Jon Stewart Knocks It Out of the Park

pepper brooks

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What’s a shame is that people were warning that the first responders weren’t properly trained or equipped while working on the 9/11 site.  I know you can’t take 6 months to develop a study but you can also take precautions that help prevent future problems. 

There was also the little matter of trying to rescue survivors from the rubble. Not really something you can dilly dally over. 

Bullshit.  It's all corrupt.

and yeah, the milineos who haven't done shit with their lives yet are so fucking wise. i should absolutely defer to their classroom theories.

LOLz.  

Old people elected and continue to support a literal conman. But yeah, those dumbass millennials. My eyes aren’t capable of the roll this idiotic comment deserves.
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

There was also the little matter of trying to rescue survivors from the rubble. Not really something you can dilly dally over. 

I don't believe that everyone covered in the first responders funds are those that were there in the hours immediately after the buildings collapse.

13 hours ago, slorch said:

don't make a fuck.

It ain't getting fixed by you "our side is so holy and the world is fucked when they disagree" motherfuckers.

"our politics is so enlightened...har, har, har.  You so dumb not to understand our version of negotiating."

yeah...whatever.  They(are) all fucked up.  No high ground at all.

You'll be saying this to rationalize why it's ok to continue supporting Trump when he begins ordering the murder of his political enemies.

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

You'll be saying this to rationalize why it's ok to continue supporting Trump when he begins ordering the murder of his political enemies.

You support murder more than I ever will, if ya wanna go down that road.

Semantics bro...

18 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

Obama has been gone for two years.  his 10 trillion in debt remains, but I am not blaming trump and the pathetic congress's trillion dollar deficits on him.  He owns 8 years of terrible policy and a lackluster recovery from a devastating recession.  trump and a continual pathetic congress dating back to paul ryan's reign of incompetence own the current financial mismanagement.  I am not sure how that makes me a gop apologist as you say, but whatever makes you feel better.  

Ahhhh yes Obama fault, I am sure he didn't inherit 2 wars that the Rs started or the deregulated housing market that crashed at bush last year and was a nice going away present to Obama 

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Great.  Thread started with Jon Stewart sticking up for 9/11 first responders and now it's about abortion.  Good job idoits.

Slorch’s fault.  He celebrates murder, ya know...because he doesn’t hate Trump enough.

Jon Stewart returned to TV today just as we left him: sitting behind a desk, anxiously clicking his pen as he carefully crafted an argument and called for justice. It could’ve been a monologue aired on any episode of “The Daily Show.” Almost. But instead of Comedy Central, Stewart appeared on our screens via C-SPAN. Instead of laughter, he instilled despair; his one-liners now cutting to our hearts rather than our funny bones. He’s still angry as ever, but he’s moved from the peanut gallery into the front row.

Embedded video

Jon Stewart testifies for September 11 Victim Compensation Fund: "Accountability doesn’t appear to be something that occurs in this chamber…I'm sorry if I sound angry and undiplomatic, but I am angry, and you should be too."

We should all take notes: This is what outrage looks like done right. This is how to use shame with purpose and precision, not as a blunt-force tool.

If you’ve been following the political comedian’s post-retirement life, today’s appearance in front of Congress may have been unexpected but not entirely unsurprising. Since leaving television in August 2015, Stewart has pursued a passion project to secure health coverage and benefits for the surviving 9/11 first responders, many of whom have been stricken with cancer and disease in the 18 years after breathing in the toxic fumes of the wreckage. The September 11th Victim Compensation Fund, which supplies first responders with healthcare, is set to expire next year. It should be a stain on all of us that these heroes could die without the help or care that they need.

Stewart knows this. But he knows who shares the burden of the blame, too.

His anger as incisive as it was indiscriminate, he took the entirety of Congress to task. He — like always— spoke truth to power, rather than point fingers at pawns or the powerless. He avoided partisan pot-shots to avoid lowering the argument into partisan terms. He didn’t condescend and he never breathed an air of arrogance. Appealing to equal measures of pathos and logic, Stewart did what he always has done: put a spotlight on feckless cynicism and made sure we all saw.

In many ways, Stewart left TV at the worst possible time. The long, furious burn of the 2016 primaries had just begun. Donald Trump — the frequent butt of many a Stewart joke — began to see a road to the White House. And if any lefty had the cachet to comment on and critique the Clinton-Sanders race, it’d have been Stewart. Surely the man who mastered righteous indignation would have spoken a guiding word or two on the dawning age of internet call-out and cancel culture.

