2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I thought Giannis would have more than 18 points and 12 fg attempts. 

Maybe he's still not ready to win.

He had a bad game but I do think Miami is the one team in the east that has enough awkward bodies to give him the toughest matchup. Plus when Miami is hitting their 3s they’re tough to beat

There aren't many players in the league that would be #1 to Butler's #2.  But yeah, if they got a second star, they'd be a top 3 team. They have almost all of the pieces. Good coaching, defense, shooting, etc. They just need a second creator on offense. I'm not even convinced it needs to be a top-tier guy. Fringe all-star type is probably enough to make them a contender.

Edited by BradInATX

5 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

If they can bring in a player better than butler and have butler be their #2 guy with Bam and the rest of these young guys, they’re going to be a problem in the East 

That will be tough. Butler is a damn good player. You'd have to bring in top notch superstar for Butler to be the #2. I think they just need someone to really complement him. They have a good team right now but I don't think they are there yet to really compete. I still think the Bucks get on track and win this series. But without Wade there, I enjoy watching the Heat

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm more and more impressed by Adebayo every time I watch him. With the trajectory he's on, he could be good enough to be one of the three best players on a championship team. And Herro is really impressive for a rookie. Their best days are definitely ahead of them. Not that they won't give the bucks a run for their money in this series. That's a salty ass team with Butler, Crowder, Dragic and Iguodala along with their young guys. Really like how the heat have rebuilt. 

Oh, and if OKC wins this series, even if he retires without a title, it should cement for everybody how fucking great CP is and has been for almost 15 years. If he could have just stayed healthy in 2018 he probably has that ring, too. Just unfortunately has played in a pretty brutal era for making the Finals in the West (not that he's without fault for not getting there yet).

Tonight he had 28 points on 10/20 shooting when they needed it - despite not being a consistent #1 scoring option for this team - and in a game where both teams had 19+ turnovers and combined for 41 total Chris Paul had ZERO. And he played 40 minutes. He's fucking 35 years old. *he had 3 steals too

Probably one of the best 10 games of his career considering the circumstances/context.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Brilliant strategy by OKC down the stretch. Deny Harden the ball and lay off Westbrook so that it ended up in his hands and watch him shoot himself in the dick. 

Man they did deny him the call at first but Harden was playing hot potato with the ball late and not even trying to get the ball on those last few possessions.

That’s a bad look for harden. And CO3 clearly took a shot at him with the “some oriole shine and some people shy away” line. Harden shouldn’t have let Westbrook have the ball on all those possessions to end. Even if OKC was denying him the ball they can’t keep it from him the entire shot clock.

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Better yet, imagine if they had Lou Williams, Patrick Beverly, Montrezl Harrell, about 50 draft picks and an assload of cap space instead of either of them. 

This argument is so tired. They weren't gonna win with that team, nobody wins a championship with their 6-7-8-9 guys. You need at least a superstar 1-2 punch to have a chance, and they were fucking close that first year with CP3. If not for injury, they might have edged GS. Those other guys weren't the leadership and defensive difference maker this team needed, CP3 was. Westbrook has been hurt and missed the first 4 games, which was funny enough, the big knock on CP3. Should be an interesting Game 7 either way. 

5 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

This argument is so tired. They weren't gonna win with that team, nobody wins a championship with their 6-7-8-9 guys. You need at least a superstar 1-2 punch to have a chance, and they were fucking close that first year with CP3. If not for injury, they might have edged GS. Those other guys weren't the leadership and defensive difference maker this team needed, CP3 was. Westbrook has been hurt and missed the first 4 games, which was funny enough, the big knock on CP3. Should be an interesting Game 7 either way. 

It's also about the opportunity cost. What else could Morey have made out of all those assets and cap space? Jimmy Butler? Paul George? All those picks and swaps that they had to use to dump CP3's contract are going to be an albatross for years. Not to mention that those were three of the best contracts in the league. 

