2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

He was too busy all summer working on that stupid ass running one leg three.    All that talk about "mastering the game"  He's fucking ridiculous and ALL about the wrong shit.    It shows every May.    He will eventually balance out.    Getting bailed out to the tune of 16 FTAs/gm is some bullshit but makes his ppg look good.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Plus, you should never discount the "kicking a man when he's down" factor that a struggling Harden/Westbrook would provide when both are filling up box scores and losing. Personally, I think they will get it together and start winning at a decent clip

Yeah, the Rockets will be fine; they'll work out the kinks. Few are better at winning regular season basketball games than Harden and D'Antoni [snark level: 100%].

It's just always going to be uncomfortable. Russ has to have the ball because he's utterly useless without it, so it sort of makes sense to have Harden play a slightly more traditional 2 guard...

...but then you're taking the ball out of the hands of a player who is, unequivocally, a better dribbler, passer, shooter, finisher, and creator than Russ.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

https://twitter.com/JamieHudsonNBCS/status/1191454623036391426?s=20

I remember talking about how much great luck they with respect to injuries during their run.    Its hit them all at once.     If you had a choice that is the way you want it though.   Five years of relatively great health and then pay the piper later.

Helps them this year though (June's Finals, not so much).  They want to lose as much as possible now....

3 hours ago, d2o said:

He was too busy all summer working on that stupid ass running one leg three.    All that talk about "mastering the game"  He's fucking ridiculous and ALL about the wrong shit.    It shows every May.    He will eventually balance out.    Getting bailed out to the tune of 16 FTAs/gm is some bullshit but makes his ppg look good.

He's also now on the wrong side of 30. 

When it goes, it can go fast.

On 11/1/2019 at 11:43 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Plus, if an argument between teammates factors into you leaving, how fucking weak is that? Teammates argue constantly. On the court and off. Man the fuck up.

I mean he gifted them 2 titles. He doesn't owe that franchise shit. 

Different than showing up, not winning anything and leaving. He can leave for whatever reason he wants.

10 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Easy answer: Los Angeles.

Yeah. Fuck the Lakers.

21 hours ago, d2o said:

The whole org is rotten.........

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/256046/Daryl-Morey-Rockets-Can-Become-NBAs-Best-Offensive-Team-Ever

Just now, huge said:

Thats not ideal, but rotten?

I'm a Houstonian that doesn't really think this team is going to do much but "Rockets are Rotten"?

Morey is a bad person?

I mean in a sense of knowing/concentrating on actually winning.    He, Harden and D'antoni seem to consistently concentrate on the wrong shit.     The main three rudders for the org have shown they don't know what it really takes to win at a high level.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, d2o said:

I mean in a sense of knowing/concentrating on actually winning.    He, Harden and D'antoni seem to consistently concentrate on the wrong shit.     The main three rudders for the org have shown they don't know what it really takes to win at a high level.

As opposed to most of the rest of the league that is consistently winning at a "high level"?

I'm no Rockets fanboi but what Morey has done with the roster to keep it competitive has been impressive to me.

7 minutes ago, huge said:

As opposed to most of the rest of the league that is consistently winning at a "high level"?

I'm no Rockets fanboi but what Morey has done with the roster to keep it competitive has been impressive to me.

This. I don't find the Rockets/Harden particularly enjoyable to watch, I laughed at the absurdity of their "officiating memo" and points lost breakdown against Golden State when their offense largely depends on tricking the refs, and I question their in-house leadership and chemistry to win it all...

...but they've made the playoffs in 7 consecutive seasons, winning 50+ games in 5 of them, and their season has only been ended by the Warriors 4 of the past 5 years. Everyone but Golden State, LeBron, and San Antonio should be envious of that success.

The analytics and braggadocio can be a bit much, but Morey's desire to win is unquestionable. He makes big, sometimes crazy moves, and isn't afraid to quickly pivot off of them if they don't work. I respect that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

This. I don't find the Rockets/Harden particularly enjoyable to watch, I laughed at the absurdity of their "officiating memo" and points lost breakdown against Golden State when their offense largely depends on tricking the refs, and I question their in-house leadership and chemistry to win it all...

...but they've made the playoffs in 7 consecutive seasons, winning 50+ games in 5 of them, and their season has only been ended by the Warriors 4 of the past 5 years. Everyone but Golden State, LeBron, and San Antonio should be envious of that success.

The analytics and braggadocio can be a bit much, but Morey's desire to win is unquestionable. He makes big, sometimes crazy moves, and isn't afraid to quickly pivot off of them if they don't work. I respect that.

My exact point.

Yes, their reg season success is great.  Seriously.  However, there is a reason they seem to flame out (often spectacularly) every yr in the playoffs.   Its not just because of the Warriors. The 3 leading personalities of the org are focused on the wrong things.

• Like 1

Building a team around a stat-chasing iso-centric ball hog will never be a recipe for top-level success. The best player in the world isn't going to consistently get you more than 30 points a night and 10 assists. That's a very generous estimate that puts them responsible for 60 points. That's great. Where's the other 50-60 points you have to reliably have to win? Where's the defender that keeps the opponent's best players from going off for 30 and 10?

