Chelsea 2019-2020: Puli My Finger

MoJames

Club Statement on 2018 Barca game and assault on Chelsea fans.

Chelsea Football Club has today released the following statement...

On 14 March 2018, Chelsea played in Spain against FC Barcelona in the UEFA Champions League Round of 16. Unfortunately, before and after the game at the Camp Nou, a series of serious incidents took place, including Chelsea fans being attacked with batons by FC Barcelona security staff. The incidents resulted in injuries to a large number of our fans, with many others feeling that their safety was endangered. These incidents were immediately reported by Chelsea to UEFA, with a request for a full investigation.

Following the match, the Club issued a request for information and witness reports from our supporters. We received an unprecedented number of responses highlighting poor organisation, lack of crowd control, brutality on the part of stewards and exposure to generally unsafe conditions. All of this information was assimilated by the Club at the time of the incident and provided to UEFA.

The Club originally faced charges for the behavior of its own fans, however, following an appeal process, we are pleased to confirm that UEFA have concluded that Chelsea supporters’ conduct in approaching and leaving the stadium did not violate UEFA rules. We understand that the decision will be published by UEFA in its next disciplinary update.

Notwithstanding this, Chelsea is extremely disappointed by the decision of the UEFA Appeal Body to reject our request that disciplinary proceedings be opened against FC Barcelona. This was important to Chelsea, not least because we wanted to ensure that measures are implemented to prevent the incidents from being repeated.

The wellbeing of our supporters at both home and away games is of utmost importance to the Club. On 18 June 2019, a senior delegation from the Club led by Chairman Bruce Buck met with UEFA executives in Switzerland to discuss measures that could be put in place to help ensure that lessons are learned from safety incidents at matches in UEFA competitions. The meeting was constructive and we are pleased to confirm that UEFA has committed to carrying out further work in this important area to see how they can integrate our suggestions into the disciplinary process to make it more effective in preventing future incidents of this nature. While responsibility for safety and security at matches ultimately rests with the host club, UEFA implement a system of risk assessments and work with clubs to seek to anticipate and minimize risks at matches across Europe. We are encouraged that UEFA is taking seriously the points we raised on behalf of our supporters and will continue our dialogue with UEFA on this issue. We would also welcome feedback from supporters on any incidents that arise at away fixtures during our Champions League campaign this coming season.

The wait for cfb is brutal but just realized we are only a week and change away from EPL. 

Here's to fucking up ManU at Old Trafford and a great season ahead. Count me as a Pulisic bandwagonner but I'll be up early on the weekends rooting hard with all you longtime fans here. 

On 7/31/2019 at 7:12 PM, Longhornfan1024 said:

We're likely to be in London on boxing day. What is the best way to get tickets to the game?

PM Derka

$190? Fucking really? 

That’s for the Vapor Match shirt material. It’s marked up a shit ton vs what it costs Nike (duh), but it’s also a really nice fabric that is noticeably better than the standard stadium shirt.

I got the yellow one from last year’s away kit and it’s pretty awesome.
  • Like 1

Back 4 has serious work to do - even without Luiz (Luis? always mix it up) playing. Not really sure who I would call out, just seems like a lack of chemistry.

Attack has looked decent in stretches, some inability to finish and BMG's keeper is having a fucking career day out there. 

Pulisic and Mount have had pretty strong outings - Abraham a bit all over the place but did put in a PK that was probably erroneously awarded. Pedro almost a non-factor today. Just not placing balls well. (and commits a dumbass foul as I type this)

Giroud and Barkley coming on - we'll see if they can equalize. 

Luiz drama with 24 hrs left in the window. If Rudiger was healthy today, no worries, but he isnt...
Why is he trying to leave...figure players would want CL over Europa

Doesnt like new coach/system?
Feels like a very lateral move for player late in career,unless he wants another Europa title?

4 hours ago, MoJames said:

Luiz drama with 24 hrs left in the window. If Rudiger was healthy today, no worries, but he isnt...

1 hour ago, Bone3421 said:

Feels like a very lateral move for player late in career,unless he wants another Europa title?

Perhaps Luis wants to play with his disciple. 

1-DAAE8-E3-0-F3-A-4682-8-F3-B-D90-E51388

(Matteo G-douzi is a cheating mother fucker who grabs more than a 2002 S. Korean.)

I always felt Luiz was DM playing CB. 

He loses his mark too much and has substandard spatial awareness, while at the same time excelling and going forward and a frequently brilliant dead ball striker. 

Never understood why he has always been a CB rather than a DM. Maybe Lampsrd thinks the same. (Lampard knows much more than I.)

