Hut's finally closing

Deej

24 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I've gotten over it, but I was in a white-hot fury when Hill-Bert's at that location was forced out by the landlord, who then leased the property to P. Terry's. Hill-Bert's was old-school, and I still eat at the Cameron location on the reg. 

All of this. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I've gotten over it, but I was in a white-hot fury when Hill-Bert's at that location was forced out by the landlord, who then leased the property to P. Terry's. Hill-Bert's was old-school, and I still eat at the Cameron location on the reg. 

Kinda how I felt after Torchy's took over Wok 'N Roll's spot on Burnet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Kinda how I felt after Torchy's took over Wok 'N Roll's spot on Burnet. 

GODDAMIT.  I was just telling a colleague of my inadvertent racism story about that place.  I loved to grab takeout from there.  We liked the stir fried flat noodles (that I later learned are called chow fun).  The menu was just pictures, numbers, and chinese writing.  So, I ordered the #32, and then asked the asian girl behind the counter (pointing at the chinese writing) "how do I say that?"  And she says "I dunno, I'm Vietnamese."  Kind of a perfect moment.

F Torchy's.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

What year was that?

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

GODDAMIT.  I was just telling a colleague of my inadvertent racism story about that place.  I loved to grab takeout from there.  We liked the stir fried flat noodles (that I later learned are called chow fun).  The menu was just pictures, numbers, and chinese writing.  So, I ordered the #32, and then asked the asian girl behind the counter (pointing at the chinese writing) "how do I say that?"  And she says "I dunno, I'm Vietnamese."  Kind of a perfect moment.

F Torchy's.

You're Laotian, aren't you Khan?

Sorry. Just had to get that out there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

just another piece of old Austin and college years gone.  this one hurts a bit more than players because the burgers at Hut's we at least decent whereas Players was always terrible at best.  

You know what wasn’t terrible. The ass on that broad dressed up as a slutty postal carrier in line after bars closed Halloween ca. 2002. 

Hill-Bert's Lamar closed in 2008, and the location in the old 35th street Taco Bell was sold out from under them and closed in 2015. 
 Everybody should patronize their last place on Cameron. Good food, really nice people. 

Last hill Bert’s I went to was the old 35th street location.

34 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

You're part of the problem. 

In so, so many ways.....

Not the least of which is the fact that my wife loves to buy the $25 box of cookies from the Tiny Boxwoods that took over that location.

Really good cookies, though.

Edited by Brisketexan

On 6/10/2019 at 3:47 PM, conVINCEd said:

2 for 1 cfs on either Tuesday or Wednesday was on my weekly rotation in college.  Roommate and I would go and our total bill, with 2 drinks, was less than $10.

When Mrs. CHIEF and I first got married and had two car payments, and a high end apartment we should have never rented, this was our Tuesday night "date". Wednesday night was Copper Tank dollar pints. For a Jackson, you could have 8 pints each, and still leave a $4 tip. Also lived on 10 cent shrimp, 25 cent oysters, dollar beers, and government cheese at Pearl's Oyster Bar, 69 cent night at Dallas Night Club. We were as poor as church mice, but had the circuit down pat.

CHIEF

17 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

When Mrs. CHIEF and I first got married and had two car payments, and a high end apartment we should have never rented, this was our Tuesday night "date". Wednesday night was Copper Tank dollar pints. For a Jackson, you could have 8 pints each, and still leave a $4 tip. Also lived on 10 cent shrimp, 25 cent oysters, dollar beers, and government cheese at Pearl's Oyster Bar, 69 cent night at Dallas Night Club. We were as poor as church mice, but had the circuit down pat.

CHIEF

Can't pull that anymore. And fuck you Lobo before you chime in.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

There was definitely a circuit.  It’s been a while, and I don’t recall the particulars, but Serrano’s happy hour was involved.  It was basically free fajitas if you bought one drink.

P Terry's has never cooked, sold, dropped, accidentally synthesized, or premature ejaculated a burger that's anywhere near a Hil-Bert's regular ol' cheeseburger. I feel your pain my greasy compadre.
  • Like 4

On 6/10/2019 at 3:49 PM, Brisketexan said:

I'm sure it will be reborn as an artisanal cocktail-forward revolutionary fusion concept from the people who brought you "SKRAW," an Arapahoe-Burmese fusion bistro featuring small plates at the always-popular $21 a plate price-point.

35b274280303ada93b5ad1da59e2143b_096e27b

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

Any love for the Posse East, a Sheriff sandwich and a beer after an exam?  Or before an exam?

Absolutely.  The Posse was my main hangout as well, as an engineering undergrad.  Crown and Anchor was a close second.  The Sheriff or just a straight-up cheeseburger at the Posse, and the jalapenos cheeseburger special at the Crown and Anchor, where you got the burger, fries, and a soft drink for $3.45.  Of course, the numerous pitchers of beer we'd consume afterward were a little more expensive...

8 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Both my kids were born at Seton and I ate 2 meals a day there the whole time my wife was in the hospital recovering. 

My first was born at Seton.  At the time, Waterloo Icehouse would give you a free beer for a newborn baby if you showed them your hospital wristband.

1 minute ago, Chet Steadman said:

Forgot there was still a Hilberts remaining. Used to go to the one which is now Tiny’s often.  They had one of the best burgers in town but I’d give the edge to TB’s cookies.  That stuff is crack.  

Wasn't the Hilberts building once an old-school Taco Bell?  

Yup.  That's what all Taco Bells looked like back in the 70s/early 80s.  Minus the bright paint of course.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Forgot there was still a Hilberts remaining. Used to go to the one which is now Tiny’s often.  They had one of the best burgers in town but I’d give the edge to TB’s cookies.  That stuff is crack.  

