2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

Any organization that bends it will to, what, like the 16th best player in the league (?) deserves to be laughed at. And that's without even taking into account all of his enigmatic tendencies.

Its pathetic.

Brooklyn’s at 28 wins(~20 or so to play)and had 42 last yr.

Boston has 42 and and had 49 last yr. Boston should improve by at least 5-8 wins from last year. Brooklyn’s probably going to fall short by 5 wins of last years total. Doesn’t help that Kyrie and KD take up 65% of the payroll...but have you seen Kyrie dribble the ball?

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

Looks like LeBron will get his chance to snatch the MVP after all.

Lebron is having a great season, but it's hard watching him on offense. He just runs right through people and most of the times throws elbows to get separation when he needs it. 

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Duncan Robinson is Young Klay Thompson:

D Rob last three games 

9-12

8-14

7-11

total:

24-37 (65%), 8.5 3PM per game

dude is crazy from deep

In the nba you either need an elite skill, or you need to be a Swiss Army knife with no weaknesses.  Safe to say he has an elite skill, and will be collecting large paychecks for as long as he can drag his ass up and down the court.  See: Kyle Korver.  But he’s no Klay, Klay is an elite defender, which is a skill most snipers lack.

• Like 1

A dude named Jimmy in one of my NBA facebook groups is doing podcasts and wants to talk/debate anyone right now on any NBA topic as long as you can back it up with facts. Trolls encouraged (by me)

I want all the smoke 💨 (831)582-3888 (Jimmy)

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

32cc5c4b20455a073d541d6118214f8c.jpg

Charles sayin what we’re all thinking

That's a nice line from Chuck, which makes me think he didnt come up with it.  I usually cant stand Draymond but fuck Chuck's hating ass.    I don't know of any other set of analysts who openly hate on the sport they cover and supposedly love.     Its sickening.

Edited by d2o

31 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Pointless speculation: league delays season and playoffs long enough for KD to come back. Nets upset errbody.

Or they go straight to a playoff, but include all teams.  Klay decides he’s ready to roll,  him and Steph spends the break getting dialed in, it’s the Lakers vs GS in the first round, best of 3.

I just want to take moment to acknowledge Zion Williamson and his pledge to pay the "wages" of the stadium workers for the next 30 days in response to the NBA suspending their season.  I don't know that I've ever heard a better "sports" story than this one.  It's a tremendous gesture and one that will make me a Zion fan for life.  I don't think the attention that he's brought to the plight of the people that make the NBA experience enjoyable for millions of fans every year can be understated.  I will admonish the league owners in that it should have been every single one of the "billionaire" team owners that stepped up and maybe some of them have, but him to the first one I've heard of is nothing short of remarkable.  I will be cheering for him for the rest of his career (unless he is playing the Spurs). 

Edited by Hate
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

I will admonish the league owners in that it should have been every single one of the "billionaire" team owners that stepped up and maybe some of them have, but him to the first one I've heard of is nothing short of remarkable. 

Cuban made the gesture almost immediately. Not trying to diminish Zion - it's pretty fucking special what he declared - just want to give the Cubes some credit. 

• Like 2

Well, allow me to retort.  Fuck Mark Cuban...except in this case.  Good on him for this and I hope this forces the hands of every other team owner.  I don't follow the league quite as closely as I used to since my Spurs suck these days.  I'm still in a mourning phase.  But as much as I've always hated Mark Cuban, this is absolutely the right thing to do and it should be acknowledged and applauded. 

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

Fuck Mark Cuban...except in this case.

I don't have anything against him. I think he's a pretty stand up guy, actually. But I'm not trying to make this thread about Cuban.

