Copa America 2019

ATLLonghorn

Didn't see a thread so I thought I'd start one up because the tournament gets underway tomorrow night. It should be fun. Brazil is hosting so there will certainly be a lot of anxiety there for the first tournament on home soil since the 2014 World Cup. Assuming they win their group, their semifinal game would be in the same stadium Germany whipped them in. 

Messi is back for Argentina trying once again to win a trophy with the Argentine senior team. They lost the last two finals to Chile in PKs. Uruguay, Colombia and Chile look to play the spoilers to the two more publicized teams.

Group A - Brazil, Bolivia, Venezuela, Peru

Group B - Argentina, Colombia, Paraguay, Qatar (LMAOOOOOOOOOO)

Group C - Uruguay, Ecuador, Chile, Japan

Brazil opens the tournament with Bolivia tomorrow night at 7:30. We get an Argentina-Colombia banger out of the gates on Saturday. The tournament is on ESPN+. Should be fun.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Didn’t see it mentioned above, but it is also being aired on Telemundo.

Thanks, f espn+.  Between espn+, NBC putting half the epl games on pay to stream, and beIN getting dropped off of nearly every carrier, soccer coverage seems to be going backwards.

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

"I like all baseball teams in the northeastern part of the USA. The Yankees, the Red Sox, the Phillies, the Mets."

giphy.gif

I'm an extremely white guy from Georgia. I have no dog in the fight. I spent six weeks in Rio during the 2014 World Cup and really enjoyed all of the people from South America while I was there. I root for the CONMEBOL teams against the UEFA teams in the World Cup. Sorry ::shrugs::

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

I'm an extremely white guy from Georgia. I have no dog in the fight. I spent six weeks in Rio during the 2014 World Cup and really enjoyed all of the people from South America while I was there. I root for the CONMEBOL teams against the UEFA teams in the World Cup. Sorry ::shrugs::

I spent the entire 2014 living in Buenos Aires. I had arrived nearly 7 years before, picked up citizenship in July of the previous year, and had an English friend living in Rio who I knew from his time in Buenos Aires about 5 or 6 years prior. I had a FREE place to stay in Rio for the first 2 weeks of the tournament...

But I didn't go. I didn't want to be around Brazilians during the World Cup. I didn't want to be around Chileans, the Colombianas I knew were okay, but I knew that I didn't want to be around Colombian fanaticos in Rio. Uruguayos would have been fine, because they're like cousins or a little brother, but fuck being surrounded by Brazilians during a World Cup... unless it was a bar in Buenos Aires and Germany was raping them 7-1 and you were screaming much louder than normal after each German goal hit the back of the net and you turned around and glared at every fucking Brazilian in the bar sitting there with their mouths open and a look of shock on their faces.

If jerseys were switched and/or refs didn't know they were in Brazil, the Brazilian squad likely wouldn't have made it out of their group. And if they had, they would have finished their match again Colombia with 7 players due to yellow card accumulations.

Patricio Swayze has family connections with Brazil. He's willing to overlook this... 

20180627-The18-Image-Neymar-Roll-GIF.gif

...for the good of the Dark Side. (He hates "the force".) But Brazil has 5 Wold Cup trophies, which their fans will remind you of whenever you take joy in them losing.

My Argentine connection is manufactured, but is permanent (you can't renounce Argie citizenship). Idogg53 has Argie blood coursing through his veins and has familia argentina that he visits as often as he can. Although I don't hate chilenos with a passion, like most Argies I've ever known, I pull for any threat to the albiceleste to lose... though I want the squads with Argie managers to go farther than those without. (Recently 6 of the 10 CONMEBOL clubs had Argie managers, because they're the best*...)

*Most of CONMEBOL hates Argentines because of their arrogance and their insistence that they are not "Latin Americans" so much as "Europeans who live on the American continent**.

**At least in Argentina, they are taught that there are SIX continents: America, Africa, Asia, Europe, Australia, Antarctica. ("America" is one continent.)

Now your white ass from Georgia is up to speed with the Cliff's Notes version of why some would take offense at a person saying that they liked ALL of the teams in CONMEBOL.

PD- (Spanish for "PS") I left out the political tensions between Venezuela & Colombia, Colombia & Ecuador, Bolivia & Chile, Chile & Argentina, Brazil & Argentina, Paraguay & Argentina/Uruguay/Brazil, Argentina & Venezuela (after their love affair), Paraguay & Venezuela, Peru & Bolivia... 😂

There we go. The hatred of Brazil. Do it. Hahaha.

Edit:

And I don’t overlook that. I denounce that shit. I hate that and I talk shit about Neymar pulling stuff like that. But let’s not act like he isn’t the only one doing that shit. I’ll wait for the inevitable “but he doesn’t the most” or some such reply.

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

tl;dr

I know WHY I'm not supposed to like all the South American teams, but I also don't give a fuck.

My rundown of my experience with South Americans:

Brazilians - they were super cool because I think they were worried about looking bad because of all the negative press. We were staying on Copacabana Beach so that was a touristy as it gets which 100 percent contributed to the niceness.

