2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

Idk. Timmy, Manu, Tony, Bruce Bowen, Robert Horry on one side - Chauncey, Rip, Sheed, Big Ben on the other. That series had some names.
But yeah - a lot of hard nosed, team first players that didn't demand the spotlight. 
I was talking about the Pistons. Timmy was obviously not unheralded. But the Pistons were a group without a super star. Van Gundy mentioned in one game that Ben Wallace was an MVP candidate that year but I honestly don't remember that at all. Which is a testament to the lack of star power on that team.

15 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
18 minutes ago, ztejas said:
Idk. Timmy, Manu, Tony, Bruce Bowen, Robert Horry on one side - Chauncey, Rip, Sheed, Big Ben on the other. That series had some names.
But yeah - a lot of hard nosed, team first players that didn't demand the spotlight. 

I was talking about the Pistons. Timmy was obviously not unheralded. But the Pistons were a group without a super star. Van Gundy mentioned in one game that Ben Wallace was an MVP candidate that year but I honestly don't remember that at all. Which is a testament to the lack of star power on that team.

Wallace won DPOY once or twice in that timeframe and led the league in boards by a significant margin IIRC.  But you had to pull him off the floor late because he was abysmal from the line.  Like the worst free throw shooter in nba history.

9 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Wallace won DPOY once or twice in that timeframe and led the league in boards by a significant margin IIRC.  But you had to pull him off the floor late because he was abysmal from the line.  Like the worst free throw shooter in nba history.

He was always one of my favorite non-Spurs. I loved his game. I actually really liked that Pistons group, not just because they beat that Lakers "super team" with Payton and Malone, but because all of their guys were scrappy hustle players. Chauncey, Rip, Tayshaun, and the Wallaces. I even liked Sheed for the pure entertainment value.

• Like 1

NBA Bubble holding up - knock on wood:

The NBA continues to have success in its bubble plan down in Orlando, both on and especially off the court. As other sports leagues across the United States try to find the safest path toward returning amid a global pandemic, the NBA is proving that a bubble may be the only safe path. When teams arrived on the Disney World campus last month, two players tested positive for COVID-19, but since then it's been smooth sailing for the league.

In fact, for the fourth consecutive week, zero players tested positive for COVID-19.Per the league's release: "Of the 342 players tested for COVID-19 on the NBA campus since test results were last announced on Aug. 5, zero have returned confirmed positive tests." 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-announces-zero-players-tested-positive-for-covid-19-inside-disney-bubble-for-fourth-straight-week/

That LAC/Denver game last night was a pretty good example of why I think LAC is the clear favorite. Denver is a really good team and the Clippers just grinded away at them. Denver led most of the first half and the Clips just kept working and evened it up in the 3rd. Then in the 4th the Nuggets got gassed and got the doors blown off of them.

Now imagine that for multiple games in a row with a single day rest between games. Not to mention that Montrezl Harrell, another bundle of energy that wears you down, is going to come back at some point soon.

The Lakers are too old and aren't even playing well right now anyway. The Bucks are too Giannis-centric for that style. The toughest out for them might be Houston if they end up playing them. Maybe Toronto who is sort of a poor-man's Clippers.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, the last game of the whole bubble season (Spurs) could end up being meaningless depending on how the early games fall. But like you said, you can't really predict for that. It does seem like they could have flexibility to move games around, though, since there are no crowd or vendor logistics to deal with.

I'm interested in seeing the odds Vegas would make for a Lakers/Blazers 1st round series. Phoenix and Memphis have sizable leads in the 4th, Portland has to beat Brooklyn and they're in. Y'all know damn well the Lakers with their inability to defend the three want absolutely nothing to do with the likes of Dame and CJ. The Lakers are fools gold, never would I bet against a #1 seed in the west during the opening round, but the Lakers are nothing but a shit show in the bubble.

So- I get wanting to give the 8 seed an advantage in this play in thing- but if portland loses and it’s Memphis against the suns, each of whom has identical records, I think it’s stupid to give the grizzlies that game in hand advantage. Just say- welp- with how this worked out- let’s go ahead and make this game winner take all. That seems the most fair to me if it goes down that way. 

2 hours ago, Chad said:

I'm interested in seeing the odds Vegas would make for a Lakers/Blazers 1st round series. Phoenix and Memphis have sizable leads in the 4th, Portland has to beat Brooklyn and they're in. Y'all know damn well the Lakers with their inability to defend the three want absolutely nothing to do with the likes of Dame and CJ. The Lakers are fools gold, never would I bet against a #1 seed in the west during the opening round, but the Lakers are nothing but a shit show in the bubble.

Meh. No one to guard Lebron or AD.

