Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

41 minutes ago, troph said:

If you haven’t figured it out, I’m done with you. This isn’t about the best ideas for you, this is about sparring, winning arguments and telling people why they are wrong.

Not interested anymore.

I do think it's worth thinking about, though, when someone says they want to just roll back the clock on capitalism back when it was good, we should know what we're talking about. Because otherwise it's just, "Shut up, peasants, let me have my privilege."

Right?

Hmmm, something to think about.

I do think it's worth thinking about, though, when someone says they want to just roll back the clock on capitalism back when it was good, we should know what we're talking about. Because otherwise it's just, "Shut up, peasants, let me have my privilege."
Right?
Hmmm, something to think about.

2e7d38af0ad3b9e55a42bca61a343a79.jpg

On 2/21/2020 at 1:10 PM, TwiceHorn said:

In the final analysis, she's not a very good national politician.  She sticks to her principles until the realities of the election and national politics sink in and then she panders and deviates from her previously strongly held principles.

This, she is terrible at campaigning. It was a strategic mistake to run in the same lane as Bernie which forced her to hop over to the Biden lane after falling behind and then swerve back into the Bernie lane when necessary. The swerving came off as very inauthentic which I don't think she is, she probably got a lot of bad advice. It was also a mistake to partner with Castro because that was straight up pandering and obviously didn't pay off. She should have stalked Biden and waited for his eventual collapse like Pete did.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, F250 said:

This, she is terrible at campaigning. It was a strategic mistake to run in the same lane as Bernie which forced her to hop over to the Biden lane after falling behind and then swerve back into the Bernie lane when necessary. The swerving came off as very inauthentic which I don't think she is, she probably got a lot of bad advice. It was also a mistake to partner with Castro because that was straight up pandering and obviously didn't pay off. She should have stalked Biden and waited for his eventual collapse like Pete did.

That lane was called THE SENATOR ELIZABETH WARREN PROGRESSIVE LANE in 2016, but she knew that the primary was fixed and that there was zero possibility of her beating Hillary for the nomination. If it hadn't been fixed, I think that she would have crushed Hillary and Bernie would have dropped out after Nevada, because Warren had the center & left part of the Democratic party... but the longer she stayed out, the bigger Bernie got. People thirsted for their message, but since she didn't get in, many went to Bernie and some went to Trump. (Independents, not Democrats.)

Bernie built such a massive following of screwed over Americans that Hillary lost in 2016 as a result of bitterness from Democrats & Independents who were sick of establishment politics.

In 2020, Senator Warren got into the presidential race, but her base had become Bernie's base and they were sticking with their guy... and that was that.

I'd like to see her as an A.G. more than a VP. I feel like a VP needs to come from the Midwest. Preferably Michigan or Wisconsin, but with Ohio being the #3 choice.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, F250 said:

She should have taken a similar path as Yang and Inslee and run as a single-issue candidate. But unlike those two, she is so good at that one issue, anti-corruption in her case, that she would have gone far into the primary just hammering on that. Instead, she felt the need to have a plan for everything and become a "total" candidate. I agree that getting caught up in Bernie's wheelhouse, M4A, really cost her.

She was my choice, then I started to waver 50/50 with Bernie. Wednesday night's debate put me back on her side (she is soooo good speaking truth to power) but Bernie's cleanup in Nevada makes me think I should go full bro. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

4 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

...She was my choice, then I started to waver 50/50 with Bernie. Wednesday night's debate put me back on her side (she is soooo good speaking truth to power) but Bernie's cleanup in Nevada makes me think I should go full bro. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Same

Just now, MidTexHorn said:

I know what I’m going to do. I love Liz, think she would be a great President but she’s not a great candidate. She’s been my #1 pick, but it ain’t happening. I’m jumping on the Bernie train. All aboard! Let’s kick Trumps ass!

This race drives home the pitfall of the old adage that a candidate has to run as far to the left as their nearest competitor in the primary and then turn heel and run back to the center for the general.  If batshit crazy Bernie and his cult were not in the picture then Senator Warren could have stayed more towards the center and kicked fucking ass.  She could have been another Bill Clinton / Barack Obama, but to the Bernie Bros that's not good enough.

I said it when Bernie announced his candidacy and I'll say it again.  He's going to fuck this up for all of us.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

This race drives home the pitfall of the old adage that a candidate has to run as far to the left as their nearest competitor in the primary and then turn heel and run back to the center for the general.  If batshit crazy Bernie and his cult were not in the picture then Senator Warren could have stayed more towards the center and kicked fucking ass.  She could have been another Bill Clinton / Barack Obama, but to the Bernie Bros that's not good enough.

I said it when Bernie announced his candidacy and I'll say it again.  He's going to fuck this up for all of us.

