Jon Stewart Knocks It Out of the Park

pepper brooks

Wow! Lololololol. 
Have you seen the Texas lege lately? That all by itself blows your ridiculously dumb theory out of the water. 
Let me spare you the suspense. The members of the Texas lege don’t get paid shit and it’s not filled to the brim with financially stable gents and ladies. 

Or mentally stable ones, tbh

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

maybe, but if you pay them only expenses then you get guys and ladies who are financially stable, wealthy who cannot easily be bought off by lobbyists, special interests.  You get successful folks who are giving back and serving after they have made their fortunes. That was the intent by the founders.  the idea of career politicians would be completely reprehensible to them as it is to me. 

Holy shit. You are serious, aren't you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Because you're a GOP apologist who blames the dems and Obama for the nation's ills, and then turns around and asks why we can't all come together for the good of the nation?

Obama has been gone for two years.  his 10 trillion in debt remains, but I am not blaming trump and the pathetic congress's trillion dollar deficits on him.  He owns 8 years of terrible policy and a lackluster recovery from a devastating recession.  trump and a continual pathetic congress dating back to paul ryan's reign of incompetence own the current financial mismanagement.  I am not sure how that makes me a gop apologist as you say, but whatever makes you feel better.  

I'd say we have a maximum age of 57 and double their salary. Let's get reps whose brains work and compensate them commensurate to what a successful person would earn at the peak of their career. 

I'd be much more likely to support this, though I think the whole term limit/ age limit thing is a bit ginmicky. I'm quite skeptical of someone who wants to spend their old age in politics. Why would you want to do that? Let the olds' capacity to govern, or lack thereof.

46 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

maybe, but if you pay them only expenses then you get guys and ladies who are financially stable, wealthy who cannot easily be bought off by lobbyists, special interests.  You get successful folks who are giving back and serving after they have made their fortunes. That was the intent by the founders.  the idea of career politicians would be completely reprehensible to them as it is to me. 

if there is one thing history has taught us, it is that people that have money don't want more money.

• Like 4

If only there was some real world example that shows this is a laughably naive take...

11 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Holy shit. You are serious, aren't you?

But of course good sir!

Why I myself have just made a fortune of millions in the dry goods and satellite tv industries and have decided to offer up my services, free of charge of course, to the good people of hudspeth county in the great state of Texas as their representative in the esteemed Texas legislature! 

My carriage awaits! 

Edited by JimmyJames

2 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

Obama has been gone for two years.  his 10 trillion in debt remains, but I am not blaming trump and the pathetic congress's trillion dollar deficits on him.  He owns 8 years of terrible policy and a lackluster recovery from a devastating recession.  trump and a continual pathetic congress dating back to paul ryan's reign of incompetence own the current financial mismanagement.  I am not sure how that makes me a gop apologist as you say, but whatever makes you feel better.  

How would you compare the economic situations at the beginning of Obama's and Trump's terms respectively?

29 minutes ago, elfenix said:

hey check out this guy who thinks there's no interest on the debt.

you can't be this naive

where I say I think there is no interest on the debt?  it has grow exponentially as a percentage of congressional spend.  it is now firmly in the top 10 cash outlays.  

Thread about John Stewart bringing attention to an issue that has largely been ignored by Congress, the media and citizens devolves into a partisan argument not related to 9/11 first responders.

This is why we cannot have nice things.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, F250 said:

Thread about John Stewart bringing attention to an issue that has largely been ignored by Congress, the media and citizens devolves into a partisan argument not related to 9/11 first responders.

A republican troll is trying to care about the national debt. Wait. What are we talking about?

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

How would you compare the economic situations at the beginning of Obama's and Trump's terms respectively?

I’ll give you his answer. Dems caused the recession that obama inherited and republicans caused the good economy trump inherited. 

• Like 3

Just now, F250 said:

This issue hasn't been ignored by Congress. The Democrats have wanted to make this permanent for years. It's been stonewalled by Republicans. They filibustered it in 2010 until Stewart ran a segment on it on The Daily Show. They stonedwalled it in committee again in 2015 until Stewart brought attention back to it. And McConnell is stonewalling it now.

We can't treat the disease if nobody will acknowledge what it even fucking is. The problem isn't Congress itself, the problem is the Republican party.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

where I say I think there is no interest on the debt?  it has grow exponentially as a percentage of congressional spend.  it is now firmly in the top 10 cash outlays.  

bush's fiscal disaster will never be done. 

his 10 trillion in debt remains

2.5 trillion of which was interest on debt outstanding when he came into office.

Edited by elfenix

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

This issue hasn't been ignored by Congress. The Democrats have wanted to make this permanent for years. It's been stonewalled by Republicans. They filibustered it in 2010 until Stewart ran a segment on it on The Daily Show. They stonedwalled it in committee again in 2015 until Stewart brought attention back to it. And McConnell is stonewalling it now.

We can't treat the disease if nobody will acknowledge what it even fucking is. The problem isn't Congress itself, the problem is the Republican party.