Argentines - They really weren't around Rio until before the final, but they swarmed upon the city. They were fine. We were all kinda burned out on partying by the Final.

Chileans - Super cool. They really had fun the entire time and seemed just happy to be there. The only time things got dicey at night was the night before the Chile-Spain game when fans from both teams got a little heated and the bar we hung out at every night shut down early.

Colombians - weirdly don't remember hanging out with many, but I went to the Colombia-Uruguay game and they were LOUD af.

Uruguayans - Don't remember hanging out with many either, but one of our freelancers was from Uruguay and man oh man do they have a chip on their shoulder. He seriously thought it was a FIFA conspiracy to suspend Suarez for BITING SOMEONE.

26 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Uruguayans - Don't remember hanging out with many either, but one of our freelancers was from Uruguay and man oh man do they have a chip on their shoulder. He seriously thought it was a FIFA conspiracy to suspend Suarez for BITING SOMEONE.

😂

I spent the entire 2014 living in Buenos Aires. I had arrived nearly 7 years before, picked up citizenship in July of the previous year, and had an English friend living in Rio who I knew from his time in Buenos Aires about 5 or 6 years prior. I had a FREE place to stay in Rio for the first 2 weeks of the tournament...
But I didn't go. I didn't want to be around Brazilians during the World Cup. I didn't want to be around Chileans, the Colombianas I knew were okay, but I knew that I didn't want to be around Colombian fanaticos in Rio. Uruguayos would have been fine, because they're like cousins or a little brother, but fuck being surrounded by Brazilians during a World Cup... unless it was a bar in Buenos Aires and Germany was raping them 7-1 and you were screaming much louder than normal after each German goal hit the back of the net and you turned around and glared at every fucking Brazilian in the bar sitting there with their mouths open and a look of shock on their faces.
If jerseys were switched and/or refs didn't know they were in Brazil, the Brazilian squad likely wouldn't have made it out of their group. And if they had, they would have finished their match again Colombia with 7 players due to yellow card accumulations.
Patricio Swayze has family connections with Brazil. He's willing to overlook this... 
20180627-The18-Image-Neymar-Roll-GIF.gif
...for the good of the Dark Side. (He hates "the force".) But Brazil has 5 Wold Cup trophies, which their fans will remind you of whenever you take joy in them losing.

My Argentine connection is manufactured, but is permanent (you can't renounce Argie citizenship). Idogg53 has Argie blood coursing through his veins and has familia argentina that he visits as often as he can. Although I don't hate chilenos with a passion, like most Argies I've ever known, I pull for any threat to the albiceleste to lose... though I want the squads with Argie managers to go farther than those without. (Recently 6 of the 10 CONMEBOL clubs had Argie managers, because they're the best*...)
*Most of CONMEBOL hates Argentines because of their arrogance and their insistence that they are not "Latin Americans" so much as "Europeans who live on the American continent**.
**At least in Argentina, they are taught that there are SIX continents: America, Africa, Asia, Europe, Australia, Antarctica. ("America" is one continent.)

Now your white ass from Georgia is up to speed with the Cliff's Notes version of why some would take offense at a person saying that they liked ALL of the teams in CONMEBOL.
PD- (Spanish for "PS") I left out the political tensions between Venezuela & Colombia, Colombia & Ecuador, Bolivia & Chile, Chile & Argentina, Brazil & Argentina, Paraguay & Argentina/Uruguay/Brazil, Argentina & Venezuela (after their love affair), Paraguay & Venezuela, Peru & Bolivia... 
Love this post and I'm jealous you got to live in South America. My wife and I visited Chile and Argentina for two weeks in 2017 and had an amazing time, especially in Bariloche and Buenos Aires. I don't really have a favorite CONMEBOL team but I love the quality of the football among those teams.
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

es1ocxmq_o.jpeg

33 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

I drank so much of that stuff in Rio haha

Same after I went to Brazil for the first time for a wedding about 15 years ago. I returned to LA and passed a "Brazilian Grocery" and went in and was so excited that they carried that shit.

I had one a few years later and wasn't quite as in love.

Also bought some frozen pão de queijo and not surprisingly, it was nothing like the light, fluffy baked items that arrived on my tables in Rio & São Paulo. 

Edited by Napoleon

11 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

this shit on directv? the fuck channel number is telemundo?

Little late to the game, but it might help you going forward.  The Spanish-speaking stations start @ 400 on DirectTV.  In Dallas, I also had the game on (or around) Channel 23.  

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

18 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Also bought some frozen pão de queijo and not surprisingly, it was nothing like the light, fluffy baked items that arrived on my tables in Rio & São Paulo. 

Oh man, I miss really good pao de queijo. Had some at a hole in the wall coffee shop in Rio that was so good.

Meanwhile, Peru and Venezuela just played a shitty 0-0 draw. As long as Venezuela's continues to play one striker and that one striker isn't Josef Martinez I'm good though.

Ospina has made a couple of nice saves in the 2H where Argentina has been much better than they were in the 1H when they were just awful. still 0-0. Cuadrado lucky to be on the pitch though, as he straight up assassinated Messi right in front of the official.

annnd BOOM. Martinez with an absolute strike to make it 1-0 Cafeteros.