Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

You are deflecting from valid push back on the wrong headed notion that the moral character of an individual can be judged based on their bank account by ranting about Republicans. It's really not that hard. You can judge the moral character of neither the poor, nor the rich, nor all the gradations in between, by their bank account balance. How about instead of deflecting you say, you know what, it is wrong when people demonize the poor as having an intrinsic moral insufficiency, and it is wrong to demonize the rich has having an intrinsic moral insufficiency. Instead, you see pigs rolling around in the slop and think that the only way to compete is to jump in the mud with them.  Maybe you are right.  Good luck with that. 

You think that our political system can be saved if some of us just choose to fight by Marquess of Queensberry rules.....while the opposition uses knives, guns, and clubs.  All that leads to is the "fair fighters" getting slaughtered.  Which is exactly what has happened.

So, we have only two options before us -- and they tell us that your wish of "Good luck" is a pipe dream.  1) Fight back the same way.  Result: the Republic has gone down a path that can't be fixed.  2) Don't fight back.  Result: the Republic has gone down a path that can't be fixed.

The singular wrong committed in the past decades has been the dedicated effort by the right to dispose of all norms, rules, the rule of law, etc.  The ends justify the means, period.  That departure from any sense of process, rules, and order, means that we've already lost, and we can't win it back.

So, you can preach the virtues of just sitting back and take it.  Fuck that.  I say we go down fighting.

• Like 4

I'll just ask, how can we have a meaningful conversation if the other side does nothing BUT that?  We're toast.  Poor people are fucked, because they'll be relentlessly demonized, and any counterattack will be attacked by "well meaning folks" like you.  Which is EXACTLY how the GOP wants it.  You're a useful idiot.

I mean, that behavior towards poor people is happening in real time right in this thread.

Air Jordans
Rims
Meth
Layaway

It’s all dog whistling intended to imply poor folks are trashy with bad judgment and that they deserve to stay where they are because they can’t be trusted with the responsibility of having money.
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I mean, that behavior towards poor people is happening in real time right in this thread.

Air Jordans
Rims
Meth
Layaway

It’s all dog whistling intended to imply poor folks are trashy with bad judgment and that they deserve to stay where they are because they can’t be trusted with the responsibility of having money.

Yep.  And they get away with it.  Over, and over -- repetition creates the narrative.  Fuck that shit.

Lies, cruelty, and volume are the only currency of any political value in the current market.  Best get you some, and more than the other guys, or lose.

• Like 2

Just now, F250 said:

Shit has gone full retard in this thread, I hope some of you have been under the influence of drugs or alcohol while posting and not suffering from brain worms.

Look, what matters is that Billionaires are gods among men, and should be defended to the death, and anyone who dares suggest they even pay one cent more in taxes is the devil, and it is our patriotic duty to defend them at every turn, and oppose the devil who would dare tax them.   Oh, and we also have to make sure that we put the blame for all of our ills where it REALLY lies....on poor people.  Who waste all their money on Jordans and rims [wink wink].

You're goddamned right, we've gone full retard.  Fuck, "We've Gone Full Retard" might as well be engraved on our fucking coinage, in place of "In God We Trust."

• Like 2

imagine waking up every morning and thinking to yourself that the people who have nothing have too goddamn much
And being mad that people want to take a fair share from billionaires who have rigged our entire democracy to give then power and money at everyone else's expense.

But Jordans and rims!
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

imply poor folks are trashy with bad judgment

Dog whistle or not, this is largely true. “Poor” people all over America prioritize filling their house with shit from WalMart, rather than saving. “Poor” people all over America prioritize their next oxy fix over life. “Poor” people in America prioritize watching cable after work in lieu of hitting the local cc to try and get ahead. A “poor” American is better off than 75% of the rest of the entire world. 

5 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

because they can’t be trusted with the responsibility of having money.

What money?  The “free” money from the govt?   Yeah fuck me for wanting to keep more of what I’ve sacrificed to earn in lieu of giving it to someone who frankly, has never shown they can be trusted with it.  Ever see how it turns out for the the poor guy who spends some of his meager check and finally hits It big on the lotto?  Broke again in 36 months, like clockwork. How about you let me determine how much my money we need to give the Waltons, you worry about how your gonna get that next carton of Winstons.  

