2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Has he ever coached? Or are the nets trying to keep Kyrie from going coo coo

No. I think he's done some consulting with teams - esp the Warriors. I think the most steady work he's had since retiring is as a soccer talking head.

No. I think he's done some consulting with teams - esp the Warriors. I think the most steady work he's had since retiring is as a soccer talking head.

Crazy, but If I was a nets fan I’d be lying if a retread like Lionel Hollins, Jason Kidd or Nate Mcmillan would be more intriguing. See what Steve has up his sleeve
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Crazy, but If I was a nets fan I’d be lying if a retread like Lionel Hollins, Jason Kidd or Nate Mcmillan would be more intriguing. See what Steve has up his sleeve

I'm not sure how much it matters, honestly. Maybe to get them over the hump, but Durant is so fucking good that if he can stay healthy and return to 95% production they will be an instant contender. 

Just now, aggie08 said:

New York Knicks Sport GIF by NBAGIF by NBA

Doc Rivers too.

Probably more. I only looked up him and Mark Jackson. Both went straight to HCing. No one would think twice about hiring LeBron or Chris Paul when they retire.

But Brad is a fucking idiot, so take it with a grain of salt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What do y’all think Tyler Herro’s ceiling is as a player. It’s hard to see how he’s going to develop. He’s only 20, he has court savvy (if that’s a thing), he’s good off the dribble, deadly from 3. Does he have all star potential, or is this just kinda who he is going to be, which isn’t a bad thing at all.

6 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

What do y’all think Tyler Herro’s ceiling is as a player. It’s hard to see how he’s going to develop. He’s only 20, he has court savvy (if that’s a thing), he’s good off the dribble, deadly from 3. Does he have all star potential, or is this just kinda who he is going to be, which isn’t a bad thing at all.

I was thinking about this yesterday. I'd say Drazen Petrovic is probably a good comp for what he could turn into. 

30 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don’t think he will ever be all star good.  

30 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I don’t think he will ever be all star good.  

I guess I’ll say, and I know this is going to sound bad but whatever...

he has a TON of confidence for a 20 year old American white kid in the NBA. I’ve had a hard time coming up with a good comp for him (of any ethnicity). That’s why I’m wondering how much he can get better. Usually for a guy like this, as his confidence grows he becomes a better player. Herro already has borderline irrational confidence on and off the court. He really leans into the Miami lifestyle 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

spacer.png

Thanks for the reminder. Fuck Derek Fisher.

Some other thoughts:

1. The end of the Milwaukee/Miami game was a travesty. It's one thing to blow the whistle on the foul on the three point play. It's peculiar and for sure questionable, but somewhat defensible. But my gawd, they called a make-up foul on the presumptive MVP 24 feet away from the basket on a forced and awkward double teamed fadeaway long after the ball left the guy's hand and the contact was around waist high. With no time on the clock in a tied playoff game. Just unbelievable. The ref has to swallow his whistle there and let them play overtime. In a league well known for officials fucking things up, this was a low point.

2. The end of that Rockets/Thunder game was so ugly. It's amazing to me how even the best and most highly trained athletes in the world completely lose their shit under pressure. Just a comedy of mental mistakes and panic. Really a disappointing way to end that series with the way the fourth quarter was played.

3. Rockets / Lakers should be fascinating matchup wise. Lakers size and strength vs. Rockets small ball. It doesn't seem like either team can match up with the other. Going to be fun to see how it plays out.

4. Really looking forward to Denver/Clippers too. The thing about the Clippers that sticks out to me is that they don't really play that well together. They've got some unbelievable pieces and Kawhi covers up a lot of blemishes, but I just don't see them as a cohesive unit really on either end of the court. Maybe they haven't had enough time to mesh and they definitely play a lot of iso ball, but Dallas was a one trick pony and gave them a lot to deal with. Denver can attack them in different ways and have a lot of bodies to throw at them. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Some other thoughts:

1. The end of the Milwaukee/Miami game was a travesty. It's one thing to blow the whistle on the foul on the three point play. It's peculiar and for sure questionable, but somewhat defensible. But my gawd, they called a make-up foul on the presumptive MVP 24 feet away from the basket on a forced and awkward double teamed fadeaway long after the ball left the guy's hand and the contact was around waist high. With no time on the clock in a tied playoff game. Just unbelievable. The ref has to swallow his whistle there and let them play overtime. In a league well known for officials fucking things up, this was a low point.

2. The end of that Rockets/Thunder game was so ugly. It's amazing to me how even the best and most highly trained athletes in the world completely lose their shit under pressure. Just a comedy of mental mistakes and panic. Really a disappointing way to end that series with the way the fourth quarter was played.

3. Rockets / Lakers should be fascinating matchup wise. Lakers size and strength vs. Rockets small ball. It doesn't seem like either team can match up with the other. Going to be fun to see how it plays out.

