Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

27 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If you're wondering whether your representatives in Congress support a federal ban on facial recognition, you can check out a score sheet put together by a coalition of privacy advocates.  

https://www.banfacialrecognition.com/scoreboard/

On Wednesday, the Ban Facial Recognition group launched its Congressional Scoreboard for keeping track of lawmakers who have and haven't endorsed the Facial Recognition and Biometric Technology Moratorium Act. 

This is cool. The majority of Congress hasn't been involved but it's a fairly unknown issue. Not surprised to see Wyden in the mix. Dude has been tops in Congress when it comes to privacy rights.

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

She is so right.

I’ll fight until it’s shown that fighting (using the weapons of democracy) has been defeated. After that, I’m out.  This election is it for me. I’ve got one life to live and I’m not going to waste any more of it on a system that is run by con men and dregs. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Your reserves are depleted. You sound tired. The thing she is talking about is not quitting on ourselves, the best selves that we want to be. A country, like a marriage is something that you work on everyday so it doesn't get so hard. If you let shit slide or fester, then you have to work real hard to get it back and then even harder to move it forward. It takes all your back and legs and grit to keep it going. When good people like her say the truth that it is fucking hard, then nobodies like me want to work my way up that steep hill covered in broken glass to do my part. Get your batteries recharged brother, because this nation is worth fighting for and you know it. All the shit that we let happen by not working at it everyday can get mended and repaired by lots of fucking effort. Luckily, the younger folks seem to be willing to throw their backs into it so I won't quit on them if I can help it. It sucks when you tilt your head up and look at the top of the hill  and wonder how the fuck you are going to get to the top, but if you look at what is right in front of you, the steps that are right there, is the way you end up at the top. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

Your reserves are depleted. You sound tired. The thing she is talking about is not quitting on ourselves, the best selves that we want to be. A country, like a marriage is something that you work on everyday so it doesn't get so hard. If you let shit slide or fester, then you have to work real hard to get it back and then even harder to move it forward. It takes all your back and legs and grit to keep it going. When good people like her say the truth that it is fucking hard, then nobodies like me want to work my way up that steep hill covered in broken glass to do my part. Get your batteries recharged brother, because this nation is worth fighting for and you know it. All the shit that we let happen by not working at it everyday can get mended and repaired by lots of fucking effort. Luckily, the younger folks seem to be willing to throw their backs into it so I won't quit on them if I can help it. It sucks when you tilt your head up and look at the top of the hill  and wonder how the fuck you are going to get to the top, but if you look at what is right in front of you, the steps that are right there, is the way you end up at the top. 

Yeah but I didn’t marry my country. I was born into it. I’m not going to continue an abusive relationship when it’s clear that I cannot win. 

Well good for you for never having to love a broken thing. My dad had PTSD from his WWII experiences. He was fun and loving but he could turn on a dime. I  got a bit fucked up by that shit. But I do know he loved me and I do know that he was worthy my love. 

You can do what you think you need to do but just know that you are defined by your efforts. You will judge yourself by what you are willing to do for your country and by how much you are willing to help those that deem it worth fighting for.

• Hook 'Em 3

A lot of people do not have any alternative as to choosing any other place to live.  This is their country, it's where they were born and they don't have the funds to repatriate somewhere else.  Their choices are to let things continue to deteriorate, or start fighting harder to unseat the greedy power mongers who have wheedled their way into control.   Our first big battle is obviously the vote this Nov, but there will be more after that, no matter which way the election falls. 

My whole life I have believed that America stood for making the world a better place for all people, at home and abroad.  As BOBs put it, our complacency allowed us to be overrun slowly by a cancer of control.  We got fat and lazy,  like a fat hog at the trough.   Trump and his moronic administration has exposed this by taking it to authoritarian extremes.  His ineptness has shown us just how far we have fallen and has accelerated the resistance.   It has ignited a spark of pride in people, on both sides.   

