2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

20 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I can’t imagine how thunder fans feel right now. CP3 is clearly a better player than Russ, and probably always has been (definitely always has been, actually). They’re seeing it first hand this year. He’s most OKC fans all time favorite player

The problems with CP3 are his contract, age and durability. I don't think it's an accident that he had a four month layoff and for the first time in forever is healthy in the playoffs. Of course, we're only in the first round so it's still TBD. Nobody wanted to sign up to pay him $115 million for this year and the next two when he can't make it through a playoff run healthy.

And then there's the fact that he's a giant cunt. Never forget what a grating, annoying bitch of a teammate he's been. This OKC team appears to be a good fit for him because they are young and he can be as big of a domineering prick as he wants. That shit didn't fly in LA or Houston, and keep in mind he's still in year one with this group.

• Like 1

This Boston Toronto game two is one of the most interesting games of the playoffs for me so far. Game 1 did not go at all how I expected and now I'm left to wonder if Toronto is one of those good regular season teams that has too big of a talent gap to go deep in the playoffs. I don't think that's the case but game 1 was rough.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The problems with CP3 are his contract, age and durability. I don't think it's an accident that he had a four month layoff and for the first time in forever is healthy in the playoffs. Of course, we're only in the first round so it's still TBD. Nobody wanted to sign up to pay him $115 million for this year and the next two when he can't make it through a playoff run healthy.

And then there's the fact that he's a giant cunt. Never forget what a grating, annoying bitch of a teammate he's been. This OKC team appears to be a good fit for him because they are young and he can be as big of a domineering prick as he wants. That shit didn't fly in LA or Houston, and keep in mind he's still in year one with this group.

I'm kinda wondering why none of those teams tried to talk him into taking the Kawhi route and play around 50 games to make sure he was fresh for the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Marcus Smart has hit 5 3s in the first 5 minutes of the 4th quarter.

This bubble shit is fucking stupid at times.

For as entertaining as it’s been, i can’t take any of these offensive numbers seriously at all. Can’t take the Luka records seriously, can’t take the Jamal Murray records seriously. Clearly no fans is a huge difference. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

For as entertaining as it’s been, i can’t take any of these offensive numbers seriously at all. Can’t take the Luka records seriously, can’t take the Jamal Murray records seriously. Clearly no fans is a huge difference. 

It's not just no fans. The depth perception is different - i.e. they aren't shooting at a basket "floating" in front of an arena crowd - they are shooting on the same rims/baskets every night, they aren't traveling so they are probably sleeping better and have more rested legs.

I've said it upthread - it doesn't necessarily bother me from a competitive standpoint, since it's not like either team has an edge (although no home court advantage definitely benefits the lower seeds) but as far as the offensive numbers go, I don't think any of this shit should really "count". At the very least it should be asterisked or accounted for when revisiting this season. 

They just flashed that Murray is the first player since AI to have 3 straight 40 point playoff games. He has the most points over 3 playoff games since MJ in 1988. Before this series, only 3 players had had two 50 point games in the same series. Now 5 have.

I mean come the fuck on...

4 hours ago, BradInATX said:

This Boston Toronto game two is one of the most interesting games of the playoffs for me so far. Game 1 did not go at all how I expected and now I'm left to wonder if Toronto is one of those good regular season teams that has too big of a talent gap to go deep in the playoffs. I don't think that's the case but game 1 was rough.

They have plenty of talent but they don’t have a real #1. That gets exposed in the playoffs.

• Like 1

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

They have plenty of talent but they don’t have a real #1. That gets exposed in the playoffs.

Yeah, I guess that's sort of what I was trying to say. They have a lot of good talent but you almost always need elite talent to win a ring, and I don't think they have that yet. I was starting to entertain the notion that maybe they could be like the mid 2000s pistons, but it's not looking good for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, I guess that's sort of what I was trying to say. They have a lot of good talent but you almost always need elite talent to win a ring, and I don't think they have that yet. I was starting to entertain the notion that maybe they could be like the mid 2000s pistons, but it's not looking good for them.

