2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

9 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

most significant thing fultz has done in his career?

Yep,   it would be so great for us if he plays well.    I was annoyed that we haven't drafted a PG and have 897723456987 SF/PFs on the roster.

4 minutes ago, Llogg said:

GSW going to have a pretty rough year by the looks of this first quarter. No KD, no Klay, now maybe going to be without Draymond.  sheeit

It's Quarter 1 of an 82 game season - probably a little early to generalize to a whole season.

Will GS be as good as recent years?  Of course not.  But they can probably be a 3-6 seed if they avoid major injuries.

And the Clippers are stacked (even without PG13) - every team they play will seemingly struggle.

Just now, Message Board User said:

It's Quarter 1 of an 82 game season - probably a little early to generalize to a whole season.

Will GS be as good as recent years?  Of course not.  But they can probably be a 3-6 seed if they avoid major injuries.

And the Clippers are stacked (even without PG13) - every team they play will seemingly struggle.

oh I know, but Golden State looked lost on offense much of the quarter, even with Kawhi on the bench for stretches.

The Clippers' 2nd unit really is unfair. You fight like hell to score against Beverly, Kawhi, and George (once he's back), and then they send in the unstoppable duo of Williams/Harrell.

I know it's way too early, but I don't see how they don't win the title if they stay healthy.

15 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

But they can probably be a 3-6 seed if they avoid major injuries.

Not in this year's West if Klay truly is going to miss most/all of the season.

I think they'll make the playoffs, but their margin for injury/error is virtually nil. One prolonged absence of Curry, Green, or Russell, and they may fall too far back.

All 3 of those guys will probably have to play in the 35+ minute range. Even then, a couple of guys that no one has ever heard of are going to have to score 10+ a night.

Edited by aggie08

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

If you factor in his contract and don't include players that are deteriorating because of age or injury, you could probably make a compelling argument that he's the worst player in the NBA.

You absolutely can. It's a short list. 

3 hours ago, NowThis said:

cool to see Kawhi almost every night.  Is there any doubt it's his world for the next 3 years?

Idk. Does Durant come back at 95%? If so, Nets are dangerous. 

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

But they can probably be a 3-6 seed if they avoid major injuries.

If Golden State makes the 3 seed I'll eat a sock soaked in habanero hot sauce for a week and post the video here. Hold me to it. 

I'm gonna throw this out there and I'm gonna see what this thread thinks. 

Durant was the Warriors dynasty. Their 2015 title was fake. They avoided the Clippers, Spurs and Thunder in the West. The Cavs lost 2 of their big 3. Last season, without Durant, they couldn't get past the Raptors. The Warriors are done. They needed KD to win. 

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Durant was the Warriors dynasty. Their 2015 title was fake. They avoided the Clippers, Spurs and Thunder in the West. The Cavs lost 2 of their big 3. Last season, without Durant, they couldn't get past the Raptors. The Warriors are done. They needed KD to win. 

I'm the biggest Warrior's/Steph homer on this board, and even I readily acknowledge that there's no dynasty without KD. Without him, I think they probably would have won one more; but, even if they did, 2 titles in 5 years--and certainly not 5 Finals in a row--does not a dynasty make. KD turned them from legit perennial championship contender to practically unbeatable.

But your other points are whack. Their 2015 title wasn't "fake." They "avoided" the Spurs, Thunder, and Clippers because those teams weren't particularly good that season, or were massive choke artists who would have gotten rolled by the Warriors anyway (looking at you, Doc). They obviously caught injury luck (most championship teams do), but the injury bug came back to bite them in ass the following year with their 73 win squad, so it is what it is. The Cavs and Warriors splitting the 2015 and 2016 Finals was karmic balance.

Without KD and zero bench last postseason, they finished off the Rockets, swept the Blazers, and I think they beat the Raptors with a healthy Klay (that doesn't make the Raptors title fake either; every postseason in NBA history has been shaped by injuries). Their original core are fucking tough to kill in a playoff series.

This season, if they had Klay from day 1, I think that they would be a really fun team fighting for a home playoff series, but a very clear full step behind the LA teams, Milwaukee, and Philly. Then they'd be poised to potentially jump back into championship contention once they figure out how to turn Russell and Iggy's trade exception into actual NBA basketball players in the offseason.

But now? It's going to be tough sledding with a lot having to go right just to squeak into the 8 seed. Motion offenses don't really work when there's only 2 guys on the roster who can make ANY shot, let alone create their own.

10 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

It's going to be a real shame if GS returns to irrelevancy and they have trouble filling that brand spanking new arena.

