2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

5 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

. . . serenity prayer, serenity prayer, serenity prayer . . . 

I thought the reffing was fine. And I hate the Lakers. Like fucking hate them. Portland played like shit. Nurkic was a joke and CJ made some mind-numbingly stupid decisions.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Whose sock is Brad? His wild ass takes followed quickly after by some condescending form of "you just don't understand basketball" feel incredibly familiar. But I can't put a finger on whom.

I hope he doesn't actually beleive the things he posts. Because I don't understand how a rational adult that understands basketball at virtually any level would come up with some of those conclusions. 

Giannis LBJ Leonard Harden Luka

Jokic AD Tatum Booker Dame

Embiid Siakam Butler Beal Paul

Gobert Vucevic Middleton Murray Mitchell

Not this year: KD Curry Klay Russ Kyrie George Simmons Zion Morant Ayton Porzingis 

Edited by cmontexas
Edited to add Vucevic and move KP to not this year

Whose sock is Brad? His wild ass takes followed quickly after by some condescending form of "you just don't understand basketball" feel incredibly familiar. But I can't put a finger on whom.

"Wild was takes" aka having an opinion different than the standard "I watch spoetscenter and am very smart at basketball" takes. It's pretty obvious that a good amount of you get almost all of your info from highlights and talking heads. I mean only four days ago there was a debate, which many of you treated as an actual legitimate discussion, as to whether Dame Lillard is better than Steph Curry.

Joel Embiid, Jokic, and Tatum are not better than Butler. I can't make you watch them play, but you can check the advanced stats, which show the same thing.

Draymond Green is not better rhan Paul George. Not a single one of you has even attempted to address the huge difference in success as the #1 guy on their team. Why don't you try to make a case instead of feigning shock that a poster is venturing out of your ESPN group think safe space? Having an opinion outside of the mainstream isn't "wild".

I've supported every one of my "wild ass takes" with real data. Try addressing that instead of bitching about the messenger.

7 hours ago, Llogg said:

I would take Tatum and jokic over butler, and quickly. Embiid, not so much. 

I am with you on this one.  I wouldn't think twice about those two, and Embiid would make me pause because of both health and mental fortitude/toughness reasons.  I just don't think he is taking his diet/health/conditioning as seriously as a star player needs to to thrive in this league.  His ceiling is still potentially really high, but yeah...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

"Wild was takes" aka having an opinion different than the standard "I watch spoetscenter and am very smart at basketball" takes. It's pretty obvious that a good amount of you get almost all of your info from highlights and talking heads. I mean only four days ago there was a debate, which many of you treated as an actual legitimate discussion, as to whether Dame Lillard is better than Steph Curry.

Joel Embiid, Jokic, and Tatum are not better than Butler. I can't make you watch them play, but you can check the advanced stats, which show the same thing.

Draymond Green is not better rhan Paul George. Not a single one of you has even attempted to address the huge difference in success as the #1 guy on their team. Why don't you try to make a case instead of feigning shock that a poster is venturing out of your ESPN group think safe space? Having an opinion outside of the mainstream isn't "wild".

I've supported every one of my "wild ass takes" with real data. Try addressing that instead of bitching about the messenger.

Literally not a single person on here actually argued that Dame was better than Steph. The closest anyone got was saying Dame is in an upper middle-class Steph.

I like Butler. Not as much as you--like George, there's no way he's a Top 10 player--but he's solid and has accomplished more than some younger players that are clearly better than him.

No doubt, as a #1, PG is a MUCH better option than Draymond, and it isn't close. That wasn't the argument. I don't want either as my team's best player. As a #2 or #3 in meaningful games, give me Draymond in his prime. I realize I'm in the minority on that, that's fine.

Your wild ass takes were Steph > LeBron*, and Paul George and Draymond Green are the same archetype of player. Those are both patently absurd. Which, again, I have no problem with you sharing those opinions. That's what makes message boards fun. But get the fuck out if here with things like "you guys just watch Sportscenter; I actually watch them play and know the sport." What absolute condescending horseshit.