So for some, it's fighting for the ideals, and for others it's more fighting to make the world they were dealt more habitable.  As for me, I will support those who uphold and brandish my ideals of America, and will fight with them to put the focus of our country back on those ideals, instead of enriching the upper 1%.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Tom said:

Because she's fucking awesome.  When she got slapped out of the primary race, she threw her weight behind Biden and they became close friends and confidants.  Now after not getting the VP pick she's immediately and without hesitation throwing her weight behind Kamala.  She supports what's best for the country, even when it doesn't support her political goals.  

She's great and I hope Biden has something special for her because my fear is we're going to waste one of the brightest political minds of this era.

We won’t waste it. She’ll have a visible and influential position. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Not specifically about Warren, but I do hope that all the female contenders rally around each other and support each other and the Biden/Harris team. Not to take ANYTHING away from the guys, but it was very nice to have discussions about their strengths and weaknesses that had everything to do with their past or projected future actions and policies and not their looks or anything else that was subjectively due to their gender. They would all make a damn impressive 'Ocean's 8' political group and it's nice that one Party knows that inclusiveness and diversity enables humans to thrive.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Tom said:

She's great and I hope Biden has something special for her because my fear is we're going to waste one of the brightest political minds of this era.

I hope he appoints her to the Head of the unfuck everything Tump fuck upped Commission.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Superhero said:

I hope he appoints her to the Head of the unfuck everything Tump fuck upped Commission.

It’s close to a new Cabinet position I proposed awhile back called the Secretary of Unfuckery. Senator Warren would kick all kinds of ass in that position, even moreso than she currently does. 

26 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It might be a bit naive at this point to believe that Biden is actually going to give Warren a position with power.

If he doesn’t he doesn’t. It’s good to think in positive terms though. I believe that if she is ready to move on from being a senator that she’ll have a position in Biden’s administration. 

16 hours ago, Superhero said:

12 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

It’s close to a new Cabinet position I proposed awhile back called the Secretary of Unfuckery. Senator Warren would kick all kinds of ass in that position, even moreso than she currently does. 

Was actually discussing this in detail with several folks last week.  Between the damage done by 1) the Trump admin, 2) COVID 19, and 3) the economic depression kicked off by the combination of 1 and 2, we need something like a "Secretary of Reconstruction" -- and yeah, that word is loaded, and maybe it should be.  We need to revived and rebuild many laws and institutions that have been heavily damaged by the admin.  We need to build a robust national and regional health response apparatus.  We need to rebuild a shattered economy and the shattered lives that followed.

Those tasks are going to be among the biggest challenges any new admin will face.

Presuming we get a new admin.  If we don't, fuck it, nothing matters.  Do the best you can with your personal fiefdom, and if you have the wherewithal to look into living out the rest of your days in a functional country, you should do that.

51 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

If he doesn’t he doesn’t. It’s good to think in positive terms though. I believe that if she is ready to move on from being a senator that she’ll have a position in Biden’s administration. 

In this specific scenario, why?

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

lol B_T is still here

lol and you're still here doing the usual play the man not the ball thing where the only possible result is interpersonal conflict and all hope of dialogue is kneecapped before it can even begin

9 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Dems aren't going to take the Senate only to hand it back by giving a Republican governor a chance to appoint Warren's interim successor.

Wait, it's the Dems. Yeah, that's totally happening.

The state legislature has veto proof majorities and can pass something to the effect of Senators must be replaced by a member of the same party.

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

In this specific scenario, why?

Well the two scenarios that can play out are Biden finds a role where she can best serve the interests of the American people and offers her that role. The other is Dotard getting four more years.

I would imagine there is behind the scenes conversations happening to this effect and she will be offered a cabinet position. She is far more progressive than Biden and she can actually promote and implement ideas to help rebuild and repair the damage the country has sustained during Dotard’s administration. I think believing that the best will happen is a good thing. There is plenty to be frustrated about, but Warren should and likely will get a large voice in how this country heals from all that has happened. She is one of the most thoughtful human beings in Washington and I genuinely think she cares about people. We need her out front in whatever capacity would be best for her.

