2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

*dumb question amnesty  

Why does the NBA have the trade deadline before the All Star break?  Seems early as shit. 

It used to be after the break. Then, DeMarcus Cousins got traded during the break during an All-Star weekend hosted by New Orleans, and they realized that that wasn't a great look.

6 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

*dumb question amnesty  

Why does the NBA have the trade deadline before the All Star break?  Seems early as shit. 

Its not really that early.   We are about 2/3 through the season.  Most teams only have about 25 games left.    People always think of the AS break as the halfway point but it not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

i don't mind that they moved it up, but i wish it was the last thursday before the all star break and not the week prior.

I think they wanna keep the AS break as a fun celebration.    If the deadline is the day before the break starts all the news for much of the break would be trade talk/analysis.   It would take away from the festivities.

LeBron and Ad both *clearly* goal tend a Caletics shot, and the refs call it correctly. LeBron does his normal arguing and gesticulating, the refs stop the game, change their mind, and call it a jump ball. These are the things that make me dislike LeBron. again, overall i love the guy, but the way he whines for calls and then gets them is weak as shit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Here we go with this again.

I mean, did you see the Eastern Conference All-Star team as selected before Bron and Giannis chose their teams?  Gross.  That will change a little (hopefully) with a healthy KD and Kyrie and Bradley Beal not getting fucked, but the gap in talent for the better part of 20 years has been undeniable.

That said, Milwaukee is legit good.  The end of the All-Star game was a bit concerning when, with faced with a legit defense, Team Giannis seemed to try to run their offense through everyone not actually named Giannis.  Can he be a "here's the ball; we need a bucket" guy late in playoff games?  And I worry about any team in late May and June that has Khris Middleton as their 2nd best player.  Toronto won last year with a big drop between their best and 2nd best player, but Siakam > Middleton.  But, like last year, it stands to reason that the East representative will be less beat up than whichever LA team survives the West.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I mean, did you see the Eastern Conference All-Star team as selected before Bron and Giannis chose their teams?  Gross.  That will change a little (hopefully) with a healthy KD and Kyrie and Bradley Beal not getting fucked, but the gap in talent for the better part of 20 years has been undeniable.

That said, Milwaukee is legit good.  The end of the All-Star game was a bit concerning when, with faced with a legit defense, Team Giannis seemed to try to run their offense through everyone not actually named Giannis.  Can he be a "here's the ball; we need a bucket" guy late in playoff games?  And I worry about any team in late May and June that has Khris Middleton as their 2nd best player.  Toronto won last year with a big drop between their best and 2nd best player, but Siakam > Middleton.  But, like last year, it stands to reason that the East representative will be less beat up than whichever LA team survives the West.

The ASG roster means shit to me.   I'm just tired of people acting like a team that is 48-8 is somehow not that good because they play in the east..  The Bucks are 18-4 against the west.  Conversely, The Lakers are 14-6 and the Nuggets are 13-8 against the east.

The problem with using the last quarter of that game as an example of Giannis in late games is that the roster is not built around Giannis like his Bucks roster is.    The defense was able to treat him totally differently than the Bucks' opponents will in the playoffs.    Additionally, outside of the Clips the teams they will face will not have multiple all-defense guys on the floor or 5 of the top 25 overall.

The knocking of Khris Middleton is interesting to me.   He is only the 5th player in league history to avg 20ppg+ on 50/40/90 shooting and he is actually playing less than 30 mins/gm.   The others are Dirk, Steph, KD and Bird yet there are people out here talking about him like he was not even deserving of being an all-star!!    I get that he isn't as good as Giannis so he gets overshadowed quite a bit but he is more than capable of being a #2.   He is having  a great year.

13 minutes ago, d2o said:

The knocking of Khris Middleton is interesting to me.   He is only the 5th player in league history to avg 20ppg+ on 50/40/90 shooting and he is actually playing less than 30 mins/gm.   The others are Dirk, Steph, KD and Bird yet there are people out here talking about him like he was not even deserving of being an all-star!!    I get that he isn't as good as Giannis so he gets overshadowed quite a bit but he is more than capable of being a #2.   He is having  a great year.

Surely you'll allow that there's a sizable difference from "capable of being a #2" on a really good regular season team and capable of being a #2 on a Championship-winning team.  Especially in an NBA that has embraced the multiple superstar team-up.  I like Middleton...he's a middle-class man's Klay, but he can actually pass and rebound...he's just not in AD or Paul George's zip code.  My concerns aside, I still have no problem with them being among the trio of heavy favorites for this year's title.  In part because of their easier path to the Finals, but also because they have the best chemistry in the league.

50 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Surely you'll allow that there's a sizable difference from "capable of being a #2" on a really good regular season team and capable of being a #2 on a Championship-winning team.  Especially in an NBA that has embraced the multiple superstar team-up.  I like Middleton...he's a middle-class man's Klay, but he can actually pass and rebound...he's just not in AD or Paul George's zip code.  My concerns aside, I still have no problem with them being among the trio of heavy favorites for this year's title.  In part because of their easier path to the Finals, but also because they have the best chemistry in the league.

His avgs are almost identical to PG's except he shoots 5-8% better from all levels than the vaunted "Playoff P"

Edited by d2o

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Isn’t Middletons knock that he disappears big time in the moment?

Meh, don't know if he's had a big time moment yet honestly.    He didn't play well in the playoffs last yr but has in previous playoffs.

6 hours ago, d2o said:

The ASG roster means shit to me.   I'm just tired of people acting like a team that is 48-8 is somehow not that good because they play in the east..  The Bucks are 18-4 against the west.  Conversely, The Lakers are 14-6 and the Nuggets are 13-8 against the east.

The problem with using the last quarter of that game as an example of Giannis in late games is that the roster is not built around Giannis like his Bucks roster is.    The defense was able to treat him totally differently than the Bucks' opponents will in the playoffs.    Additionally, outside of the Clips the teams they will face will not have multiple all-defense guys on the floor or 5 of the top 25 overall.

Eastern conference, bro. They're not that good ..