2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

After Melo's game winner tonight
81854018_3352467748105377_4255877218091139072_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=5LlSUvbza0IAX8YXLth&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.xx&_nc_tp=1&oh=8bf847500ba399da7cd44ed9d3aee3cb&oe=5EADB7DA
The last 20 seasons? Isn't that cutting out like 5 years of Kobe's career? Also, 16 sounds low for a guy that played for 20 years.

This sounds like one of those dumb baseball stats where they put unusual parameters to make some guy appear in elite company, because he wouldn't be considered relevant if the scope was normal.
  • Like 1

I almost posted something about that earlier, but didn't want to say something "anti-Harden" when, tonight excluded, he's been fucking amazing for the better part of a month.

But damn, Harden and Young combining for 83 points...on only 20 made baskets...with 64 shot attempts, 31 of them being 3's. I really, really hope that that's not the direction that basketball is heading. 

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I almost posted something about that earlier, but didn't want to say something "anti-Harden" when, tonight excluded, he's been fucking amazing for the better part of a month.

But damn, Harden and Young combining for 83 points...on only 20 made baskets...with 64 shot attempts, 31 of them being 3's. I really, really hope that that's not the direction that basketball is heading. 

Heading??   We've been here for a couple years at least.    On top of that now we have actual coaches saying post touches are too inefficient to even try.   It's not going to change anytime soon.   I am a hoops junkie but I'm also pretty old school so its hard to watch guys just chuck up shots like crazy

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Bone Slugs N Harmony.

Cleveland yo.

Beilien is cooked.    His explanation was complete bullshit and there is no coming back from that unless they are gonna dump the entire roster and start fresh.   There were already rumblings of him not being able to deal with pros well.   He's lost that room.     Will be interesting to see whether CLE will eat that contract only 35 games in.      Dan Gilbert had a stroke a while back and has not been seen since so I wonder if the GM has the authority to make the call.

15 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

OKC quietly putting together a solid season. With all those draft picks things look pretty good compared to the funeral when PG left...

This is the first time I've gotten the chance to watch them and you're right.  Much better than expected.  Granted, Golden State and San Antonio are down but OKC has a nice team.  Their model had always been 2-3 stars and 9 guys who had zero offensive skills but with this group, they're all shooters and Chris Paul can still play when healthy.

As for the future, SGA is really good.  They already got a haul with the trades but SGA might be the 2nd or 3rd best young player in the league.  He's 21 and averaging 20 and can score from most anywhere.  Very good player.  They can build around him with all of the draft picks over the next 10 years and have a great team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

hilarious. I think KD won that round...easily

Perkins calling Durant out for joining a championship ready team is hilarious, considering he did the same in 2015. Only difference is he didn’t contribute shit to the Cavs and they lost the Finals.

• Like 1

The league has changed so much the past 10 years, I'm not sure Perkins even makes the league today.  Good on defense and physical but no real offensive skills to speak of, even from inside five feet.  By his final few years in OKC he was starting to age fast.  I saw them up close in SA and he moved like a 57 year old.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The league has changed so much the past 10 years, I'm not sure Perkins even makes the league today.  Good on defense and physical but no real offensive skills to speak of, even from inside five feet.  By his final few years in OKC he was starting to age fast.  I saw them up close in SA and he moved like a 57 year old.

No matter how much the game changes, there will always be a spot for a defensive, physical big body. And if he played today, he'd be forced to work on his offensive game more than what he did in the past. As you said, the game was different and not as spread out on the floor and bigs playing the perimeter. 

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

No matter how much the game changes, there will always be a spot for a defensive, physical big body. And if he played today, he'd be forced to work on his offensive game more than what he did in the past. As you said, the game was different and not as spread out on the floor and bigs playing the perimeter. 

Not really.   His only real claim was a post defender.    With no one really posting up there is no real need for that skill set.    He wasnt a good lane presence.  He wasn't even a terribly great rebounder.    Wasn't a good scorer from the post and obviously not a scorer anywhere else.   He wasn't a great athlete or a smooth shooter.    He was barely useful in his "prime" he definitely wouldn't be useful in today's game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, d2o said:

Not really.   His only real claim was a post defender.    With no one really posting up there is no real need for that skill set.    He wasnt a good lane presence.  He wasn't even a terribly great rebounder.    Wasn't a good scorer from the post and obviously not a scorer anywhere else.   He wasn't a great athlete or a smooth shooter.    He was barely useful in his "prime" he definitely wouldn't be useful in today's game.

Yeah, this.  They played the Heat one night and they started Bosh at Center and the Heat were up by 20 in just a few minutes.  Perkins had such little offensive skills that he couldn't make you pay if you went small and there was no post to defend.  The only reason people guarded him was he was 5 feet from the basket.  To your point, he also wasn't very athletic.  I saw him play courtside in San Antonio once and I was surprised how old he moved and he was barely 30 at that point. 