Here's a good article for anyone curious: 

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2020/03/14/famous-for-setting-the-nba-on-fire-mavs-owner-mark-cuban-has-become-its-face-of-support-during-the-coronavirus-crisis/

If you were a Spurs fan you would understand.  It's mostly just a gamesmanship deal with Cuban.  I'm sure he's a stand up guy and has probably done more for people than I will ever know.  This is a wonderful act of kindness by him and it is inspiring.  But as a Spurs fan, fuck Mark Cuban. It's like if you heard that Bob Stoops was going to pay for all of the meth for okies for the next 30 days. 

Edited by Hate
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hate said:

If you were a Spurs fan you would understand.  It's mostly just a gamesmanship deal with Cuban.  I'm sure he's a stand up guy and has probably done more for people than I will ever know.  This is a wonderful act of kindness by him and it is inspiring.  But as a Spurs fan, fuck Mark Cuban. It's like if you heard that Bob Stoops was going to pay for all of the meth for okies for the next 30 days. 

I am a Spurs fan... I figured you knew that.

But I totally get the gamesmanship angle. He's definitely a doucher when it comes to sitting behind the bench, yelling at refs, etc. 

I've just never got the sense he's a bad guy outside of that. Like, in a business context.

I also don't nearly hold the hate for the Mavs or Rockets than I do for OU. That's just apples and oranges in my world.

That's right.  I get you and Zepol mixed up sometimes when I don't pay attention closely enough.  Back in 2001 when the Spurs had a really good team that could have challenged the Lakers, Juwan Howard cheapshotted Derek Anderson.  DA had been the most athletic player the Spurs had signed in many many years and while the Spurs went on to knock the Mavs out, they ended up losing to the Lakers when a healthy DA would have potentially been a difference make in that series.  At any rate, during that series, Cuban had the audacity to disparage the Riverwalk, while any good SA native would take those words as words of war. 

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

That's right.  I get you and Zepol mixed up sometimes when I don't pay attention closely enough.  Back in 2001 when the Spurs had a really good team that could have challenged the Lakers, Juwan Howard cheapshotted Derek Anderson.  DA had been the most athletic player the Spurs had signed in many many years and while the Spurs went on to knock the Mavs out, they ended up losing to the Lakers when a healthy DA would have potentially been a difference make in that series.  At any rate, during that series, Cuban had the audacity to disparage the Riverwalk, while any good SA native would take those words as words of war. 

Unfortunately I'm not quite old enough to remember stuff like that. But I was just noodling on our convo and thought "Yeah I like Cuban fine, but I'm sure he did plenty of stupid petty shit back in the day to piss off Spurs fans" so I totally get it. I just wasn't a part of it until later. I was pretty into my formative years before I started following the NBA. 

On 3/14/2020 at 12:20 AM, Hate said:

In retrospect, juwan did the spurs a favor. Derek Anderson turned out to be a loser at the end of Portland's bench.  And there's a big possibility they trade away Manus rights of DA is there.

NBA needs to start thinking outside the box.   Here we go:

1. Mandatory quarantine of all players + coaching staff starting now.   Tell players if they want to get paid to sit their ass at home and play NBA Live.

2.  Start planning some kind of massive double elimination tournament starting 3-4 weeks from now to be played in empty arenas at isolated locations.  Televise every game on national TV.  Use available data to find locations that are (i) taking conservative precautions and (ii) aren't especially hard hit.  No need for massive stadiums as nobody will be there except teams, staff, and TV crew.  I always thought the in-season tournament idea was dumb, but if it ever made sense, the time is now!  Dust off those plans.

3.   Test everyone prior to start and daily.  If you test positive, you're out and forego your paycheck.  Sorry, should have quarantined.

4.  Run games at night and Thurs-Sun early rounds should include daytime games as proxy for March Madness.   

5.  Profit.   Everyone does.  Sports fans get their fix.  Players get paid + tons of exposure.  Networks get massive ad sales.   Then donate a bunch of it to charity.  

Hopefully Cuban is on it after he finishes solving world problems on twitter (which, frankly, he does a damn good job of as well).

Edited by Skipper