2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

This Bucks team is really special. I'm going to be disappointed if they don't at least make the Finals. 

they have the 8th beat defense of all time. barring the whole team going cold for an entire series, they will be in the Finals. teams will try to force them to shoot jumpers to win,  it it won't matter. they have enough shooters around Giannis + a seriously great defense; they will represent the East in the Finals. 

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

This Bucks team is really special. I'm going to be disappointed if they don't at least make the Finals. 

The Clips with their multiple All-defense level players and possibly the Lakers are the only teams that I can see giving them trouble in a series

23 minutes ago, satyanash said:

For those of you who watch more games than I do, does Giannis have a good shot to win both MVP and DPoY this season? Or is Gobert probably going to win the latter again?

he's not going to win both, and he may not win either one. LeBron is going to make a major surge in MVP contention from here on out, and for whatever reason the voters just don't like to give it to the same guy two years in a row. hes also not going to win DPOY (imo). His steals and blocks are down, and there are other guys having monster years who are going to win more votes than Giannis. 

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

For those of you who watch more games than I do, does Giannis have a good shot to win both MVP and DPoY this season? Or is Gobert probably going to win the latter again?

He should be the run away winner as long as they get close to 70 wins.    While LBJ is having a great season, I'm really not understanding how there is now this push to make this closer than it really is.

He won't win DPOY.   He could be in the conversation but definitely not the front runner.

Edited by d2o
  • Like 1

Rudy Gobert being a 3x DPOY in today's NBA just seems excessive to me. Every postseason, when teams start exploiting matchups, it seems like every guard that can run a decent PnR starts picking on him. It's not necessarily his fault that a 7 footer is obviously at a disadvantage guarding a point guard in open space, but ain't nobody "picking on" Giannis.

Then again, I have to remind myself that these are regular season awards, and he brings it every night, while guys like Kawhi and PG are in load management mode, and Draymond is giving himself the year off.

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Rudy Gobert being a 3x DPOY in today's NBA just seems excessive to me. Every postseason, when teams start exploiting matchups, it seems like every guard that can run a decent PnR starts picking on him. It's not necessarily his fault that a 7 footer is obviously at a disadvantage guarding a point guard in open space, but ain't nobody "picking on" Giannis.

Then again, I have to remind myself that these are regular season awards, and he brings it every night, while guys like Kawhi and PG are in load management mode, and Draymond is giving himself the year off.

The Bucks having a historic defense is a plus for Giannis however Brook Lopez has been amazing defensively this yr and could take away some votes.     There is also AD who is having a great defensive season too.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

he's not going to win both, and he may not win either one. LeBron is going to make a major surge in MVP contention from here on out, and for whatever reason the voters just don't like to give it to the same guy two years in a row. hes also not going to win DPOY (imo). His steals and blocks are down, and there are other guys having monster years who are going to win more votes than Giannis. 

I dunno about that. Their defense is all time level good right now and he is the clear reason for that.

That said I think AD prolly wins DPOY but Giannis will win MVP. His numbers are up and his team is gonna win 70 games

Edited by hobbes2702

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I dunno about that. Their defense is all time level good right now and he is the clear reason for that.

That said I think AD prolly wins DPOY but Giannis will win MVP. His numbers are up and his team is gonna win 70 games

i think AD and Bron win DPOY and MVP respectively. 

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Honestly, I had assumed that Giannis was the runaway favourite for MVP this year. His numbers have been tremendous (30pts/14reb/6ast on 55/31/63 shooting splits, playing just 31 minutes per game!) plus the Bucks are 53-9. In any other year that'd be a slam dunk.

It'd be like that one idiot who voted for Carmelo Anthony as MVP over LeBron in 2013.

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Giannis already has the MVP locked up

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, d2o said:

There's a puzzling one. So they're blaming the coach that they aren't as good as they were last year when he hasn't had Russell, KD, or a healthy Kyrie?

Either KD and/or Kyrie don't really like him, or the organization is supremely confident that their star power will draw a big name coach (who I have no idea), and wanted to get a head start.

