2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

9 minutes ago, Llogg said:

You're choosing up your five in a pickup game. Who do you take -- PG13 or Dray? Be honest. It's PG and it's not close. Have you ever watched Draymond shoot a jumper? To say he is equivalent to George is absurd. One on one Paul George is the guy. 5 on 5 as the best player on the team, Paul George is the guy. Dray is only better as a guy who gets to ride coat tails.

If I’ve already picked a few guys who can score I would absolutely take Draymond over Geoerge.  If I still needed a scorer I could probably do better than George, but I would need to know who was available.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t follow much eastern conference hoops- but aren’t they missing two of their best 3 players right now in this series?  

Not really. Having Sabonis out is big. Lamb is easily replaceable and Tyreke was fucking atrocious for them. 

Regardless, I'm looking at what they have on the court and the results they are getting. Oladipo, Turner and TJ Warren should be able to buy a win off of a Heat team whose best player is a washed Jimmy Butler. The Heat shouldn't be sweeping anybody.

They are still sloppy on offense and undisciplined on defense. It's plain to see that Nate hasn't made any progress since 2 years ago when they should have sent LeBron home in 6 games and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. It's the same shitty brand of basketball.

And good fucking God can we stop with the braindead player comparisons? Draymond Green and Paul George are similar players? What the fuck are you smoking. Have you ever watched either of them play basketball?

There are 4 playoff games on every day. There is plenty relevant basketball to discuss. Christ.

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If I’ve already picked a few guys who can score I would absolutely take Draymond over Geoerge.  If I still needed a scorer I could probably do better than George, but I would need to know who was available.

Those two NBA players are at your local Y with you and the rest of the local talent. Each of them will be the best player on their respective team, but which one would you pick?

1 minute ago, Llogg said:

Those two NBA players are at your local Y with you and the rest of the local talent. Each of them will be the best player on their respective team, but which one would you pick?

Draymond would drain the souls of George and the scrubs around him. It would be ugly and might get stabby. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You're right, they have nothing in common except that:
- They're both excellent defenders both perimeter and interior, and can guard wings, slashers, and bigger guys down low
- They're both players that aren't great when forced to create their own shots but are great off the ball and excel with offensive firepower around them
- Neither needs to fill the stat sheet to contribute significantly
- They're both willing rebounders
- They're both excellent passers at the SF position
- They're both motor/hustle players
- They both have above average true shooting percentages despite not being gifted offensive players

In fact, the only real differences between them are that Draymond is a little bigger, and they trade assists for turnovers (George takes care of the ball a bit more). 

They're incredibly similar players. Don't give me that weak shit. 

And that stupid bullshit about "16 game players", that's cute and congratulations to you for watching Sportscenter or wherever you get your hot takes from. Why don't you tell me how Draymond did in his 16 games when he was the best player on his team this year? Because we've seen what happens when Paul George is the best player on his team; they made the conference finals. How did Dray's Warriors do this year? 16 GAMES!!!

You can disagree with me all you want that I'd rather have Draymond in the postseason than PG. That's fine. Difference of opinion is what this board is for.

But you have to be fucking kidding me that they're "incredibly similar" players. This may be worse than your Steph is better than LeBron take.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Llogg said:

George.  But I would give strong consideration to picking Draymond so he’s kicking the guys on the other team in the nuts. I want nothing to do with playing against Draymond in a pickup game. That’s not how the nba works though.  If I was the Knicks, I’d rather have George.  If I was the Bucks, I’d rather have Draymond.  Make sense?

I’ve been thinking a bit about the Sixers. They seriously need to deal either Embiid or Simmons. They might be the worst complementary stars I have ever seen on a team.

Was wondering if they could do something like Ben Simmons and Horford for Chris Paul and Steven Adams. A lineup of CP3, J Rich, T Harris, Embiid and Steven Adams could be nasty. CP3 would make them much better.

And on the other side, Schroder, SGA, Simmons, Gallo and Horford would be nice long-term. OKC would probably have to throw some of their 13 1st rounders into the deal.

Was also thinking Kyrie would be good on the Sixers. He could spread the floor which they desperately need. Then on the Nets you would have Simmons, LeVert, Joe Harris, Durant, and Jarrett Allen. That is plenty of shooting to complement Simmons. Talk about a long team.