Well, at least this is on topic.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Obviously “both sides” are to blame. 

Or maybe the dems. Not sure which. Probably just the dems. 

What else was attached to the blll?

of course GOP gooners just want to cut off everyone.  There’s no way some other bullshit spending was attached, right?

4 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

A republican troll is trying to care about the national debt. Wait. What are we talking about?

I believe we were discussing the Affordable Care Act or Medicare for All and AOC's latest tweet, I mean Donald's latest tweet, no it was the Mueller report.

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

bush's financial disaster will never be done. 

You are forgetting that the mortgage collapse in 2007 and the financial collapse in 2008 was Obama’s fault.

Oh and the huge deficits from W’s tax cuts were both the fault of obama and the dems who through their minority status in the congress were somehow able to control the congress anyway and override the W sure to come vetos. Damn crafty are the dems. 

And don’t forget how the dems not just 2 years ago were able to ram through their tax cuts for the ultra rich. 

Try not to forget that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

of course GOP gooners just want to cut off everyone.  There’s no way some other bullshit spending was attached, right?

According to Republicans, the provisions to cover the cost of the healthcare program via an excise tax increase on foreign-made goods would violate international tax treaties.[8][9] They also raised concerns about creating an expansive new healthcare entitlement program and re-opening the 9/11 Victims Compensation Fund.[10] Many Republicans refused to end the filibuster until the Bush tax cuts were extended. Forty-two Senate Republicans had signed a pledge to filibuster all bills until the Bush tax cuts were renewed and the government was appropriately funded for the next several months.[9][11] With only 57 votes to end the Senate filibuster and an incoming influx of Republicans in the wake of the 2010 Congressional Elections, the bill's future looked increasingly doubtful towards the end of 2010.[9]

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

Well why don’t you enlighten us with your knowledge? 

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

According to Republicans, the provisions to cover the cost of the healthcare program via an excise tax increase on foreign-made goods would violate international tax treaties.[8][9] They also raised concerns about creating an expansive new healthcare entitlement program and re-opening the 9/11 Victims Compensation Fund.[10] Many Republicans refused to end the filibuster until the Bush tax cuts were extended. Forty-two Senate Republicans had signed a pledge to filibuster all bills until the Bush tax cuts were renewed and the government was appropriately funded for the next several months.[9][11] With only 57 votes to end the Senate filibuster and an incoming influx of Republicans in the wake of the 2010 Congressional Elections, the bill's future looked increasingly doubtful towards the end of 2010.[9]

Of course. They held it hostage until their give away to the rich was extended. So typical. 

The whole of congress is a sickening bunch on so many levels.  we really need to raise the minimum age to 57, cut pay to expenses only, and have hard and fast term limits on these people.  

I was just thinking, we need more old people in charge of government since they are so under represented.

37 minutes ago, Foosters said:

So, in other words it was politicized by both sides,

While the outrage or at least eye-rolling is justified, it’s still more complicated than a straight up vote on supporting 9-11 First Responders. 

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

While the outrage or at least eye-rolling is justified, it’s still more complicated than a straight up vote on supporting 9-11 First Responders. 

God, @Anastasis is so much better at this than you. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

I’ll give you his answer. Dems caused the recession that obama inherited and republicans caused the good economy trump inherited. 

Specifically Barney Frank, a congressman and definitely not the GOP president.

On a side note, fuck anyone who says celebrities just need to shut up.  This testimony is why that's a bad blanket policy.  As it turns out, some celebrities are smart, engaged, passionate, and . . . citizens.

The irony is that the only ones who say that are the ones who nominated and elected two fucking celebrities.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Maybe I missed it, but it was no more than a straight up vote for supporting 9-11 responders until the GOP began demanding concessions for their votes.

44 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Maybe I missed it, but it was no more than a straight up vote for supporting 9-11 responders until the GOP began demanding concessions for their votes.

Yeah you must have missed it. Me too. I missed how it was a vote supporting 9-11 responders until the GOP began demanding unrelated concesssion for their votes.

But just as slorch says, that’s just politics and therefore you cannot assign any blame whatsoever. Except in actuality its totally the dems fault for not voting to republican tax cuts so that they could also vote to support the 9-11 responders. 

Is this really so hard? 

No its not. The republicans are the party of nothing, they believe in nothing, they are nihilists, and they’ve even pissed on the dude’s rug. 

10 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah you must have missed it. Me too. I missed how it was a vote supporting 9-11 responders until the GOP began demanding unrelated concesssion for their votes.

But just as slorch says, that’s just politics and therefore you cannot assign any blame whatsoever. Except in actuality its totally the dems fault for not voting to republican tax cuts so that they could also vote to support the 9-11 responders. 

Is this really so hard? 

No its not. The republicans are the party of nothing, they believe in nothing, they are nihilists, and they’ve even pissed on the dude’s rug. 

Thanks for ignoring the post where I said they all suck for holding the process hostage...

