2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

seriously though, how is a guy 1st in the NBA in rebounds, 1st in double doubles, 2nd in steals, top 10 in blocks, and averaging 18 ppg not an All Star? But Khris Middleton and Jayson Tatum are? Just laughable. 

Middleton is doing 50/40/90, maybe that’s his ticket
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, huge said:

he's very impressive, and i honestly never saw him being an All Star coming out of A&M, so i'm definitely impressed with the guy and the niche he has found for himself, but let's be honest: he's not even a legit no.2. no team with KM as it's no.2 player can win a title, at least not in the sense of a team having a 1-2 punch. if the Freak leads this team to a title it won't be because KM was his no.2. Middleton is a fine shooter/scorer, but Drummond's overall impact on both sides of floor dwarfs KM's, imo. of course one plays for the no.1 team and the other plays for a trash team (now even trashier), so them's the breaks. 

53 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Really excited to see more of the Rockets small ball experiment. I think it certainly helps create space for RW. 

if James Harden could actually get hot (while acknowledging that this dude generally can't even get lukewarm in the playoffs) for an antitrust playoff series then the Rockets could actually make some noise. it won't happen (i don't think), but if it did it would make the early rounds much more interesting. 

Look. This rockets team is the most dangerous joke of a team I can remember.

I assume the Lakers are trying hard in this game and are losing to small ball.

I would never back this in a playoff series but they are just dumb enough to be dangerous.

6 hours ago, huge said:

Yeah, last yr the Middleton doubt was warranted.   This yr its not.  20/6/4 on 51/43/90 on a team that is on pace to win 70 is worthy of being an all-star.   He just happens to play with a monster so the gap between the team's #1 and #2 is fucking massive.

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

he's very impressive, and i honestly never saw him being an All Star coming out of A&M, so i'm definitely impressed with the guy and the niche he has found for himself, but let's be honest: he's not even a legit no.2. no team with KM as it's no.2 player can win a title, at least not in the sense of a team having a 1-2 punch. if the Freak leads this team to a title it won't be because KM was his no.2. Middleton is a fine shooter/scorer, but Drummond's overall impact on both sides of floor dwarfs KM's, imo. of course one plays for the no.1 team and the other plays for a trash team (now even trashier), so them's the breaks. 

Yeah, I disagree about Middleton but MUCH more about Drummond's impact.    I'm from Detroit and talk to friends and family there every single day.   He puts up great numbers but they have NO IMPACT on the team success which is part of the reason that a) he was just traded and b) they couldn't get anything for him.   Some of that is the team just plain sucks but he has been in DET for 7 yrs now and they've made the playoffs as an 8 seed twice only to get swept.   You mention Middleton not being a legit #2, Drummond is basically a #3.   If he is your #1 or #2 your team is doomed.

13 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Yeah. Portland just got jobbed by a horrendous missed goaltend.

NBA challenge rules are dumb. You can’t challenge a missed call? 

That was an awful non-call. When Woj is complaining - you know it’s bad.

Chippy game.

The West is going to have a great second half of the season. If the refs can stay out of the way . . .

15 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Yeah. Portland just got jobbed by a horrendous missed goaltend.

NBA challenge rules are dumb. You can’t challenge a missed call? 

It's sort of dumb, but it's also just practical. If there is no call then there is no stoppage of play. If there is no stoppage of play there is no potential for review. The alternative is to give coaches the chance to stop time even without possession to challenge or to have refs call everything and then review it to see if they got it right. Refs are going to fuck up. Welcome to life.

On 2/8/2020 at 3:37 PM, Llogg said:

It's sort of dumb, but it's also just practical. If there is no call then there is no stoppage of play. If there is no stoppage of play there is no potential for review. The alternative is to give coaches the chance to stop time even without possession to challenge or to have refs call everything and then review it to see if they got it right. Refs are going to fuck up. Welcome to life.

Don't they check the replay at the next dead ball for certain things like if a players foot was behind the 3 point line? They could do the same thing here.  At the next dead ball award the points or not.  The only difference would be a throw in from out of bounds vs a rebound.

They're Memphis. Of course they were going to jump at acquiring Justice Winslow and James Johnson--two extremely limited hard-nosed defenders--even if it meant having to pay Doin Waiters to not play basketball. They're run by some dumb fucks, is what I'm saying.

