1

Well said.  I know you did your best to keep Hut's afloat.  I'm guessing you also miss Austin of the 60's/70's?  

Hey man, why are you shitting on someone’s nostalgia? Nobody’s putting together a go-fund-me type of deal. It seems like most people were kind of reminiscing. I’m not sure who on this board is generationally solid when it comes to being Austin tried and true, but you seem like you’re being a dick to pretty much everyone.
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Hate said:

I miss the Austin on the 90’s and the 00’s. I don’t like what Austin has become and can’t ever see myself moving back there. I miss the sleet little weird town it was.

Yep.  Born there.  Grew up there.  School there.  Then left there.  My folks finally leaving a few years back after the traffic congestion and a subsequent bad traffic accident w/mom was the final straw.  See you twats on game day.  Other than that, peace out.  

Most of my old haunts are gone or changed anyway.  Old Ironworks with my dad still holds a special place with me.  Huts.  Dirty Martins.  Conan & brick oven pizza.  Patos Tacos.  Top Notch burgers every other day in HS when I was @ McCallum.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

There are people who don’t miss Austin of the 60’s and 70’s?   I’m guessing those people weren’t born early enough. 

The only things I miss about Austin of the 1950s & 1960s are the traffic and y’all’s moms & grandmas.

Hut’s? They’re gonna need some Superfund $$$$ to clean out their old grease trap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, crash_davis said:

damn.  it put up a good fight. prime real estate.  burgers are ok.  i haven't been in 10 years.  new comers don't really know what an institution that place is.

18 hours ago, elfenix said:

they owned frank & angie's did they not?  ate a lot of their pizza

57 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hearing/reading @Bozo_Casanova recount the tale of the time we met for lunch at the Chili Parlor...and they were out of chili....is one of my favorite stories.

They were out. Of Chili. At the Chili Parlour. And the lady said "we have white chili."

WTF is "white chili"?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Ummm....where’s the post above claiming that it was their favorite/best burger ever?

It might be, no it probably is, the best combination of burger and onion rings.  Dirty's is up there, but man Hut's is the ultimate for both of those on your plate.

6 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

It might be, no it probably is, the best combination of burger and onion rings.  Dirty's is up there, but man Hut's is the ultimate for both of those on your plate.

That's partly because you're not ordering onion rings at Dirty's. You're ordering cheese tots, dagnabbit. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

The Dirty's burger and rings combo is indeed glorious.

And I know that's not what it's known for, and it's a bit kitschy, but the regular old thick patty grilled cheeseburger with rings at Shady Grove is good stuff.  That burger and rings on the patio, with a cold iced tea, that's a nice afternoon.

But seriously, I'm jonesing for some Huts now, and now I know it's gonna be freaking crowded while everyone tries to get their last fix.  Dammit.

58 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

They were out. Of Chili. At the Chili Parlour. And the lady said "we have white chili."

WTF is "white chili"?

White beans in the chili.  But since we all know beans in chili is a god damn abomination.  It's a bowl of soup...

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And I know that's not what it's known for, and it's a bit kitschy, but the regular old thick patty grilled cheeseburger with rings at Shady Grove is good stuff.  That burger and rings on the patio, with a cold iced tea, that's a nice afternoon.

But seriously, I'm jonesing for some Huts now, and now I know it's gonna be freaking crowded while everyone tries to get their last fix.  Dammit.

If you don't get a malt at Dirty's, you're doing it wrong. They are one of the few places that actually uses enough malt powder. 

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Is Dirty's still there? My daughter used to live a stone's throw from that place, but she moved so I haven't been there in a while. 

I hope it's still there. No offense, Whataburger.

just another piece of old Austin and college years gone.  this one hurts a bit more than players because the burgers at Hut's we at least decent whereas Players was always terrible at best.  The onion rings at huts, the cfs, the old building, college, nostalgia, etc all were a cool piece of Austin.  it was sort of the last bastion with Mad Dog and Beans, GM Steakhouse and Players all gone.  I guess Dirty Martins is the last standing king.  Sucks, but like others have said, I am pretty surprised it made it this long.  

I think about the only places that remain that I used to frequent that have any remaining character are Dirty's and Texas Chili Parlor.  

Edited by pepper brooks
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

I know it's not "old school", but if the P Terry's on Lamar and 34th closes I'll have to explore assisted suicide.

I've gotten over it, but I was in a white-hot fury when Hill-Bert's at that location was forced out by the landlord, who then leased the property to P. Terry's. Hill-Bert's was old-school, and I still eat at the Cameron location on the reg. 

• Like 5