New Laptop

• 4 months later...

I have the ryzen 3 version of this laptop. It's a "Walmart" brand but it's manufactured by TongFang. They are an ODM for many brand name laptop "manufacturers". Tongfang was the ODM for Walmarts Overpowered gaming laptops which almost every agreed were stellar laptops and deals at the price. This Motile laptop is offered by other "manufacturers" world wide. The quality seems to be hit or miss with some people getting lemons and others like me getting perfect machines.

It's full metal (magnesium) chassis. Really nice 1080 matte screen. The major issue is the single slot RAM which can adversely impact video. I got the R3 version for $199.  Bought a 16GB RAM stick for $50 and it's an incredible machine. Extremely light. The R5 version has double the RAM (8GB) and SSD (256 GB) and faster processor. People are able to do light gaming with the R5. I love my R3 version. Great value ultrabook (less than 2.5lbs).

Long ass thread on slick deals. R5 Version is back to $299. R3 versions is @ $229, lowest was $199. Give it a look if you are in for a good cheap ultrabook.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13798283-motile-14-laptop-ryzen-5-full-hd-256-gb-hd-8gb-ram-299?src=frontpage

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I have the ryzen 3 version of this laptop. It's a "Walmart" brand but it's manufactured by TongFang. They are an ODM for many brand name laptop "manufacturers". Tongfang was the ODM for Walmarts Overpowered gaming laptops which almost every agreed were stellar laptops and deals at the price. This Motile laptop is offered by other "manufacturers" world wide. The quality seems to be hit or miss with some people getting lemons and others like me getting perfect machines.

It's full metal (magnesium) chassis. Really nice 1080 matte screen. The major issue is the single slot RAM which can adversely impact video. I got the R3 version for $199.  Bought a 16GB RAM stick for $50 and it's an incredible machine. Extremely light. The R5 version has double the RAM (8GB) and SSD (256 GB) and faster processor. People are able to do light gaming with the R5. I love my R3 version. Great value ultrabook (less than 2.5lbs).

Long ass thread on slick deals. R5 Version is back to $299. R3 versions is @ $229, lowest was $199. Give it a look if you are in for a good cheap ultrabook.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13798283-motile-14-laptop-ryzen-5-full-hd-256-gb-hd-8gb-ram-299?src=frontpage

AMD's new mobile processors were just announced and should be available in laptops by this summer I believe. There is going to be a pretty big jump in efficiency and power, and as the new processors utilize AMD's second generation Ryzen core (the same core now powering their desktop and server resurgence/trouncing of Intel). Their previous mobile processors were relying on the first generation Ryzen and an older process node. Although good, they suffered with high idle power drain and generally were inferior to competing products from Intel. The new ones should basically be best in class across the board. 

• 2 weeks later...
At my last job we got surface pros.
I liked it, fast, quiet, powerful.
Only drawback was there were days that the charging/connection port would not connect. Next day it would work just fine. 
I'll give you a great deal on a docking station if you get one.
I'm interested. I bought a SP7 with 256/16 I7 this morning and will be here on wednesday. Will it work with the new one?

And to the above poster...USBC is included now. Happy dance.

• 1 month later...

To fire this thread back up.   Since kids are now online learning for at least two weeks if not more I need another laptop/chromebook at home so they dont have to use mine and see pronhub or worse..surly.    Any suggestions on something reasonable, good quality?   Reviews are all over the place on anything I find on amazon or at walmart.    I'd like to stay under $400.  