Portland's going out in 4 or 5 games like they always do whenever they play a team with real title aspirations. Last year was an absolute fluke: they got Russ's broke playoff ass in Round 1, followed by a Denver team not ready for the spotlight, before getting punked by a KD-less Golden State who spotted them 20 points every game. I fucking love Dame, but dude's had two good playoff series his entire career. AD, Jrue Holiday, and a bunch of scrubs embarrassed them a couple years back. I think AD and LeBron will do okay.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Portland's going out in 4 or 5 games like they always do whenever they play a team with real title aspirations. Last year was an absolute fluke: they got Russ's broke playoff ass in Round 1, followed by a Denver team not ready for the spotlight, before getting punked by a KD-less Golden State who spotted them 20 points every game. I fucking love Dame, but dude's had two good playoff series his entire career. AD, Jrue Holiday, and a bunch of scrubs embarrassed them a couple years back. I think AD and LeBron will do okay.

I agree that Portland was lucky last season, they were exposed in the WCF. Have you watched the Lakers after the season resumed? They're terrible. They give up more 3 pt shots than anyone, not exactly a recipe for success when you play a team that is loaded with 3pt shooters such as Portland. Nobody outside of LeBron or AD has been able to consistently produce any kind of offense. Kuzma has been up and down, he's their 3rd most potent player on offense. Dame is red hot right now, the Lakers not so much. The Lakers squeaked out a win against Denver's backups (It took a miracle shot by Kuzma over Bol Bol to win that contest) and got walloped by the Kings.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good fight from Brooklyn tonight. Would have liked to have seen LeVert take it to the rack on the final play of the game. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't grown more interested in seeing how Phoenix fares than Portland. Portland defense might be just the thing to get LA's offense back on track.

But yeah, if Portland's shots are falling, there's no reason that series can't get interesting.

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Chad said:

I agree that Portland was lucky last season, they were exposed in the WCF. Have you watched the Lakers after the season resumed? They're terrible. They give up more 3 pt shots than anyone, not exactly a recipe for success when you play a team that is loaded with 3pt shooters such as Portland. Nobody outside of LeBron or AD has been able to consistently produce any kind of offense. Kuzma has been up and down, he's their 3rd most potent player on offense. Dame is red hot right now, the Lakers not so much. The Lakers squeaked out a win against Denver's backups (It took a miracle shot by Kuzma over Bol Bol to win that contest) and got walloped by the Kings.

Believe me, I would LOVE to be proven wrong. Guard play is obviously LA's huge weak spot, so it stands to reason that Dame should be able to ball out. I just feel like I've read this story before.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Believe me, I would LOVE to be proven wrong. Guard play is obviously LA's huge weak spot, so it stands to reason that Dame should be able to ball out. I just feel like I've read this story before.

Vegas has released odds for the majority of the first round series with the exception of LA/Portland. I'm interested to see how Vegas perceives the struggles of the Lakers in the bubble and Portland being red hot. The Lakers are short handed at both Guard positions, LeBron and AD can't carry the Lakers by themselves. This is the shittiest #1 seed the West has seen in quite some time, prior to the shutdown the Lakers were a legitimate title contender since things resumed they've looked worse than the majority of the teams in the mix for the #8 seed. If the Lakers beat the Blazers and slide by the winner of OKC/Houston the full strength Clippers would smash them into oblivion in a fashion similar of what Golden State did to Portland in the WCF last season.

11 minutes ago, Chad said:

Vegas has released odds for the majority of the first round series with the exception of LA/Portland. I'm interested to see how Vegas perceives the struggles of the Lakers in the bubble and Portland being red hot. The Lakers are short handed at both Guard positions, LeBron and AD can't carry the Lakers by themselves. This is the shittiest #1 seed the West has seen in quite some time, prior to the shutdown the Lakers were a legitimate title contender since things resumed they've looked worse than the majority of the teams in the mix for the #8 seed. If the Lakers beat the Blazers and slide by the winner of OKC/Houston the full strength Clippers would smash them into oblivion in a fashion similar of what Golden State did to Portland in the WCF last season.

Lakers draw a lot of money. I would guess POR winds up around +230 or even higher.

12 minutes ago, Chad said:

I’m gonna watch a few games that matter before I start writing the Lakers obituary.  That being said, of the teams they could possibly have faced, Portland is, by far, the least desirable outcome for LA.  I imagine they will have a team watch party tomorrow with everyone decked out in Morant jerseys.

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:

I'll never not be flummoxed by ppl on Twitter calling for Mark Jackson to get a head coaching gig when one becomes available. I imagine half of it is a ppl doing a bit, but I'm still deeply troubled that the other half exists.

Maybe they're trying to get him off of their TV so they don't have to listen to him.  That's reason enough for me to pull for him to get a head coaching gig.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Coaches who go into broadcasting become better and better coaches with every year they're away from the sidelines. In every sport. It's science.

Give it a couple of years and Tony Dungy will replace Bill Cowher as the greatest coach who ever lived.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

NO just shitcanned Gentry.  Tough deal when he’s only allowed to play his best player for 15 min/game.  

What a shitshow org. Gentry might not be a championship level coach but making him fall on the sword is just shitty management.

On the Zion subject, what do y'all put the odds of him living up to his recent comments about slimming down?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29654517/zion-williamson-spend-offseason-working-game-body

He's cursed/blessed with immense natural thickness (which is the gayest thing I've ever written), and it's always going to be an Achilles heel (along with his free-throw shooting). But if he can get to or below 250, the sky's the limit.