2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

Nuggets played down to their competition again tonight - losing to the Pacers in a 4th quarter swoon. McDermott and Pacers were hot from outside. And Plumlee missed some key FT's down the stretch, which doomed any chance at winning the game. 

Nuggets have been missing 3 out of their 5 starters to injury, but still should have won this one. Michael Porter, Jr. is coming on strong. Great bench play, as expected for the Nuggets. They just don't have the killer instinct - yet. Still a great start to the season for the Nuggets (and the West in general). 

Sabonis is so much better than his dad ever was (in the NBA), which is so exciting. He was instrumental in that win, and has been huge for the Pacers with Dipo out all year. 22 points, 15 boards (8 OREB!), and 10 assists in the win tonight. He's easily one of, if not *the* most slept on players in the league. 

31 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Sabonis is so much better than his dad ever was (in the NBA), which is so exciting. He was instrumental in that win, and has been huge for the Pacers with Dipo out all year. 22 points, 15 boards (8 OREB!), and 10 assists in the win tonight. He's easily one of, if not *the* most slept on players in the league. 

Do you intentionally just say stupid  shit all the time?

13 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Team effort by the Pacers no doubt, but the Nuggets had the game in hand and then failed to tightly guard against the 3's. McDermott got a hot hand and then Plumlee missed three out of four free throws. The Nuggets gave the game away - again - to an inferior team. That is the story of most Denver losses. They beat good teams and lose to inferior ones. Still a very young team. 

That sucks for Chandler Parsons. Hope the guy is ok.

But that dude has appeared in 440 career NBA games over 9 seasons and only 100 games over the past 4 seasons while pocketing $127 million in total earnings. For all intents, his career was already over. I can't imagine what kind of lost wages argument that ambulance chaser is going to make on his behalf. He hasn't been able to stay healthy and he's been arguably the most overpaid player in the league ever since Dallas signed him to that terrible contract.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

dame woke up.  gonna need numbers like that to consistently win. portland has dropped from last year. 

Nurkic is supposed to come back around the ASB. Will be interesting to see how he and Whiteside play together. If they can figure it out then Nurkic could be a pretty good addition, even if it's more likely that he isn't fully back until next season. 

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Nurkic is supposed to come back around the ASB. Will be interesting to see how he and Whiteside play together. If they can figure it out then Nurkic could be a pretty good addition, even if it's more likely that he isn't fully back until next season. 

Agree - he is a big piece of that puzzle missing. They will get better with him. Whiteside is a blessing and a curse. Maybe Nurkic can make him feel the need to do a little less. They were a good team last year. I thought OKC would drop below them. I was completely wrong. 

Rockets season going about like I thought it would.  Westbrook generally plays well early but as the season drags, gets blinders and his shooting % starts to fade.  Harden is still jacking up three's all over the place and playing no defense.  His % typically fades in the playoffs as well.  Morey talked up analytics but ended up with the worst analytic roster with two top heavy stars.  They obviously would have been better off keeping Paul but both sides hated each other so there's that.

Now, they're stuck with Westbrook's horrible contract, which is some ways worse than Paul's horrible contract because it's one year longer.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

And people still get fascinated when he scores a bunch of points lmao. 

beyond that, there are still people who ask if he's the best offensive player ever. fucking ridiculous. MJ, Bird, Magic, KD, LeBron, Steph, all obviously better than Harden, particularly come playoff time. 

https://theathletic.com/1550507/2020/01/21/charania-those-closest-to-delonte-west-say-theyve-been-trying-to-help-him-but-that-ultimately-more-needs-to-be-done/

Longtime confidants of former NBA guard Delonte West have wanted nothing but the best for their friend. That’s why they were horrified and shaken this week to see video on social media of him being kicked and punched while sprawled shirtless on a Maryland highway.

“Really sad,” one of West’s longtime confidants said. “Your heart breaks for him.”

“We all love Delonte, and we don’t want to see him like this,” offered another. “We want him to figure his life out.”

The Prince George County Police Department said Tuesday that West and the other man in the video are believed to know each other  — adding that both refused to press charges and refused to cooperate with detectives. The police department said it is conducting an internal investigation because the video of West in handcuffs was recorded by one of its officers. That officer has been suspended indefinitely.

Spoiler

Throughout West’s NBA career, the spotlight was placed on his mental health. He said in 2008 that he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. In 2010 he pled guilty to two weapons charges and was sentenced to eight months of home electronic monitoring along with 40 hours of community service. West told Slam Magazine in July 2013: “Before that, coaches and GMs, they said I was a tough, scrappy player. They wanted to go war with me on their side. Everything after that incident became, ‘did he take his medicine?’ Oh, ‘he’s bipolar.’”