*I hate blowing LeBron, and I hope the Lakers lose in embarrassing fashion, but through 3 playoff games at age 35, he has a 23-17-16 game and a 38-12-8 game on 18 shots. The other game his team won in a landslide. And no one cares because that's completely normal for him and what we've come to expect.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

I don't know, I think all advanced stats have some flaws, but sometimes you can glean a lot from the totality of the data and your own admittedly subjective eye tests.  There is also the context of this particular season and other variables such as rosters, coaching, injuries, and such, but you try and do what you can with a reasonable sample size.  I mean, with the four players mentioned this season:

VORP: Jokic (#5), Butler (#9), Tatum (#11), Embiid (Not in Top 20)

PER: Embiid (#7), Jokic (#10), Butler (#12), Tatum (Not in Top 20)

Offensive Rating: Butler (#13), none of the other three are in Top 20

Defensive Rating: Embiid (#11), Tatum (#18), other two not Top 20

BPM: Jokic (#7), Butler (#9), Embiid (#11), Tatum (#16)

W/S per 48: Butler (#9), Jokic (#15), Embiid (#19), Tatum out of Top 20

I don't think anyone can easily and definitely say that Player A is clearly better than Player B but that's just me.  My personal opinion is that Butler is and has always been (after some years in the league) a Tier 2 star player, but is not quite the same defensive player, at least recently.  Embiid has a very high ceiling, but his conditioning and health are just big red flags.  I'd personally right now take Tatum over the other players even if they were all the same age based on skill set/ceiling.  This is admittedly a subjective eye test thing in which I see flashes of things from him that I think can translate to a higher potential over time.  I have this same eye test at times (so it can be flawed) with superstar players too.  For example, I have no issue with arguing Kawhi is the best player in the world possibly right now, but I've never once in my life seen him play and thought that he could ever equal LeBron James in his prime.  A few times, I have seen Durant play at a very high level and I think if only he had the court vision (this helps both on defense and with passing) to match his other skill sets...maybe he could be a Top 10 all-time no doubter type.  (I still think he has a shot)

Edited by UTDD
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Your wild ass takes were Steph > LeBron*, and Paul George and Draymond Green are the same archetype of player. Those are both patently absurd. Which, again, I have no problem with you sharing those opinions. That's what makes message boards fun. But get the fuck out if here with things like "you guys just watch Sportscenter; I actually watch them play and know the sport." What absolute condescending horseshit.

I didn't say Steph was > LeBron. And Paul George and Draymond are absolutely the same archetype of player. I gave you an entire list of reasons why, and you came back with "well, that's just like, your opinion, man", which is a losing argument especially when you're calling my opinions, that I've backed up with substance, "absurd". Weak shit.

16 minutes ago, UTDD said:

I don't know, I think all advanced stats have some flaws, but sometimes you can glean a lot from the totality of the data and your own admittedly subjective eye tests.  There is also the context of this particular season and other variables such as rosters, coaching, injuries, and such, but you try and do what you can with a reasonable sample size.  I mean, with the four players mentioned this season:

VORP: Jokic (#5), Butler (#9), Tatum (#11), Embiid (Not in Top 20)

PER: Embiid (#7), Jokic (#10), Butler (#12), Tatum (Not in Top 20)

Offensive Rating: Butler (#13), none of the other three are in Top 20

Defensive Rating: Embiid (#11), Tatum (#18), other two not Top 20

BPM: Jokic (#7), Butler (#9), Embiid (#11), Tatum (#16)

W/S per 48: Butler (#9), Jokic (#15), Embiid (#19), Tatum out of Top 20

I don't think anyone can easily and definitely say that Player A is clearly better than Player B but that's just me.  My personal opinion is that Butler is and has always been (after some years in the league) a Tier 2 star player, but is not quite the same defensive player, at least recently.  Embiid has a very high ceiling, but his conditioning and health are just big red flags.  I'd personally right now take Tatum over the other players even if they were all the same age based on skill set/ceiling.  This is admittedly a subjective eye test thing in which I see flashes of things from him that I think can translate to a higher potential over time.  I have this same eye test at times (so it can be flawed) with superstar players too.  For example, I have no issue with arguing Kawhi is the best player in the world possibly right now, but I've never once in my life seen him play and thought that he could ever equal LeBron James in his prime.  A few times, I have seen Durant play at a very high level and I think if only had the court vision (this helps both on defense and with passing) to match his other skill sets...maybe he could be a Top 10 all-time no doubter type.  (I still think he has a shot)