8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

George.  But I would give strong consideration to picking Draymond so he’s kicking the guys on the other team in the nuts. I want nothing to do with playing against Draymond in a pickup game. That’s not how the nba works though.  If I was the Knicks, I’d rather have George.  If I was the Bucks, I’d rather have Draymond.  Make sense?

I understand the sentiment, but even then I disagree. Modern NBA values shooters above all else. If he's a plus wing defender all the better. Even on the Bucks I think PG is better value, especially at this point in their careers.

Yeah I can see the argument for prime Draymond. I will admit I just hate the way he plays the game, so that is coloring my argument.
I actually like his (and PG's) games. But he's the quintissential support player. Paul George has shown that he's not a championship level #1 guy, but he's at least capable of #1 guy status for a playoff team. A team where Draymond is your best player is a 20 win team. I'm not even stating opinion here. Both scenarios have actually taken place in real life.

31 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not really. Having Sabonis out is big. Lamb is easily replaceable and Tyreke was fucking atrocious for them. 

Regardless, I'm looking at what they have on the court and the results they are getting. Oladipo, Turner and TJ Warren should be able to buy a win off of a Heat team whose best player is a washed Jimmy Butler. The Heat shouldn't be sweeping anybody.

They are still sloppy on offense and undisciplined on defense. It's plain to see that Nate hasn't made any progress since 2 years ago when they should have sent LeBron home in 6 games and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. It's the same shitty brand of basketball.

And good fucking God can we stop with the braindead player comparisons? Draymond Green and Paul George are similar players? What the fuck are you smoking. Have you ever watched either of them play basketball?

There are 4 playoff games on every day. There is plenty relevant basketball to discuss. Christ.

Jimmy Butler is in no way washed lol. He’s gonna make an all NBA team this year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I understand the sentiment, but even then I disagree. Modern NBA values shooters above all else. If he's a plus wing defender all the better. Even on the Bucks I think PG is better value, especially at this point in their careers.

It depends on the team.  Would you rather have Karl Malone or Dennis Rodman on the 96-98 Bulls?  Malone was, without question, the better player, but Rodman was the better fit for that team.  Draymond, like Rodman, is a luxury item.  If all of your needs have been met, luxury items can be nice.  If I can’t pay the rent, I’d rather have George, because he can bring home enough money to help make sure we don’t get evicted.  If I’m chilling in a $5m mansion, Geoerge foesn’t do anything for me that I can’t do for myself, but Draymond improves my quality of life.

• Hook 'Em 1

Prime Draymond:
14.0 pts, 9.5 reb, 7.4 ast, 1.4 stl, 1.5 blk, 1.2 3s, 0.551 eFG%, 3.2 TO ... NBA DPOY, 2nd team all NBA, 7th MVP voting

Prime PG13:
28.0 pts, 8.2 reb, 4.1 ast, 2.2 stl, 0.4 blk, 3.8 3s, 0.529 eFG%, 2.7 TO ... 1st team all NBA, 1st team Def, 3rd MVP voting

To me the 7.4 assists from Draymond are what stands out. Also the fact that he doesn’t dominate the ball. I would much rather ply with him honestly. I hate playing with ball dominant perimeter players.

Both are great players.

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
14 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:
Jimmy Butler is in no way washed lol. He’s gonna make an all NBA team this year.

Yep. Easily a top 10 player

Ohhhh. I don’t think so man. This is about pet peeve of mine though. He’s clearly behind:

LBJ, Freak, Harden, AD, Leonard, Jokic, Luka, Dame. That’s the no doubt about it top 8 in the NBA this year. 

he doesn’t even belong in the same class as those guys so to say easily top 10 is no way the case. I’d take Paul, Westbrook, Embiid, Tatum over him this year. For me if he’s all NBA he’s like the last of my 15 picks. I would take him over George though. 

and that’s with KD, Steph and Klay our- and I’d take all those guys over Butler as well, heathy. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ohhhh. I don’t think so man. This is about pet peeve of mine though. He’s clearly behind:
LBJ, Freak, Harden, AD, Leonard, Jokic, Luka, Dame. That’s the no doubt about it top 8 in the NBA this year. 

he doesn’t even belong in the same class as those guys so to say easily top 10 is no way the case. I’d take Paul, Westbrook, Embiid, Tatum over him this year. For me if he’s all NBA he’s like the last of my 15 picks. I would take him over George though. 
Lol at taking embiid, jokic or Tatum over Jimmy Butler.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Lol at taking embiid, jokic or Tatum over Jimmy Butler.

