Hard Knocks 2019

Carl Spackler

• 1 month later...

I thought it was a pretty typical first episode of the season.  They showcase a few stars and then start to show the story of the "underdog" who we root for to make the roster.

I did think it was kind of funny that they started to set up the "Last Chance U" guy as the underdog, and then he was unceremoniously cut, lol.

"Where's Rothlesberger?" was also fantastic.

Awesome.  "I'm really not into dreams anymore, OK?  I'm into fuckin' nightmares.  You guys with me on that?  You've got to end somebody's dream.  You gotta take their job.  You gotta take their heart.  You guys clear about this NFL shit now?" 

That had me ready to run through a brick wall.  

6 hours ago, RPM said:

Can't help it. I really like Gruden. I think he's going to turn them around or have a stroke trying.

I'm with ya. It seems like an unpopular stance in some places, but I really dig that guy. 

One thing that I have always thought was crazy in the world of sports was that they publicly disclose what people make, where as in most private sector jobs, that stuff is a secret, you can't talk about (not supposed to at least), and there were set ranges for certain jobs. In sports, that's totally not the case. I know it's been this way for a long time, but I have to think it creates some animosity and unnecessary tension between players at times. However, it also creates some sense of accountability. We could go on and on with all the factors that come into play, but that banter between Carr and Abram was interesting to me.

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Can't help it. I really like Gruden. I think he's going to turn them around or have a stroke trying.

Yeah it's funny... I want to not like Gruden. He seems so self important in some ways but then he'll say or do something that just cracks me up and I can't help but like him.

My favorite last night was during one of the practices he went on some profanity-laden tirade then just said quietly below his breath.... "I need to stop cussin'..."  Then he was dropping F-bombs again like two seconds later, lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

too much AB.  if i wanted to see them exhaust a boring story i'd still watch sportscenter.

So you sat down to watch an episode of hard knocks, featuring the raiders, and you didn’t expect this episode to feature the biggest story of the raiders training camp? I would guess half the people who watched that episode were tuning in for that specific reason lol

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I’m not surprised it’s just not interesting. The rest is good. I’d rather get more of the guys struggling to make the team. The dude who’s 2 years sober is the best thing they’ve focused on. 

Yeah I'm continuing to watch... it's just not as compelling as some of the others have been.

I think my all-time favorite Hard Knocks is still the Houston Texans year. 

That was just full of interesting characters and good stories... Bill O'Brien was fun, then you had JJ Watt, gigantic-ass Wollfork, the CB guy with his socks, the dipshit Arkansas QB who kept oversleeping (can't remember his name), and so on.

Definitely more focus on players this season as opposed to last.  With the Browns, there was a ton of stuff involving coaches, which was entertaining in a trainwreck-like way.  I'm sure the Raiders told Hard Knocks something along the lines of, "You're not doing that shit with us."  The few scenes involving coaches have been brief, and I'm sure Gruden wants it that way.

Edited by Carl Spackler

1 minute ago, DougO said:

I wonder what the overall record of combined Hard Knocks teams for their featured season would be. They tend to be total shit.

Sure but that's partly because you kind of have to be a bad team to even be featured on Hard Knocks in the first place. 

If you make the playoffs the year before, you're exempt.

Gruden is the black-hole sun that eats up all the screen time. All the action centers around him. I will admit, he is entertaining. 

I think they have been distracted by the AB feet/helmet drama which has pulled away from the normal story lines. I did think it was interesting watching the Mike Mayock press conference regarding being "all in, or all out" when AB had been on site and practicing on his own most days. The national story was very different than the background story. 

8 minutes ago, Par4 said:

Gruden is the black-hole sun that eats up all the screen time. All the action centers around him. I will admit, he is entertaining. 

I think they have been distracted by the AB feet/helmet drama which has pulled away from the normal story lines. I did think it was interesting watching the Mike Mayock press conference regarding being "all in, or all out" when AB had been on site and practicing on his own most days. The national story was very different than the background story. 

It's been fine but what I like about hard knocks of following the funny guy through camp and the handful of rookies that will or won't make it. I like Gruden and understand why AB are getting the most screen time I like the underdog stories better. 

Just now, JimmyHoffa said:

It's been fine but what I like about hard knocks of following the funny guy through camp and the handful of rookies that will or won't make it. I like Gruden and understand why AB are getting the most screen time I like the underdog stories better. 

Totally agree. 

LOL I guess the fact that this thread was lingering on page 2 speaks to how interesting this season has been, lol.

They've spent WAAAAAAAAAY too much time on Gruden and his stupid Gruden-isms (knock wood if you're with me!) and annoying-ass AB and not nearly enough time with the players on the fringe of the roster.

Who am I even rooting for to make the team?  I guess the TE from Canada or the LB from Cameroon?  Doesn't seem like much drama with any of the players they've been following.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL I guess the fact that this thread was lingering on page 2 speaks to how interesting this season has been, lol.

They've spent WAAAAAAAAAY too much time on Gruden and his stupid Gruden-isms (knock wood if you're with me!) and annoying-ass AB and not nearly enough time with the players on the fringe of the roster.

Who am I even rooting for to make the team?  I guess the TE from Canada or the LB from Cameroon?  Doesn't seem like much drama with any of the players they've been following.

Yep, they went away from their bread and butter- follow the rookies and interesting stories. 

As you said far too much Gruden and AB.