Tankers Afire in Gulf of Oman

RomaVicta

6 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

This attack will be a convenient excuse to raise oil/gas prices after they have fallen in the last several weeks.

No "convenient excuse" is needed. Prices will spike because of: 1) insurance companies raising rates to insure tankers; 2) some tanker companies are already avoiding the region, which lowers tanker supply and drives up shipping cost; and 3) oil prices generally spike when there is tension in the area.

most likely not china.  they're paying higher crude prices now.
my guess is the saudis or russians.  they profit from higher oil prices and get to blame iran.  win/win.

Don’t forget to add us to the list of suspects. It’s totally something Bolton would do so he can finally get a war in his name.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Telegraph_it said:

Enhance. 

So Iran takes these fairly large "small boats", drives them up to tankers, places the mines on them, and then leave.  Or removes them in this case.

I somehow think that Iran has better means of attacking tankers that don't involve using an easily-tracked boat.

Shit, seems like they could buy some missiles on the black market and launch them out of sight of the tankers.

53 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I could easily see Iran and their proxies doing this. The only card they really have to play is disrupting the flow of oil through the straits.

Proxies, maybe.  

If Tehran is somehow behind this, I hope they covered their tracks well, otherwise millions of innocent Iranians are about to die.

Hell, that might happen anyway.  It's not as if we need proof when there's a Republican in the White House.

This can't end well.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 5

Proxies, maybe.  
If Tehran is somehow behind this, I hope they covered their tracks well, otherwise millions of innocent Iranians are about to die.
Hell, that might happen anyway.  It's not as if we need proof when there's a Republican in the White House.
This can't end well.

Nope, it can’t. We’re about to commit some war crimes, and likely get a fair number of Americans killed in the process.

Winning.
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So Iran takes these fairly large "small boats", drives them up to tankers, places the mines on them, and then leave.  Or removes them in this case.

I somehow think that Iran has better means of attacking tankers that don't involve using an easily-tracked boat.

Shit, seems like they could buy some missiles on the black market and launch them out of sight of the tankers.

I mean, it’s not liken the Straight of Hormuz is loaded with military radars that could track missiles back to their origin....

i find this all pretty dubious, but consider this. Country A plants explosives on a ship covertly. Not all of the explosives detonate. Ship is dead in the water and surrounded by other ships, including military vessels who will eventually find unexploded mine with “property of Country A” written all over it. What are they supposed to do?  Deny it?  

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

48 minutes ago, RoundRobin said:

Negged both of you for cloaking up the thread.

World events and politics are inseparable, and half the posts have mentioned Bolton wanting a war, etc, but good for you.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm pretty sure the theory is that divers are attaching the mines when these ships are in port, and they are being detonated after they get in the gulf.  Supposedly all the mines have been placed on the same areas.

2 minutes ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

I'm pretty sure the theory is that divers are attaching the mines when these ships are in port, and they are being detonated after they get in the gulf.  Supposedly all the mines have been placed on the same areas.

Then why not remove them the same way ?  That video looked completely like BS.  And form the video it looked like the "mine was like 8-10' above the waterline.  unless I'm  seeing the grainy, blurry, dark images incorrectly.

22 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Then why not remove them the same way ?  That video looked completely like BS.  And form the video it looked like the "mine was like 8-10' above the waterline.  unless I'm  seeing the grainy, blurry, dark images incorrectly.

They’ve got really tall divers!

speardiver-tall-thin-spearfishing-wetsui

8 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Proxies, maybe.  

This can't end well.

shut the fuck up. Does it always have to be only one side or the other? every single god damn mother fucking time. Fucktard. keep it in the cloak room. JESUS 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I mean, it’s not liken the Straight of Hormuz is loaded with military radars that could track missiles back to their origin....

i find this all pretty dubious, but consider this. Country A plants explosives on a ship covertly. Not all of the explosives detonate. Ship is dead in the water and surrounded by other ships, including military vessels who will eventually find unexploded mine with “property of Country A” written all over it. What are they supposed to do?  Deny it?  

In reference to the missile comment, I saw a documentary a while back talking about how it was possible to use what amounted to something not much larger than anti-tank missiles against ships, and they would be hard to intercept, or even track, because they skimmed so close to the sea - basically you’d have to have an aircraft very close by, and looking at that tiny spot in the ocean to pick them up.  Not like an Exocet that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Instead the Iranians are pulling up in easily-tracked boats with a dozen or more crew members, and possibly removing undetonated mines that are way above the waterline. 