Edited by midtown

1 hour ago, midtown said:

To fire this thread back up.   Since kids are now online learning for at least two weeks if not more I need another laptop/chromebook at home so they dont have to use mine and see pronhub or worse..surly.    Any suggestions on something reasonable, good quality?   Reviews are all over the place on anything I find on amazon or at walmart.    I'd like to stay under $400.  

not many deals going on. don't know if it's just the time of year or a supply chain/coronavirus thing. 

the only deal i see is the HP from Costco.

https://www.costco.com/hp-14%22-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i3---1080p.product.100511171.html

or get the Motile 14 R3 from walmart. that's what i have and absolute love it for $200 that i got for it. it's currently $279 but price fluctuates between $225-299. the quality control is hit or miss. many people have lemons but many people like me have absolutely no issues. it was a GREAT deal for $200.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vega-HDMI-Front-RAM-Rose-FHD-4GB-display-AMD-128GB-Tuned-Camera-Radeon-14-Ryzen-Gold-720P-THX-Graphics-IR-SSD-Laptop-3-MOTILE-Spatial-Performance-Aud/708573214

• 1 year later...

I’m looking for a laptop that will mostly be used for school/work.  Don’t really have a preference on brand.  Just need a medium size screen.  I would just grab a Chromebook but I do want to be able to play a couple games on it, I’m attaching screenshots of their requirements to this post.  Any recommendations on this?  Honestly don’t know much about laptops.  Prefer to stay cheaper rather than getting top of the line models.

A2A4A192-E828-42AF-8C9A-10F019D4FB71.png

7BD5D409-CEA2-4B15-B952-1FCCF94A3E4C.png

those are pretty lightweight specs, i'd guess even integrated video can handle that. 

this isn't terrible tho 55/700u are last gen, despite the 5 out front:

https://slickdeals.net/f/15445516-hp-15z-ef2000-laptop-15-6-fhd-ips-ryzen-5-5500u-8gb-ddr4-256gb-ssd-365-free-shipping?v=1

be sure to upgrade the screen ans some more storage wouldn't be a bad idea if you don't know how to diy

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, elfenix said:

those are pretty lightweight specs, i'd guess even integrated video can handle that. 

this isn't terrible tho 55/700u are last gen, despite the 5 out front:

https://slickdeals.net/f/15445516-hp-15z-ef2000-laptop-15-6-fhd-ips-ryzen-5-5500u-8gb-ddr4-256gb-ssd-365-free-shipping?v=1

be sure to upgrade the screen ans some more storage wouldn't be a bad idea if you don't know how to diy

Like I said, I know nothing about this stuff.  If those are lightweight specs could I go with a Chromebook?

14 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Like I said, I know nothing about this stuff.  If those are lightweight specs could I go with a Chromebook?

If you didn't want to play games, probably.  You can play steam games through android apps and linux on a chromebook, but it's kind of janky I bet.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

If you didn't want to play games, probably.  You can play steam games through android apps and linux on a chromebook, but it's kind of janky I bet.

Both of those games are on Steam but sounds like the setup might be too much for me or the quality of play not worth it.

5 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Is the windows laptop better than the Chromebook at that price?

Six of one, half dozen of the other.  If you like using native apps over web-based ones, then yes, the Windows is probably better.  Things like Word, Excel, Photoshop-types, etc.

A chromebook excels at web-based anything.  And if you can deal with web-based email, wp, spreadsheets, or there's an advantage to it, then it's perfect.  And it needs a lot less powerful processor and less memory.

Frankly, I'm not sure the i5 and i7 chromebooks make any sense.  Chromebooks benefit from using low-power cheap electronics.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 9 months later...
7 hours ago, Parliament said:

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/chromebooks/buy/?modelCode=XE345XDA-LA1VZ

I found this one for $75(!).  I presume it's a discontinued model.  For $75 can it be any good at all?

Seems like everything I look at is sold out.

samsung store price is always after trade in, which they put as the very last option so you get excited about buying it first.  it's actually $325.  which is still cheap.  but the screen is low resolution (HD=1280x720), it doesn't have much ram (maybe doesn't matter so much in a chromebook, no idea).  processor is intel jasper lake, an efficiency core that, per wikichips, was on par with haswell (4th gen and perfectly fine for office/surfing work - still using one for work computer).