2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

Not sure if "Old School vs. New School" was always the plan for the last season of Game of Zones, or if they pivoted once it became obvious that this season wasn't going to provide much material, but so far it's been gold.

That's really interesting because the MJ team has the shooting with one gargantuan underneath while the Magic team is more multiple but not nearly as good at shooting.  You'd be asking Tim and Dream to guard Shaq but the other would have to be on the perimeter guarding Dirk.  It may really be about what time period they may play in.  

Yeah, modern refs or early 90s refs makes a huge difference. But I'm taking the GOAT and the 2 7-foot snipers.

MJ is what puts them over the top. Dream could make it respectable against Dirk. And Dirk damn sure couldn’t handle him or Timmy. In any time period.

• 2 weeks later...

The Athletic reports Orlando (Disney) is the clear frontrunner to host the re-started season with training in mid-June and games in July. Sounds like all 30 teams would be there, not split with Vegas or Houston. I read MLS is also looking at the ESPN Disney complex, wonder if the NBA will "box them out" of hotels and facilities.

7 minutes ago, Bartles said:

The Athletic reports Orlando (Disney) is the clear frontrunner to host the re-started season with training in mid-June and games in July. Sounds like all 30 teams would be there, not split with Vegas or Houston. I read MLS is also looking at the ESPN Disney complex, wonder if the NBA will "box them out" of hotels and facilities.

that would be a pretty neat experience.  i wonder what provisions they'll have for players with families.

24 minutes ago, Bartles said:

With this new model, are they continuing the season? Or are they only going with playoff teams?

Pretty sure I saw that most teams have a lot of money at stake in completing something like 70 games for their local TV deals. That would mean everybody still plays around 5-10 more games, then they can go into playoffs which may be slightly shorter series in the beginning. But all of that is TBD.

What would be crazy is if they are trying to play 3-4 games simultaneously. Disney has plenty of space to do that, but imagine how many personnel would need to be on site especially since all would presumably be televised. Not exactly a small gathering

Joe Ingles is not here for your entertainment. I wonder how many players just say “fuck it”.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/au.sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/nba-eyes-orlando-ingles-may-not-play-204725282--spt.html

Well He’s got one year left but he’s definitely financially secure. Article did say he has a 4 year old with weakened immune system so definitely understandable.

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

i dont understand it, i guess it's about tv money and such. this plan is dumb, you fuck up two seasons 

I’ve read in a few places that this will be the new normal..  Less competition with football would theoretically mean better tv ratings.

It blows my mind that they're even considering finishing the regular season. Why being almost 2x the teams and personnel into this proposed bubble just for the sake of seeding and fighting for the 8th playoff spot? Bring in the current 16 playoff teams, and play the games as quickly as possible. Even then, the logistics are insane. You're talking about over 1000 people--not to mention the broadcast team--isolated in hotels for months. Someone is going to test positive at some point. And then what?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

It blows my mind that they're even considering finishing the regular season. Why being almost 2x the teams and personnel into this proposed bubble just for the sake of seeding and fighting for the 8th playoff spot? Bring in the current 16 playoff teams, and play the games as quickly as possible. Even then, the logistics are insane. You're talking about over 1000 people--not to mention the broadcast team--isolated in hotels for months. Someone is going to test positive at some point. And then what?

But, but....Lebron's legacy 

and $$$$$$$$ -- from what I've seen, the RSN's contracts guarantee 70 reg. season games. If they fall short of that mark, owners are going to have to cut a pretty sizable check partially refunding them. 

You quarantine them and test the rest. Everyone going into it will know the ramifications of a positive test. It’s also a test run for the start of next season, because there’s no way this shit is over in December.

5 hours ago, immortal13 said:

But, but....Lebron's legacy 

In LeBron's defense, if literally any team not named the Lakers wins, there will be some talk of an "asterisk" but mostly they'll be celebrated for their "perseverance in a difficult situation." If LeBron wins, people are going to be coming out of the woodwork to discount it.

19 hours ago, aggie08 said:

In LeBron's defense, if literally any team not named the Lakers wins, there will be some talk of an "asterisk" but mostly they'll be celebrated for their "perseverance in a difficult situation." If LeBron wins, people are going to be coming out of the woodwork to discount it.

I'm sure Phil will be there to criticize the Milwaukee Bucks' first championship in almost 50 years as needing an asterisk if it happens to go that way.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 5:17 PM, aggie08 said:

Maybe I’m in the minority, but it doesn’t matter what team wins this, I can’t see myself viewing it as a “legitimate” championship. No road or home games, no fans, several months off, possibly weird format, etc. 

That said, I will watch every single second and will always remember the winner of the tournament, just in a different way from how I’ll remember the 2019 Raptors, 2018 Warriors, etc.

Do people consider the Spurs 99 title legitimate?  The strike shortened (or lockout, whatever happened) 50 game-ish season after Jordan retired for the 2nd time and the Bulls were broken up?  I bet most people don't even remember or know that about it.  This is definitely different from that but a title is a title and all the teams got 60+ games in during the regular season up to this point, which was more than that 99 season.  I think under the current circumstances the regular 1-8 conference seeding makes the most sense here with 3-5 regular season games for a week or two ahead of the playoffs.

As for where to play them, I think they are overthinking it.  The Vegas or Orlando scenarios are interesting but they could probably just play them in the normal arenas with some capacity adjustments.

The NBA pushing back the season start to Christmas is long overdue.  If I am running a pro sports league the last one I want to compete with is the NFL.  June and July are terrible sports months currently, starting league play at Christmas makes them yours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hozz said:

Do people consider the Spurs 99 title legitimate?  The strike shortened (or lockout, whatever happened) 50 game-ish season after Jordan retired for the 2nd time and the Bulls were broken up?  I bet most people don't even remember or know that about it.  This is definitely different from that but a title is a title and all the teams got 60+ games in during the regular season up to this point, which was more than that 99 season.  I think under the current circumstances the regular 1-8 conference seeding makes the most sense here with 3-5 regular season games for a week or two ahead of the playoffs.

As for where to play them, I think they are overthinking it.  The Vegas or Orlando scenarios are interesting but they could probably just play them in the normal arenas with some capacity adjustments.

The NBA pushing back the season start to Christmas is long overdue.  If I am running a pro sports league the last one I want to compete with is the NFL.  June and July are terrible sports months currently, starting league play at Christmas makes them yours.

Spurs title is legit and so is Miami's title in 2012, there was no interruption after it started

20 hours ago, PilotsError said:

This is so retarded.  I can't believe anyone still cares about this season even if it started today.  Much less on July fucking thirty first.

Why would you not care? First off, it means sports on TV again (no offense to NASCAR and Bundesliga). Secondly, this was a pretty exciting season. For the first time in a while, there's not a clear-cut #1 team that's going to win everything. And there's going to be even more uncertainty now that there's been a four-month break.

• Fuck You 1

On 5/31/2020 at 11:50 AM, PilotsError said:

This is so retarded.  I can't believe anyone still cares about this season even if it started today.  Much less on July fucking thirty first.

Eh, I get your point, but maybe some distractions in the form of athletic entertainment will do everyone some good.

Do a march madness style elimination tournament using the current playoff teams. No team with a winning record is let out. If you have to, you can make a bubble round with the lowest 4 teams play the teams just outside the bubble. 

Do a march madness style elimination tournament using the current playoff teams. No team with a winning record is let out. If you have to, you can make a bubble round with the lowest 4 teams play the teams just outside the bubble. 

That’s what I think should happen. Every game would be legit

17 hours ago, Pasken said:

14 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

That’s what I think should happen. Every game would be legit

Gross. Do not want. The reason why it works in March Madness is because you get some team that you've never heard of with a bunch of plucky 6'2" dudes who get hot and beat a Duke or Kentucky, when you know they'd have no chance in a series.  That's fun, and you still have plenty of marquee teams left to carry the tournament.  I couldn't give the slightest of fucks if DeMar DeRozan gets hot for a quarter and manages to beat the Celtics in one game.  That happens all the time in the regular season, and I'd rather the better team advance. 

One of my favorite parts about the NBA playoffs is the game to game adjustments and the chess match that develops as the series goes on.

If they're going to do it tournament style, they may as well announce that the 2020 "Finals" Champion will not be official, and they're just doing it for $$$ and pure entertainment value (which would be fine if that's all they can practically do).

Edited by aggie08

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I can't envision a scenario where the NBA plays a March Madness style tournament. People are starved for sports right now. The league isn't going to cut their TV inventory like that. That's just throwing away money.

The reason IMO is it gives you the best chance to actually complete whatever kind of reactivation they choose. I think there is really high risk with doing a series of C19 eventually breaking in and getting an entire team or two sick.