Very fair, and great post. Appreciate the thought out reply. We're probably defining our tiers somewhat similarly, but I'd call my tier 2 as "players that won't win you a title as your #1 guy, but would be a ridiculous 2nd best asset". That makes tier 1 a pretty short list: Curry, Leonard, LeBron, Harden, Durant, Davis. And even Davis, Harden, Durant, and LeBron might be tier 1.5 at this point as none but LeBron have won a ring as the top guy and LeBron is starting to show age.  

Given that, yeah I agree that Butler is tier 2, and I'd put Jokic there. I'd put Embiid lower (I guess tier 3 or whatever), and Tatum is somewhere in between - need to see a consistent upward trajectory as his career has been a bit up and down. I think he's going to be a great player.  The advanced stats pretty well stratify those players into two tiers (Butler/Joker and Tatum/Embiid), especially when you dump PER, which is a worthless stat.

End of the day Jimmy Butler is pretty well underrated by almost every casual watcher. He's not in Boston or Philly, and he's not a big goofy white guy with intangibles that your casual white male basketball fan loves to root for. So your casual ESPN fan that watches their team and maybe catches a national game every now and then doesn't get much exposure to him. But he's a clear cut above Tatum and Embiid, at the very least. Like I said, an argument between Jokic and Butler is reasonable, but I'm taking Butler. This is all assuming we're talking about present tense, one season, today.. If we're talking "starting a franchise" draft, I'm probably taking Tatum, because of his upside and youth (Jokic's body/injuries concern me for his long-term some). But that's a whole different discussion.

Edited by BradInATX

15 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Very fair, and great post. Appreciate the thought out reply. We're probably defining our tiers somewhat similarly, but I'd call my tier 2 as "players that won't win you a title as your #1 guy, but would be a ridiculous 2nd best asset". That makes tier 1 a pretty short list: Curry, Leonard, LeBron, Harden, Durant, Davis. And even Davis, Harden, Durant, and LeBron might be tier 1.5 at this point as none but LeBron have won a ring as the top guy and LeBron is starting to show age.  

Given that, yeah I agree that Butler is tier 2, and I'd put Jokic there. I'd put Embiid lower (I guess tier 3 or whatever), and Tatum is somewhere in between - need to see a consistent upward trajectory as his career has been a bit up and down. I think he's going to be a great player.  The advanced stats pretty well stratify those players into two tiers (Butler/Joker and Tatum/Embiid), especially when you dump PER, which is a worthless stat.

End of the day Jimmy Butler is pretty well underrated by almost every casual watcher. He's not in Boston or Philly, and he's not a big goofy white guy with intangibles that your casual white male basketball fan loves to root for. So your casual ESPN fan that watches their team and maybe catches a national game every now and then doesn't get much exposure to him. But he's a clear cut above Tatum and Embiid, at the very least. Like I said, an argument between Jokic and Butler is reasonable, but I'm taking Butler. This is all assuming we're talking about present tense, one season, today.. If we're talking "starting a franchise" draft, I'm probably taking Tatum, because of his upside and youth (Jokic's body/injuries concern me for his long-term some). But that's a whole different discussion.

What does race have to do with anything?

2 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

What does race have to do with anything?

I mean, my post made it pretty clear. White dudes like watching the scrappy white dude basketball player. I literally spelled it out in my post.

But, I'm familiar with your work and I 'm aware that you're looking for a political debate, in which case I'd direct you to the Cloak Room.

Edited by BradInATX

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I mean, my post made it pretty clear. White dudes like watching the scrappy white dude basketball player. I literally spelled it out in my post.

