Hut's finally closing

Deej

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

In 60 years of residence in the Austin area, I have never been to Sandy’s. First ate one of Dirty’s burgers in 1959, the second one 25 years later. Still very average IMO.

Neg away, assholes.

You're not missing a thing.

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Oh, man.  So much this.  The mint chocolate chip shakes weren't bad either.

I was introduced to that place when my sister was at UT in the early 80s.  When I got there in August '92, it was my first stop for dinner (my first night in Austin).  Porky's Demise, fries, shake.  It was closed down the next week.

It was one of my first stops in Austin in the early 80's--May 1980.  I still remember the hippie that waited on us.  Doesn't seem like that long ago.  39 years goes by in the blink of an eye . . .

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

My mom used to take us to the Burger Chef over by Hancock Center, after spending the morning shopping there.  Some folks don't realize it but Burger Chef had a kids' meal before McDonald's introduced the Happy Meal.  It was called the Fun Meal and had a burger, dessert, and toy.  

Damn......now I'm getting flashbacks.  So I grew up close to there near Maplewood elementary.  We'd cut through the school playground, down the hill, hit the train tracks that spit us out @ 35 behind the Academy there (back when it was an Army surplus store).  We'd cross under 35 there and hit Hancock Center for shopping and food places (and then later golf @ Hancock where I learned to hack it up).  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 2

My first was born at Seton.  At the time, Waterloo Icehouse would give you a free beer for a newborn baby if you showed them your hospital wristband.

My kids were born at Seton and Waterloo gave me a beer and a milkshake (for baby mama). This was just 5 years ago for my last.

17 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Any love for the Posse East, a Sheriff sandwich and a beer after an exam?  Or before an exam?

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I maintained a second residence at the Posse during law school. I may have consumed a Sheriff or 100. And a coupla beers...per hour.

15 hours ago, utee94 said:

Absolutely.  The Posse was my main hangout as well, as an engineering undergrad.  Crown and Anchor was a close second.  The Sheriff or just a straight-up cheeseburger at the Posse, and the jalapenos cheeseburger special at the Crown and Anchor, where you got the burger, fries, and a soft drink for $3.45.  Of course, the numerous pitchers of beer we'd consume afterward were a little more expensive...

For me it's always been Posse for game watching, Crown for food and darts.

My office during grad school was in the basement of the MEngr building.  I could walk to Posse East in about 2 minutes.  I did that a lot.  My go-to was nachos and a pitcher.  Crown & Anchor opened right as I was finishing up, and they got my burger business.

Speaking of questionable burgers:  G&M?

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

P Terry's and Shortstop are both good. Nothing at all wrong with a thin drive-thru style burger that doesn't cost a fortune.  No need to hate on them whilst lamenting the loss of another local chain. 

No hate.  They're fine.  I just see them where I used to see Short Stop.

P. Terry's sucks. Shortstop was great, then I got food poisoning so I haven't been back since the mid-90's. But I didn't mention them because the 2-burger/2-fry deal for $5 was badass as a college student.

Top Notch still kicks if you need a thin burger. Or hit up Whataburger if you need that fast food chain experience.

Speaking of questionable burgers:  G&M?

If you mean GM Steakhouse there was absolutely nothing questionable about their burgers. It could be nostalgia fucking with me, but I still think that's the best cheeseburger I've ever had in Austin.
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Paco said:

If you mean GM Steakhouse there was absolutely nothing questionable about their burgers. It could be nostalgia fucking with me, but I still think that's the best cheeseburger I've ever had in Austin.

Yep, they were damn good.  Ate there often, especially my freshman year.

On 6/11/2019 at 10:19 AM, irishtexan said:

All I know is that if and when Dirty’s or Crown or Posse closes, that’s the end of “old Austin” for me

I'm old enough that the Crown was that new place down from the Posse. Hell I'm old enough that I used to get You Scream Ice Cream in that strip.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

Well if we’re reminiscing, bring back Time Out for Burger in Westlake and El Chino at 6th and Brazos (home of the all you can eat Mexican and Chinese food lunch buffet). 

And home of the Skaggs Alpha Beta cocktail - some blue concoction that got every girl I knew VERY frisky.

6 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

Well if we’re reminiscing, bring back Time Out for Burger in Westlake and El Chino at 6th and Brazos (home of the all you can eat Mexican and Chinese food lunch buffet). 

And Chicken Shack at Lamar and North Loop.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

When did the Double Dave's next to the posse close? 

It’s now called the Varsity.  And is basically a Double Dave’s with better beer selection. At least it was last time I went there two or three months back. 

2 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

It’s now called the Varsity.  And is basically a Double Dave’s with better beer selection. At least it was last time I went there two or three months back. 

But do they have all-you-can eat pepperoni rolls on the lunch buffet?

• Like 1

I have vague memories of really liking a fish and chips place called Zeider Zee or something when I was really young.

Also the original Iron Works had an all you can eat deal for lunch.  We'd load up and not be able to eat even a thin mint for 24-48 hours.

Shit, just Googled Threadgill's and see that it's closed also. Had a good chicken fried there in the mid 80's. 

Edited by Mach 1

5 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

I have vague memories of really liking a fish and chips place called Zeider Zee or something when I was really young.

Also the original Iron Works had an all you can eat deal for lunch.  We'd load up and not be able to eat even a thin mint for 24-48 hours.

Zeider Zee...fuck yeah.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

And home of the Skaggs Alpha Beta cocktail - some blue concoction that got every girl I knew VERY frisky.

I would swear they were red, not blue. Good place to start a night on 6th.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:57 AM, dcbc said:

P Terry's is Shortstop in a fancy frock, right down to about half of the photomat looking locations.  It's not bad, but it's no destination either.

Hopefully, we all can agree that we each should make a trip to Top Notch so that it sticks around for the foreseeable future.

Top Notch is doing fine and are actually building a second location in Hutto that will be open fairly soon.

6 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Top Notch is doing fine and are actually building a second location in Hutto that will be open fairly soon.

Top Notch just needs to change the wording on the sign back to "HAMBJRGERS".

Tried to hit Hut's today.  Has a paper posted on the door that said they were closed today, need to take a day to restock and regroup, thanks for the outpouring of support.

So, we went and got Whataburger instead, on our "memorial tour of screwed Texas burger places."