Chelsea 2019-2020: Puli My Finger

MoJames

We get it, Mo. Dave isn’t what he once was. Having said that, he is in no way the only issue with the back line. Zouma has matched him in terms of mistakes and is just as much of a liability if not more.

I’d also caution against assuming Reece will be any sort of cure all. He’s untested in the EPL and will make his fair share of mistakes as he adjusts to the speed of the game.

There is no quick fix coming for this season. We’re not going to challenge for anything meaningful and really just need to stay focused on avoiding the relegation zone. I doubt that will be an issue but we’re honestly capable of dropping points against anyone, so who knows.

12 hours ago, RichUT said:

https://statsbomb.com/2019/09/is-chelseas-cesar-azpilicueta-bad-now/

Pretty decent read if you’re open to the possibility that Dave isn’t solely to blame for our defensive shortcomings.

I thought the blame for our shortcomings was always the board?

And I know Dave isn't the only issue, but his 2019 season is looking an awful lot like Ivan crica 2016. Putting all the blame on Zouma is not fair either.

We need to get Kante and Rudiger healthy and see how the team responds. As well, I would hope to see Reece James get some run. Of course he is going to need to adapt and get his legs coming back from injury. But he was on the Championship team of the season, was Wigan's player of the year and will be a good to great player. I personally believe having Reece James at RB over Dave will make a bigger difference than having Rudiger over Zouma. But that is just my opinion.

11 hours ago, MoJames said:

We need to get Kante and Rudiger healthy and see how the team responds. 

This.

And CHO and RLC, too.

I'm refraining from being too critical of the back four until we see how they look with the real midfield in front of them.  

Edited by TexArcher

Ok, back to real matches

From the press conference.

So it appears we will see how Rudiger's presence augments our defenes.

CHO and Reece James play today for the U23 - Great news, depth is needed with multiple games per week coming

We are on NBC Gold tomorrow, so either you have it or you find it other ways.