I get that sports ultimately come down to money, but pricing out Oakland--who has fanatically supported a whole lot of garbage Warriors' teams--just feels cruel.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Fake is very harsh as it doesn't account for injury good fortune in every year.  Did they get lucky that year with injuries?  Absolutely.  Jrue Holiday, Mike Conley, Chris Paul and finally Kyrie all were hurt or got hurt during their series, but almost every team needs some injury luck to win out.  Toronto doesn't win last year without KD getting hurt.  That said, Golden State's most likely history would be a one and done team.  I've written about several times, but their best bet for a 2nd title was the next year when they won 73 games and they were upset with Draymond perhaps costing them a title with his ego.  After that, their bench starts to fall apart and while they would have been a very good team and contender, they probably don't win another title.  So yes.... KD was their dynasty and I think most Warriors fans, upon reflection, are okay with that.

12 hours ago, aggie08 said:

The Clippers' 2nd unit really is unfair. You fight like hell to score against Beverly, Kawhi, and George (once he's back), and then they send in the unstoppable duo of Williams/Harrell.

I know it's way too early, but I don't see how they don't win the title if they stay healthy.

Is it time to go back and revisit what a horrible trade Houston made for Chris Paul? Lou Williams and Pat Beverly with two of the most owner friendly contracts in the league, Harrell, plus a first round pick that ended up netting the Clips Danilo Gallilnari (a big piece of the Paul George trade ultimately). All of that for the pleasure of grossly overpaying the injury plagued point god and subsequently having to dump another four first round picks/swaps to get rid of his contract and acquire Westbrook.

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

There is no "avoiding" anyone in the playoffs.  The best teams advance.  If the Clippers, Spurs and Thunder were awesome, they would have advanced.

In 2017, if the Warriors wouldn't have signed Durant, they would have signed somebody else good - possibly Gordon Hayward, Paul Millsap or even Blake Griffin.  Or they would have signed Harrison Barnes and still had money left over to shore up their bench.  It's even possible that they would have kicked the can down the road and gone all-in on Paul George the next year.  Any of those options could have been enough to win another title or two. 

Everyone forgets how well Golden State played when Durant was out over the last few years. They moved the ball a lot better and everyone else stepped up.  At one point, I believe they were 25-1 when Durant sat and Curry played.  I have no doubt they would have beaten Toronto last year if Klay hadn't gone down.

I'm also not ready to totally give up on them this year. The team will get better as they figure out how to use D'Angelo Russell.  Russell is also a great trade asset as he is a good young player on a long-term deal.  It is possible that they could flip him for someone like Bradley Beal.  OR combos like Teague + Covington + J. Culver.  Or Tobias Harris + M. Thybulle.  Or Z. Lavine + K. Dunn.

The point is that they still have the best two shooters in NBA history plus a very valuable trade asset.  They aren't going away.

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

No team has no control over injuries or series they are not apart of. Avoiding is an action where you have control. Choosing to avoid something or someone. They didn't avoid anyone. If you want to say that title is "fake", then you can go poke holes in so many titles in every sport. They hoisted the trophy at the end of the year and that is all that matters. I would have liked to see the Cavs at full strength but it doesn't always work like that. Just like the Warriors were injured last Finals and lost. Is the Raptors title now "fake" ??

What Kawhi did with Toronto solidified him as the best in basketball IMO.  He's going to win another championship this year I think.  Only John Salley and Big Shot Bob have rings with 3 teams.  Would be awesome to see Kawhi somehow manage to get rings as the star of the team with 4.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Clippers are winning it all this season. They're squashing their competition with Paul George injured. They have the best bench in the NBA and a stout perimeter defense. Lou Williams continues to be one of the most explosive scorers coming off the bench. I just can't see any scenario where a West team can topple them in a best of 7 series and whatever team from the east that rises to the top of the scrap heap won't stand a chance it'll be a 4-1 kind of series.

48 minutes ago, Chad said:

Clippers are winning it all this season. They're squashing their competition with Paul George injured. They have the best bench in the NBA and a stout perimeter defense. Lou Williams continues to be one of the most explosive scorers coming off the bench. I just can't see any scenario where a West team can topple them in a best of 7 series and whatever team from the east that rises to the top of the scrap heap won't stand a chance it'll be a 4-1 kind of series.

I mean its all cool and legit. Kawhi was able to tamper PG into leaving OKC but it doesnt anybody because he wasn't technically on a team.

3 hours ago, Jhawk said:

What Kawhi did with Toronto solidified him as the best in basketball IMO.  He's going to win another championship this year I think.  Only John Salley and Big Shot Bob have rings with 3 teams.  Would be awesome to see Kawhi somehow manage to get rings as the star of the team with 4.

nothing awesome about seeing that bitchass faker have success

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

holy shit KAT comes out this season on fire now that the offense is focused around him. 

37/15/8/4st/4 3pm/2 blocks tonight on 18 shots and shooting an uncharacteristic 7-13 from the line. Hes usually probably 10/11 of 13. 

Hoping he has a big season. 

It's been 2 games. Let's chill on that.
  • Like 1