4. Really looking forward to Denver/Clippers too. The thing about the Clippers that sticks out to me is that they don't really play that well together. They've got some unbelievable pieces and Kawhi covers up a lot of blemishes, but I just don't see them as a cohesive unit really on either end of the court. Maybe they haven't had enough time to mesh and they definitely play a lot of iso ball, but Dallas was a one trick pony and gave them a lot to deal with. Denver can attack them in different ways and have a lot of bodies to throw at them. 

Fuck Kawhi too. As always.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I guess I’ll say, and I know this is going to sound bad but whatever...

he has a TON of confidence for a 20 year old American white kid in the NBA. I’ve had a hard time coming up with a good comp for him (of any ethnicity). That’s why I’m wondering how much he can get better. Usually for a guy like this, as his confidence grows he becomes a better player. Herro already has borderline irrational confidence on and off the court. He really leans into the Miami lifestyle 

Maybe the secret is that he's not really white. 

He might be blacker than Jason Williams.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Isaiah Thomas and Lenny Wilkins are 2 other black players who got NBA head coaching job without previous experience. 

William Felton Russell as player/head coach for the Celtics from 66-69 raises his hand.

EDIT:  And was posted previously.

EDIT 2:

Wes Unseld, but he did work in the Bullets front office for 6 years before being named head coach.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

There is an interesting shift and it may just be coincidence but there were 12 black HCs a few yrs ago and now with the latest round of firings that is down to 5.   For a very long time black candidates were passed over because they hadnt put in enough time as assts.   Now there are many black assts that seem to be getting passed over for guys that dont have experience.    Like I said, it could just be happenstance but I can see people looking at it a little funny for what looks to be a marquee job in BKN.     Even guys with experience (Kidd, Lue, Mark Jackson) seem to have their names brought up with each opening but not hired.   The NBA is BY FAR the most progressive league when it comes to diversity so I am more than willing to give this a pass but this "trend" and the fact that there is only one black GM in the league can raise some eyebrows.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I think, in this case, Nash having a good friend on the team who's also one of the league's biggest names was the deciding factor. LeBron gets the coaches he wants (except when Pat Riley tells him to get lost); KD gets his guy.

This is the most logical answer honestly.   Just comes at a "bad" time for this discussion.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Some other thoughts:

great summary. happy to have something to f'ing watch

1) yeah that was bad. just bad. refs can lose their cool too and this was an pretty bad blunder. i won't say epic but man its close

2) the Rockets. same shit with them for years now. they have no leadership on the court. In the middle of this "ending" of game 7 they showed them in the huddle and it was chaos. people talking past each other. body language all wrong. just not what you want. Not sure what it is with Harden. Something is just slightly off with him here. Is it the corch? Westbrook just isn't a leader. 

CP3 is a leader. If I was a Rockets fan I would be wondering WTF that trade was for (after watching bubble action)

Clippers will start to gel IMO. just a hunch. 

This whole debate thing about Nash being a coach is stupid. We are not talking about Matt Bullard getting a HC job, it's freaking 2-time MVP, Nelly Furtado-shagging Steve Nash. They probably just asked KD who he wanted and he said Nash, that was the whole process.   

5 minutes ago, staboner said:

great summary. happy to have something to f'ing watch

1) yeah that was bad. just bad. refs can lose their cool too and this was an pretty bad blunder. i won't say epic but man its close

2) the Rockets. same shit with them for years now. they have no leadership on the court. In the middle of this "ending" of game 7 they showed them in the huddle and it was chaos. people talking past each other. body language all wrong. just not what you want. Not sure what it is with Harden. Something is just slightly off with him here. Is it the corch? Westbrook just isn't a leader. 

CP3 is a leader. If I was a Rockets fan I would be wondering WTF that trade was for (after watching bubble action)

Clippers will start to gel IMO. just a hunch. 

Harden doesn't seem to care about losing that much. Westbrook has always been a trainwreck when it comes to end of game decision making. 

This whole debate thing about Nash being a coach is stupid. We are not talking about Matt Bullard getting a HC job, it's freaking 2-time MVP, Nelly Furtado-shagging Steve Nash. They probably just asked KD who he wanted and he said Nash, that was the whole process.   

Yea but If the most famous person you’ve encountered in your life was Matt Bullards brother, that has some privilege.

4 hours ago, Drew said:

The GM positions are much more suspect than the Head Coaching jobs. I think it's just something that ebbs and flows.

But the fact there's only 1 GM who's black is really glaring.

There’s way more than 1 black GM in the league. Off of the top of my head you have

Masai Ujuri - Raptors 

Elton Brand - 76ers

Calvin Booth -Nuggets

Scott Perry - Knicks 

and I’m pretty sure there are a few more

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

There’s way more than 1 black GM in the league. Off of the top of my head you have

Masai Ujuri - Raptors 

Elton Brand - 76ers

Calvin Booth -Nuggets

Scott Perry - Knicks 

LeBron - Lakers, previously Heat, Cavs

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Masai Ujuri - Raptors 

Elton Brand - 76ers

Calvin Booth -Nuggets

Scott Perry - Knicks 

Brian Wright - Spurs