Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

On 1/13/2022 at 12:04 PM, gmr548 said:

She’s a bad politician. 

She’s good enough of a politician to be elected twice by her Massachusetts constituents. It’s just that her ultra-progressive message doesn’t sell nationwide.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

What do you think would be the right amount, nationwide?  

Good question and a hard one to answer as COL variances across the US but at least double that.

We hear stories everyday how pay today hasn't matched inflation and how it was easier to make ends meet in the 60's, 70', 80's and while that seems to be true, people still worked for 40+ hours week in those times and lived pay check to check. Not having enough to put away for retirement on their own yet has SS deducted rom each pay check with the idea that come retirement there would be a little nest to egg them get by. 

What does 25k a year do for a retiree living in Houston or Dallas or SA today who worked paycheck to paycheck during their prime working years? Sure its something but its below the poverty line.

I think SS in its current form is outdated garbage, the rate of return is terrible and it needs an overhaul

41 minutes ago, Smax said:

Good question and a hard one to answer as COL variances across the US but at least double that.

We hear stories everyday how pay today hasn't matched inflation and how it was easier to make ends meet in the 60's, 70', 80's and while that seems to be true, people still worked for 40+ hours week in those times and lived pay check to check. Not having enough to put away for retirement on their own yet has SS deducted rom each pay check with the idea that come retirement there would be a little nest to egg them get by. 

What does 25k a year do for a retiree living in Houston or Dallas or SA today who worked paycheck to paycheck during their prime working years? Sure its something but its below the poverty line.

I think SS in its current form is outdated garbage, the rate of return is terrible and it needs an overhaul

There's no doubt it needs an overhaul, but ask me if that poor grandma who now lives in a spare room with one of her kids, and their kids, if that extra 25k a year isn't helpful for everyone to eat and get by when the household's combined income without it is about 60k...

There's no doubt it needs an overhaul, but ask me if that poor grandma who now lives in a spare room with one of her kids, and their kids, if that extra 25k a year isn't helpful for everyone to eat and get by when the household's combined income without it is about 60k...
Of course, it's helpful, 10k a year is helpful, but Warren acting like what amount to a 12% increase is something to be heralded is shameful

9 minutes ago, Smax said:
1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Of course, it's helpful, 10k a year is helpful, but Warren acting like what amount to a 12% increase is something to be heralded is shameful

Just to be clear, if the currently benefits are 1700, and she's proposing to add 700 per month to that 1700, for a total of 2400, that is an increase of 40%. Not 12%. 

A 40% increase in anything in government to me is pretty worthy of heralding. Or if we're talking about Tax Cuts by Republicans, or cutting funding in schools, or pretty much any of the fuckery they're doing pretty fucking apocalyptic. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Just to be clear, if the currently benefits are 1700, and she's proposing to add 700 per month to that 1700, for a total of 2400, that is an increase of 40%. Not 12%. 

A 40% increase in anything in government to me is pretty worthy of heralding. Or if we're talking about Tax Cuts by Republicans, or cutting funding in schools, or pretty much any of the fuckery they're doing pretty fucking apocalyptic. 

I'm reading it as a $200 a month increase, where are you getting $700?

• Hook 'Em 1