But, I'm familiar with your work and I 'm aware that you're looking for a political debate, in which case I'd direct you to the Cloak Room.

I'm familiar with your dumbass takes as are the rest of us. And since you are the one injecting race into your sports posts, maybe you need to check out the cloak room. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, immortal13 said:

I'm familiar with your dumbass takes as are the rest of us. And since you are the one injecting race into your sports posts, maybe you need to check out the cloak room. 

So being that this is the basketball board, were you going to talk basketball at all? Any thoughts on what we're discussing, outside of attempting to turn the discussion political? 

Edited by BradInATX

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

So being that this is the basketball board, were you going to talk basketball at all? Any thoughts on what we're discussing, outside of attempting to turn the discussion political? 

You tell me. Again, you are the one injecting race into the basketball board. Good job, bro

11 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

You tell me. Again, you are the one injecting race into the basketball board. Good job, bro

There is only one person on this thread not talking basketball. Let me know when you want to do that. Otherwise take your bitch ass to the CR.

Edited by BradInATX

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

Not really. Having Sabonis out is big. Lamb is easily replaceable and Tyreke was fucking atrocious for them. 

Regardless, I'm looking at what they have on the court and the results they are getting. Oladipo, Turner and TJ Warren should be able to buy a win off of a Heat team whose best player is a washed Jimmy Butler. The Heat shouldn't be sweeping anybody.

They are still sloppy on offense and undisciplined on defense. It's plain to see that Nate hasn't made any progress since 2 years ago when they should have sent LeBron home in 6 games and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. It's the same shitty brand of basketball.

And good fucking God can we stop with the braindead player comparisons? Draymond Green and Paul George are similar players? What the fuck are you smoking. Have you ever watched either of them play basketball?

There are 4 playoff games on every day. There is plenty relevant basketball to discuss. Christ.

Jimmy Butler is not by any means washed and the Heat have a GREAT roster of talented players that fit the system they run.   They are a better team than IND especially without Sabonis and Oladipo still working his way back.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BradInATX said:
13 hours ago, Llogg said:
Yeah I can see the argument for prime Draymond. I will admit I just hate the way he plays the game, so that is coloring my argument.

I actually like his (and PG's) games. But he's the quintissential support player. Paul George has shown that he's not a championship level #1 guy, but he's at least capable of #1 guy status for a playoff team. A team where Draymond is your best player is a 20 win team. I'm not even stating opinion here. Both scenarios have actually taken place in real life.

PG hasnt been a #1 guy on a playoff team in like 5 yrs.   And yeah Dray was the best player on GSW this yr but the rest of the team was barely G league guys.    That isnt on Draymond.   GSW had absolutely no desire to win more than the 20 gms they did.     While I do think PG is a better #2 than Draymond, as so many have stated it would depend on the construction of the roster outside of them.

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I didn't say Steph was > LeBron. And Paul George and Draymond are absolutely the same archetype of player. I gave you an entire list of reasons why, and you came back with "well, that's just like, your opinion, man", which is a losing argument especially when you're calling my opinions, that I've backed up with substance, "absurd". Weak shit.

You absolutely did say peak Steph was better  than peak LBJ and "easily" better than Hakeem.   Both of which are absurd.

10 hours ago, Llogg said:

I would take Tatum and jokic over butler, and quickly. Embiid, not so much. 

If you were building a team from scratch you’d take Embiid if you had much sense. There’s about 10 guys with the talent to be able to be the unquestioned best player on a championship team. Embiid is one and Butler isn’t. The NBA is an upside league because the superstars are so much more important than the other guys. Look at Morey in Houston and his obsession with star hinting for example. 
now- I think Embiid has a 10 cent head and won’t get there, but he’s young and has nba finals MVP upside. Butler doesn’t. 

