Jump to content
Goo Punch

2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Recommended Posts

It'll be interesting to check back in a year and see how this holds up. A whole lot is going to change between now and then, but this is how ESPN sees it today:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed.  I am buying the Bucks being pretty high, but I think Toronto still legitimately has to worry about the Clippers with Kawhi so that would change everything.  I'm confused with Clippers at #5 unless you assume Kawhi, but then # 2 Toronto doesn't make sense for me there and maybe the Clippers at # 5 is a bit low?  I don't think both rankings will be independently true next year as he can't be on both teams.  If Philly keeps their entire core (I think Harris might leave, Butler possibly) I like them a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

denver as the #1 team in the west is fucking idiotic.  

I agree 100% and I fucking love the Nugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not that far-fetched that Denver would be ranked #1 in the West.  Playoffs may be a different beast, but they were #2 this year and #1 will be without KD and Klay next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Lots of moving parts and assumptions about free agency moves in that ranking. As already mentioned if no Kawhi, Clips not that high; if Clips that high, Toronto got to go. Sixers also way too high if Butler goes elsewhere. IMO they should try to get in on the 3-way Lakers-Pels-X deal, even if Butler re*signs. Drop Ben Simmons for more shooting and maybe pick up a draft pick. I also think Boston's too low. Likely to see some addition by subtraction when Kyrie bolts.

I don't have a problem with Denver in that spot. I think the Rockets get worse with the continued degradation of CP3's ability but not his ego. Denver's young core should get better and better. The team in the West that's probably too high IMO is Portland. They are going to be the same team while everyone else gets better.

Edited by Llogg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm willing to take bets with anyone who wants to that denver does not finish next season #1 in the west.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also, the Warriors are obscenely high on this list. they are done for next year. the entire team may as well sit this one out and just practice and work on getting/staying healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Message Board User said:

It's not that far-fetched that Denver would be ranked #1 in the West.  Playoffs may be a different beast, but they were #2 this year and #1 will be without KD and Klay next season.

The Nuggets had an unsustainably high win percentage in games of 3 points or less and they were only 5th in the West in point differential. They are primed for a ton of regression next year without adding any clear talent upgrades for next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The Nuggets had an unsustainably high win percentage in games of 3 points or less and they were only 5th in the West in point differential. They are primed for a ton of regression next year without adding any clear talent upgrades for next year. 

Like a Michael Porter Jr, who's reportedly pain-free and ready for summer league?

Look, I'm not saying Denver is the odds on favorite for the #1 seed and if it's a choice between Denver and the field for that spot, you obviously take the field.  

But suggesting that Denver has no chance to finish with the top record in the diminished (weak?) West or expecting a massive regression is foolish considering their core is still in their early to mid 20s and will likely continue to improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

with the GS injuries, Houston need not panic anymore. If they keep everyone, HOU has a real shot at #1.  I also think Steph has a late season injury meaning a golden path to the Finals for the Rockets. KL can't carry the Clippers who don't have the talent of the Raptors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dubs should tank like the Spurs the year they got the Duncan pick while Robinson recovered from injury

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Dubs should tank like the Spurs the year they got the Duncan pick while Robinson recovered from injury

I actually don’t think this is all that bad of an idea. Steph is going to get worn out with that roster and no KT/KD for help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what do you think the odds are that pelicans @ lakers is one of the two opening night games this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

what do you think the odds are that pelicans @ lakers is one of the two opening night games this year?

Zion vs AD. Sign me up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2019 at 10:28 PM, Goo Punch said:

It'll be interesting to check back in a year and see how this holds up. A whole lot is going to change between now and then, but this is how ESPN sees it today:

 

 

 

first off, the Dubs should be nowhere near the top ten. so with that said, does Utah's move for Mike Conley move then ip into anyone's top 10 teams for next year? for me i think it probably does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

first off, the Dubs should be nowhere near the top ten. so with that said, does Utah's move for Mike Conley move then ip into anyone's top 10 teams for next year? for me i think it probably does. 

One of the Clips or Raptors should fall off that list when Kawhi decides, and the Celtics and Warriors also shouldn’t be on there. I’d definitely have the Jazz as one of the three teams replacing them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lakers have a mighty good collection of Bigs with AD, Cousins, Javale, Dwight Howard and Kuzma.  Bron can be a Big when needed. 

But how is the all important 3% shooting looking? Their downfall?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Lakers have a mighty good collection of Bigs with AD, Cousins, Javale, Dwight Howard and Kuzma.  Bron can be a Big when needed. 

