2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t like politics being injected in the 2019-2020 NBA Season thread. I want this to be a place to talk about teams, players and games. 

I hear you but the discussion is relevant unfortunately. Brothahorn posted the NBA plan to inject politics directly into the games with the jersey thing. So your beef is with them. Not me.

7 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I hear you but the discussion is relevant unfortunately. Brothahorn posted the NBA plan to inject politics directly into the games with the jersey thing. So your beef is with them. Not me.

Did I reference you or your posts?  But you were an integral part of the discussion. If you really agree with me then don’t take the bait. 

Edited by TonyTexas

3 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Oh it will be for multiple reasons, but dont worry, the social justice bullshit is gonna turn away millions. Nothing like a player making a dunk and then on the back of the shirt it says "BLM" or "I cant breathe" and we get a 1 minute monologue on why the player chose that name. Like gtfo, I watch sports to watch athleticism on display, not to be lectured to or hear about someone's politics. If they go down this road, there will be consequences. 

Yeah, man. You really need to take a moment to self-evaluate why some stitching on a jersey for a cause that's important to players for pretty fucking obvious reasons would cause you to just flat out boycott a sport that you apparently enjoy.

18 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Classic tolerant liberal point of view, call everyone a racist and hope it shuts down the discussion. Your insults are worthless now, your game has become all too clear. 

I'm not calling everyone a racist, just you. I'm not insulting you. I'm not trying to shut anything down. But let's do break down your post here:

BLM is a marxist organization that has people calling for destruction of religious statues and has admitted to other radical communist ideals.

This, I mean, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Watch less OAN, dude. Here you go: https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/

I support black lives, in fact I support all lives

The fact that you feel compelled to comment "all lives matter" in the context of a discussion of BLM affirms that you do not recognize the special situation that black Americans have in this country. Black lives matter is not a refutation of "all lives matter" but "all lives matter" is a failure to acknowledge the societal and cultural constructs America has built to ensure that black lives matter less in this country.

I dont support this liberal shaming (which you are doing right now) to make me feel as though I am a perpetrator of inequality if I do not tolerate a politically biased message.

I'm not shaming you. Just pointing out the racism inherent in your statements. If you feel shame, that's on you, not me. You are the perpetrator of inequality if you deny the oppressed a voice. And again, be honest, you simply are not willing to tolerate the message that you do not agree with. Don't try to pass it off as not tolerating that act of messaging. Shutting down the message is tantamount to endorsing the opposite message. Again, that's your stance, I'm all for your right to espouse that stance, even though it is inherently antithetical to the American ideal of free speech and is inherently racist. But you do you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Bruno Caboclo of the Rockets apparently “inadvertently”  broke quarantine over the weekend and has been given 8 days in the hole his room as punishment.

14 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Richaun Holmes crossed the line for some delivery food. Enjoy those 8 days in quarantine, buddy.

See, Stephen A. was right. These big name superstars will never be able to survive in the bubble.

I thought the perception of them not being able to go a couple of nights without pussy was pretty shitty. Then I thought about being an NBA player and the sheer amounts of ass they get on a regular basis. I wouldn’t be able to do it either. There’s gonna be a lot of Disney workers with stories to tell. Dwight’s already heading out to the DJ parties. 

Pretty clutch move by former Bruin Jrue Holiday:

Just prior to the NBA’s restart in Orlando, Fla., players like Kyrie Irving of the Brooklyn Nets reportedly advocated for sitting out the season in order to keep a public spotlight on issues like racial injustice and police brutality in America in the wake of George Floyd’s death in May. While players ultimately opted to go on with the season, the NBA will allow certain messages promoting social justice to be displayed in place of names on jerseys.

The idea is to make sure the conversation doesn’t stop. Plenty of eyeballs will be on the NBA once games restart on July 30, and the hope is that the league can continue to remind its audience of societal issues that continue.

New Orleans Pelicans guard Jrue Holiday is doing even more than that.Ads by Teads

Holiday and his wife Lauren, a retired soccer player who won the 2015 World Cup with the United States Women’s National Team, will put the remainder of Jrue Holiday’s salary for the 2019-20 season toward a fund to benefit African American-owned small businesses as a way to promote upward mobility. The amount will be roughly $5 million, and business owners in Los Angeles, Indianapolis and New Orleans are eligible to apply.