10 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Giannis LBJ Leonard Harden Luka

Jokic AD Tatum Booker Dame

Embiid Siakam Butler Beal Paul

Gobert Vucevic Middleton Murray Mitchell

Not this year: KD Curry Klay Russ Kyrie George Simmons Zion Morant Ayton Porzingis 

Pretty good 4 deep all nba. I think you have Russ and Simmons a hair too low but that’s personal preference for me and yours is not an unreasonable take. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If you were building a team from scratch you’d take Embiid if you had much sense. There’s about 10 guys with the talent to be able to be the unquestioned best player on a championship team. Embiid is one and Butler isn’t. The NBA is an upside league because the superstars are so much more important than the other guys. Look at Morey in Houston and his obsession with star hinting for example. 
now- I think Embiid has a 10 cent head and won’t get there, but he’s young and has nba finals MVP upside. Butler doesn’t. 

Embiid on paper has the talent I suppose.   In function he is a joke.   His lack of care for his body and his attitude that he is great without putting in the work knock him down.   He cannot be the #1 on a title team especially in today's perimeter based game.

• Like 1

I mean you're welcome to die on the embiid talent hill just like the entire Sixers front office and Brett Brown did. Eventually a player is who he is. Health aside, embiid lacks the intangibles to be a top tier player. How many years do we have to wait for him to put it together? The jury comes back pretty quickly on NBA players. Especially bigs. He is what he is.

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
7 minutes ago, d2o said:
You absolutely did say peak Steph was better  than peak LBJ and "easily" better than Hakeem.   Both of which are absurd.

Steph's record season was better than Lebrons best season. It's not even a debate. It's objective fact.

so now you did say Steph was better than LBJ?   Which is it man?

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Dude you so want the Lakers to crash and burn.  It’s comical.

Of course I do. But what does it tell you that they won by 15 and I thought they played awful? Does that mean I think they are a bad team? Think critically here.

8 minutes ago, d2o said:

Embiid on paper has the talent I suppose.   In function he is a joke.   His lack of care for his body and his attitude that he is great without putting in the work knock him down.   He cannot be the #1 on a title team especially in today's perimeter based game.

Yeah man- I said 10 cent head and I don’t think He’d get there, but if you stopped Hakeem’s career at 30 years old people would have spoken of him a lot like they speak of Embiid (other than the fat part). 
Now- most people don’t have it all click into place like Hakeem when they grow up, but you can at least see that as possible for him someday, whereas Butler can drag a normal team to a 9 seed or a really talented ensemble team to a 4 seed. There’s no upside or title chance in that, and combine it with the fact that he’s a dickhead that grated on people and there’s no way in hell I have any interest in the Jimmy Buckets experience. 
Hard pass. He’s just not talented enough. We know what he is. Also- he clearly doesn’t give a shot about winning a title or he’d have stayed in philly or gone to houston (with Paul, before the Westbrook trade). Instead he picked Miami where he could be the clear number 1 and top out at “getting buttfucked in the Eastern finals if you get really really lucky.”

• Hook 'Em 1

It still cracks me up that Dame tried to dunk on AD last night. I get that, once you gather in the paint you're pretty much committed, and it's pretty damn difficult to just audible into a full-speed floater...but that attempt literally could have gone no other way.

But somehow it makes me respect Dame even more. Just like the big men who still try to block someone like Mitchell or LeBron, they're willing to risk getting posterized for the slight chance of helping out their team.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah man- I said 10 cent head and I don’t think He’d get there, but if you stopped Hakeem’s career at 30 years old people would have spoken of him a lot like they speak of Embiid (other than the fat part). 
Now- most people don’t have it all click into place like Hakeem when they grow up, but you can at least see that as possible for him someday, whereas Butler can drag a normal team to a 9 seed or a really talented ensemble team to a 4 seed. There’s no upside or title chance in that, and combine it with the fact that he’s a dickhead that grated on people and there’s no way in hell I have any interest in the Jimmy Buckets experience. 
Hard pass. He’s just not talented enough. We know what he is. Also- he clearly doesn’t give a shot about winning a title or he’d have stayed in philly or gone to houston (with Paul, before the Westbrook trade). Instead he picked Miami where he could be the clear number 1 and top out at “getting buttfucked in the Eastern finals if you get really really lucky.”

I’m going to file that away for future use.