No he is not. His win will be glorious.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

You are a fucking beatdown.  Worse than the Bernie bros you love to ridicule. GTFO or get on board man. Bernie is way to my left but this is happening. Get with it or get with Trump dude. 

9 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Bernie gets the latent misogynist vote that neither Hillary nor Warren can.  That’s a big part of how he wins in November.  However his coattails are going to be nubs.  

That last part is huge, and really undermines everything the progressives lining up behind him want to accomplish. No chance any meaningful legislation gets passed. And if Dems lose ground in more state legislatures, good luck holding/retaking the HOR again after the post ‘20 census gerrymandering spree. Oh, and watch RBGs seat remain vacant until Ivanka gets in after the ‘24 backlash. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

She should have taken a similar path as Yang and Inslee and run as a single-issue candidate. But unlike those two, she is so good at that one issue, anti-corruption in her case, that she would have gone far into the primary just hammering on that. Instead, she felt the need to have a plan for everything and become a "total" candidate. I agree that getting caught up in Bernie's wheelhouse, M4A, really cost her.

She was my choice, then I started to waver 50/50 with Bernie. Wednesday night's debate put me back on her side (she is soooo good speaking truth to power) but Bernie's cleanup in Nevada makes me think I should go full bro. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

With so many candidates, it's been difficult. She has my vote this week in the primary (early voter) because my primary vote will go towards the candidate I support most and that is Warren.

W/respect to the campaigning: when Warren is fighting on behalf of people, her sincerity shines through, it is why when she speaks about the changes she has fought for in the banking industry it resonates. When she was debating Bloomberg and grilling him about the NDAs it resonated because I'm sitting there watching that condescending asshole try and wave it away like it's no big deal. Raise your hand in a room of women if that has ever happened and a lot of us will have both arms up in the air. It resonated because it was sincere. But where she flounders is attacking just to attack. It looks like reaching because it is. She fundamentally does not seem to be that kind of person. And you know what? I support that because we already have an asshole in the Oval Office and I don't want another one.

• Like 3

Bernie gets the latent misogynist vote that neither Hillary nor Warren can.  That’s a big part of how he wins in November.  However his coattails are going to be nubs.  

Presidential coat tails are almost always minimal in relation to the house.

I had some interesting conversations on my calls for Warren yesterday.

A couple of olds I spoke to went Biden and Bloomberg. They sounded desperate for normalcy and won't vote Trump but they were also worried about Bernie. I wonder if that will make them stay home in the general. I just thanked them for voting blue and to stay with it come November.

I also spoke to a few Warren backers, at least 5.  

Spoke to a Bernie bro out in college station. He wasn't hard Bernie so I got him to check out her website for her plans. He sounded like he would.

There were three undecideds that I may have done a good job getting them to lean Warren.

The most interesting convo I had was with a black fella from San Antonio. He was hard Trump and blamed the last 3 years on the democrats that had done nothing at all. He also said that the economy was good and a lot of folks he knew where doing better. I think he said he was an investigator and that he used to be a democrat but now he is hard Trump because he was delivering on the economy. I just pointed out that all the stuff the house passed was being held up by the Senate so I wasn't sure what he meant but I respected his opinion and thanked him for his time.  He sort of threw me for a loop cuz I was talking to folks that voted democrat and wasn't expecting it. There was no need wasting my breath anyway.

One other interesting convo was with an older Hispanic guy. He was an undecided and I may have helped Warren's case with him. He said that he thought the republicans were the party of death. That their blocking gun control and blocking legislation to improve climate health and blocking many millions from affordable healthcare were costing lives. It was a powerful statement because he was a man of modest means and he saw this truth that is staring right at us. It made me think of that line in the movie of Josie Wales where he is talking to the chief Ten Bears and they are talking about fighting or not. 

Ten Bears:

It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life.

We have picked life and we must fight for it with every vote cast blue. I will call for her again during the week to see if I can maybe get her on the minds of some folks still undecided or with weak leans. 

It was a good couple of hours spent. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Bernie would create a lot of new Joe Manchin's in the House and Senate.  Anyone representing a purple district or state is going to be leery about being seen as chummy with Bernie.

Only if they are stupid. Elections aren't won anymore by engaging with a limited number of swing voters. Elections are won by turning out the base.

Republicans know this, but corporate media cons Democrats into thinking they can win from the middle and it seldom works.

One study I read said 7% of voters are swing voters while over 40% are non-voters. Then 52% of non-voters lean Democratic and 12% are neutral. 

The easiest way to win is to get Democratic leaning and sympathetic neutral non-voters to actually vote. Convincing swing voters to change is far more difficult.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So what's her stance on beans in chili.

She graduated from the University of Houston, so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that she knows that chili inherently does NOT have been in it.

bx7xzml6buz31.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Does not look like a bean cooker.

-41dfaea50ad5ef45.JPG