9 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Don't they check the replay at the next dead ball for certain things like if a players foot was behind the 3 point line? They could do the same thing here.  At the next dead ball award the points or not.  The only difference would be a throw in from out of bounds vs a rebound.

This was my point. I just don’t really understand why they can’t. You would just be adding the points. It wouldn’t change anything about the game

10 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

The issues are not analogous. Difference between 2 and 3 points does not change the flow of the game. Difference between made basket or not is the difference between live ball and dead ball out of bounds.

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

This was my point. I just don’t really understand why they can’t. You would just be adding the points. It wouldn’t change anything about the game

Imagine there's goal tending but offense recovers the rebound. No call for goaltending so they swing it around and hit a 3. On replay do they get the original 2 for the goaltending and wipe away the 3?

53 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Imagine there's goal tending but offense recovers the rebound. No call for goaltending so they swing it around and hit a 3. On replay do they get the original 2 for the goaltending and wipe away the 3?

then in that case it should be deemed "advantage played", something i was imploring the league to adopt for years back on TOS, and something that they have sort of already implemented with the ability to "play advantage" before calling a technical foul on someone. 

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

I think you call the goaltend and take away the three. Goaltending is a dead ball so if it should be as simple as reviewing as soon as there as any stoppage.

52 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I think you call the goaltend and take away the three. Goaltending is a dead ball so if it should be as simple as reviewing as soon as there as any stoppage.

I just fundamentally disagree. If play continues without stoppage there is no way that a review can be equitable and fair. How many possessions might pass without a stoppage before you say a play is no longer reviewable? Why stop at goal tending. Have every play reviewed after the final buzzer and tally up the corrections to determine the actual winner. It's absurd. Refs are going to fuck up. They should be instructed to blow the whistle for anything close and allow for review to happen. But you can't just have a review at an arbitrary later point in the game.

5 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Does anybody take a flier on IT if they can get him for the vet minimum? Spurs or Blazers might make a little sense as both are desperate to get into that 8th seed. Not sure who he's an upgrade over for either team though. Miami?

Spurs don't need another small guard.... already have enough dudes who can't play D.  Not sure where he'd fit with the Blazers.

15 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

lol that was awesome.

next game we'll make 5-38 and lose to @ toronto by 22

Minne appears to be back. Congrats. Good trade - the Nuggets are very deep after Jokic. He is so good because the guys around him know his vision on the court. Jokic is one hell of a passer as a point-center.

Beasley and Jokic had good chemistry. Hernangomez is a legit big man with scoring ability - who clicked well with Jokic. I think Townes is going to love playing with those guys - they will make him better (and he make them better). Beasley and Hernangomez were only the sidelights of the big trade. 

That was a big win against the Clips. Defines the team now. That is offensive output that can be produced - til the end of the season. Minne led most of the 1st Quarter and then put the pedal to the metal. That was an onslaught.

On 2/6/2020 at 11:13 PM, hobbes2702 said:

Really excited to see more of the Rockets small ball experiment. I think it certainly helps create space for RW. 

It has.   He also looks to have gotten back to his mid range pull up.   Given up shooting as many threes and going hard to the basket again.   I dont really like the small ball thing but its interesting because the two games I watched (Jazz, Lakers) they both rushed/forced entry passes into the post and/or post shots.   Its like both felt like they HAD to go to the post to try and take advantage of the mismatch.    I suspect in a playoff series teams will have more patience and planning to go at them.

17 hours ago, aggie08 said:

They're Memphis. Of course they were going to jump at acquiring Justice Winslow and James Johnson--two extremely limited hard-nosed defenders--even if it meant having to pay Doin Waiters to not play basketball. They're run by some dumb fucks, is what I'm saying.

So, apparently I'm the dumb fuck for not reading far enough down to see that Memphis immediately swapped Johnson for something called a Gorgui Dieng who seems...perfectly serviceable.

Retract what I said: Winslow, Dieng, and a 1st from Golden State that won't be in the lottery is well worth paying Andre Iguodala and Dion Waiters over $30M to not play basketball for them.

6 hours ago, d2o said:

It has.   He also looks to have gotten back to his mid range pull up.   Given up shooting as many threes and going hard to the basket again.   I dont really like the small ball thing but its interesting because the two games I watched (Jazz, Lakers) they both rushed/forced entry passes into the post and/or post shots.   Its like both felt like they HAD to go to the post to try and take advantage of the mismatch.    I suspect in a playoff series teams will have more patience and planning to go at them.

