2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

The Clippers are still the best team in the league - one game doesn't change that. 

But this is the most wide-open a title race has been in what seems like a long time. I think you have to go back to 2006 or 1999 to find something similar. Maybe 2015 but you still had LeBron cruising to the Finals that year.

• Hook 'Em 1

They were 9 point dogs tonight and led wire to wire. 
Clips aren't that much better than the Nuggets (or the Mavs, or the Rockets, or the Lakers). 
Clips should win the series - if they can recapture their focus. Kawhi got shut down by Gary Harris tonight. The Clips were in a position to win this game - before their clown car mentality showed up. The clown mentality is always lurking when the Clippers play. 

Playoff P showed up?
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

Couldn't miss? Someone clocked out after the first quarter, me thinks. Cheers.

I loved this from Jokic . . . 

There’s no way of proving it but i swear I meant in the first quarter. I really did. But oh well. Usually when you have a quarter where you shoot 75% from the field, you don’t lose. That’s all I’m saying. That’ll never happen again and the Nugs will lose in 5. I could be wrong, like always. But the Nugs are very clearly a tier below everyone else in the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Keep sleeping. Denver is counting on teams sleeping.

_______

For those who didn't see the game - Jamal creating space on Kawhi . . . 

I’m not sleeping on them. I just watched them get pushed to the brink by a Utah team that i don’t think is very good either. I think either team would lose in 5 to the clippers. And Jamal Murray and Jokic are good, man. But if I’m asking for a package deal of the two clippers all stars and the two nuggets all stars, you know who I’m taking. Then if we’re talking bench, I’m taking the clippers bench. If the clippers aren’t sleep walking and they’re actually locked in, they run through the nuggets. Kawhi was off last night and the nuggets couldn’t miss in the first quarter. That’s a recipe for how the nuggets make it a 5 game series vs getting swept.

But again, i could be wrong. I don’t know what I’m talking about just like everyone else in this thread.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Anyone who has played a bunch of AAU games knows how to tape ankles.  You either tape each other’s ankles or they don’t get taped.

Nah, that's not what I'm wondering.    There may be a few guys that dont get their ankles taped by choice but my question is more that clearly taping isnt enough.   Just about every single game someone rolls their ankle.

I used to roll mine all the time when I was younger.   Then I started wearing the tie up braces.  I've worn them literally for 30 yrs playing as much 5-6 times a week and I've NEVER rolled my ankle and I've always gone to the basket hard.   Even when I stepped/landed on someone's foot it still never rolled all the way.   Obviously, I've never played at the NBA level but there has to be better way to protect guys ankles.    I'm just wondering from a high level trainer POV what is the rationale cause there has to be something.

Feels weird to be rooting for Miami to just end it now, rather than prolonging the inevitable 2nd round defeat of the best team all season. Incredibly rare for a 60 win team to bow out this early. Historically, they're pretty much a lock to get to the conference finals, barring injury, running into prime Kevin Durant, or Baron fucking Davis.

Even Bud's star-less 60 win Hawks team got to the ECF before getting punked by LeBron.

Obviously a weird season with unusual circumstances, but someone's head is probably going to roll.

14 minutes ago, d2o said:

Nah, that's not what I'm wondering.    There may be a few guys that dont get their ankles taped by choice but my question is more that clearly taping isnt enough.   Just about every single game someone rolls their ankle.

I used to roll mine all the time when I was younger.   Then I started wearing the tie up braces.  I've worn them literally for 30 yrs playing as much 5-6 times a week and I've NEVER rolled my ankle and I've always gone to the basket hard.   Even when I stepped/landed on someone's foot it still never rolled all the way.   Obviously, I've never played at the NBA level but there has to be better way to protect guys ankles.    I'm just wondering from a high level trainer POV what is the rationale cause there has to be something.

I tried the lace up things back in the day (90’s).  I felt they hindered my mobility more than taping, and I didn’t have an excess amount of lateral quickness to begin with, so they didn’t last long.  I felt taping slowed me down a little as well, just to a lesser extent.  Maybe psychological, but that’s how I felt at the time.  You see dbs in football ditch the thigh pads because they feel it makes them a little quicker.  Maybe psychological as well?  Who knows.  I only taped the one I had trouble with.