Personally, I hope the billionaires start throwing their weight around. Quickly yank all that money out the stock market, see how that goes for John Q Public’s 401k. Determine the delta from the new proposed taxes and take that out of their charitable gifts.  Move their money overseas. I wouldn’t blame a single one of them.   These potential leaders of the free world are threatening, and sending a strong fuck you to them. I hope they get one right back. This country obviously needs to be reminded that most of the billionaires are billionaires because they are extremely intelligent and other worldly determined.  

America!  The land of fucking beggars and freeloaders. 

37 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Dog whistle or not, this is largely true. “Poor” people all over America prioritize filling their house with shit from WalMart, rather than saving. “Poor” people all over America prioritize their next oxy fix over life. “Poor” people in America prioritize watching cable after work in lieu of hitting the local cc to try and get ahead. A “poor” American is better off than 75% of the rest of the entire world. 

What money?  The “free” money from the govt?   Yeah fuck me for wanting to keep more of what I’ve sacrificed to earn in lieu of giving it to someone who frankly, has never shown they can be trusted with it.  Ever see how it turns out for the the poor guy who spends some of his meager check and finally hits It big on the lotto?  Broke again in 36 months, like clockwork. How about you let me determine how much my money we need to give the Waltons, you worry about how your gonna get that next carton of Winstons.  

Personally, I hope the billionaires start throwing their weight around. Quickly yank all that money out the stock market, see how that goes for John Q Public’s 401k. Determine the delta from the new proposed taxes and take that out of their charitable gifts.  Move their money overseas. I wouldn’t blame a single one of them.   These potential leaders of the free world are threatening, and sending a strong fuck you to them. I hope they get one right back. This country obviously needs to be reminded that most of the billionaires are billionaires because they are extremely intelligent and other worldly determined.  

Wow.  After reading this, I was consumed with just one thought.  You know...the billionaire big shot, and the poor man (regardless of circumstance) are going to end up in the exact same place.  Bones to dust.  I wonder whose dust had the most influence on each other’s circumstance.  Whose dust was most responsible for the other’s circumstance.

Edited by ruitxn

3 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

Wow.  After reading this, I was consumed with just one thought.  You know...the billionaire big shot, and the poor man (regardless of circumstance) are going to end up in the exact same place.  Bones to dust.  I wonder whose dust had the most influence on each other’s circumstance.  Whose dust was most responsible for the other’s circumstance.

Who’s had more influence on the world? The billionaire pays more to society thru taxes than a poor person in 10 lifetimes.  

Most give away hundreds of millions of dollars. They aren’t required to. Requiring them to because “life isn’t fair” is bullshit. 

26 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Who’s had more influence on the world? The billionaire pays more to society thru taxes than a poor person in 10 lifetimes.  

Most give away hundreds of millions of dollars. They aren’t required to. Requiring them to because “life isn’t fair” is bullshit. 

That is one perspective for sure.  I guess yours.  Mother Teresa and those she trained and the poor lepers in India might have another.

Edited by ruitxn

1 minute ago, ruitxn said:

That is one perspective for sure.  I guess yours.  Mother Teresa and the lepers in India might have another.

True. 

The poors in India think the poors here have it pretty good, though.  At least the ones I witnessed.  Many, living in absolute squalor. 

It’s pretty obvious there is a large subset of our population that needs help, some of them a lot. We can agree on that?  We just disagree where the money should come from.  And whether it should be forced giving, or given thru organizations solely created for that purpose. 

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Look, what matters is that Billionaires are gods among men, and should be defended to the death, and anyone who dares suggest they even pay one cent more in taxes is the devil, and it is our patriotic duty to defend them at every turn, and oppose the devil who would dare tax them.   Oh, and we also have to make sure that we put the blame for all of our ills where it REALLY lies....on poor people.  Who waste all their money on Jordans and rims [wink wink].

You're goddamned right, we've gone full retard.  Fuck, "We've Gone Full Retard" might as well be engraved on our fucking coinage, in place of "In God We Trust."

This isn't a binary issue, pointing out the irrationality of some of the arguments being made here doesn't necessitate the defense of billionaires. Just because you are succumbing to populist demagoguery doesn't invalidate the basic principles of reason and logic.

The Trumpkins are full retard but that doesn't mean the opposition must do so, eating shit to make the cons cry isn't necessary.

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Really glad to see a “bootstraps, stop being poor” post.  

Some of these billionaires are the biggest freeloading pieces of shit in this country.  They write their own tax laws, get bailed out when they fail, and will betray this country for a few extra nickels.  They do this right in front of our faces and we’re supposed to thank them for being job creators.  Yeah okay. 