And in what world would Lou Williams or Montrezl Harrell be the 6-9 guys on your team? Just because they come off the bench for the Clippers doesn't mean they aren't the third and fourth best players on that team. Yes, you need superstars but you also need to surround them with great players on cheap contracts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It's also about the opportunity cost. What else could Morey have made out of all those assets and cap space? Jimmy Butler? Paul George? All those picks and swaps that they had to use to dump CP3's contract are going to be an albatross for years. Not to mention that those were three of the best contracts in the league. 
And in what world would Lou Williams or Montrezl Harrell be the 6-9 guys on your team? Just because they come off the bench for the Clippers doesn't mean they aren't the third and fourth best players on that team. Yes, you need superstars but you also need to surround them with great players on cheap contracts. 
I don't think there were a lot of options on the table for what the Rockets needed. And I doubt the Pacers or Bulls make that trade at the time. Trez was not worth anything near what he is now, Bev and Lou were at the end of their cheap deals, and FRPs are a crapshoot. Considering the Pacers turned down Kyrie for PG, I don't think they go for that deal unless they are forced.

Remember the deal for CP3 only happened because he negotiated it, declined a trade kicker, and told the clips he wouldn't re-sign with them for less than a 5 year max. CP3 forced that trade into being, against NBA rules, but we know those don't matter. It was worth a shot, just like Toronto with Kawhi, LA with PG, Boston with Kyrie and LA with AD. Nothing is guaranteed to get you a ring, but superstars sure do help a lot.

Remember when Eric Gordon's contract was one of the best deals in the sport?

Dude is shooting 18.6% on threes this series but still taking over 7 per game.

That's 8 for 43 for those of you doing the math at home. I get that Houston doesn't really have a backup plan and that  shooters shoot, but holy shit.

14 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

That will be tough. Butler is a damn good player. You'd have to bring in top notch superstar for Butler to be the #2. I think they just need someone to really complement him. They have a good team right now but I don't think they are there yet to really compete. I still think the Bucks get on track and win this series. But without Wade there, I enjoy watching the Heat

What if they got... wait for it... Giannis? Do we really think Giannis is resigning with the Bucks? Unless they win a championship, i think he’s out. Why not Miami.

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

What if they got... wait for it... Giannis? Do we really think Giannis is resigning with the Bucks? Unless they win a championship, i think he’s out. Why not Miami.

Why just cause its MIA?    The stuff about him leaving seems way overplayed.

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

Why just cause its MIA?    The stuff about him leaving seems way overplayed.

Not just Miami, but i chose Miami because they seem like they’re one of the best ball movement/three point shooting teams in the league. Same idea as what KD had, except he wouldn’t get criticized for joining a 73 win team. They would compliment his strengths really well. And yes, I would imagine a professional athlete would rather call Miami their home instead of Milwaukee. My main thing is i just don’t see him staying in Milwaukee long term because that seems like a team (along with a handful of other teams) that are going to have a hard time keeping superstars 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

6 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Not just Miami, but i chose Miami because they seem like they’re one of the best ball movement/three point shooting teams in the league. Same idea as what KD had, except he wouldn’t get criticized for joining a 73 win team. They would compliment his strengths really well. And yes, I would imagine a professional athlete would rather call Miami their home instead of Milwaukee. My main thing is i just don’t see him staying in Milwaukee long term because that seems like a team (along with a handful of other teams) that are going to have a hard time keeping superstars 

I think he is a little different than a lot of pro athletes given where he came from.     He seems to be more loyal.   That could change but it would be a surprise to me.  More importantly, if they lose to MIA and he goes and joins them then yeah he should get the same criticism as KD did.   That would be a bitch move.

Edited by d2o

I think Greek resigns with the Bucks but on a short term contract.  COVID is going to have an impact on the cap for a couple of years so why lock in to a max if you're a top 10 player?  Injury risk, sure.  But KD had about as bad an injury as possible without sawing off a limb and still got his max deal.  I think Greek will do something like a 2+1 or the like.