Steven Adams is significantly better than Perkins ever was and it's not close.

On 1/10/2020 at 8:38 AM, Kermit said:

Kendrick needs to pick the battles where the other side can’t drop a nuclear weapon. 

Especially when you think about the fact that he (not Ibaka) was the reason they felt like they couldnt keep Harden.   If they amnesteid Perk they wouldn't have had to choose between Ibaka and Harden.

What the fuck is up with players being such little bitches when they transition into talking head positions?

The only reason that Perk lasted so long in OKC is because he and KD were buds, and management didn't want to upset their superstar.

Something obviously happened to fracture that friendship, but shut the fuck up about the man who kept you in the league for far longer than you deserved.

Going back to an earlier topic, the delusion is palpable in that Celtics' team...Perk, Peirce, KG, even Doc have a very loose grasp on reality, and it permeated throughout their careers and now after.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

What the fuck is up with players being such little bitches when they transition into talking head positions?

The only reason that Perk lasted so long in OKC is because he and KD were buds, and management didn't want to upset their superstar.

Something obviously happened to fracture that friendship, but shut the fuck up about the man who kept you in the league for far longer than you deserved.

Going back to an earlier topic, the delusion is palpable in that Celtics' team...Perk, Peirce, KG, even Doc have a very loose grasp on reality, and it permeated throughout their careers and now after.

The only thing Perk has to offer in media is his willingness to stir the pot.    Think about it.   He isn't some journalistic giant and he can barely fucking talk.   Drama is his claim to "fame".  

11 minutes ago, d2o said:

The only thing Perk has to offer in media is his willingness to stir the pot.    Think about it.   He isn't some journalistic giant and he can barely fucking talk.   Drama is his claim to "fame".  

For sure. He's got to make waves, or else what the fuck else is he good for?

Just kind of pathetic from a guy who the ONLY remaining positive thing that you could say about his playing career is that he was a great locker room guy and had his teammates' back no matter what.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Is there any more injury risk in that than playing in the Allstar game itself?

definitely, especially with the way today's all star game is played. if guys played 1-on-1 in front of the whole world they would be going as hard as possible, otherwise what's the point? it used to be that the ASG was 3 quarters of half assing and showing off, followed by one quarter of real ball. in today's ASG they just all get out of each other's way and see who can get to 200 first. way different from 1-on-1.

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

definitely, especially with the way today's all star game is played. if guys played 1-on-1 in front of the whole world they would be going as hard as possible, otherwise what's the point? it used to be that the ASG was 3 quarters of half assing and showing off, followed by one quarter of real ball. in today's ASG they just all get out of each other's way and see who can get to 200 first. way different from 1-on-1.

Rack him.  

27 minutes ago, d2o said:

Meh, that doesn't seem interesting to me.

I would be interested in Kawhi v. Lebron. Or KD against either one of them. I would be interested in Embiid v. Townes. Dame v. Kyrie. Luka v. Harden. I can't imagine a scenario where we would get these sort of matchups. No way those dudes would participate for either fear of injury or fear of getting embarrassed. I would also be down if they turned it into a freakshow like Boban v. Tacko. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 11:08 PM, aggie08 said:

There's no reason to hope. Basketball is already there. 

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I would be interested in Kawhi v. Lebron. Or KD against either one of them. I would be interested in Embiid v. Townes. Dame v. Kyrie. Luka v. Harden. I can't imagine a scenario where we would get these sort of matchups. No way those dudes would participate for either fear of injury or fear of getting embarrassed. I would also be down if they turned it into a freakshow like Boban v. Tacko. 

No doubt. Unless they have separate height brackets, Steph and Dame wouldn't want any part of getting backed all the way down and dunked on 11 times by LeBron (not that he'd participate anyway).

The only way to make it work would be to make it more fun and quicker (and less room for embarrassment).  Basically turn what they do at every Olympic team practice into a real competition: 1 on 1 with a line of guys rotating in, you stay on until you miss, new defender after every make.

14 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

There's no reason to hope. Basketball is already there. 

I guess to an extent. But every postseason we get a little breath of fresh air reminding everyone that, oh yeah, moving the ball and taking good shots--even if they're from 15 feet--actually matters, analytics be damned.  Golden State transformed themselves into the best mid-range team in the league. Toronto filled a team full of smart guys who always made the extra pass or the right basketball play.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Meh, that doesn't seem interesting to me.

Neither is the dunk contest. Shit has been stale for a long ass time now. 3pt contest is still cool at times, though.

I mean 1 on 1 is what every single person who has ever played ball on a local court or their driveway can relate to. It would be fascinating. No help defense. No picks being set. It would be something new if nothing else. 1 on 1 is how everyone built their games from a young age. And where a lot of bragging rights start.