2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

21 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Actually, LBJ has a player option for 21-22 for $41 million.  

He's the only current Laker under contract for that season, but assuming Davis signs, that is gonna eat up another huge chunk.  Plus Kuzma will have a new deal, too.

And Luol Deng will still be getting paid that season too.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/LAL.html

Chips are won by getting top FA’s to sign.  And top FA’s always want to sign with the Lakers.  I know everyone hates them, but they are, without question, the premier franchise in the NBA.  And players want to be there.

13 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Chips are won by getting top FA’s to sign.  And top FA’s always want to sign with the Lakers.  I know everyone hates them, but they are, without question, the premier franchise in the NBA.  And players want to be there.

Sure they are.  But within the constraints of the salary cap, yada.  Giannis isn't going to sign for $10 million just to play with a 38 year old Lebron.  And LBJ ain't giving up that player option year just because he is warm hearted.

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Hahahaha.  I’ll believe the Clips can win a championship when I see it.  Please don’t compare the Clipper franchise to the Laker franchise.  

Not comparing the franchises. Just comparing the individual teams against each other. Not only are they a lot deeper, but I might take playoff Kawhi over Lebron. They are the clippers, but you act like Kawhi didn’t just go to another franchise with no winning history and win a title his first year there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Not comparing the franchises. Just comparing the individual teams against each other. Not only are they a lot deeper, but I might take playoff Kawhi over Lebron. They are the clippers, but you act like Kawhi didn’t just go to another franchise with no winning history and win a title his first year there. 

At this point in their careers Kawhi is a clear-cut better player than LBJ. By a reasonably wide margin. He's going to son LeBron in the playoffs yet again. The questions in that series are whether the gap between AD and Paul George is bigger than the gap between Kawhi and LeBron, and if the Lakers 3rd-9th players can avoid not getting destroyed by the Clips 3-9. But the best player in that series isn't in question.

I think the Clippers will win. Maybe more easily than most people think. They are better at every single roster spot except AD<>George. Better on defense. A more coherent and unified basketball identity. But we'll see. Kawhi doesn't give a shit about things like franchise history, socializing with other human beings, or learning how to read.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

They'd still have multiple without KD. But that's probably not a debate anyone is interested in rehashing, it's been beaten to death.

Wow, that's wildly incorrect. KD was going to a contender one way or the other. Had he been on Cleveland or Houston or fuck probably even Boston the Dubs weren't winning shit.

1 minute ago, Llogg said:

Wow, that's wildly incorrect. KD was going to a contender one way or the other. Had he been on Cleveland or Houston or fuck probably even Boston the Dubs weren't winning shit.

Yeah imagine how many titles KD would have had prior to the Warriors if he had ever been on a team with another MVP caliber player. Or even two! I guess we'll just never know.

Edited by BradInATX

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah imagine how many titles KD would have had prior to the Warriors if he had ever been on a team with another MVP caliber player. Or even two! I guess we'll just never know.

Who cares..... Cleveland probably beats the Warriors again without KD.  We've been through this.... it's all conjecture, but most of the data points to W's being one and done.

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Don't be disingenuous. Westbrook is and always has been wildly overrated. His joke MVP season was full of trash stat chasing. And Harden in OKC was not what Harden became. Don't be that guy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Don't be disingenuous. Westbrook is and always has been wildly overrated. His joke MVP season was full of trash stat chasing. And Harden in OKC was not what Harden became. Don't be that guy.

Durant had lots of talent on his OKC teams. He was not going to beat the Warriors in Boston or anywhere else except maybe Cleveland. There's a reason he joined them.

22 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

At this point in their careers Kawhi is a clear-cut better player than LBJ. By a reasonably wide margin. He's going to son LeBron in the playoffs yet again. The questions in that series are whether the gap between AD and Paul George is bigger than the gap between Kawhi and LeBron, and if the Lakers 3rd-9th players can avoid not getting destroyed by the Clips 3-9. But the best player in that series isn't in question.

I think the Clippers will win. Maybe more easily than most people think. They are better at every single roster spot except AD<>George. Better on defense. A more coherent and unified basketball identity. But we'll see. Kawhi doesn't give a shit about things like franchise history, socializing with other human beings, or learning how to read.

That’s ridiculous.  LeBron is in the discussion as best player ever.  And justifiably so.  Kawhi is not in LBJs class.  Not yet.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

That’s ridiculous.  LeBron is in the discussion as best player ever.  And justifiably so.  Kawhi is not in LBJs class.  Not yet.  