They don't have anyone on that team as good as Billups or Big Ben. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

They don't have anyone on that team as good as Billups or Big Ben. 

Agreed. Siakam might get there. But he's a huge question mark for me. One of the most enigmatic players out there. I can't decide if he's a future superstar or a forever "pretty good player who occasionally flashes". I also really like FVV. But Billups was one of the more underrated players of his era. Actually, almost that whole Pistons teams save Sheed was underrated.

Edited by BradInATX

I know it’s a tough call, but I swear to god the block/charge call pisses me off more than any call in sports when i think they’re wrong. More than PI in football, more then balls and strikes in baseball. Something about the charge/block call just sticks out to me. I think they’re guessing sometimes 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

9 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I know it’s a tough call, but I swear to god the block/charge call pisses me off more than any call in sports when i think they’re wrong. More than PI in football, more then balls and strikes in baseball. Something about the charge/block call just sticks out to me. I think they’re guessing sometimes 

I thought it was a good block call. Ingles was a little late and then leaned into him. 

And this is one of the best NBA games I've seen in a long time. Funny how it's also low scoring. Maybe it's refreshing.

6 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Denver scored 25 points in the final 22 minutes of the game and won. Try and wrap your head around that. 

15 in the last 14* minutes.

They straight up didn't score from 1:47 in the 3rd quarter to 7:28 in the 4th quarter. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chapo said:

538 now has Celtics to be the favorite to win it all. 

Well that's preposterous. That's just an algorithm that's doing a shitty job right now. 

+700 is interesting. I was thinking about the possibility that they could win it all during that Toronto game. 

They have a long way to go, though. And zero Finals experience on their team. (although that probably matters less without playing in front of crowds)

Edited by ztejas

39 minutes ago, ztejas said:

+700 is interesting. I was thinking about the possibility that they could win it all during that Toronto game. 

They have a long way to go, though. And zero Finals experience on their team. (although that probably matters less without playing in front of crowds)

I would say that the Celtics should definitely be favored to come out of the East now.  Once they get to the Finals, they will get taken out easily by one of the LA teams.  +700 is enticing enough considering one injury could shake things up.

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

whatever happened to gary harris?  his productivity was on par with jamal murray and now hes just 2nd fiddle in the backcourt?

Game 6  was his first time playing since he went down with a hip injury in March just prior to the NBA shutting it down. Obviously Murray has thrived in the bubble in his absence, but Harris is likely just getting his sea legs back at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Remember when Eric Gordon's contract was one of the best deals in the sport?

Dude is shooting 18.6% on threes this series but still taking over 7 per game.

That's 8 for 43 for those of you doing the math at home. I get that Houston doesn't really have a backup plan and that  shooters shoot, but holy shit.

Fuck you man. That was just mean. I’m going to go cry into my beer now while wondering who will be the bigger fuck up today in game 7, Russ or EG. 

13 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Charging shouldn’t exist as officiated. It’s stupid and teaches people to make non basketball plays in an attempt to get a call.

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Charging shouldn’t exist as officiated. It’s stupid and teaches people to make non basketball plays in an attempt to get a call.

I would love to see a one week exhibition schedule type deal where the players called their own fouls. the lulz would be off the charts. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I would love to see a one week exhibition schedule type deal where the players called their own fouls. the lulz would be off the charts. 

Hopefully the Rockets and Lakers never play each other in this hypothetical, because we'll end up with a score of 372 to 373 all on free throws in a game that takes 12 hours.

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Fuck you man. That was just mean. I’m going to go cry into my beer now while wondering who will be the bigger fuck up today in game 7, Russ or EG. 

I have $20 on Houston straight up with a buddy but I would pay $20 to see OKC beat them.

If OKC wins I'm going to start to wonder if CP has a 2011 Dirk type run in him. They probably don't have enough vets, though.