New Air conditioner / furnace for home

@Updawg The tech gave me a history lesson of refrigerant.  Apparently DuPont had the patent on R22 and once it expired everyone was making knockoffs.  The Gov replaced R22 with something called R-410A.  He said I was lucky that the units being installed today most likely had R-410A (which he hated and said the smaller coils are not lasting) but refrigerant standards are being upgraded by Gov all the time due to ozone. It's more costly than R22 units and he said he would guarantee R-410A would be replaced with something even more environmental friendly but unfriendly to home owners :)

I need a new central 4ton ac

1). should I replace gas furnace too? 15 years old

2). buddy said to get the highest single stage SEER I could - like a 15

said they are simpler and will not have the repairs if a fancier more costly unit

note: I’m only gonna be here 5-10 years.

Go ahead and replace it all at once. Including the line set. That’s how you get max efficiency from the unit.
I’m pretty sure 15seer isn’t the highest you can get. But don’t waste your money, you won’t see the return.

thanks. gonna go Goodman I think

Just gotta find a good installer who may survive this covid-fest if something goes wrong, install wise

2 hours ago, BevoSwag said:

@Updawg The tech gave me a history lesson of refrigerant.  Apparently DuPont had the patent on R22 and once it expired everyone was making knockoffs.  The Gov replaced R22 with something called R-410A.  He said I was lucky that the units being installed today most likely had R-410A (which he hated and said the smaller coils are not lasting) but refrigerant standards are being upgraded by Gov all the time due to ozone. It's more costly than R22 units and he said he would guarantee R-410A would be replaced with something even more environmental friendly but unfriendly to home owners :)

I had an r22 unit with a leaking coil. They make little or none of it today and it costs so much that it was cheaper to get a new compressor and coil than to pay to refill the unit with a repaired or r22 coil. It was like 2000 bucks just for the refrigerant. 

On 8/4/2020 at 5:15 PM, Enchubben said:

I asked for the manual j calculation from the builder to confirm they sized this properly - if its appropriate then so be it. Will be interesting to see if they provide it or not. Just don't want to move in and immediately notice that the AC has to run constantly to keep the house cool because they undersized it.

FWIW - I asked my realtor to ask a couple other CM's and they all thought it seemed low and one of them remarked that it may have been low, and they plan to use dampers in some of the smaller rooms to divert more air to the areas of the house with higher ceilings.   (which is of course 75% of the home)

Update -  builder put a dual zone 4 ton and 2 ton in the exact same floor plan in a different neighborhood. Same specs and insulation etc.  This after the CM told me that they do a manual j for the floor plan and don’t adjust for orientation of the home, exact location etc. For the life of me I can’t figure out why it would be different from one home to another. 

Waiting to see what they come back with since the home is substantially complete at this point but figure at best I am using this to push for a credit at closing since I doubt they will add a second unit this far along. I’m guessing they will try to support their use of the 5 ton unit rather than admit they fucked up but I guess I have to wait until I see the study. 

@Enchubben

You're asking the right questions.  My first build here in Houston was 1969/spring 1970.  Two story, 2200 Sq Ft.  Moved in early April 1970.  Imagine my surprise when I found upstairs bedrooms hot as hell already in April.  Only one unit was placed for the entire home.  Of course we were only worried about the jacked up prices of wood shingles.  Was $10/sq and became $12/sq.  LOL.  It was a great neighborhood.  Sad to see it flooded in Harvey.

On 8/4/2020 at 5:15 PM, Enchubben said:

I asked for the manual j calculation from the builder to confirm they sized this properly - if its appropriate then so be it. Will be interesting to see if they provide it or not. Just don't want to move in and immediately notice that the AC has to run constantly to keep the house cool because they undersized it.

FWIW - I asked my realtor to ask a couple other CM's and they all thought it seemed low and one of them remarked that it may have been low, and they plan to use dampers in some of the smaller rooms to divert more air to the areas of the house with higher ceilings.   (which is of course 75% of the home)

Update -  builder put a dual zone 4 ton and 2 ton in the exact same floor plan in a different neighborhood. Same specs and insulation etc.  This after the CM told me that they do a manual j for the floor plan and don’t adjust for orientation of the home, exact location etc. For the life of me I can’t figure out why it would be different from one home to another. 

Waiting to see what they come back with since the home is substantially complete at this point but figure at best I am using this to push for a credit at closing since I doubt they will add a second unit this far along. I’m guessing they will try to support their use of the 5 ton unit rather than admit they fucked up but I guess I have to wait until I see the study.