Yeah, fuck it, I like what Houston is doing. It's probably D'Antoni's last year, so why not take this small ball, iso, jacking 3's (except Russ), analytics-driven approach to its extreme and see if they can introduce enough variance to upset some better built teams.

That said, even Golden State's much better Death/Hampton 5 lineups were used sparingly in the regular season, and they played minute suckers like Bogut and Zaza deep into the playoffs to limit the toll on Dray and KD/Barnes. For a Houston franchise that likes to use the, "We were burnt out" excuse to explain playoff oustings, February is probably a bit early to start this experiment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, fuck it, I like what Houston is doing. It's probably D'Antoni's last year, so why not take this small ball, iso, jacking 3's (except Russ), analytics-driven approach to its extreme and see if they can introduce enough variance to upset some better built teams.

That said, even Golden State's much better Death/Hampton 5 lineups were used sparingly in the regular season, and they played minute suckers like Bogut and Zaza deep into the playoffs to limit the toll on Dray and KD/Barnes. For a Houston franchise that likes to use the, "We were burnt out" excuse to explain playoff oustings, February is probably a bit early to start this experiment.

The small ball Dubs lineups were def better overall but they didn’t have anyone who could defend the post as well as PJ Tucker despite his size. Not saying that means it shouldn’t still be used sparingly just pointing out a slight difference. 
And on that note the Rockets certainly don’t have a rim protector like KD which to me is the bigger problem than having a good undersized post defender 

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

The small ball Dubs lineups were def better overall but they didn’t have anyone who could defend the post as well as PJ Tucker despite his size. Not saying that means it shouldn’t still be used sparingly just pointing out a slight difference. 
And on that note the Rockets certainly don’t have a rim protector like KD which to me is the bigger problem than having a good undersized post defender 

I know Dray has slipped a fair amount and everyone loves PJ here, but Dray was the best, most impactful defender in the NBA for about a 4-year period. GS was the best defense in the league with him playing center when they locked in. Yeah, he played a lot of free safety, but that was only when the other team didn't have an AD to contend with. Dray was always among the league leaders in FG% allowed at the rim and had no problem banging bodies down there. At worst, it's a toss-up if we're strictly talking post defense.

Not that it matters much since AD really is about the only player in the league on a contending team that could potentially be too much to handle in the post. I'm not worried about them getting roasted down low in today's NBA; I was speaking just in terms of overall fatigue. Though, rebounding will be a problem.

• Like 4

“As a direct and proximate result of Defendants’ conduct, Plaintiff ALAN STRICKLAND suffered injury to his head, body, health, strength, nervous system, and person, all of which caused and continue to cause Plaintiff great mental, physical, emotional and psychological pain and suffering,” Strickland stated.

2 hours ago, d2o said:

“As a direct and proximate result of Defendants’ conduct, Plaintiff ALAN STRICKLAND suffered injury to his head, body, health, strength, nervous system, and person, all of which caused and continue to cause Plaintiff great mental, physical, emotional and psychological pain and suffering,” Strickland stated.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure he did. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I know Dray has slipped a fair amount and everyone loves PJ here, but Dray was the best, most impactful defender in the NBA for about a 4-year period. GS was the best defense in the league with him playing center when they locked in. Yeah, he played a lot of free safety, but that was only when the other team didn't have an AD to contend with. Dray was always among the league leaders in FG% allowed at the rim and had no problem banging bodies down there. At worst, it's a toss-up if we're strictly talking post defense.

Not that it matters much since AD really is about the only player in the league on a contending team that could potentially be too much to handle in the post. I'm not worried about them getting roasted down low in today's NBA; I was speaking just in terms of overall fatigue. Though, rebounding will be a problem.

Wow I’m fucking dumb. You’re right. How did I completely forget that Dray was the center. 

Delete thread. Ban user.

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Wow I’m fucking dumb. You’re right. How did I completely forget that Dray was the center. 

Delete thread. Ban user.

I don't blame anyone for forgetting that Draymond Green is a Golden State Warrior being paid $25M/yr with how this season has gone.

2 hours ago, d2o said:

Imagine being a big enough bitch to pursue this immediately after two consecutive games where the livelihoods of two prominent players was actually threatened in the most disheartening ways possible.