Copa America 2019

ATLLonghorn

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

For a scoreless draw, it's been an incredible match. Although Brazil dominated, kicks seems a fitting end given Paraguay's valiant defending.

So intense.

reminds me of Ivory Coast vs Portugal in WC 2010. It was the first match of the group of death (Brazil and North Korea were the other teams), and it ended 0-0, with the closest chance being a dipping missile off the foot of Cristiano Ronaldo that hit off the cross bar. one team on the attack all game, one team defending their ass off all game. thrilling indeed.

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

reminds me of Ivory Coast vs Portugal in WC 2010. It was the first match of the group of death (Brazil and North Korea were the other teams), and it ended 0-0, with the closest chance being a dipping missile off the foot of Cristiano Ronaldo that hit off the cross bar. one team on the attack all game, one team defending their ass off all game. thrilling indeed.

italy and england played a 0-0 draw in 1997 that qualified england for france '98, the most incredible nils i've ever seen, before maybe this one tonight.

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

Missed a wide open net. Wow.

Kicks is a terribly unjust way to decide a match, but got dam is it exciting.

I absolutely hate the penalty tie breaker.  But, in 1998, watching Brazil beat the Netherlands in a bar in San Sebastian, Spain was fucking awesome.  Taffarel had two saves.  It was amazing.

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I absolutely hate the penalty tie breaker.  But, in 1998, watching Brazil beat the Netherlands in a bar in San Sebastian, Spain was fucking awesome.  Taffarel had two saves.  It was amazing.

Dude.  1994.  One of your stars was Baggio-ed.  Next to the Deutsch, no other nation has made a living on kicks like Brazil.

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

oh, there has been.   but the cabal would have to surrender power and share profit.  our leadership and powers that be are HAPPY with the shitass fuckedup situation we have now.  they LIKE IT.

Yes, has, as recently as the past Copa America Centenario, I believe, but not is.

Copa de Oro is ass, my dude.

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

This match is a great example of why the Copa America is infinitely better than our meager Gold Cup. More quality, more fans, more stars, more intensity ... 

Shame there's no serious discussion to merge the two.

Honestly, I don't want that.  Make it a different tournament.  The Copa America is the oldest international tournament.  In fact, I kind of hate that non South American teams are invited.  Let's keep some tradition alive.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't want that.  Make it a different tournament.  The Copa America is the oldest international tournament.  In fact, I kind of hate that non South American teams are invited.  Let's keep some tradition alive.

Understandable since Brazil is your first love, but we fans of the USMNT don't have many chances to see our boys play against the best teams from CONMEBOL in a meaningful setting.

Half the time, the Gold Cup boils down to the U.S. vs. Mexico for the cup. Shit gets old. Worse, CONCACAF even goes so far as to rig the tournament so that Mexico will get to the championship (e.g., 2015 had three pretty obvious cases of match fixing in favor of Mexico for those with no long-term memory). I'm ready to burn it down at this point.

• Like 1

Now I’m not saying I would have the balls to call it, but I thought you couldn’t change direction in your run up to the ball during a penalty.  You could feint and change speed of run up, but not go backward.  And Jesus definitely stoped, moved backward, continued, rocked back and the shot.

Maybe I’m making it up since it annoys the fuck out of me, but I thought that used to be considered unsportsmanlike behavior and cautionable.  

And no, I’m not a never Brazil fan boy.

Understandable since Brazil is your first love, but we fans of the USMNT don't have many chances to see our boys play against the best teams from CONMEBOL in a meaningful setting.
Half the time, the Gold Cup boils down to the U.S. vs. Mexico for the cup. Shit gets old. Worse, CONCACAF even goes so far as to rig the tournament so that Mexico will get to the championship (e.g., 2015 had three pretty obvious cases of match fixing in favor of Mexico for those with no long-term memory). I'm ready to burn it down at this point.

Oh, I certainly understand. But I just don’t like the idea. But, I think at some point the two will be combined.

Oh, I certainly understand. But I just don’t like the idea.

And I understand your perspective, as well. Why would y'all want your beautiful tournament watered down with the likes of CONCACAF trash?

Mexico is solid, the U.S. is usually respectable, and Costa Rica has its golden generations, but the rest would be there for participation ribbons.

8 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

And I understand your perspective, as well. Why would y'all want your beautiful tournament watered down with the likes of CONCACAF trash?

Mexico is solid, the U.S. is usually respectable, and Costa Rica has its golden generations, but the rest would be there for participation ribbons.

I am not ready to agree with you about Mexico.

• Like 1

Due to Argentina's atrocious group play, the big matchup of Argentina vs Brazil will happen in the semifinals rather than the finals.

Argentina is slightly trending up and although their keeper isn't anywhere close to Allison's level, he did make some nifty saves today.

This could be a good match...

Or it could be a 0-0 snoozer or a 3-0 Brazilian trouncing like the 2007 C.A. Final.

Whatever the outcome, the winner still isn't the automatic champ, because Colombia is fo' real and 2 time defending champs, Chile, are still in the hunt, though one will knock off the other later today. And Uruguay has quietly moved along and will face Peru tomorrow for a chance to face the Colombia vs Chile winner. Still can't get over how good Uruguay is with a population of only 3 million people. They are the all time Copa America title leader. (As was stated earlier in this thread.)

17 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I forgot it was a day game, but honestly watching them play Venezuela didn’t seem that interesting.

I guess we will find out which teams want to show up on July 2nd. I assume it’s an evening game?

It's mid-week and (I think) the only game that day, so it should be a night game. It will probably start about 9pm or 10pm Brazil time*.

*I noticed recently that Brazil & Argentina are now using the same time zone. And while a time zone shouldn't stretch much more than 15 degrees (some exceptions are made) due to chopping up 360 degrees by 24, Rio de Janeiro (43 degrees 11' WEST) and Mendoza, Argentina (68 degrees 49' WEST) are over 25 degrees apart and yet are currently in the same time zone. That's loco.

It's mid-week and (I think) the only game that day, so it should be a night game. It will probably start about 9pm or 10pm Brazil time*.

*I noticed recently that Brazil & Argentina are now using the same time zone. And while a time zone shouldn't stretch much more than 15 degrees (some exceptions are made) due to chopping up 360 degrees by 24, Rio de Janeiro (43 degrees 11' WEST) and Mendoza, Argentina (68 degrees 49' WEST) are over 25 degrees apart and yet are currently in the same time zone. That's loco.

I would say 9pm.

Sampa and Rio are the same time zone. For me I just think 2 hours ahead in summer and 4 hours ahead in winter.