2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

6 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

After you think of it... they've probably played 6 actual seasons instead of 5 over the past few years. Id be elated if Steph didnt play again this year if i was a GS fan.

If they can draft a rim blocking center to pair next to Dray, and unload DLo for quality depth...add a chaser or 2 and theyll be ready to roll next year.

I honestly dont see Dlo being apart of their future as long as Klay and Steph are making 3s like crazy. He just makes their lineup shorter, takes away shots, cant guard a stick, and uses 29 million in cap.

Dray, Klay, and Curry will all be in their early 30s by the Spring of 2021. 

GS has made their last Finals for quite a while.

15 hours ago, Message Board User said:

looking at the demographics of the West -- Lebron will fall off the mountain in 1-2 years, A Davis will most likely take off elsewhere .  Kawhi will rule the NBA for the next 2-3 years. But after that, it's Luka's world, he's really the white Lebron with a better jumper. If the Mavs can continue to add pieces, they'll be the top West team around 2024 or 2025.

16 hours ago, Message Board User said:

They’ve got one or two more deep playoff runs in them if they end up giving everybody meaningful the year off to recuperate, flip Russell for a useful piece, and add a high lottery pick.

Someone finally lit a fire under Andrew Wiggins.   He's been on a tear!
Hes really cut back on terrible twos and taking it to the rim.

Not a good 3pt or ft shooter... but his drives are effortless due to his athletic ability. Tons of honed in energy, good for him. I was tired of bagging him. I hope he can keep up this play... then that contract wont look as bad

9 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

there are currently 28 NBA players averaging 20+ ppg; that has to be a record, right? that's insane. 

Its been like that the last few yrs early in the yr.    The season is still only a couple weeks old.   It won't last but its great.     I need to go back and actually check but in the early 80's there were a lot of guys scoring 20+ for full seasons.   There were quite a few less teams then too so more teams had multiple 20+ scorers.   Pretty sure either DEN and maybe even GSW had two 25 ppg scorers

EDIT:

82-83 there were 25 20ppg+ scorers  https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_1983_per_game.html#per_game_stats::pts_per_g

84-85 there were 28  https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_1985_per_game.html#per_game_stats::pts_per_g

Edited by d2o

Man the league is in a great place.   LBJ still going strong.   Multiple "middle aged"  superstars like Kawhi and Freak ready to take the throne.  Then you have a long list of guys with potential to carry the league in another 3-5 yrs.  

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Man the league is in a great place.   LBJ still going strong.   Multiple "middle aged"  superstars like Kawhi and Freak ready to take the throne.  Then you have a long list of guys with potential to carry the league in another 3-5 yrs.  

Except the refs are the worst. That Rockets game last night was borderline unwatchable b/c of what a shitty job they did. I actually wish the reporters would do end of game interviews with the refs instead of catching bullshit platitudes from the players courtside after a game.

Edited by Llogg

40 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Russ knocking someone else for fake defensive hustle...the lack of self-awareness astounds. Please never change, Russ.

That is pretty amazing but I don't think he fancies himself to be a great defender.   He just is speaking from a "nobody can stop me offensively"  while completely ignoring defense.    He fits in perfectly in HOU

30 minutes ago, d2o said:

That is pretty amazing but I don't think he fancies himself to be a great defender.   He just is speaking from a "nobody can stop me offensively"  while completely ignoring defense.    He fits in perfectly in HOU

I counter with:

“Scoring the basketball is not the only thing I can do,” Westbrook said, via The Oklahoman.

“I’m the best rebounder at my position, the best passer at my position, the best defender at my position."

He absolutely thinks that occasionally running around like a chicken with his head cut off and snarling makes him a great defender. The best even.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I counter with:

He absolutely thinks that occasionally running around like a chicken with his head cut off and snarling makes him a great defender. The best even.

I counter your counter with:

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

Edited by d2o
  • Haha 1

On 11/12/2019 at 7:51 PM, Goo Punch said:

there are currently 28 NBA players averaging 20+ ppg; that has to be a record, right? that's insane. 

According to NBA.com, there were 35 guys that finished last year averaging 20 pts or more last year, 28 in 2017-18,  33 in 2016-17. 

https://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular Season

15 hours ago, CBT said:

This is wrong, but I could see how people who don't watch the games could take this guy's word for it. Harden took more than 6 shots with Bev as the primary defender, but the "stats" show it as the help defender giving up the bucket when Harden gets past the perimeter defender and takes it to the rim. 

Not that Bev is a bad defender, because he is quite good, but that tweet is the equivalent of drawing conclusions from looking at the box score.

Edited by Dutchrudder

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Oh yeaahhh! I totally forgot that Bev was the guy who ended Russ's postseason in 2013 by diving at the ball when Russ was calling a casual timeout at half-court.

22 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

pat bev is a great defender.  russ has hated him for years now and was doing anything he needed to do to deflect from the dogshit performance he put up himself on wednesday night.

the end.

Yes he's a great defender, but he also does shit that is reckless and endangers other players and himself. That's part of what makes him a successful defender, doing shit other guys don't, but it's not really just him being quicker or having better technique. He's borderline dirty.

Dirty in today's NBA where continuation is 4 steps after a foul and you can't breathe on someone who gets paid more than $22M doesn't get you on the all-NBA defensive team just 20 years ago.  The idea that anyone can be a "good defender" and dirty in today's game is a joke.  Unless you foul people to hurt them you aren't dirty and ONLY the top 2-3 defenders in this league can compete with the defenses of the 80's and 90's.

• Like 2