Y'all always so butthurt 'bout your side...LOlz.  nobody is better.  Either get the shit done or STFU.

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

God, @Anastasis is so much better at this than you. 

don't make a fuck.

It ain't getting fixed by you "our side is so holy and the world is fucked when they disagree" motherfuckers.

"our politics is so enlightened...har, har, har.  You so dumb not to understand our version of negotiating."

yeah...whatever.  They(are) all fucked up.  No high ground at all.

Edited by slorch

Just now, slorch said:

Thatnks for ignoring the post where I said they all suck...and they do.

You’re welcome. 

The Republican Party sucks and in its current state with dear leader trump, is the true enemy of the state.

The dems suck much less and in its current state, are our only hope.

Luckily the millineos see through the republican party’s bullshit. If you can’t then they are much smarter than you. Maybe you should look at it closer. 

9 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

You’re welcome. 

The Republican Party sucks and in its current state with dear leader trump, is the true enemy of the state.

The dems suck much less and in its current state, are our only hope.

Luckily the millineos see through the republican party’s bullshit. If you can’t then they are much smarter than you. Maybe you should look at it closer. 

Bullshit.  It's all corrupt.

and yeah, the milineos who haven't done shit with their lives yet are so fucking wise. i should absolutely defer to their classroom theories.

LOLz.  

Edited by slorch

Just now, slorch said:

and yeah, the milineos who haven't done shit with their lives yet are so fucking wise.

LOLz.  

This is such a dumb and worthless response I’m not gonna formulate a response other than to point out to you that its a dumb and worthless response. Anything more is a waste of time.

LOLz. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, slorch said:

and yeah, the milineos who haven't done shit with their lives yet are so fucking wise.

LOLz.  

Yeah, people in their 30s haven't done shit. At what age do people start "[doing] shit?"

God you're fucking stupid.

• Like 1

There is only shame to be had on this topic. The fact that politicians can not be embarrassed by their positions on this topic reflect how much “noise” is in our daily lives. The electorate just doesn’t follow through and hold Congress accountable.

3 minutes ago, swraith said:

There is only shame to be had on this topic. The fact that politicians can not be embarrassed by their positions on this topic reflect how much “noise” is in our daily lives. The electorate just doesn’t follow through and hold Congress accountable.

Sorry bud but youre wrong on this. 

Its not the electorate’s job to to follow through and cut through the noise in their lives. The electorate is busy having lives to live. 

Its the Congress’s job to lead and pay attention to all this shit, subject to the will of the electorate.  That’s the social contract. But That is of course, not happening. 

What’s happened is this. The public has deliberately not been educated, by people who want to turn government into their own profit centers. The lack of education part is a Holdover from the civil war.

The uneducated parts of the public is therefore not able to critically evaluate things, which allows profit motive evil motherfuckers like Murdoch, Trump, and his evil pet turtle to take advantage of this lack of critical thinking and create a mob of zombie olds and idiots who are willing to support their bidding to loot the country. 

A problem has arisen in that the youngs are not nearly as stupid or as easily susceptible to said manipulation, so their response is to try to minimize their vote, shutting down polling stations in cities, campuses, etc. 

The ultimate outcome is not yet determined. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Thanks for ignoring the post where I said they all suck for holding the process hostage...

Y'all always so butthurt 'bout your side...LOlz.  nobody is better.  Either get the shit done or STFU.

What concession, what poison pill or pet project did Democrats add to a bill to simply fund medical care for 9-11 responders? 

• Like 1

Our political system is built on the assumption that people will generally support who they believe to be the better of two options, creating accountability and a race to the top.  Over the long term, that system has worked pretty damn well.   Bothsiders are a cancer on our system and bear as much of the responsibility for Trump's presidency as his voters.

• Like 2

Sorry bud but youre wrong on this. 
Its not the electorate’s job to to follow through and cut through the noise in their lives. The electorate is busy having lives to live. 
Its the Congress’s job to lead and pay attention to all this shit, subject to the will of the electorate.  That’s the social contract. But That is of course, not happening. 
What’s happened is this. The public has deliberately not been educated, by people who want to turn government into their own profit centers. The lack of education part is a Holdover from the civil war.
The uneducated parts of the public is therefore not able to critically evaluate things, which allows profit motive evil motherfuckers like Murdoch, Trump, and his evil pet turtle to take advantage of this lack of critical thinking and create a mob of zombie olds and idiots who are willing to support their bidding to loot the country. 
A problem has arisen in that the youngs are not nearly as stupid or as easily susceptible to said manipulation, so their response is to try to minimize their vote, shutting down polling stations in cities, campuses, etc. 
The ultimate outcome is not yet determined. 

That social contract fails if the population does not hold members of Congress accountable for failing to act. That is where we are today.

6 hours ago, Nivek said:

I was just thinking, we need more old people in charge of government since they are so under represented.

Seriously, the minimum age doesn’t need to be messed with. There needs to be a maximum age instituted. 

• Like 2