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

It still cracks me up that Dame tried to dunk on AD last night. I get that, once you gather in the paint you're pretty much committed, and it's pretty damn difficult to just audible into a full-speed floater...but that attempt literally could have gone no other way.

But somehow it makes me respect Dame even more. Just like the big men who still try to block someone like Mitchell or LeBron, they're willing to risk getting posterized for the slight chance of helping out their team.

On one hand I feel bad that he's stuck with CJ. CJ's like a poor man's Dumars. On the other, Dame makes a big deal about staying where he was drafted and not joining a "superteam". We'll see if that shtick lasts. I'd like to see him win one. I don't think he's going to with this team and coach. LMA is still the best player he's played with and LMA was probably never a top 10 guy. Nurkic was embarassing last night.

(Dame isn't without fault though - swap him with KD or Curry and this series is 2-1 in the other direction)

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m going to file that away for future use.

Have at it man. I could be wrong. It happens a lot. But the thing Miami has a pretty good team around him. It’s not quite 04 pistons but it’s a hell of a lot better than what Dames got to work with in Portland right now- or a couple of the knives Harden brought to a gun fight against Golden State 4 of the last 5 years or something like that. But it’s a team lacking title level upside. 
If Jimmy Buckets was as good as the freak Miami would be so so so much better. I’d take the rest of Miami’s roster over the rest of Milwaukee’s roster every single time. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

On one hand I feel bad that he's stuck with CJ. CJ's like a poor man's Dumars. On the other, Dame makes a big deal about staying where he was drafted and not joining a "superteam". We'll see if that shtick lasts. I'd like to see him win one. I don't think he's going to with this team and coach. LMA is still the best player he's played with and LMA was probably never a top 10 guy. Nurkic was embarassing last night.

(Dame isn't without fault though - swap him with KD or Curry and this series is 2-1 in the other direction)

A very poor man

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Have at it man. I could be wrong. It happens a lot. But the thing Miami has a pretty good team around him. It’s not quite 04 pistons but it’s a hell of a lot better than what Dames got to work with in Portland right now- or a couple of the knives Harden brought to a gun fight against Golden State 4 of the last 5 years or something like that. But it’s a team lacking title level upside. 
If Jimmy Buckets was as good as the freak Miami would be so so so much better. I’d take the rest of Miami’s roster over the rest of Milwaukee’s roster every single time. 

I meant that I am going to steal your line and use it myself when the opportunity arises.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You're overrating Miami's roster because Spo is still one of the best coaches in the NBA. Give that team another coach and I'm not sure they are the 5 seed - they certainly aren't up 3-0 on Indy. 

I mean, 04 Pistons? Let's tap the breaks. Jimmy is the only guy on the Heat that would have started for that team. I also don't think it's "a lot better" than what Dame has. Again, let Spo figure this Blazers team out and they are much more dangerous. I don't think Stotts adds much value just like I don't think McMillan does in Indy. 

Nets and Sixers should work out a trade for Simmons. Levert/Dinwiddie/Jordan for Simmons is a win for both sides

Embiid Harris Richardson Levert Dinwiddie

With Horford Thybulle Korkmas Milton off the bench

The Nets is a fucking death lineup

Allen Simmons KD Harris Kyrie

Simmons creating shots for three 40% long range shooters would be unstoppable. Kyrie probably fucks it up though

1 minute ago, cmontexas said:

Nets and Sixers should work out a trade for Simmons. Levert/Dinwiddie/Jordan for Simmons is a win for both sides

Simmons creating shots for three 40% long range shooters would be unstoppable. Kyrie probably fucks it up though

Interesting in theory. I'm guessing BKN wants to see what they have with their current experiment before adding another moving part. KD is an elite guy to have running the offense - or running it through him. Simmons may or may not add much that Lavert and Kyrie can playing off Durant. 

3 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Almost always bet on Uncle Drew fucking it up. 

The Heat won 39 games last year. And that was with Whiteside, J Rich and a few other guys. That roster is dog shit without Butler.

With you on the Bucks. Their non-Giannis roster is grossly overrated.