Was actually discussing this in detail with several folks last week.  Between the damage done by 1) the Trump admin, 2) COVID 19, and 3) the economic depression kicked off by the combination of 1 and 2, we need something like a "Secretary of Reconstruction" -- and yeah, that word is loaded, and maybe it should be.  We need to revived and rebuild many laws and institutions that have been heavily damaged by the admin.  We need to build a robust national and regional health response apparatus.  We need to rebuild a shattered economy and the shattered lives that followed.
Those tasks are going to be among the biggest challenges any new admin will face.
Presuming we get a new admin.  If we don't, fuck it, nothing matters.  Do the best you can with your personal fiefdom, and if you have the wherewithal to look into living out the rest of your days in a functional country, you should do that.

I could get behind that. "Reconstruction 2: Electric Boogaloo. Let's do it right this time."

16 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Super-curious and inaccurate wording there by the WaPo. 

They are "eligible," but their appointments are invalid or legally improper. https://www.lawfareblog.com/senate-should-ask-chad-wolf-about-his-illegal-appointment I hope it's not some sort of cutesy response to the Harris eligibility bullshit.

Edited by TwiceHorn

24 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

But this makes no sense - I thought Trump was the LAW AND ORDER guy??? Surely he’d be scarier to those blatantly trying to subvert LAW AND ORDER?? 

Lawnorder means law and order on poors and browns, just like it always has.  Don't get it twisted with the rule of law.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Almost 2021, but here's a nice closer for Elizabeth Warren. Had she won the Presidency, I wonder if she'd have had Wall Street cowering or if she would've been stymied.

Well, the thing about it is, unless she tried to Trump it with EOs, which she knows would be pretty ineffective and also rather anathema to many of the things she stands for, she would have to get most of her proposals through congress.

And, I'm not sure when push comes to shove with public votes and compromise legislation (pretending there would be any sort of compromise), I'm not sure ideas like the above are going to get much real traction.  And that may even be before you factor in that Wall Street owns goodly chunks of #bothsides.

I guess like any or all of us, I am a personal paradox.  I like to think of myself as pragmatic and am in a lot of instances.  I can also be polyanna-ish idealistic.  I think Warren appealed to the latter very strongly.

As a general proposition, I believe Wall Street is "smarter" than its regulators, meaning congress, the SEC, etc. and is therefore always a step (or three or four) ahead on the latest self-enriching scheme.  I do believe that Warren is one of a few legislators of whom that is not true.

The mutual fund idea is fantastic, though.  It's what most people should be in, anyway, so it allows a return on investment that even congresscritters should get, but takes them squarely out of the insider-trading, influence-peddling, ethical quagmire.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I feel like Warren would have tried to leverage public support for her ideas, compelling legislators to bend to her will.  Her anti-corruption and wealth tax ideas have broad support among the electorate.  I don’t know if this approach would have been as successful in the areas of healthcare or climate change but she would have made it uncomfortable for lawmakers to challenge her.   

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Warren is absolutely right about this. However, I think the bill should go farther than eliminating trading in individual stocks. It should require all federal elected officials and Congressionally approved appointments to either hold assets in a blind trust or alternatively have an approved list of extremely broad based investments (eg, total stock market funds, etc.).

The fact this doesn’t get traction reveals the current expectations of legislators to profit from insider trading.

• Hook 'Em 4

this type of legislation should be hand-in-hand with emoluments crap and should be an amendment.  it should also include full disclosure of financials stretching back for a set amount of time for any elected official starting with the house and higher (it would be too complicated to include state and local).

200 year old laws aren't cutting it, and anything "assumed" or "unwritten" is out the fucking window starting with trump and moving forward.

when the founding fathers got together, they assumed anyone who chose to run and got elected would be honorable.  and worst case, if they fooled the electorate, there would be enough honorable men around him/her to keep things under control.  shit, that worked way longer than it should've.  even once nixon was found to be a shitbag, he was confronted by high ranking gop congressmen to tell him it was over.

the current climate of government and just humanity in general has shown us that this is no longer viable.  we have to go into every situation assuming everyone is dishonorable and crooked.  and like warren said, if you can't divest or be transparent with your financials, then go find something else to do.

• Hook 'Em 3