Their best team was 2017 not b/c of the combo of Chris Paul and Harden but because they had Ariza, Mbah-Moute, Tucker, and Capela locked in playing defense. They let two of them walk, the third is past his prime and the fourth has regressed.

• Like 2

Turns out Dwight Howard may have been the biggest value FA signing of the offseason.  Stat line may not show it, but he is doing all of the little things- clogging the middle, blocking shots, getting boards- that we desperately needed.  IF we still healthy, Lakers can win this whole thing.  

38 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Dwight has been fantastic but I think most are expecting his back to eventually give out.  I'm impressed on how much he's embraced being a role player.  Took him a few seasons.

He lost a lot of weight which may help him avoid more back trouble.    He has been great for them so far though.   Everything they thought they would get from Javale and a lot more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Turns out Dwight Howard may have been the biggest value FA signing of the offseason.  Stat line may not show it, but he is doing all of the little things- clogging the middle, blocking shots, getting boards- that we desperately needed.  IF we still healthy, Lakers can win this whole thing.  

Yeah, Lakers fans can't stop talking about it, but they really shouldn't get their hopes up yet, he has a history of turning sour and making demands. There are a lot of big personalities on that team, I don't see this going smoothly for 82 games. 

3 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Yeah, Lakers fans can't stop talking about it, but they really shouldn't get their hopes up yet, he has a history of turning sour and making demands. There are a lot of big personalities on that team, I don't see this going smoothly for 82 games. 

The whole league is hoping this implodes.  That's why I like our chances.

• Like 1

Steph
Klay
Paschal
Looney
Draymond
Lotto choice
Whatever else they come up with
NOT WCS

They are going to be great again next year and I hate to say that.

I was on the floor next to the warrior bench and Kerr was bemused most of the game.

9 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

And then their bodies broke down and their quality of play declined.

The fights and rivalries were better but the play was bad.  It gave roles for players who had little to no offensive skills but who were big.  (Charles Oakley.)  Steph Curry would have never stuck around then.  He'd be injured frequently and basketball would still be ugly.

12 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The fights and rivalries were better but the play was bad.  It gave roles for players who had little to no offensive skills but who were big.  (Charles Oakley.)  Steph Curry would have never stuck around then.  He'd be injured frequently and basketball would still be ugly.

Yeah, only manly men like Reggie Miller could survive in the good ol' days.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Steph would be just fine. The guys more likely to struggle would be guys like Lebron that rely on physicality yo get things done. Stephs shot would still be the best ever.

11 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Steph would be just fine. The guys more likely to struggle would be guys like Lebron that rely on physicality yo get things done. Stephs shot would still be the best ever.

LBJ is just as big or bigger than the enforcers of those days and infinitely faster and more athletic.    He would be just fine.

16 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Steph would go to the rack once against the Pistons and that would be that.

Ya know, you're probably right. Players would be better served by being proficient around the perimeter, and reluctantly dragging those lumbering goons 30 feet from the basket. Gee, who would be able to do that though?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Ya know, you're probably right. Players would be better served by being proficient around the perimeter, and reluctantly dragging those lumbering goons 30 feet from the basket. Gee, who would be able to do that though?

Are they being hand checked on the perimeter?

56 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Are they being hand checked on the perimeter?

People either vastly over-estimate the size strength of the players back then or vastly under-estimate the size/strength of today's guys.    Steph weighs more than, Kevin Johnson, Tim Hardaway, and Mark Price and as much as Isiah Thomas.   They all managed to survive going to the hole once or twice.    No idea why you guys think Steph is gonna break in half.

• Like 1

A168%20(1).jpg?itok=pnxzD5K7

After you think of it... they've probably played 6 actual seasons instead of 5 over the past few years. Id be elated if Steph didnt play again this year if i was a GS fan.

If they can draft a rim blocking center to pair next to Dray, and unload DLo for quality depth...add a chaser or 2 and theyll be ready to roll next year.

I honestly dont see Dlo being apart of their future as long as Klay and Steph are making 3s like crazy. He just makes their lineup shorter, takes away shots, cant guard a stick, and uses 29 million in cap.

57 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

After you think of it... they've probably played 6 actual seasons instead of 5 over the past few years. Id be elated if Steph didnt play again this year if i was a GS fan.

I don't know how elated I would be if I just plunked down a cool $35,000 for a PSL on top of $600/seat for 41 games. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, d2o said:

People either vastly over-estimate the size strength of the players back then or vastly under-estimate the size/strength of today's guys.    Steph weighs more than, Kevin Johnson, Tim Hardaway, and Mark Price and as much as Isiah Thomas.   They all managed to survive going to the hole once or twice.    No idea why you guys think Steph is gonna break in half.

That was my point about Lebron. Bron could absolutely thrive in those leagues but he would take a beating doing it because of his play style. 

My original point was that load management is a real thing and the whole “well the 80s were so physical and guys played every game” argument misses the point. It’s not about whether guys could survive, it’s about prolonging their quality.