In West’s eight NBA seasons, he played for Boston, Seattle, Cleveland and Dallas, spending time alongside LeBron James on the Cavaliers from 2007 to 2010. He played his last game in 2012, while with the Mavericks. He went through training camp with Dallas in 2012-13 before being waived prior to the regular season. West never made it back onto a regular-season roster, spending two separate seasons with the Mavericks G League affiliate in Texas (2012-13, 2014-15) and playing for the LA Clippers in the 2014 NBA Summer League. He also spent parts of the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons in the Chinese Basketball Association.

Professional basketball allowed West to have structure in his life, to have a level of stability. According to those close to him, that has gone by the wayside since he exited the NBA. 

West, 36, has most recently worked in construction with his brother, Dmitri, and has struggled to find consistent work, one person close to the former player said. He lives in Maryland with his mother, Delphina Addison.

Former teammate Jameer Nelson is one of many people who have witnessed West’s post-career distress and offered help. The National Basketball Players Association has maintained close contact with West and made itself available as a resource. His college coach at Saint Joseph, Phil Martelli, and West’s former player agent, Noah Croom, have been in communication with each other — and West — about providing him support. The same can be said for the Celtics and Mavericks. Both Boston GM Danny Ainge and Dallas owner Mark Cuban have been in direct contact at various points, according to those close to West.  They all want him to find his place in life, and they want to be a helping hand when needed.

The NBPA helped facilitate his residence change from Dallas to Maryland in recent years and extensively supported him financially, as recently as this month, according to sources. Ainge and the Celtics have given him a scouting job to scout games in the D.C. and East Coast area, sources said, but West has had mixed results due to fluctuating attendance. His close friends and family have all stepped in whenever they could.

But one thing has been made abundantly clear. This is about far more than money. This is about bringing him proper professional assistance. 

Nelson released a long statement on social media Monday night. It read:

“I’m sick today my stomach right now seeing the videos of Delonte. To answer everybody that’s reaching out to me about his situation… all we can do is pray for Him and his family and hope that he seeks the proper help. Mental illness is something that a lot of people deal with and don’t even know it, until sometimes it’s too late. I’m not sure what exactly is going on with Dwest but he knows I’m in his corner and will help him get through this. Yes, I’ve spoken to him Over the past several months, just trying to be there as a friend. One thing I do know Is. if you’re having mental, emotional or physical setbacks in life you need to talk to somebody. And when I say talk to somebody. I mean, like a doctor or doctors. Not your parents, homeboy, wife, cousins etc. somebody that has credentials in helping people for what you’re going through. And please be mindful, when you posting videos or pictures of somebody. You may think you’re helping but you might be hurting them even more. People have kids and their kids don’t deserve to be embarrassed. Please Pray!”

From West’s former teammates and coaches to team officials, all have run into the same issue over and over with him. A trip for him to seek help is scheduled and booked, West agrees upon it, and then he cancels. “He has to want to be helped,” said one person directly involved in setting him up with assistance. One of his former teams, according to a person, tried “too many times to count.”

Yet, Monday’s incident was a reminder that they have to remain vigilant.

“This has the potential to end very badly,” his close confidant said, “and we have to help.”

6 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Despite trading away Westbrook and PG, OKC's record is basically the same as it was last year:

2019 -- 28-18

2020 -- 25-19

And have you watched some of their games?  They're so much more enjoyable to watch.  And all those draft picks.  Presti is a top 5 GM, no doubt. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

And have you watched some of their games?  They're so much more enjoyable to watch.  And all those draft picks.  Presti is a top 5 GM, no doubt. 

Watched the Houston game a few weeks ago and you're right, much more enjoyable.  Lots of ball movement, wide open shots, shooters everywhere, etc.  Bag on Presti if you want but he went through Harden, Ibaka, Durant, and Westbrook and ended up with what they have now, including the draft picks.  

On 1/21/2020 at 7:19 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

You nailed it. I go to a lot of the Thunder home games and this team is fun to watch. Love Gallinari, Paul and Schröder. Curious if and when the hammer falls on the trade deadline.

What’s so frustrating about this stupid city is how hard it is to get people to go to the games now. ‘I just can’t get into the team this year’ is the common theme I hear. Quite a few empty seats as opposed to the Westbrook/Durant years. Unfortunate as this team is a hoot to watch. 

On 1/21/2020 at 5:29 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

So is aggy stuffing the ballot box for Alex Caruso, or what’s going on there?

It's a Laker thing. The Lakers are a cancer in the NBA. Laker fans are there for the hype.

Caruso against Boston in a 32 point loss - 1 point in 17 minutes on 0-5 shooting.

F the Lakers.

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m still absorbing the nets’ court, but my attention is really on what is on the Nets’ jersey. Help me @Goo Punch  what does it mean?

Bed-Stuy:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford–Stuyvesant,_Brooklyn

and yeah, that court is jarring and takes some getting used to.