I don’t think there’s a single human being paid to evaluate players that would take butler over Jokic. You are waaaaaay out in left field on that one, and to call it

LOL that Butler is obviously better is crazy town man. 
If you were drafting to start a franchise he goes last of those 4 guys on the board. Unless you just don’t like Embiid’s medicals. 

Prime Draymond:

14.0 pts, 9.5 reb, 7.4 ast, 1.4 stl, 1.5 blk, 1.2 3s, 0.551 eFG%, 3.2 TO ... NBA DPOY, 2nd team all NBA, 7th MVP voting

Prime PG13:

28.0 pts, 8.2 reb, 4.1 ast, 2.2 stl, 0.4 blk, 3.8 3s, 0.529 eFG%, 2.7 TO ... 1st team all NBA, 1st team Def, 3rd MVP voting

To me the 7.4 assists from Draymond are what stands out. Also the fact that he doesn’t dominate the ball. I would much rather ply with him honestly. I hate playing with ball dominant perimeter players.

Both are great players.

The guy doubles the other guy in scoring and you're going to take the 14ppg player because of 3.3 more assists (with more turnovers). Even if we ignore the fact that any human being with a pulse would have averaged 6 assists per game playing point forward with three of the best shooters ever, three assists does not make up for 14ppg in scoring.

And Paul George is not a perimeter player. He's a wing, sure, but he spends a lot of time slashing through the middle off ball, and banging in the post. Far more than most wings.

I'm not confident that many of you have actually seen Paul George play much.

I don’t think there’s a single human being paid to evaluate players that would take butler over Jokic. You are waaaaaay out in left field on that one, and to call it
LOL that Butler is obviously better is crazy town man. 
If you were drafting to start a franchise he goes last of those 4 guys on the board. Unless you just don’t like Embiid’s medicals. 

There is zero chance anyone associated with professional basketball would take Jayson Tatum or Embiid over Jimmy Butler. Shit is a joke, dude. Embiid is about to get swept with an extraordinarily talented roster while Butler is about to sweep his series with a bunch of short white dudes. Get outta here with that. I would entertain a Jokic argument, even if I disagreed but Embiid? Tatum? C'mon man.
  • Fuck You 1

Holy fuck your takes are awful. Those 3 guys are all clearly above Butler right now. Jokic is in a different tier. 

I mean, I can't make you watch and understand the game. Lot of regurgitation of ESPN hot takes here tonight. Watch basketball. If you don't want to do that, just look at all of the advanced stats. They show the same thing.

• Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

There is zero chance anyone associated with professional basketball would take Jayson Tatum or Embiid over Jimmy Butler. Shit is a joke, dude. Embiid is about to get swept with an extraordinarily talented roster while Butler is about to sweep his series with a bunch of short white dudes. Get outta here with that. I would entertain a Jokic argument, even if I disagreed but Embiid? Tatum? C'mon man.

There are a few folks who would take Tatum. 

Just now, BradInATX said:
2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:
There are a few folks who would take Tatum. 

Possibly. Yeah. I overstated a bit for emphasis. Tatum is younger with more upside. Butler is the clear better player today.

He’s also worn out his welcome to some degree on 3 different teams.  

• Like 1

He’s also worn out his welcome to some degree on 3 different teams.  

Absolutely. Not arguing otherwise. He's abrasive, bordering on cancerous. But when he is on the right squad before he wears out his welcome, he's an incredible player. I assume if we're ranking basketball players we're ranking them as basketball players, not Miss Congeniality.

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Absolutely. Not arguing otherwise. He's abrasive, bordering on cancerous. But when he is on the right squad before he wears out his welcome, he's an incredible player. I assume if we're ranking basketball players we're ranking them as basketball players, not Miss Congeniality.

Miss Congeniality matters in a team sport.  If your teammates hate you, it has an effect on wins/losses.

26 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

He’s probably more of a leader than all of them at this stage in their careers, but as a player?! That’s a wild take. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Scoring is the most overrated stat by far. Paul George scores a lot more than Draymond because he takes a ton more shots. PG13 is a better scorer but he wouldn’t get 28 PPG playing for the Warriors.

Yeah. Davis' shooting has been much improved in games 2 and 3. LeBron scoring well too. Blazers are going to need to find a few points somewhere.