Wasn't the Hilberts building once an old-school Taco Bell?  

The one by the Randall's was. The one on Lamar was originally a Burger Chef. 

• Like 2

My mom used to take us to the Burger Chef over by Hancock Center, after spending the morning shopping there.  Some folks don't realize it but Burger Chef had a kids' meal before McDonald's introduced the Happy Meal.  It was called the Fun Meal and had a burger, dessert, and toy.  

16 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

and Leave Sandy's and Dirty's alone you heathens. 

In 60 years of residence in the Austin area, I have never been to Sandy’s. First ate one of Dirty’s burgers in 1959, the second one 25 years later. Still very average IMO.

Neg away, assholes.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

My first was born at Seton.  At the time, Waterloo Icehouse would give you a free beer for a newborn baby if you showed them your hospital wristband.

My last two were born at old Seton in west campus. Didn’t get any free stuff there even though my brother was the associate CEO of the hospital.

15 hours ago, Paco said:
22 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

P Terry's has never cooked, sold, dropped, accidentally synthesized, or premature ejaculated a burger that's anywhere near a Hil-Bert's regular ol' cheeseburger. I feel your pain my greasy compadre.

Well, shit. I'm not usually moved by random fucks' tastes on message boards, but I might have to try Hill-Bert's after that. I'm a P Terry's fan. Maybe not as much as WB or Dan's, but they're in my Top 3 fast food in Austin. I know where that location is, just never tempted me being fast food behind a strip mall next to a Taco Bell and across from a gas station.

To stay on topic: sucks. Cool place, food was alright, been there sporadically (maybe a couple times a year) over the past decade.

Edited by BurdineBandit
answered

59 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Loved those cookies and cream shakes.

Oh, man.  So much this.  The mint chocolate chip shakes weren't bad either.

I was introduced to that place when my sister was at UT in the early 80s.  When I got there in August '92, it was my first stop for dinner (my first night in Austin).  Porky's Demise, fries, shake.  It was closed down the next week.

Edited by dcbc

15 hours ago, Paco said:
22 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

P Terry's is Shortstop in a fancy frock, right down to about half of the photomat looking locations.  It's not bad, but it's no destination either.

Hopefully, we all can agree that we each should make a trip to Top Notch so that it sticks around for the foreseeable future.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

just another piece of old Austin and college years gone.  this one hurts a bit more than players because the burgers at Hut's we at least decent whereas Players was always terrible at best.  The onion rings at huts, the cfs, the old building, college, nostalgia, etc all were a cool piece of Austin.  it was sort of the last bastion with Mad Dog and Beans, GM Steakhouse and Players all gone.  I guess Dirty Martins is the last standing king.  Sucks, but like others have said, I am pretty surprised it made it this long.  

I think about the only places that remain that I used to frequent that have any remaining character are Dirty's and Texas Chili Parlor.  

whoa whoa whoa with the player's hate. i don't recall having a bad burger there, and it did hurt when that place closed.

hell, the nighthawk on burnet shut down recently too, though the last time i had been there it looked like a goddamned luby's with the clientele and waitstaff.

i will say, i'm surprised it has taken hut's this long to shut down, though it should be noted they are opening an airport location, and plan to keep that open. it was always a pain to find parking for the place, and that's only gotten worse in more recent years.  like most here, i would argue that they made good burgers, and the place itself is a slice of austin history, like threadgill's used to be. thought they missed the boat a bit with no draft beer. 

i also miss mike's. that was the best burger in town by a country mile in their heydey.

i miss the earl campbell's at abia, too. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dcbc said:

P Terry's is Shortstop in a fancy frock, right down to about half of the photomat looking locations.  It's not bad, but it's no destination either.

Hopefully, we all can agree that we each should make a trip to Top Notch so that it sticks around for the foreseeable future.

Give me Shortstop over P. Terry's. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Top Notch is doing quite well.  We go from time to time, lots of other area folks do as well, at expected busy hours, they are almost always busy.

39 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i also miss mike's. that was the best burger in town by a country mile in their heydey.

And repeating again for effect.  I may miss Mike's more than I miss any other departed restaurant.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, utee94 said:

P Terry's and Shortstop are both good. Nothing at all wrong with a thin drive-thru style burger that doesn't cost a fortune.  No need to hate on them whilst lamenting the loss of another local chain. 

surly rule #242: there must always be a winner and loser.  and the loser must be made the worst thing in history.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/11/2019 at 9:19 AM, irishtexan said:

All I know is that if and when Dirty’s or Crown or Posse closes, that’s the end of “old Austin” for me

Fucking this. I lived about 1/2 a block from Crown and ate the $3.25 burger and fries (with a beer or several) enough that I'll be lucky to make it to 50. Posse was great too. As an engineer, it was just too convenient to my classes and it was cheap.

34 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

surly rule #242: there must always be a winner and loser.  and the loser must be made the worst thing in history.

Ain't that the truth.  I always wonder why people bother to start the "overrated stuff you hate" threads, when EVERY thread on surly eventually devolves into that exact discussion.  Anyway, surl gonna surl I suppose.

47 minutes ago, utee94 said:

P Terry's and Shortstop are both good. Nothing at all wrong with a thin drive-thru style burger that doesn't cost a fortune.  No need to hate on them whilst lamenting the loss of another local chain. 

Nothing really against P. Terry's, I eat there occasionally, but don't get the excessive love they get. Burgers are ok, but on the small side, and the worst fries out of almost anyone. As soon as they get the least bit cold, they are a congealed mess. It's like someone took a can of those shoestring potatoes and soaked them in old cooking oil.