2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Kyrie's IG post yesterday.

78952915_10158578785577502_7219599699680

jesus. that reminds me of rocko. like i'm pretty sure i understand the point that he's trying to make, but it's like he speaks a version of English that I never learned. also both of them misuse SAT words on the regular, which is confusing but then eventually funny. maybe they're cousins or something. 

My favorite is how he's continuing to try to use the death of his grandfather to excuse completely sabotaging professional relationships and checking out mentally. Dude, you're in your late 20's... that's about the time most people start losing their grandparents. It sucks, but we don't get to implode at the workplace because of it.

15 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

My favorite is how he's continuing to try to use the death of his grandfather to excuse completely sabotaging professional relationships and checking out mentally. Dude, you're in your late 20's... that's about the time most people start losing their grandparents. It sucks, but we don't get to implode at the workplace because of it.

Kyrie's just wired differently...or maybe he's the stereotype of the emo Millennial.  I mean, this is a guy who thought seriously of demanding a trade in the Summer of 2016 after Game 7 and The Shot just to get out from Lebron's shadow.  Winning is way down on the list of things that drives Kyrie.

Rewind back to 2013 or 2014, before The Return (tm), and the Cavs were running with Kyrie and Dion in the backcourt.  It was blindingly apparent the two didn't get along and were like oil & water on the court.  Eventually, most Cavs fans knew, one of the two would need to be dealt.

It seems preposterous now (given Dion's career), but there was a substantial contingent of Cavs fans who preferred Dion over Kyrie.  It was universally recognized that Kyrie was far more talented than Dion could ever hope to be.  Talent and fit for the modern game was never the issue with Kyrie.  But even back then there was significant concern about Kyrie's moodiness, aloofness, and general disdainful attitude towards defense or being any kind of leader or positive locker room influence...and those concerns have been substantiated.  

There were reports that Kyrie wasn't going to sign his extension if Lebron returned to Cleveland and that Kyrie was the last impediment to The Return; those reports were laughed off at the time as typical SAS/Bucher/Broussard bullshit but I can believe it now.

It's only a matter of time before Kyrie wears out his welcome in Brooklyn, if he hasn't already.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Kyrie's just wired differently...or maybe he's the stereotype of the emo Millennial.  I mean, this is a guy who thought seriously of demanding a trade in the Summer of 2016 after Game 7 and The Shot just to get out from Lebron's shadow.  Winning is way down on the list of things that drives Kyrie.

Rewind back to 2013 or 2014, before The Return (tm), and the Cavs were running with Kyrie and Dion in the backcourt.  It was blindingly apparent the two didn't get along and were like oil & water on the court.  Eventually, most Cavs fans knew, one of the two would need to be dealt.

It seems preposterous now (given Dion's career), but there was a substantial contingent of Cavs fans who preferred Dion over Kyrie.  It was universally recognized that Kyrie was far more talented than Dion could ever hope to be.  Talent and fit for the modern game was never the issue with Kyrie.  But even back then there was significant concern about Kyrie's moodiness, aloofness, and general disdainful attitude towards defense or being any kind of leader or positive locker room influence...and those concerns have been substantiated.  

There were reports that Kyrie wasn't going to sign his extension if Lebron returned to Cleveland and that Kyrie was the last impediment to The Return; those reports were laughed off at the time as typical SAS/Bucher/Broussard bullshit but I can believe it now.

It's only a matter of time before Kyrie wears out his welcome in Brooklyn, if he hasn't already.

I am just ready to see him and KD play together for the entertainment factor. Not so much on the court but off. Both of them are pretty thin skinned. I can see Kyrie saying shit to hurt KD's feelings.

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If the season stopped in April, sure.

I'm not talking about what he has or hasn't done in the past. And he's not a terrible playoff performer - just not someone that elevates their game. Maybe he figures it out this season, he just turned 30. Dirk was 32 when he won it. Hakeem was 31 in '94. Celtics big 3 in '08 were all 30+. 

Now I'm not sure about the Westbrook experiment, but Harden still has time. 

2 minutes ago, Llogg said:

There's a compelling argument to make for him, sure. If I'm picking one guy to play one on three he's my pick 100%. If I'm drafting a real NBA team to try and win an NBA championship? I want somebody who can play defense and not rely on refs bailing him out so much.

