2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Whether you think it's fake or not, do you honestly think people are going to give this years champion as much weight as every other post-merger NBA champion?

Sure. Everyone played under the same conditions. Much like the lockouts in 98-99 and 2011-2012. There will be some who try to shit on it, but the reality is the same teams were the favorites then are still the favorites, and most players have had time to get healthy. Plus, there's the added benefit of playing on a neutral court for every game, which is fucking awesome. 

Assuming we even get to that point and the entire thing doesn't have to be cancelled.

Well, it's going well so far. Except for Lou Williams. There will be fewer teams there in three weeks. It'll only get easier for the league as they gain more experience running the bubble. The only issue I can see is when the families come to visit for those teams who make it into the later rounds, but I assume they will have been tested and quarantined prior to arriving in Orlando. 

I mean at the end of the day it's basically an exhibition to protect as much league revenue as they can. It still might be just as much if not more fun to watch but I won't be able to take whoever wins it seriously as a title winning team. There are too many variables that are wildly different.

Yes. That's what a business does. They generate revenue. And entertainment. Are you not entertained? I am. They've gone about it the best way they can, and by they I mean the league and the players association. The only way I'd see it as an exhibition is if the players were forced to be there and played half-ass. That does not seem to be the case at all with certain exceptions. I'm looking at you Demar. One could argue that the circumstances of this season would add more significance to a title. Either way, I'm just glad that the NBA is back, if only for a couple of months. And then the fun really starts with the off-season and quickly turns into the 20-21 season. It's going to be a whirlwind.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Sure. Everyone played under the same conditions

Right, but that's not how the playoffs are supposed to work. Home court advantage is a huge part of why you win games in the regular season. That's been thrown out the window. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Right, but that's not how the playoffs are supposed to work. Home court advantage is a huge part of why you win games in the regular season. That's been thrown out the window. 

Sure, but that’s how pandemics work. You do the best with what you’ve got. The eventual champ will get to argue that under a controlled environment, they were the better team. 

Of course if the Clippers win, I’ll put an asterisk on the season the size of Sandra Romain’s butthole.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

That's not uniform though. Plenty of sports do post-season at neutral sites. March Madness, for one. Seeding is still a pretty big incentive to play well in the regular season.

18 hours ago, Kermit said:

Left the bubble and did a James Harden. Lou Williams has got to be the stupidest motherfucker in the league. 

Do they not have security at all the doors?  I assume they have security to keep people from coming in to the hotels, are those same guys not saying "hey Lou, once you leave we can't let you back in?"

Here we go.

First game is basically a playoff game. Pelicans playing to stay in the mix, Jazz playing for seeding.

Late game the Lakers don't have much to play for but the Clippers are playing to stave off seeds 3 through 5 in the West.

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Here we go.

First game is basically a playoff game. Pelicans playing to stay in the mix, Jazz playing for seeding.

Late game the Lakers don't have much to play for but the Clippers are playing to stave off seeds 3 through 5 in the West.

I really wonder how much seeding is going to matter.  I guess for the first round it will help, but there certainly is no home court.

14 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I really wonder how much seeding is going to matter.  I guess for the first round it will help, but there certainly is no home court.

Who knows. It's basically just matchups. These aren't really the teams that posted the current standings, either.

Jazz looking salty. Forgot Conley plays for them.

1 hour ago, Party_Taco said:

Both of these teams could make some noise... Clarkson is going to be insane off the bench.

Pelicans too light on playoff experience imo. I think the Clippers would roast them. They probably match up better vs. the Lakers. But it doesn't matter if Zion doesn't get off a minutes restriction.

16 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Good game. Utah showed grit to comeback in the game. two point game - less than a minute left. 

Crazy that Zion is on the bench, but he is not the best Pelican out there today. 

He would be if they let him play more than 15 minutes.

Can anyone put it in cliffs on wtf is happening with the season and playoffs? Playoffs begin in like 2 weeks right? Are the suns/NOP/Kings playing for the 8 seed? Why is there 6 WC teams fighting for one spot and just Washington fighting Orlando for the EC 8?

Is it all a continuation of the season? Basically if they’re “officially eliminated” they go home?

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Can anyone put it in cliffs on wtf is happening with the season and playoffs? Playoffs begin in like 2 weeks right? Are the suns/NOP/Kings playing for the 8 seed? Why is there 6 WC teams fighting for one spot and just Washington fighting Orlando for the EC 8?

Is it all a continuation of the season? Basically if they’re “officially eliminated” they go home?

There are something like 9 games left in the "regular season" which they're playing. Standings at the end of this determine playoffs, same format as always. 

They let every team that is mathematically alive (could theoretically reach the 8 seed by winning out) play. I guess there are more teams that fit that bill in the West than the East. 

I just want to know if my Spurs over 45 wins ticket from the Aria is going to turn into a push/no bet and an unexpected $200 windfall for me thanks to Covid.

• Like 1

It seems the Clips don’t have a ton of offense. Am I wrong here? Don’t remember what the mavs record was against either of these teams (I think more Ls than Ws, although mavs should have one more win against the Lakers), but they played them really tough both times. At risk of sounding like aggy, I’m not sure either of these teams are going to stop our offense over the course of a series. Granted, I don’t know if we have any D at all, but these days offense wins championships, right?

Edited by Etexhorn13

9 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

It seems the Clips don’t have a ton of offense. Am I wrong here? Don’t remember what the mavs record was against either of these teams (I think more Ls than Ws, although mavs should have one more win against the Lakers), but they played them really tough both times. At risk of sounding like aggy, I’m not sure either of these teams are going to stop our offense over the course of a series. Granted, I don’t know if we have any D at all, but these days offense wins championships, right?

I do not believe your assessment is correct.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Kawhi notoriously starts seasons slow and this is basically a restart, and they're missing Lou Williams. They'll round into form, sadly.

Edited by BradInATX

25 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

LAC has Kawhi, PG, Harrell, and Beverly, to name a few. their defense, when everyone is healthy and playing, is something special. don't discount that when it comes to the playoffs here.

PG!!!

Edited by shadow_operative

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

great play by LeBron, but he is a sooooo gay for yelling at the refs after the play. he is the whiniest all-time great in NBA history.

I do not miss the overall whininess of NBA players in general.  Every fucking call they dispute like crybabies.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

LAC has Kawhi, PG, Harrell, and Beverly, to name a few. their defense, when everyone is healthy and playing, is something special. don't discount that when it comes to the playoffs here.

PG!!!

I definitely get that, which is why I would not like to play them first round as a Mavs fan. Kawhi and PG can bring offense every night, but they looked bad at times tonight if they weren’t hitting 3s. Maybe I don’t want to admit that the lakers look as good as they do. That goddamn aggy is a baller. I always gave him shit cus he needs to shave his head but he’s a pretty good player.