ID theft protection service?

So I’ve been getting all sorts of calls last few months from computers telling me my ID has been hacked; it’s probably a scam. Also wife was part of the experian data breach. I’ve had 2-3 other companies in last year say data has been breached. So wondering if it’s time to start paying an ID theft protection service Co. 

anyone using a service that they recommend?  Good or bad?

Also thinking about freezing credit. I won’t need any credit for the foreseeable future so wondering if this is the right thing to do. Anyone with experience here also?  Good or bad?

I've had LifeLock for quite a while. They're pretty good about letting you know if there's unusual activity. I also have Credit Karma (it's free). Not sure if Credit Karma alone is an acceptable level of protection.

You can place an initial fraud alert with the three credit agencies. I just had to do it with one, and that one notified the others. I used Transunion. If anyone tries to establish credit in your name, the creditor will receive an alert, and I think you are contacted. That lasts for a year now (used to be shorter).

If you freeze your credit, I believe that you have to unfreeze it for any new credit inquiries. Nominal fee to do that.

Two threads

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/8769-so-i-have-been-identity-thieved/

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/6964-identity-theft/