Yeah that's fair. I'm just sharing my opinion 20 games in. I doubt most people agree with me. Especially with how much the media has LeBron's cock in their mouth right now. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I'm not talking about what he has or hasn't done in the past. And he's not a terrible playoff performer - just not someone that elevates their game.

His past 4 postseasons have been pretty damn poor. Numbers typically dip for all players--especially guards--in the playoffs as physicality increases, and they're facing better defenses who have the time to legitimately scheme and adjust game to game, but Harden's career postseason dip is beyond that. Better (or, at least more prone to swallow their whistles) officials work playoff games as well, which obviously affects Harden more than most.

But I've always used the Peyton Manning comparison for Harden: one of the greatest regular season players I've ever seen, and, if you keep knocking at the door year after year (getting home court, playing in conference finals, etc.), there's a good chance that the eventually chips land in your favor, and you get in. Even if I don't exactly trust your mental makeup.

Shit, both LA teams have their seasons riding on the health of 3 oft-injured stars, and one dude who has to start showing his age at some point (right?). A bad break for them, and the championship would be wide open.

the number of players i would rather have than Harden is pretty damn high. off the top of the head:

LBJ

Kawhi

KD (healthy KD)

Freak

Steph

Jokic

Doncic

possibly even Dame 

Harden is a great all time player but he doesn't make anybody better and he sucks in the playoffs. sucks. i'd rather have someone who makes his teammates better and who doesn't shrink every June.

15 minutes ago, huge said:

Well, it was pretty fucking stupid to not count it.  Generally.  

But sure, how about not blowing that lead in the 4th.

Yes, it was a HORRIBLE missed call but they blew a 22 pt lead.    Thinking they should just be awarded the win or play the last 8 mins over is avoiding the actual issue.   If this was the first they (as an org) looked at someone else as reason for their failure it would be different.    It's seems to be the philosophy of the org to look at others as the reason when they lose.

6 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yes, it was a HORRIBLE missed call

Was it though? Even Harden went after the "rebound." It was nearly impossible to tell at full speed that the ball went all the way through the net. 

The egregious part of the call was not letting the Rockets review it, if they were indeed trying to. The refs say that time expired on the review window; the Rockets say that they were told it couldn't be reviewed. Not sure I particularly trust either one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Was it though? Even Harden went after the "rebound." It was nearly impossible to tell at full speed that the ball went all the way through the net. 

The egregious part of the call was not letting the Rockets review it, if they were indeed trying to. The refs say that time expired on the review window; the Rockets say that they were told it couldn't be reviewed. Not sure I particularly trust either one.

Yes, it was horrible for 3 refs to miss it.   Still, I agree there is no excuse for not reviewing it at the break like they do with goaltending calls.    There would be no impact on the flow of the game doing it that way.   

38 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You can't hear what MDA and Harden are saying to the refs, but I'm pretty sure asking for a review and protesting the call were included in that conversation. The idea that they can't go to replay to check a made basket is absolutely asinine. They check shooters feet against the 3 point line, and award points later in the game when it's determined the call was wrong, what's different about checking on a made bucket?  I have seen games where coming out of half time a team is awarded points for a final shot that was reviewed and corrected because the ball was let go prior to the buzzer. They fix shit all the time, but for some reason this basket wasn't reviewed or corrected. It doesn't matter if it would have effected the game's outcome, you have to have a mechanism to review plays like this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

You can't hear what MDA and Harden are saying to the refs, but I'm pretty sure asking for a review and protesting the call were included in that conversation. The idea that they can't go to replay to check a made basket is absolutely asinine. They check shooters feet against the 3 point line, and award points later in the game when it's determined the call was wrong, what's different about checking on a made bucket?  I have seen games where coming out of half time a team is awarded points for a final shot that was reviewed and corrected because the ball was let go prior to the buzzer. They fix shit all the time, but for some reason this basket wasn't reviewed or corrected. It doesn't matter if it would have effected the game's outcome, you have to have a mechanism to review plays like this. 

Affected

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Well he left the bench and came onto the court which usually nets a 1 game suspension.

Only during fight situations actually.   At worst it should be a T.   If it was actually enforced there would be about 23254873589468567 T's a night.