Edited by Napoleon

1 hour ago, Bone3421 said:

Probably because he doubts that he will be a starter.  It sounds like he may end up being 4th in Lampard's system behind AC, Rudiger, and Zouma.  He left PSG because he wasn't going to be a starter and he almost left Chelsea last year until Sarri convinced him he would start.  The rumors are that Lampard's response was essentially "well if you want to be a bitch about it, head on out."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

The rumors are that Lampard's response was essentially "well if you want to be a bitch about it, head on out."

And that's the right response, especially with a side that could be accused of quitting on previous managers at various points.  I have no doubt Frankie will be thought of as a players' manager, but he's also got to to set the tone for the culture he wants.  And Chelsea's been very good to D.L.  If he wants to bitch about being a role player at 32, let him walk.

• Like 1

Wow. That escalated quickly. Looks like it’s all done except for the official announcement.

I think player attitudes are a big part of the reason we have been so inconsistent. It seems like the malcontents were effectively running the clubs. I appreciate what Geezer has done in the Chelsea shirt but he had to go if he was going to be a cancer on the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

Wow. That escalated quickly. Looks like it’s all done except for the official announcement.

I think player attitudes are a big part of the reason we have been so inconsistent. It seems like the malcontents were effectively running the clubs. I appreciate what Geezer has done in the Chelsea shirt but he had to go if he was going to be a cancer on the team.

Official per Arsenal's twitter: 

Lampard on Luiz:

“David Luiz has obviously left and gone to Arsenal. We had some honest conversations over the last week because I know him well and the conclusion of that was he is gone. It’s an area of the pitch where we have competition. I don’t have number ones or twos. They have to fight for that shirt. I wish him the best because he has been a big part of our history.

“There certainly wasn’t a strike or fallout so I want to make that clear straight away. I always expected honesty from a manager whatever the news and I think I got that back from David. The day David didn’t train was a decision that I made because it was clear the way we were going. I am very happy with the squad I have got now and my focus is working on that.”

So yeah, Luiz wanted to be guaranteed a starting spot, which Lampard wouldn't do, so Luiz took his ball and went home.  

21 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Lampard on Luiz:

“David Luiz has obviously left and gone to Arsenal. We had some honest conversations over the last week because I know him well and the conclusion of that was he is gone. It’s an area of the pitch where we have competition. I don’t have number ones or twos. They have to fight for that shirt. I wish him the best because he has been a big part of our history.

“There certainly wasn’t a strike or fallout so I want to make that clear straight away. I always expected honesty from a manager whatever the news and I think I got that back from David. The day David didn’t train was a decision that I made because it was clear the way we were going. I am very happy with the squad I have got now and my focus is working on that.”

So yeah, Luiz wanted to be guaranteed a starting spot, which Lampard wouldn't do, so Luiz took his ball and went home.  

So pretty much the opposite of Mack Brown playing seniors who've "bled for the program" over more talented underclassmen.  I like it.

Edited by TexArcher

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-vs-chelsea-lineups-confirmed-team-news-predicted-xis-premier-league-a4210621.html

Man Utd vs Chelsea lineups: Confirmed team news and predicted XIs for Premier League opener

Paul Pogba is fit to start Manchester United's Premier League opener against Chelsea.

The midfielder missed the final pre-season game against AC Milan due to a back spasm, but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed he is fit for Sunday.

Harry Maguire, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Daniel James could make their debuts, while 17-year-old Mason Greenwood is set to be named in the squad. Eric Bailly and Tim Fosu-Mensah are both injured, while Alexis Sanchez may not be involved after picking up a hamstring issue towards the end of the Copa America.

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard will make a late decision on N'Golo Kante before the game at Old Trafford.

France midfielder Kante hopes to return following a knee injury, while forward Willian and defender Antonio Rudiger (both knee) also face fitness tests but are unlikely to feature.

United States winger Christian Pulisic could make his Blues debut following his £58million move from Borussia Dortmund, but England duo Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Callum Hudson-Odoi (both Achilles) will be unavailable.

Predicted lineups

Man Utd XI: De Gea, Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw, Matic, McTominay, Pogba, Mata, Martial, Rashford

Chelsea XI: Kepa, Azpilicueta, Zouma, Christensen, Emerson, Kante, Jorginho, Pedro, Barkley, Pulisic, Abraham

Provisional squads

Man Utd: De Gea, Romero, Dalot, Wan-Bissaka, Young, Jones, Maguire, Lindelof, Rojo, Smalling, Tuanzebe, Shaw, Darmian, Chong, Garner, Gomes, James, Fred, Lingard, Matic, Mata, McTominay, Pereira, Pogba, Greenwood, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford

Chelsea: Arrizabalaga, Caballero, Azpilicueta, Zappacosta, Rudiger, Tomori, Christensen, Zouma, Alonso, Palmieri, Jorginho, Kante, Barkley, Kovacic, Mount, Kenedy, Pedro, Willian, Pulisic, Giroud, Abraham, Batshuayi.