Chelsea 2019-2020: Puli My Finger

MoJames

This has the looks of a side that has a ceiling of 6th. That even feels generous coming off of this particular performance, but I’m trying to remind myself that we’re something less than 100%.

Rudiger and Kante need to get healthy quick and we need CHO/RLC to stay on track with their rehab.

5 minutes ago, RichUT said:

This has the looks of a side that has a ceiling of 6th. That even feels generous coming off of this particular performance, but I’m trying to remind myself that we’re something less than 100%.

Rudiger and Kante need to get healthy quick and we need CHO/RLC to stay on track with their rehab.

Opening at OT is never fun. I wouldn't say 6th is the ceiling just because I'm not buying anyone besides City/Pool as a lock for top 4 this season.

But yeah - after matchday one if you had to slot the big 6 Chelsea is the bottom dweller. Tottenham and Arsenal both looked just kind of okay imo. 

Just finished, was delayed in Mexico so avoided the board, not that it would've mattered.

First Half and first 20 was great, moving the ball and constantly pressing, hit the post twice and had several missed chances.

Zouma is not good enough to play for us if this is going to be his effort. Rudiger and AC will need to be solid and maybe we think about moving Azpi into the middle if we continue to struggle. Tomori is too young and made several mistakes in the preseason.

I loved what I saw from Mount, he is hungry. Pedro was bipolar, making great movement and decisions and then would just miss a wide open guy streaking to the goal, or give it away in an awful position leading to a goal. Kovacic and Jorgi did their normal game, good enough but nothing amazing.

Emerson looked great, getting involved often and was solid on the left back.

Tammy was good at hold up play and would give us several options often just barely missing a pass. Expected him to bury that early cross but was a bit too far back. Giroud looked slow after Tammy came out.

Puli was fairly invisible.

We lost, but the score doesn't represent what we produced. I imagine this will be a common occurrence with so many young players and our CB situation.

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

Just finished, was delayed in Mexico so avoided the board, not that it would've mattered.

First Half and first 20 was great, moving the ball and constantly pressing, hit the post twice and had several missed chances.

Zouma is not good enough to play for us if this is going to be his effort. Rudiger and AC will need to be solid and maybe we think about moving Azpi into the middle if we continue to struggle. Tomori is too young and made several mistakes in the preseason.

I loved what I saw from Mount, he is hungry. Pedro was bipolar, making great movement and decisions and then would just miss a wide open guy streaking to the goal, or give it away in an awful position leading to a goal. Kovacic and Jorgi did their normal game, good enough but nothing amazing.

Emerson looked great, getting involved often and was solid on the left back.

Tammy was good at hold up play and would give us several options often just barely missing a pass. Expected him to bury that early cross but was a bit too far back. Giroud looked slow after Tammy came out.

Puli was fairly invisible.

We lost, but the score doesn't represent what we produced. I imagine this will be a common occurrence with so many young players and our CB situation.

All good takes - I'll add on Pulisic since obviously I am glued to the screen whenever he touches the ball.

He was a little sloppy and looked like the game was moving just a little too quick for him. That said, he certainly didn't look out of place and wasn't really given much to work with. 

I will say this: he plays his ass off. Anytime he loses the ball or is the closest defender he is putting in effort to get it back. Anytime Chelsea is on the attack he is never lagging behind and rarely out of position. 

He's not a great player yet - but I think he will blossom into one and can certainly see him being a 15/10 guy for years to come at any level. 

Reminder: Liverpool at 2pm central today in the UEFA Super Cup. There are definitely expectations for Captain America to break the starting XI. 
Let's show these sissies who the REAL champions of Europe are. 
My heart says Chelsea my head says we doomed. C'mon Chelsea.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If Abraham doesn't start finishing these it's going to be a long fucking season...

He will.  There isn't much difference in finishing the misses he had the past two games and finishing the number of goals he's had during the past two seasons.  He just needs to get more confidence in himself that he can do it at this level too.  

30 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

He will.  There isn't much difference in finishing the misses he had the past two games and finishing the number of goals he's had during the past two seasons.  He just needs to get more confidence in himself that he can do it at this level too.  

Yeahhhhhh about that...

Just finished got back from Mexico. Watched it while on vacation and missed a chunk of the first half, but what a bounce back from the manure game. Thought everyone played well, with Zouma, Pedro and Dave lagging behind at ton of solid performances. To those, if any, pissed at Tammy. Don't worry that kid will bounce back and was a solid choice for the 5th PK. Dude put away the 5th PK for Villa last season to put them in the Premiere. He's gonna be good.

In other news.

Also, will be excited to see how the boys continue to grow tomorrow. It should be noted that yesterday we rolled out the 4-3-3, very much what we played last year as opposed to the 4-1-2-3 we played in the opener. We certainly seemed more comfortable and moved the ball so well. Will be interesting to see how we progress through the season as well as once we start plugging in Reece James, RLC and CHO as they return from injuries.

So I've decided to be a Chelsea fan. Haven't had a team so I'm not switching allegiances or anything, just really interested to watch Pulisic develop over the next few years, so here I am. I've watched the Man U and Liverpool games, and read this thread, and it seems like hitting the woodwork and inconsistent defensive play have been hang-ups. Would David Luiz have made a difference? Did Lampard make a mistake there? I'll be watching tomorrow and already have the game set to record. If you guys know of anything I should read to bring me up to speed on the team or transfer ban please let me know.

• Like 2

I swear to fucking God...

https://www.soccernews.com/real-contemplate-pulisic-as-neymar-alternative/291922/

Real Madrid are considering going for Christian Pulisic of Chelsea should their efforts to sign Neymar from Paris Saint-Germain prove in vain, according to Don Balon (via AS).

Expecting to lose Eden Hazard to Real Madrid this summer, which they eventually did, and perhaps even expecting the two-window transfer ban currently imposed on them, Chelsea signed the USA international for €65 million in January in a deal which saw him stay with Borussia Dortmund for the rest of last season on loan.

Now, without Hazard, Pulisic is expected to make some real contribution in Frank Lampard’s forward line. He has already given a glimpse of his ability, assisting Olivier Giroud in the UEFA Super Cup against Liverpool and putting in a very good all-round performance. That has, apparently, attracted the interest of Real Madrid. Kylian Mbappe of Paris Saint-Germain is also an option, but Pulisic feels a more realistic target.

That, however, may change very soon. If the young winger proves a success at Stamford Bridge, Real expect other top European clubs to react as well.