Not career wise. Of course not. LBJ is #2 all time, probably. But Kawhi is a better player today.

Edited by BradInATX

The irony of Harden complaining to the refs because an offensive player plowed into him and then went down on a shot is pretty hilarious.....

Forgot Jeff Green was on the Rockets.... so basically Houston just needs Ibaka and they'd have all of KD's OKC guys.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

LBJ will be 2nd in MVP voting.  Not sure about your claim.   You don’t watch the Lakers much, I’m guessing.

Kawhi coasts in the regular season every year. It's pretty clear that he elevates his game on both ends of the floor in the playoffs, and during that tunnel vision stretch he's a better player than Lebron. Not talking careers, just at this stage with Lebron at 35 years old. Kawhi is right in the middle of his prime. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Just now, Sbbruin said:

LBJ will be 2nd in MVP voting.  Not sure about your claim.   You don’t watch the Lakers much, I’m guessing.

LOL. I've seen the Lakers plenty. LeBron gets name recognition votes. Kawhi load manages during the regular season. 29 NBA GMs would take Kawhi over LeBron if they were both healthy for a playoff run. It's not even really a debate at this point, unless you're a Laker homer. I have no reason to back Kawhi here. I like LeBron much more than I do Kawhi. But I watch basketball.

17 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

KD took them to the Finals in 2012. Then they shipped Harden. Then Westbrook went down. Then they lost to the 2014 Spurs in 6 in the WCF. Then Durant missed a season. Then they lost to the 2016 Warriors in 7 in the WCF. Then Durant went to GS and was the best player on two title teams and the only reason it wasn't three is because he tore his Achilles. Durant did nothing but win in the playoffs the entire decade. Going to the Ws just pushed everything over the top but he would have been "contending" on half the other teams in the league had he gone somewhere else.

If Westbrook is a little bit better they probably beat the Spurs in 2014 or beat the Warriors in 2016 or both. 

On this game.. I'm impressed with Houston's fight in this game. They actually look ready to play unlike the Nuggets. Neither of these teams has great depth, so it'll be interesting to see how the every other day format impacts them, especially with one having a week of rest and the other coming off of a crazy 7 game series.

I could see LA winning this by 10+ while Houston fades, or I could see Houston winning. I really have no idea. This series is difficult to read for me.

Edited by BradInATX

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

KD took them to the Finals in 2012. Then they shipped Harden. Then Westbrook went down. Then they lost to the 2014 Spurs in 6 in the WCF. Then Durant missed a season. Then they lost to the 2016 Warriors in 7 in the WCF. Then Durant went to GS and was the best player on two title teams and the only reason it wasn't three is because he tore his Achilles. Durant did nothing but win in the playoffs the entire decade. Going to the Ws just pushed everything over the top but he would have been "contending" on half the other teams in the league had he gone somewhere else.

If Westbrook is a little bit better they probably beat the Spurs in 2014 or beat the Warriors in 2016 or both. 

This is a pretty rosy spin-job. But imma let it lie, because I'm not really looking to get into the KD legacy and Warriors thing again. I get it, he's a Longhorn. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

Game over.  Lakers lost game 1 against Portland.  Maybe they need the slap in the face..  

Maybe. This is a more concerning loss, though. And against some more proven winners. They are getting dusted out there. 

I'd still say Lakers in 6 or 7, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Maybe. This is a more concerning loss, though. And against some more proven winners. They are getting dusted out there. 

I'd still say Lakers in 6 or 7, though. 

Agreed.  It was a bad matchup for the Lakers.  But trying to win a series on 3 point shooting is a tall order.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Bucks looked dominant the whole game until the 4th qtr and completely fell apart. Heat kicked their ass in the 4th qtr and was not even close. Wow. I thought they were a year or 2 away but they could legit win the title this year in this bubble. 

Bucks are mental midgets.  They showed it last year to the Raptors, and they are showing it this year as well.

Sure, they look dominate during the regular season but two years in....they fold like a cheap tent.

Plus, when you have comments like this from the head coach, they just don't have a chance.  Giannis at 36 minutes is at his ceiling?  WTF?

14 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Bucks looked dominant the whole game until the 4th qtr and completely fell apart. Heat kicked their ass in the 4th qtr and was not even close. Wow. I thought they were a year or 2 away but they could legit win the title this year in this bubble. 

I could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure the Celtics have owned the Heat this year. I think they run through the Heat if it comes down to it. "Styles make fights". The heat are the exact wrong match up for the Bucks. You don't just luck into 4 out of 5 against a team this good.

Edited by youdunnf'dup