"Honestly when it came down to it, it was me and my wife talking about what we could do to kind of further this movement and progression and being able to help out our community and just being able to help," Jrue Holiday told ESPN’s Andrew Lopez. "We were just kind of sitting in the house, in the bed, thinking about it, and my wife said, 'I think you should do this and you should do the rest of your salary.' That's a great idea. Because we want to make an impact. God has blessed us with so much. We know a couple of things that are important are time and money, and right now, we have both. To be able to give away our money to help further this movement and Black-owned businesses that have taken a hit in COVID-19, to us, it felt like the perfect time and opportunity."

1COMMENTS

The Holidays both attended UCLA, and Jrue Holiday is a native of Los Angeles. Lauren Holiday is a native of Indianapolis, and of course Jrue Holiday currently calls New Orleans home.

“In hopes of quickly forging a united front and also encouraging other gifts, Jrue and Lauren have already partnered with local organizations and leaders, including Mayor LaToya Cantrell of New Orleans, Mayor Eric Garcetti of Los Angeles, Mayor Aja Brown of Compton, Mayor Joe Hogsett of Indianapolis, The New Orleans Business Alliance, 100 Black Men of Los Angeles, and others dedicated to make donations and awards,” read a statement on the Holidays’ website.

• Like 4

ZERO positive tests the first week in the bubble. Which is probably the biggest hurdle as it included a few days back in all 22 home markets, some of which are still hot spots.

I won't cloak room this, but I do hope people start to see what sports is doing as a shining example of how to create and execute a plan for safety. It requires frequent testing, and yes that costs money. I won't say more because no CR

19 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Oh my . . . 

I’m still not on the bandwagon. He’s gonna be a player in the league but I don’t think his handle is or will be tight enough to play like KD. He need to work on the mid range fade because that should be his go to look.

NBA has done a great job making three uniquely shaped arenas look exactly the same, at least on TV. It's probably about the same for the players on court too, thanks to the video board placement, wide spacing on sidelines/end zones and the consistent TV lighting. The Visa Center will be the least used venue, it has a lower ceiling than the other two (was Mavs-Lakers court yesterday).

Also notable that I haven't seen any Disney branding anywhere in the arenas.

21 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m still not on the bandwagon. He’s gonna be a player in the league but I don’t think his handle is or will be tight enough to play like KD. He need to work on the mid range fade because that should be his go to look.

I don't think anyone is saying he's going to play like KD. KD has the best handles for someone his size in league history and it really isn't close.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Someone lure AD out of the bubble so I don't have to watch the Lakers win a fake championship.

What’s fake about it? They’re playing 85% of their regular season  games. % will be higher with playoffs.  No *

Edited by TonyTexas

29 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

He’s gonna get the full 14 days in the hole.

I hate taking this position, but I feel like it needs to be more severe than that. Obviously with giving him the full quarantine and testing him several times he can be shown to be safe to interact with others, but after seeking and receiving special treatment his actions were so flagrantly reckless and against the spirit of the entire setup it just seems like sending a message is appropriate. 

Edited by TommyGufano

7 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I hate taking this position, but I feel like it needs to be more severe than that. Obviously with giving him the full quarantine and testing him several times he can be shown to be safe to interact with others, but after seeking and receiving special treatment his actions were so flagrantly reckless and against the spirit of the entire setup it just seems like sending a message is appropriate. 

They’ll probably  take some of his money as well.  The full agreed upon penalty even though it’s unnecessary will be the message.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

What’s fake about it? They’re playing 85% of their regular season  games. % will be higher with playoffs.  No *

Whether you think it's fake or not, do you honestly think people are going to give this years champion as much weight as every other post-merger NBA champion? Assuming we even get to that point and the entire thing doesn't have to be cancelled.

I mean at the end of the day it's basically an exhibition to protect as much league revenue as they can. It still might be just as much if not more fun to watch but I won't be able to take whoever wins it seriously as a title winning team. There are too many variables that are wildly different.

Edited by ztejas

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Whether you think it's fake or not, do you honestly think people are going to give this years champion as much weight as every other post-merger NBA champion? Assuming we even get to that point and the entire thing doesn't have to be cancelled.

I mean at the end of the day it's basically an exhibition to protect as much league revenue as they can. It still might be just as much if not more fun to watch but I won't be able to take whoever wins it seriously as a title winning team. There are too many variables that are wildly different.

If the title will be tainted then the Rockets are a lock.