Still, his departure is admirable. This is a man who could have had anything. He could still be on Comedy Central every night. He probably could’ve moved to HBO for a weekly show, or cashed out on Netflix. CNN would surely have hosted his talking head a few times a week. Any publication would welcome regular op-eds under his byline. He could sell out arena after arena on a national stand-up tour. He could command an army of social media followers. But he doesn’t. He graces our lives only in moments of dire need, every 10 months or so, tackling a problem surely all Americans can stand behind yet which still goes unaddressed.

In his wake, Stewart left a respectable family tree of disciples. His “Daily Show” successor, Trevor Noah, and alumni such as John Oliver and Samantha Bee get Emmy acclaim and go viral every other week. Longtime collaborator Stephen Colbert took over the reins from late night godfather David Letterman. NBC’s Seth Meyers’ entire shtick is in debt to Stewart. And yet, that voice of clarity and authority is lacking.

It’s easy to watch Stewart today and think, “Man, we could really use him right now.”

Instead, let’s learn from him. This is how you spark change: not through blind rage or by punching down, but rather unending commitment, arguing with wit, reason and humanity. And valuing, above all else, the truth.

Maybe then he can find his Moment of Zen.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/enterthefray/la-ol-jon-stewart-911-outrage-congress-20190611-story.html

Stinks we don't have him every day.  Seth Meyers is the best replacement, and it is still a B minus imitation.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, slorch said:

Bullshit.  It's all corrupt.

and yeah, the milineos who haven't done shit with their lives yet are so fucking wise. i should absolutely defer to their classroom theories.

LOLz.  

Millennials will start turning 40 in the next couple of years and are halfway done with their careers. Many of them starting late after dodging IED's in Iraq and Afghanistan (I have two employed for me). You're good at raising kids, but hell man it isn't 2005 anymore.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/enterthefray/la-ol-jon-stewart-911-outrage-congress-20190611-story.html

Stinks we don't have him every day.  Seth Meyers is the best replacement, and it is still a B minus imitation.  

I liked Seth Meyers on SNL "Weekend Update".  I mean, he's a likeable guy.  He's far from an ass.  He just doesn't have the wit or charm to carry his own show like the greats did.  I watch it fairly regularly, and although I like the fact that he routinely skewers Trump, it all has the vibe of him doing little more than reading some other writer's material.

58 minutes ago, slorch said:

Then celebrate your being a moron.

I do that daily, no need to encourage me.

I mean, nothing like your performance on this thread, but still.

Evidence provided showing that Democrats voted to fund this issue while Republicans refused to fund it because the tax cut hadn't been taken care of. Any intelligent human being realizes that in this particular case, this means that Republicans voted not to fund the 9/11 first responders fund until people got their taxes reduced. This, in effect, was a vote that said 9/11 first responders can't get their medical expenses taken care of until the wealthy get their money. Nobody in the thread denies that sometimes politicians from both sides do stupid shit, but on the topic of this thread, it is excessively clear to anyone with two brains cells that occasionally bump into each other that the GOP is the one that held up the funding. 

slorch response: BOTH SIDES I'M SMART WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK I'M DUMB

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I liked Seth Meyers on SNL "Weekend Update".  I mean, he's a likeable guy.  He's far from an ass.  He just doesn't have the wit or charm to carry his own show like the greats did.  I watch it fairly regularly, and although I like the fact that he routinely skewers Trump, it all has the vibe of him doing little more than reading some other writer's material.

No one has come up with a good follow up to Stewart’s tone.  “Ha ha ha listen to this joke but we all know I’m actually furious.”

51 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

If you think everyone around you is an idiot and an asshole, then it might be time to take a long, hard look in the mirror and reevaluate some of your positions and your worldview.

He sounds like a guy with no real friends. He probably has some people from church and the neighborhood that he is friendly with, but lacks true decades long meaningful friendships. I feel bad for him.

3 hours ago, slorch said:

You support murder more than I ever will, if ya wanna go down that road.

Semantics bro...

Straight out of the Fox News playbook.  When shown any of the myriad ways that elected Republicans are horrible human beings, pivot to:

A) But Hillary's emails!

B) But it's actually Obama's fault!