But the single mom clipping coupons and working two jobs to afford her sick kid’s medication is the real leech on society because she’s asking for universal healthcare. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 5

Luck (otherwise known as random chance) introduces an element that most refuse to acknowledge, IMO. Fattyflattie argues that poor people have misplaced priorities and he/she appears to wholly follow the Horatio Algier philosophy instead of including The Grapes of Wrath, The Jungle, etc. No one would argue that life is fair, but the whims of chance when combined with poverty, oppression, etc are conveniently ignored by the intellectually lazy who make assumptions and generalizations that, when in turn, are compared to the upper classes show just how the laws favor those born into wealth and privilege.

• Like 3

Imagine going through life being consumed by hatred of the less fortunate like this guy. What a miserable outlook on life.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hornhorn said:

There are no countries that can have private charities of our size because of one simple reason, they do not have capital markets like we do. Look at the top 10 companies of US and then compare them to the ones in Europe, Asia etc. Most of our companies are around a generation old or younger, almost all of their companies are over a 100 years old. Which also means that wealth stays in the same place which isn't the case in the US. That growth allows for different people to become successful and create private charities of size that we see. Europe does not offer that, neither does Asia. 

Yes, we have bigger philanthropic outfits because we have alarmingly high wealth inequality.

This wasn't the question at all, and you know that because the answer invalidates your idiotic beliefs.

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

It’s pretty obvious there is a large subset of our population that needs help, some of them a lot. We can agree on that?  We just disagree where the money should come from.  And whether it should be forced giving, or given thru organizations solely created for that purpose. 

How do we ensure that actually happens? What prevents people from dying on the street of drug overdoses if private charities do not wish to address that problem?

Dog whistle or not, this is largely true. “Poor” people all over America prioritize filling their house with shit from WalMart, rather than saving. “Poor” people all over America prioritize their next oxy fix over life. “Poor” people in America prioritize watching cable after work in lieu of hitting the local cc to try and get ahead.

This is factually incorrect.

There are 12 million full-time American workers who are in poverty.

They have jobs. They are still poor. And they are trying to care for networks of children and elderly.

I know you like this Republican hate narrative and I know it makes you feel good about yourself, but facts don't care about your feelings.

This country obviously needs to be reminded that most of the billionaires are billionaires because they are extremely intelligent and other worldly determined.  

Again, factually incorrect.

But even if it were true, which it's not, are intelligence and determination good reasons to allow exploitative piles of useless wealth while millions suffer? Are intelligence and determination measurable things that we can prove exist in a higher amount in these people?

Of those who worked their way to billions, how did they actually start? Like Elon Musk using endless family investments from his wealthy family to buy his way into things he didn't actually create? Like Zuckerberg starting with every imaginable privilege?

Are people, like Buffett, who are obsessed with money from an early age superior people who qualitatively deserve billions?

Are people, like Gates, who are corrupt, monopolistic, secretive, and vindictive superior people who qualitatively deserve billions?

Bigger question: Why is your rhetoric so furiously emotional?

46 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Luck (otherwise known as random chance) introduces an element that most refuse to acknowledge, IMO. Fattyflattie argues that poor people have misplaced priorities and he/she appears to wholly follow the Horatio Algier philosophy instead of including The Grapes of Wrath, The Jungle, etc. No one would argue that life is fair, but the whims of chance when combined with poverty, oppression, etc are conveniently ignored by the intellectually lazy who make assumptions and generalizations that, when in turn, are compared to the upper classes show just how the laws favor those born into wealth and privilege.

The  below is appropriate for this discussion. Opportunity is what makes America, America, but it isn't and has never been equally available. We should strive,though, to make it available to all. Also, you can debate equality of opportunity versus outcome but the truth is there's not much difference. No one chooses to be poor.

Edited by horncyclist

Some of these billionaires are the biggest freeloading pieces of shit in this country.  They write their own tax laws, get bailed out when they fail, and will betray this country for a few extra nickels.  They do this right in front of our faces and we’re supposed to thank them for being job creators.  Yeah okay. 
But the single mom clipping coupons and working two jobs to afford her sick kid’s medication is the real leech on society because she’s asking for universal healthcare. 

Only two? That poor child is just sick of his mom’s idleness. Nothing wrong with him that pluck, moxie, gumption and high spirits won’t cure!

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

nah, just wasting time while stuck on a family vacation. why do you think healthcare isn’t a priority for her?

You get the structural changes that the first three priorities represent and the healthcare fight will be easier, though still hard. 