Extremely dubious.  

7 minutes ago, gecko said:

If the intent was to sink the ship it would have been sunk.  It should be that hard to bring a ship like that to the bottom (or have it blow itself up to smitherines.

Plus it’s the Iranians.  They are pretty good at putting ships on the bottom of the Persian Gulf.  Not to go Alex Jones, but it feels like a false flag by the Saudis.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

In reference to the missile comment, I saw a documentary a while back talking about how it was possible to use what amounted to something not much larger than anti-tank missiles against ships, and they would be hard to intercept, or even track, because they skimmed so close to the sea - basically you’d have to have an aircraft very close by, and looking at that tiny spot in the ocean to pick them up.  Not like an Exocet that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Instead the Iranians are pulling up in easily-tracked boats with a dozen or more crew members, and possibly removing undetonated mines that are way above the waterline. 

Extremely dubious.  

I thought I read The Bainbridge was four miles away. Maybe it wouldn’t see the missile.

Yeah, whatever the Iranians or whoever was doing was very clumsy. The whole thing feels hamfisted and third party. But to my comment, what does a country do if some of their explosives are stuck to the ship in plain sight?  I mean, the video wasn’t good enough to tell what the folks on the boat were doing. Plausible deniability or something although forensics will probably give everyone a decent idea of who did it or where the explosives originated.  

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

And form the video it looked like the "mine was like 8-10' above the waterline.  unless I'm  seeing the grainy, blurry, dark images incorrectly.

It looks the same way to me. I wonder if the ship has risen due to loss of cargo burning or leaking from the hull. 

Further, if the weapon was being exposed, mightn't the culprit want to remove the evidence?

With just these possible facts, if the boat was Iranian, it suggests the Iranians did it unless they were part of a rescue mission and trying to help. In a broader context, it doesn't make a lot of sense for Iran to attack these ships, so I don't know what to think.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to bomb anybody based on this confusion. I'm not sure I want to do that even if the confusion is cleared up. If the Arabs want to destroy the Persians, let them do it themselves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

Latest news has them being placed on the ships with drones.  Crews claimed to have seen "flying objects" just before explosions.

20 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

So they have video of someone taking what appears to be a limpet mine off of the tanker. I would assume that with all the resources we have in the area we were capable of tracking this Boston Whaler back to its port of origin or I don't know, maybe try and prevent their escape. 

Are these the incredible Mr. Limpet mines ?

47 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It looks the same way to me. I wonder if the ship has risen due to loss of cargo burning or leaking from the hull. 

Further, if the weapon was being exposed, mightn't the culprit want to remove the evidence?

With just these possible facts, if the boat was Iranian, it suggests the Iranians did it unless they were part of a rescue mission and trying to help. In a broader context, it doesn't make a lot of sense for Iran to attack these ships, so I don't know what to think.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to bomb anybody based on this confusion. I'm not sure I want to do that even if the confusion is cleared up. If the Arabs want to destroy the Persians, let them do it themselves.

Good call, didn't think about waterline, and cargo load.  Still doesn't rise to an act of war considering the stakes here.

51 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.

Bonus: the US makes some coin off supplying arms to SA

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I thought I read The Bainbridge was four miles away. Maybe it wouldn’t see the missile.

Yeah, whatever the Iranians or whoever was doing was very clumsy. The whole thing feels hamfisted and third party. But to my comment, what does a country do if some of their explosives are stuck to the ship in plain sight?  I mean, the video wasn’t good enough to tell what the folks on the boat were doing. Plausible deniability or something although forensics will probably give everyone a decent idea of who did it or where the explosives originated.  

Maybe it was aggy.

16 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Maybe it was aggy.

To quote @Irwin F Fletcher

This. Watching the footage it's almost aggiesque. They have what looks like at least eight people on that Boston Whaler, insert your own how many aggies does it take to unscrew a light bulb joke.

The whole thing is just nuts.  Iran is the last country that wants a shooting war with the US.  Israel would be more subtle.

This feels like the Saudis - it's about as clumsy as kidnapping a journalist, cutting him up in an embassy, and sending the remains out in diplomatic pouches.

• Like 1