Edited by aggie08

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

There's a puzzling one. So they're blaming the coach that they aren't as good as they were last year when he hasn't had Russell, KD, or a healthy Kyrie?

Either KD and/or Kyrie don't really like him, or the organization is supremely confident that their star power will draw a big name coach (who I have no idea), and wanted to get a head start.

This seems like the most likely thing and they told him he wasn't going to be kept next yr.   He prolly said, "fuck it, I may as well be out now then"

Not many other explanations make sense outside of some personal issue that Atkinson is going through.    Its not a good look at all for an org that has a shitty history to treat a guy that has been nothing but great for them this way.   He exceeded expectations in EVERY way over the last couple years.

I doubt he'll have any trouble getting a job next year if he wants it. Not sure who is going to be looking though. Maybe the Spurs if Pop retires? Feels like they'd be more interested in hiring from within the coaching tree, though.

Edited by Llogg

8 minutes ago, d2o said:

I know Woj is always nails, but I can't understand a coach having the sentiment that he's run his course with the organization before coaching a single game with the two superstars that he helped usher in.

If it was the Nets pushing the "inevitability", then I hope that it works out as well as it has for the Kings firing the coach that dragged them out of the gutter. 

16 hours ago, d2o said:

He should be the run away winner as long as they get close to 70 wins.    While LBJ is having a great season, I'm really not understanding how there is now this push to make this closer than it really is.

Because it's LBJ in LA.  And yes it *should* be Giannis by a Greek mile

30 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I know Woj is always nails, but I can't understand a coach having the sentiment that he's run his course with the organization before coaching a single game with the two superstars that he helped usher in.

If it was the Nets pushing the "inevitability", then I hope that it works out as well as it has for the Kings firing the coach that dragged them out of the gutter. 

When were the Kings out of the gutter?

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

When were the Kings out of the gutter?

Joeger had them playing better and looking like the young collection of good upcoming players that they should be.    Just like Atkinson did with the Nets

14 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Because it's LBJ in LA.  And yes it *should* be Giannis by a Greek mile

Yes, but the media has done just about everything to discount deserving LBJ seasons in the past.  Now they are pushing him as a overlooked when they have overlooked him for years!!!

8 minutes ago, d2o said:

Joeger had them playing better and looking like the young collection of good upcoming players that they should be.    Just like Atkinson did with the Nets

Ok, I guess.  Gotta grab the 8 seed before I consider you officially out of the gutter.

16 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yes, but the media has done just about everything to discount deserving LBJ seasons in the past.  Now they are pushing him as a overlooked when they have overlooked him for years!!!

Meh, other than the Derrick Rose year, I can't think of a single time that LeBron should have won the MVP but didn't.

Giannis per 36 minutes is averaging 34.5 points, 16 rebounds, 6.7 assists, 1.2 steals, 1.2 blocks, 4.3 turnovers (a bit high but not criminal). On 54.7% shooting from the floor. And his team is going to win 65-67 games. 

I'm not sure LeBron is even the best player on his team. He's certainly not the best defender. 

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Giannis per 36 minutes is averaging 34.5 points, 16 rebounds, 6.7 assists, 1.2 steals, 1.2 blocks, 4.3 turnovers (a bit high but not criminal). On 54.7% shooting from the floor. And his team is going to win 65-67 games. 

I'm not sure LeBron is even the best player on his team. He's certainly not the best defender. 

Lebron isn't the best player on his team? Lmao. Wut?

Remember, all the haters said Lebron had it made in the East and that's why he was the way he was. Now he's the 1 seed in the West.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lebron isn't the best player on his team? Lmao. Wut?

Remember, all the haters said Lebron had it made in the East and that's why he was the way he was. Now he's the 1 seed in the West.

The Lakers missed the playoffs last year. Now, with AD, they are the 1 seed. I'm not sure why that would say more about LeBron.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Kenny was one of the main reasons KD was attracted to Brooklyn in the first place. And Kyrie was a fan of Kenny too: