2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

On 6/1/2020 at 9:52 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Why would you not care? First off, it means sports on TV again (no offense to NASCAR and Bundesliga). Secondly, this was a pretty exciting season. For the first time in a while, there's not a clear-cut #1 team that's going to win everything. And there's going to be even more uncertainty now that there's been a four-month break.

It was an exciting season. was being the key word. By July 31, they would not have played in nearly 4 months. The momentum is completely gone. Players are no longer in game shape. I don't care what equipment or exercise they do on their own, game shape can only be achieved by actually playing. Are they going to jump right in the playoffs? Any team who wins it all this season won't even feel like a real champion. Also by July 31, football will be around the corner. Will I watch? Sure. But I think it would be best if they just scrapped the whole season. What will the quality even be like?

11 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

It was an exciting season. was being the key word. By July 31, they would not have played in nearly 4 months. The momentum is completely gone. Players are no longer in game shape. I don't care what equipment or exercise they do on their own, game shape can only be achieved by actually playing. Are they going to jump right in the playoffs? Any team who wins it all this season won't even feel like a real champion. Also by July 31, football will be around the corner. Will I watch? Sure. But I think it would be best if they just scrapped the whole season. What will the quality even be like?

Disagree.  Will it be a legit championship?  Probably not.  But if you get a full playoff slate, it's pretty close.  But more importantly, it's live sports at a highly competitive level.  These guys can be in playing shape pretty damn quick.  

53 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Disagree.  Will it be a legit championship?  Probably not.  But if you get a full playoff slate, it's pretty close.  But more importantly, it's live sports at a highly competitive level.  These guys can be in playing shape pretty damn quick.  

It just reminds me of how the national championship in college football amplified by a lot.From the last day of conference championships to the semfinals games and then to the national title game, so much momentum is lost.

But by the time this season ends with whenever that will be, are they going to turn around and start the 2020-21 season shortly after? 

I mean one of the positives will be there will be zero burnout or fatigue for these playoffs. They need to just begin the playoffs. However they feel the need to. They don't have time to play any more of the regular season and then a playoffs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Jumping straight to the playoffs makes the most sense.  4 extra teams, all 7 game series.  Rank 1-20 no divisions.  As you said, the 2020 season has been over for 4 months.  Do something different.

or if tourney

The same 20 teams play a double elimination tourney.  Or the soccer pod style. 

Any "regular" season at this point will be complete crap.  Give them a couple weeks training and who cares if they are rusty. 

Playball

national-lampoon-aunt-bethany-679x382.jp

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

It just reminds me of how the national championship in college football amplified by a lot.From the last day of conference championships to the semfinals games and then to the national title game, so much momentum is lost.

But by the time this season ends with whenever that will be, are they going to turn around and start the 2020-21 season shortly after? 

I mean one of the positives will be there will be zero burnout or fatigue for these playoffs. They need to just begin the playoffs. However they feel the need to. They don't have time to play any more of the regular season and then a playoffs.

I think they need 5-7 non-playoff games to get into form.  But I do think they should take teams 7-10 and have them do a play-in tourney.  

14 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Finals slated to end in October. This is going to crash and burn

Yeah the NBA is shitting the bed IMO.  Getting restarted way too slowly and going too deep into football season.  Then, what are they going to do about next season?  The two month shift start at Christmas end in early August is a great idea to further avoid football...but how are they going to squeeze the off season, the draft and training camp into the space between October 12 and December 25? 

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

Yeah the NBA is shitting the bed IMO.  Getting restarted way too slowly and going too deep into football season.  Then, what are they going to do about next season?  The two month shift start at Christmas end in early August is a great idea to further avoid football...but how are they going to squeeze the off season, the draft and training camp into the space between October 12 and December 25? 

I just think they are trying to figure out a way to maximize revenue next year hoping that by mid-season (March/April) fans can come back, have finals wrap up early August and then start back up at at a normal time (or at least a significantly less delayed start) in 2022.  I haven't given it a lot of thought but that timeline seems to make sense if that is the goal.

27 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I just think they are trying to figure out a way to maximize revenue next year hoping that by mid-season (March/April) fans can come back, have finals wrap up early August and then start back up at at a normal time (or at least a significantly less delayed start) in 2022.  I haven't given it a lot of thought but that timeline seems to make sense if that is the goal.

Fans should be able to come back now. They have zero issues with gathering into thousands to protest all around the country so why should they care if people want to go to games and gather in crowds in the stands? 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Fans should be able to come back now. They have zero issues with gathering into thousands to protest all around the country so why should they care if people want to go to games and gather in crowds in the stands? 

🙄 

Another well thought out and value adding post from Vic.  .

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

34 minutes ago, Skipper said:

🙄

Another well thought out and value adding post from Vic.  .

Nothing I said was wrong but typical deflecting "hurrr durr just another great post from Vic. Amirite guys?!". Neat. But by all means, please explain to me the difference in being able to go protest in crowds of thousands with zero and I mean zero mention of Covid from the media and no one gives a damn. Hell, they send their whole teams of reporters to cover it. But going to sit in a crowd at a sports game is any different. Until you can explain this to me, stop replying.

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

But the NBA never had to compete with the NFL during their playoff run. That is the main difference now. 

It’s only for one season, and the NFL plays one game a week. People can watch more than one sport, especially after being deprived of it. 

The NBA will only conflict with the NFL over a period of 3-5 weekends, and you can add one weekend for CFB as well. I assume they'll try to slot games away from NFL, but no doubt there will be a few nights they go head-to-head and will get hammered.

It will be interesting to hear why they took their time on making the announcement and then allowed so much time before reporting to Orlando. Probably based on feedback they got from the teams as well as the medical side on logistics of mass COVID testing.

38 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

But going to sit in a crowd at a sports game is any different. Until you can explain this to me, stop replying.

If I have to explain this to you then you are dumber than I thought.  And I assure you that was an incredibly low bar.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

But it’s on 3 nights. The finals probably wouldn’t have any problem beating a week 5 Thursday night game between the Broncos and jets

I would think they try to schedule Finals games on Friday nights and Sunday late afternoon where the 2nd half would fall in the window between the end of the afternoon games and the start of the Sunday Night game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

Maybe the Rockets will win their 3rd championship with an asterisk. Lol.

It’s basically going to be pick up games and I like Hardin / Westbrook chances in pick up games 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bartles said:

The NBA will only conflict with the NFL over a period of 3-5 weekends, and you can add one weekend for CFB as well. I assume they'll try to slot games away from NFL, but no doubt there will be a few nights they go head-to-head and will get hammered.

It will be interesting to hear why they took their time on making the announcement and then allowed so much time before reporting to Orlando. Probably based on feedback they got from the teams as well as the medical side on logistics of mass COVID testing.

wow, you guys are imagining problems that will never come. There is no way all CFB, NFL, NBA and MLB all make it without having to shut down again due to Covid. 

Edited by Pasken
  • Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Its a known fact that disease will force itself into dormancy for the right political causes.

Thanks for the neg.  Are you a fucking idiot as well?  You can't see the difference between a private league inviting tens of thousands of people to line up to go through security and then sit indoors in close quarters for basketball vs grass roots protests?  You don't see potential liability for those employing low wage security/concession workers in that environment?  Do you see any city govt asking thousands of protestors to descend on their city?  Do you see public health officials supporting the public gatherings?   JFC I can't believe this has to be spelled out for some people.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Its a known fact that disease will force itself into dormancy for the right political causes.

People are risking injury, permanent deformity and death by going to the protests. It's obvious they are also risking infection. People take risks when something is important. Stoping the police from beating and killing with no impunity is a cause. Wanting a haircut and watching grown men play games meant for college students is not.

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

On 6/2/2020 at 6:39 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Nice. I’m actually intrigued to check out b-ball with no crowd noise..the swearing, trash talk and complaining is going to be epic

So there’ll be an audio delay and we get none of it

Put it on HBO 

On 6/4/2020 at 11:58 AM, Pasken said:

People are risking injury, permanent deformity and death by going to the protests. It's obvious they are also risking infection. People take risks when something is important. Stoping the police from beating and killing with no impunity is a cause. Wanting a haircut and watching grown men play games meant for college students is not.

I can’t disagree more. Sports are central to a whole lot of shit in this country for a large percentage of the population (somewhere between 15 and 20 percent). It’s just about the only mono culture we have left and one of the few things that can unite a city or region 

It’s an institution in America up there with organized religion. 

• Like 1

Maybe this shit ain't happening after all.

There is a significant number of NBA players who are disappointed that everyone wasn’t given the opportunity to vote on whether to restart the 2019-20 season, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Last week, the National Basketball Players Association executive committee and its board of representatives approved the league’s 22-team, return-to-play format to be held at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida, in late July. 

The complaint, privately expressed by multiple players, is that every player’s voice wasn’t heard for this critical and potentially life-changing vote, sources said.

The unease about relocating to a quarantined campus during the COVID-19 pandemic was already viewed as hazardous and unnecessary to many players. But because of the George Floyd tragedy and the powerful movement for racial justice that’s sweeping the nation, some players believe it’s bad optics for a league comprised predominantly of black men to be sequestered in one location for up to three months merely to entertain the masses and ease the league’s economic burden, sources said. 

“What message are we sending by agreeing to this during this time?” a black player told Yahoo Sports. “We’re out here marching and protesting, and yet we all leave our families in these scary times and gather to perform at a place where the owners won’t be at? What type of sense does that make? We’ll be going backwards. That place isn’t that magical.”

Brooklyn Nets star Kyrie Irving has organized a call with players for Friday night to discuss their positions regarding the season’s restart, Yahoo Sports confirmed.

Irving is of the position that players should consider not playing in light of the uproar over racial injustice and the unknowns of COVID-19, sources said.

Irving’s stance is meaningful because he’s on the executive committee that voted for the season’s resumption.

Sources said several players have been reluctant to express their views in fear of opposing the superstars who are adamant about playing if proper safety measures are in place. 

Then there is a faction of players that is noncommittal on a return because it hasn’t received enough feedback and information on how the league plans to facilitate a safe haven, sources said. Portland Trail Blazers forward Carmelo Anthony expressed this very concern to Ernie Johnson in an NBA Together Twitter Live session. 

Denver Nuggets forward Jerami Grant, on the Yahoo Sports Posted Up with Chris Haynes video series, said he wasn’t sure if returning this season was the right thing to do.

Part of the NBPA board of representatives’ obligation is to communicate with each individual on their respective teams to provide updates and make sure every player’s voice is heard, especially regarding the resumption of the season.

On the flip side, there are players who haven’t made themselves available for calls or Zoom chats with their respective board reps, sources said.

The decision to play will be up to each individual, but they will not be paid if they don’t play.

An all-player voting system of the nearly 450 players in the league doesn’t seem achievable at this point, but it could be something the NBPA looks into down the road. Some agents are urging their clients to speak up and talk with the NBPA about seeking a more collaborative system. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-significant-number-of-players-disappointed-about-not-having-a-vote-regarding-nb-as-return-143937552.html

So, 

A. The players don't run the league - outside of their opinion on the CBA.

B. They are all salaried employees and under contract to play basketball.

The NBA has already said they will excuse anyone that doesn't want to play - but you of course will not get paid since you know, are not reporting to your job.

If they want to collectively strike then power to them, but the NBA was well within its bounds making the decision that it made.

Regardless, I'm not sure anyone is going to take this title very seriously.

6 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

LOL, so they're not getting paid? 

Of course they're getting paid. They don't get paid if they refuse to play. The league needs the TV revenue - without it the next CBA is going to be a nightmare.