But how is the all important 3% shooting looking? Their downfall?

Wait they signed Howard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, d2o said:

Wait they signed Howard?

No.  Not as of today.  He said he'd be open to resigning in LA but with McGee, Cousins, and Davis, they don't need another post player.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

No.  Not as of today.  He said he'd be open to resigning in LA but with McGee, Cousins, and Davis, they don't need another post player.

 

Ok, didn't think so.   I actually thought he would be a target for them before they re-singed Javale but yeah I can't imagine they have a need for a him now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, d2o said:

Ok, didn't think so.   I actually thought he would be a target for them before they re-singed Javale but yeah I can't imagine they have a need for a him now.

No, no way they sign Howard.  I could see him go to the Clips though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, NowThis said:

has any team missed the playoffs and won the title the next year? 

Offhand I would think the Lakers did when they won with Magic as a rookie but I would need to check

 

EDIT:  nope they were a 5 seed the yr before

Edited by d2o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, NowThis said:

has any team missed the playoffs and won the title the next year? 

Garnett Celtics.

Dr. Jack Blazers.

Edited by Mole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mole said:

Garnett Celtics.

Dr. Jack Blazers.

the 2007 Celtics only won 24 games, then with Garnett (and Sam Cassell!) 66 and the title. 

the 1976 Blazers won 37 games in a 5 team playoff set and missed the playoffs. Next year won 49 and the title. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mole said:

Garnett Celtics.

Dr. Jack Blazers.

completely forgot about the C's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blazermania!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fucking Maurice Lucas and Chocolate Thunder squaring off in Game2.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 9:36 AM, Underdog said:

Blazermania!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fucking Maurice Lucas and Chocolate Thunder squaring off in Game2.  

and both are dead.  Yet Skip Bayless lives on. 

Re Lakers 3% -- is that an issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2019 at 7:55 PM, NowThis said:

has any team missed the playoffs and won the title the next year? 

1999 Bulls. Obviously because the team fell apart after MJ retired, but it was also a shortened lockout year, and a lot of teams were out of sorts. The 8th seed Knicks made the Finals and lost to the Spurs. 

 

Edit: oops, read that backwards. Nvm... lol

Edited by Dutchrudder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

West Power Rankings

1. Rockets

2. Nuggets

3. Clippers

4. Lakers

5. Blazers

6. Warriors

7. Jazz

8-10 Spurs Mavs Thunder

11-14 Kings Pelicans Grizz Suns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cmontexas said:

West Power Rankings

1. Rockets

2. Nuggets

3. Clippers

4. Lakers

5. Blazers

6. Warriors

7. Jazz

8-10 Spurs Mavs Thunder

11-14 Kings Pelicans Grizz Suns

Rockets need to get some Bigs to be that high.  Pelicans might surprise some people if Zion can stay healthy. I got the 2 LA teams at the top, Houston at 6-8 at best (sign a big!). The GS story will be intriguing, how will they manage with only Steph for half a season? Could they miss the damn playoffs in the loaded west? What if steph gets hurt  too? Wild Wild West. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cmontexas said:

West Power Rankings

1. Rockets

2. Nuggets

3. Clippers

4. Lakers

5. Blazers

6. Warriors

7. Jazz

8-10 Spurs Mavs Thunder

11-14 Kings Pelicans Grizz Suns

According to who?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NowThis said:

Rockets need to get some Bigs to be that high.  Pelicans might surprise some people if Zion can stay healthy. I got the 2 LA teams at the top, Houston at 6-8 at best (sign a big!). The GS story will be intriguing, how will they manage with only Steph for half a season? Could they miss the damn playoffs in the loaded west? What if steph gets hurt  too? Wild Wild West. 

The Warriors were winning 50+ games in a loaded West back when David Lee was their 2nd best player. They may end up fighting for one of the last few seeds, but only because this may be one of those weird seasons where the 7 seed has 53 wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The Warriors were winning 50+ games in a loaded West back when David Lee was their 2nd best player. They may end up fighting for one of the last few seeds, but only because this may be one of those weird seasons where the 7 seed has 53 wins.

ah, i forgot about DeAngRussel who will provide points in Klay's void.  I see GS as a 6-8 seed, the intrigue begins when Klay returns and how the 3 guards mesh. They made a mistake in unloading Livingston and Iggs (had to for Ig for $ reasons).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know some of you guys will be happy about this.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird. It's almost as if people who have worked on and honed their crafts for their entire lives are significantly better at something than those who didn't, even though they "never played the game."