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I tried the lace up things back in the day (90’s).  I felt they hindered my mobility more than taping, and I didn’t have an excess amount of lateral quickness to begin with, so they didn’t last long.  I felt taping slowed me down a little as well, just to a lesser extent.  Maybe psychological, but that’s how I felt at the time.  You see dbs in football ditch the thigh pads because they feel it makes them a little quicker.  Maybe psychological as well?  Who knows.  I only taped the one I had trouble with.

I wonder if that is the case.  My game is (well was now that I'm old) built on being super quick and I never really noticed any limited mobility.   Especially with the alternative of rolling my ankle and being out for however long it was worth it big time.

Just seems like with multi-million dollar athletes there would be more protecting somewhat preventable injuries than just tape.   There has to be some medical reasoning.

Edited by d2o

4 minutes ago, d2o said:

I wonder if that is the case.  My game is (well was now that I'm old) built on being super quick and I never really noticed any limited mobility.   Especially with the alternative of rolling my ankle and being out for however long it was worth it big time.

I needed every small bit of quickness I could get.  I picked my shoes by weight.  When I decided that hoops was the sport I was focusing on, I was one of the quickest guys on the floor.  When my body finished growing, it was apparent that strong safety/ linebacker would have been a better choice than point guard.  So I ended up playing point forward from the high post at 6’1” in a pretty good 5A district.

2 hours ago, d2o said:

More likely to get plantar fasciitis with those. You also need to allow some movement at the ankle to avoid transmitting torque to the knee.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, d2o said:

Just seems like with multi-million dollar athletes there would be more protecting somewhat preventable injuries than just tape.   There has to be some medical reasoning.

I wear the lace up sometimes and I’ve had ankle problems my whole life. I hate wearing them though because they 100% decrease my explosiveness especially when going up for blocks or rebounds 

1 hour ago, d2o said:

I am not a doctor.  I think you could probably make the ankle close to bulletproof if you wanted to, but I think it would put the knee at greater risk.  And you would also have to take into consideration what really stabilizing the ankle would do to all of the Euro-steps we see these days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

Rondo with the jump shot dagger..... lol. 

Westbrook again actively working against his own team.  4-15, 1-7 from 3.  4 assists, 7 turnovers.  -14 plus/minus.  Even 1-3 from the FT line.  That's fucking awful.

Did you see Westbrook's D on Rondo's J? Dude just stood there and watched Rajon shoot, even though Westbrook had plenty of time to close.

As bad as the present and (probable) future is for the Spurs, I'm so thankful they're not trying to build a team around that worthless PoS.

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

AD and LBJ are better than Harden and Westbrook.  I think everyone agrees with that.  But can the Rockets remaining cast beat the Lakers?  We shall see.  I don’t think so. 

Well tonight it was pretty awful:

Rockets Bench scored 13 (all by House)

Lakers bench scored 41 among 4 players

Game 1 it was 17 to 33 in the Lakers favor.

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Westbrook should never shoot a 3 again. But tbf he is getting sonned at the rim every time by Lebron.

Westbrook has a pretty solid (relatively) mid-range game. LA is purposely leaving that space completely unguarded. Take a frickin' elbow jumper, man. I thought that's why they brought him in.

4 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

do you still think he's worried about his shooting percentages?

Uh, yes? It's not like he's chucking prayers against double teams. He's getting absolutely zero respect from LA and has had some wide ass open looks. He has to shoot those shots, or else the offense comes to a grinding halt. I just don't know if it's his stubbornness or the stubbornness of Houston's philosophy that's keeping him from dribbling in a few feet.

16 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Well tonight it was pretty awful:

Rockets Bench scored 13 (all by House)

Lakers bench scored 41 among 4 players

Game 1 it was 17 to 33 in the Lakers favor.

Can I ask, honestly, if you think the Rockets are better than the Lakers?   Rockets may win, but the Lakers are better.