Just now, henrygandorf said:

nah, just wasting time while stuck on a family vacation. why do you think healthcare isn’t a priority for her?

It's a priority, but not as high up as I'd like. She's #2 on healthcare.

I would like for her to be openly bold about saying "SINGLE PAYER NOW MOTHERFUCKERS" (perhaps not with such course language) and not being too-clever-by-half.

I think she's married herself to it, though, which is good.

Unlike far worse candidates.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

why isn’t liz prioritizing healthcare?!?

(we’re just asking questions, right?)

Her ideology, and she explains this often, is the biggest roadblock to getting anything done (on healthcare, guns, climate, student loan debt) is the subversive money that has compromised our democracy.  You can’t approach single payer healthcare with much hope of success until you unfuck the rigged system.  That’s why her priority is getting rid of the self dealing, lobbyists, and filibuster first followed by the wealth tax to fund universal children, student loan debt relief, public education, and healthcare second. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I think she's married herself to it, though, which is good.

agreed with this. i still worry her stance will soften in the general, but you can’t do shit if you don’t win, so whatever it takes. 

just seems odd not to at least list it in your top 3, considering the current landscape. 

5 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Are some of the poors some of the biggest pieces of shit in the country? Abusing their kids in favor of getting a drug fix?  Selling their kids for sex?  Killing their unborn children because of their drug addictions?  Flat out leaving kids in dumpsters?  

Why are you only giving examples of how the rich can be bad people?  Why not talk about how everyone in the US has the opportunity to be one of the biggest pieces of shit in the country?

46 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Hard to watch. Yikes. 

It’s a gotcha question and she handled it perfectly.  Any criticism she might espouse on the process would be either be perceived as her delegitimizing the process and/or alienating Iowa/NH voters.  She was having none of it. 

Jose, of the Khive, is grasping at straws. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

lol @ Warren receiving an alley oop of a question and then, instead of dunking it with something obvious about the need for Big Structural Change, stabbing the ball with a knife and cutting off her own finger in the process

I mean, all you have to do is praise Iowa and New Hampshire as wonderful states and then make the obvious point that there should be rotation and that if the voices of the people aren't amplified properly then the DNC needs to "look at" potential changes.

Call for a commission within the DNC to look at it.

Just not... whatever the hell that was.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s a gotcha question and she handled it perfectly.  Any criticism she might espouse on the process would be either be perceived as her delegitimizing the process and/or alienating Iowa/NH voters.  She was having none of it. 

Jose, of the Khive, is grasping at straws. 

Yes, she handled it perfectly by seeming agitated by and dismissive of the question, then trying to get the fuck out of there ASAP.  Perfection. Navigating through gotcha questions is part of a candidate's responsibility. She needs to get a lot better at it, because they're gonna get way worse in the general election.

Agreed that the #KHive sucks. But that has nothing to do with the video. 

Amy Goodman isn't some stooge of the Biden, Harris, or even Sanders campaign. That's a basic, reasonable question from a decades-established progressive investigative journalist to a woman trying to become queen of the progressives, who only decided within the last calendar year that publicly fighting for minority rights is important. And the answer was not confidence-inspiring.

20 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Amy Goodman isn't some stooge of the Biden, Harris, or even Sanders campaign. That's a basic, reasonable question from a decades-established progressive investigative journalist to a woman trying to become queen of the progressives, who only decided within the last calendar year that publicly fighting for minority rights is important. And the answer was not confidence-inspiring.

Can Warren change? It may take some introspection that she may not have yet done, but I would like to think she can. Going way back in time, she was a product of the Norman/OKC schools which were segregated for long after the Civil Rights Act, both de jure and de facto IIRC. While she may be familiar with having a low socioeconomic status, the problems unique to minorities are something to which she needs more exposure. I'm sure I do. I have been fighting for balanced public schools for a number of years, and the pushback is intense. In many areas our public schools are more segregated than they were in the 1970's.

I think when you have a weakness, you should own it but in politics, I don't know if that works. I'm not as savvy with regards to strategy so I don't know if something like that (lack of knowledge/awareness) is perceived as a fatal flaw.

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, because it’s not news. 

Lots of things candidates say shouldn't be news, but they are typically talked about or commented on. 

Warren clearly has a lot of allies in the non-conservative print and online journalism world. 

She's probably the only candidate that wouldn't get obliterated by the media on Twitter for this stuff.

Edited by Hank Kingsley