Can they please include CWebb in these demotions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Weird. It's almost as if people who have worked on and honed their crafts for their entire lives are significantly better at something than those who didn't, even though they "never played the game."

Can they please include CWebb in these demotions?

Chris Webber is more long-winded than i am, and that is BAD during a sporting telecast, regardless of sport. Dude never stops jabbering away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, d2o said:

I know some of you guys will be happy about this.

 

 

Praise the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2019 at 10:37 PM, cmontexas said:

West Power Rankings

1. Rockets

2. Nuggets

3. Clippers

4. Lakers

5. Blazers

6. Warriors

7. Jazz

8-10 Spurs Mavs Thunder

11-14 Kings Pelicans Grizz Suns

I'll take a stab at this...

I could pretty much talk myself into any order for 1-6. This is the deepest conference I have ever seen.

1. Clippers - best off season in the league; added Kawhi + George to playoff team and only lost Gilgeous-Alexander.

2. Nuggets - Grant was a good add around the margins. If they get something from Porter then look out but they aren't going to sneak up on anybody any more.

3. Rockets - rolled the dice; could be great could be a disaster. I think it's going to work out better than most do.

4. Warriors - not going to bet against Steph and Draymond on a mission but no Klay for at least the first half of the season plus zero depth and an absence of valuable role players. They are going to have to work much harder for it.

5. Lakers - Two of the best five-ish guys in the league, Kuzma, whatever is left of Boogie and then some role players. So much of their success is going to depend on what they can consistently get out of Green, Rondo, Bradley and even Jared Dudley. 

6. Jazz - great off season adding Conley and Bogdonavich. Should create lots of space for Donovan Mitchell to do work.

7. Spurs - they need big jumps from the younger players (Murray, White and Walker). I could see them being better than last season but having a worse record. 

8. Blazers - I think they are terribly overrated and had a below the radar shitty off season. Aminu is gone, they got rid of Harkless, Evan Turner, Seth Curry and Enes Kanter. Those guys played a ton of minutes for them last year. They added a headcase in Whiteside along with the decaying corpse of Pau Gasol plus Kent Bazemore and Mario Hezonja. Nurkic is out for who knows how long. 

Kings, Mavs, Pelicans, Thunder, Grizz, Suns. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'll take a stab at this...

I could pretty much talk myself into any order for 1-6. This is the deepest conference I have ever seen.

1. Clippers - best off season in the league; added Kawhi + George to playoff team and only lost Gilgeous-Alexander.

2. Nuggets - Grant was a good add around the margins. If they get something from Porter then look out but they aren't going to sneak up on anybody any more.

3. Rockets - rolled the dice; could be great could be a disaster. I think it's going to work out better than most do.

4. Warriors - not going to bet against Steph and Draymond on a mission but no Klay for at least the first half of the season plus zero depth and an absence of valuable role players. They are going to have to work much harder for it.

5. Lakers - Two of the best five-ish guys in the league, Kuzma, whatever is left of Boogie and then some role players. So much of their success is going to depend on what they can consistently get out of Green, Rondo, Bradley and even Jared Dudley. 

6. Jazz - great off season adding Conley and Bogdonavich. Should create lots of space for Donovan Mitchell to do work.

7. Spurs - they need big jumps from the younger players (Murray, White and Walker). I could see them being better than last season but having a worse record. 

8. Blazers - I think they are terribly overrated and had a below the radar shitty off season. Aminu is gone, they got rid of Harkless, Evan Turner, Seth Curry and Enes Kanter. Those guys played a ton of minutes for them last year. They added a headcase in Whiteside along with the decaying corpse of Pau Gasol plus Kent Bazemore and Mario Hezonja. Nurkic is out for who knows how long. 

Kings, Mavs, Pelicans, Thunder, Grizz, Suns. 

 

Technically the Clippers also lost Gallo as well, who was their leading scorer but not like you don't do the deal because of it.  Also 55 games of Tobias Harris.  

I'd say as a guess, I'd go:

1.  Clippers

2.  Denver

3.  Lakers

4.  Rockets

5.  Jazz

6.  Blazers

7.  Warriors 

8.  Spurs

9.  Cans

10.  Mavs

7-10 will be mashed up.  3-6 will be as well.   One of the top 8 teams will implode because of injury.  This is reg season.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...