4 minutes ago, d2o said:

I think he is a little different than a lot of pro athletes given where he came from.     He seems to be more loyal.   That could change but it would be a surprise to me.  More importantly, if they lose to MIA and he goes and joins them then yeah he should get the same criticism as KD did.   That would be a bitch move.

Not even remotely close to the same thing IMO. Miami is an over achieving team who has no real shot at winning a title. Also, the bucks aren’t going to lose to the heat. Or at least they shouldn’t. The warriors had already won a title and had the best regular season in the history of the league. We don’t need to rehash this again, but that’s on a very short list of biggest bitch move in sports history, and he knows it

Edited by youdunnf'dup

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Not even remotely close to the same thing IMO. Miami is an over achieving team who has no real shot at winning a title. The warriors had already won a title and had the best regular season in the history of the league. We don’t need to rehash this again, but that’s on a very short list of biggest bitch move in sports history, and he knows it

Joining the team that just beat you is a bitch move.    I dont care how good or bad anyone thinks MIA is.

Just now, youdunnf'dup said:

I made an edit to my post. The bucks aren’t losing this series. If they did, that would be a HUGE stain on Giannis’ legacy. I just don’t see that happening.

I dont think they will either and yeah it would be a pretty bad mark.    Especially if he plays out the series like he did in game 1.    He was really bad.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

I dont think they will either and yeah it would be a pretty bad mark.    Especially if he plays out the series like he did in game 1.    He was really bad.

I do think some of that has to do with Miami though. They have a weird collection of guys that they can throw at Giannis and bother him. That’s been the case in all 4 meetings between the 2 teams.

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I do think some of that has to do with Miami though. They have a weird collection of guys that they can throw at Giannis and bother him. That’s been the case in all 4 meetings between the 2 teams.

No question.   MIA made him bad.   Jimmy, Crowder, Iggy, and even Bam can spend time on him and give him some trouble.    More though, they have two of them on the floor at all times   so he can force a switch but end up with another good defender on him.     He has to be more aggressive though.  Once he got those 3 fouls he was tentative and shooting too many jumpers.    12 shots is not nearly enough from him.   He cannot waste good games like Middleton and Lopez had.    They have to win games when he gets 50 from those two.

47 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Do we really think Giannis is resigning with the Bucks?

Yes. He's going to sign a supermax and not think twice about it. 

13 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Not even remotely close to the same thing IMO. Miami is an over achieving team who has no real shot at winning a title. Also, the bucks aren’t going to lose to the heat. Or at least they shouldn’t. The warriors had already won a title and had the best regular season in the history of the league. We don’t need to rehash this again, but that’s on a very short list of biggest bitch move in sports history, and he knows it

KD had wayyyy more playoff success than Giannis when he joined the Ws. He also had absolute cancer to deal with as his 2nd option. And a cheap FO. 

Going to the Ws was a bitch move but leaving OKC wasn't. KD didn't owe anything to them when he left.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

KD had wayyyy more playoff success than Giannis when he joined the Ws. He also had absolute cancer to deal with as his 2nd option. And a cheap FO. 

Going to the Ws was a bitch move but leaving OKC wasn't. KD didn't owe anything to them when he left.

Correct.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I’ve always agreed with the bolded part, 100%. He didn’t owe shit to OKC. Just don’t go to the one team where... you know where I’m going. Don’t need to rehash again. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Russ's performance post-KD is all the ammo you need to build the case for KD.  Guy can't win, regardless of what happens here.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Russ's performance post-KD is all the ammo you need to build the case for KD.  Guy can't win, regardless of what happens here.

I can’t imagine how thunder fans feel right now. CP3 is clearly a better player than Russ, and probably always has been (definitely always has been, actually). They’re seeing it first hand this year. He’s most OKC fans all time favorite player

• Hook 'Em 1