C) But y'all wanna murder fetuses!

D) But the economy's great!

A doesn't help you here.  B doesn't work here, either.  D actually makes this issue worse for y'all.  So you went with C.  I guess it's the only card you had to play.

• Like 4

It's not fair to the GOP to malign them for stalling all medical support for first responders for the last 12 years. Patriotism is about jingoistic reverence, not necessarily actual financial support. Let them say "never forget" and let that be the end if it. Why split hairs?

Same thing with "I support the troops." It's the right thing to say. Saying it doesn't mean you have to do shit, like that whole Walter Reed situation. Financing stuff is too big of a sacrifice for these people. Just put some shit on a bumper sticker, buy an eagle t-shirt or some shit and shut the fuck up about complicating things and whining about money and actual, tangible support. Ever heard of a metaphor? Sheesh.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Millennials will start turning 40 in the next couple of years and are halfway done with their careers. Many of them starting late after dodging IED's in Iraq and Afghanistan (I have two employed for me). You're good at raising kids, but hell man it isn't 2005 anymore.

This bugs me too. "millenials" has just become the word to describe lazy teenagers. But yeah, keep telling working folks in their mid and late 30's that they are lazy fucks who haven't done anything yet. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Chooky said:

It's not fair to the GOP to malign them for stalling all medical support for first responders for the last 12 years. Patriotism is about jingoistic reverence, not necessarily actual financial support. Let them say "never forget" and let that be the end if it. Why split hairs?

Clearly you don't remember the Great Coming Together of September 2001.

9-11-01-singing-ap-photo-kenneth-lambert.jpg?w=529&h=264

On 6/12/2019 at 1:24 PM, Chooky said:

Same thing with "I support the troops." It's the right thing to say. Saying it doesn't mean you have to do shit, like that whole Walter Reed situation. Financing stuff is too big of a sacrifice for these people. Just put some shit on a bumper sticker, buy an eagle t-shirt or some shit and shut the fuck up about complicating things and whining about money and actual, tangible support. Ever heard of a metaphor? Sheesh.

ea0b62f5-b5df-409a-9d1b-f53590f1ba4e.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Wow.  What a great way to do this. Hope he still has his fastball.  

His aging fastball is a peak Randy Johnson heater compared to the meatballs who were hosting recently. A guy named Charlamgne the God was hosting and he made Trevor Noah look like Dave Chappelle.

• Haha 1

Just now, BeardIP said:

His aging fastball is a peak Randy Johnson heater compared to the meatballs who were hosting recently. A guy named Charlamgne the God was hosting and he made Trevor Noah look like Dave Chappelle.

8 years of probably the biggest fumble of a valuable brand i can think of.  the current trajectory would have them with jared from subway hosting next year.

7 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

8 years of probably the biggest fumble of a valuable brand i can think of.  the current trajectory would have them with jared from subway hosting next year.

I think hosting and replacing good hosts-- like coaching hires-- is one of those things you have to get lucky in a way. But yea, I feel like bringing him back will bring the mojo back which will bring the eyeballs and mindshare they've lost back.

Edited by BeardIP

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 12:05 PM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Noah ended up being fantastic. I didn't like him at first. Not sure if he improved or I was just used to Stewart but in the latter years he was just as good if not better IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It felt weird watching it in a post-Trump world. And the bothsiderisms were a bit much (oh Biden is old? Didn't know). But it felt like the old show.

I think it'd be lame to do a political comedy show and not make fun of Biden some. Not really the same as bothsiderism in my view. 

1 minute ago, Hookah Horns said:

I think it'd be lame to do a political comedy show and not make fun of Biden some. Not really the same as bothsiderism in my view. 

It's also about to swing seriously in the other direction with Klepper hosting the rest of the week.

So IMO the biggest void in the media world is a personality that has a consensus reputation among the population as an “honest broker.”  We do not have a perceived Walter Cronkite as our boomer ancestors did.  John Stewart is no Cronkite but if he’s attempting to fill that void, I salute him. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

Noah ended up being fantastic. I didn't like him at first. Not sure if he improved or I was just used to Stewart but in the latter years he was just as good if not better IMO. 

You fool, do you realize what you've done?? You've complimented Trevor Noah and thusly inadvertently lit the WhatTheBuck bat signal. You might as well say that George W. Bush seems like a decent man while you're at it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7
  • Prepare your anus 1