2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

remember the Hamptons from as far back as 2018?  Green is the only one playing this season for GS. If counting Cousins, he's out for the year also. If DA Russell is Hamptons +1, he gone too. Livingston retired. Poof , total devastation in such a short time.  Iggy with Memphis.

180516-hamptons-five.jpg

Edited by NowThis

Watching Doncic and LBJ each flirting with averaging a triple double, i can't help but notice how drastically different it looks when they do it vs when Russ did it. The further we get away from Russ's MVP season the more fraudulent and pathetic it looks. Imagine LBJ fighting Anthony Davis for wide open rebounds, or Doncic's teammates all scrambling to get him the ball in a concerted effort to help him accrue hollow stats, as opposed to playing a team game and running an actual offense. Knowing how hard Russ *and* his teammates had to try to accomplish the feat makes what Luka and LBJ are currently doing that much more impressive.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 3

Irregardless of the outcome, if Paul George is your 2nd best player you do not have a 2nd best player. I would also say if your best player is a midget by NBA standards then you are not a serious title contender. Zeke was the one and only small guy in my lifetime who was the best player on a championship team. 

I am also okay with a nuke hitting Staples tonight.

Edited by UpperWestside

21 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Irregardless of the outcome, if Paul George is your 2nd best player you do not have a 2nd best player. I would also say if your best player is a midget by NBA standards then you are not a serious title contender. Zeke was the one and only small guy in my lifetime who was the best player on a championship team. 

I am also okay with a nuke hitting Staples tonight.

I think the hope is that Tatum is their best player.

Jesus, the refs in that LAC/BOS game were setting records for most egregiously wrong calls. Kemba laid out for the obvious charge late in the game and the refs choke on their own dicks. Just fucking terrible.

That said, Kanter's pitiful efforts on defense in limited minutes in the second half might have been the difference in the game. Theis also consistently played the high screen wrong.

Edited by Llogg

On 11/19/2019 at 2:15 PM, Sbbruin said:

Anybody read this on Jeff David, former Chief Revenue Officer of the Kings?  Crazy fraud case.  Fascinating read.  I'm not through all of it yet though.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28078881/how-nba-executive-jeff-david-stole-13-million-sacramento-kings

Crazy story. Arnovitz is a great writer, love all his stuff.

6 hours ago, Message Board User said:

so with load management, a 17 man roster and reduced minutes - the players still want a 78 game season? lmao at the lazy bastards.  Wouldn't 4 fewer games reduce gate revenue too? Wtf is an in season tourney and doesn't that increase the season? This is some moronic stuff going on, to destroy the best pro sport we have.

1 hour ago, NowThis said:

so with load management, a 17 man roster and reduced minutes - the players still want a 78 game season? lmao at the lazy bastards.  Wouldn't 4 fewer games reduce gate revenue too? Wtf is an in season tourney and doesn't that increase the season? This is some moronic stuff going on, to destroy the best pro sport we have.

Ain't nobody cares about the regular season, and it's been that way for some time. Gotta try something. 

Hopefully, this is the precursor to the best 16 teams making the playoffs instead of two decent East teams and six JV teams.

Just now, aggie08 said:

Ain't nobody cares about the regular season, and it's been that way for some time. Gotta try something. 

Hopefully, this is the precursor to the best 16 teams making the playoffs instead of two decent East teams and six JV teams.

this is a sign of desperation. The regular season in hoops has been meaningless every since they went to 16 team playoffs and that has been decades. So why change it now? The NBA is really popular globablly. They don't "gotta try something". It's a solution looking for a problem.  I don't mind seeding the top 16 records but all this nonsene of a mid season playoff or 78 games is pure garbage.  Do top 16 and keep everything else the same. Right now 2 East below .500 make the playoffs, so that is unacceptable.

• Like 1

Reducing games would reduce revenue, that is compensated by having an in season tournament which would probably replace all star weekend. The hope is that teams will take it seriously and be competitive and drive viewership. Reducing the amount of games would also reduce the intentional rest which turns off fans and causes reduced interest. Its a radical forward thinking proposal for the most forward thinking league. 

33 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Reducing games would reduce revenue, that is compensated by having an in season tournament which would probably replace all star weekend. The hope is that teams will take it seriously and be competitive and drive viewership. Reducing the amount of games would also reduce the intentional rest which turns off fans and causes reduced interest. Its a radical forward thinking proposal for the most forward thinking league. 

They won’t get rid of all star weekend.

On 11/23/2019 at 7:31 PM, NowThis said:

The players arent the ones asking for this.   More importantly, with all of the tourneys and play ins most teams would end up at 82 anyway.

On 11/23/2019 at 10:02 PM, conVINCEd said:

They won’t get rid of all star weekend.

Yeah, I don't think so either but this mid-season tourney would render it completely useless.   Would players play in the tourney or in the ASG?   I'm pretty anti this tourney stuff though.   Particularly a mid-season one.    I could maybe see it for the 6-10 teams in each conference maybe doing it to determine the final 2 seeds on each side of the bracket

Edited by d2o

On 11/23/2019 at 11:46 PM, gsoda3 said:

only way an inseason tournament makes sense is if we play other non-nba professional teams.  even then it's a stretch and i can't see the players actually caring.

You can't have those games count in reg season records consequently they could never be more than exhibition games and no one is trying to risk their player's health for mid season exhibitions.

On 11/23/2019 at 12:27 PM, Message Board User said:

Love fewer games (it needs to be more, but this is a start), like reseeding (needs to be the entire playoffs, not just semis), love the play-in tourney between 7-10 (wouldn't hate including all the lottery teams somehow), meh on the midseason tourney. 

23 minutes ago, CBT said:

Love fewer games (it needs to be more, but this is a start), like reseeding (needs to be the entire playoffs, not just semis), love the play-in tourney between 7-10 (wouldn't hate including all the lottery teams somehow), meh on the midseason tourney. 

A lottery tourney for the #1 pick could be interesting.  Would help to alleviate tanking.

...that said, I probably won't be tuning in to watch Charlotte play Detroit for the right to draft some 18 year old I've barely heard of.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Last season, the "Celtics are better without Kyrie" talk was largely dismissed as nonsensical.

But it's getting more and more difficult to ignore the results.  And as someone who's followed Kyrie's career closely for the last 10 years, the results surprise me not at all.

You had people on here who actually believed Kyrie was the reason for the Cavs success and not Lebron lmao. Kyrie had the Cavs at the bottom of the league until Lebron arrived. He went to the Celtics and they made a great run once he was not on the court. The offense flows much better without him. Every player has more life when he's not out there. If it wasn't for Lebron, he'd be irrelevant. He made that one shot in 2016 and people have this opinion of him that is way above what he really is as a player. He's never going to make a team better.