2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

15 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Can I ask, honestly, if you think the Rockets are better than the Lakers?   Rockets may win, but the Lakers are better.

I would say the Lakers are the better overall team, but I'm not certain they will win the series. I would guess this goes at least 6 games. The rockets need more than 1 guy that can score off the bench though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Llogg said:

More likely to get plantar fasciitis with those. You also need to allow some movement at the ankle to avoid transmitting torque to the knee.

This seems reasonable.   A lot more damage can be done to the knee than to the ankle (unless you're Grant Hill).   Lesser of the evils I guess.

Edited by d2o

The Lakers played great defense last night.   The adjustments of playing a kinda zone and really scrambling to get to shooters had HOU out of sorts.   That said when HOU didnt have Westbrook in they passed it well and ultimately ended up with a good shot that more than likely was made.    When Westbrook was in LA rotated and rotated until he was the one with the ball and gave him the shot.  All season he has been passing those wide open looks up and driving on those catches and having success doing it.    Not sure why he was so insistent on shooting the open threes last night.

Edited by d2o

42 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah, well, analytics.😒

This drives me crazy. It reflects a true misunderstanding of statistics to apply population level information to individuals. Yes, in aggregate taking 3s is a better strategy than long 2s, but for a specific player that may not be true (see Westbrook, Russell).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Rondo with the jump shot dagger..... lol. 

Westbrook again actively working against his own team.  4-15, 1-7 from 3.  4 assists, 7 turnovers.  -14 plus/minus.  Even 1-3 from the FT line.  That's fucking awful.

Only rockets starter that wasn’t positive in the plus minus. 

9 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Why is everyone so high on the Celtics? I think you're overrating them

I think I just think the Raptors aren’t very good and the Celtics are as good as any team in the east if Milwaukee gets knocked out. The Celtics have had Miami’s number this year, if im not mistaken. I think all these teams are inferior to Milwaukee by a pretty wide margin, but the heat were far and away the worst matchup for them. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1

Boston is a very interesting team. They have 4 guys that I think could be solid #2 guys on a championship team -- Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Hayward. They've got a couple great role players in Smart and Thies. They are a really solid switch everything defensive team.

This series doesn't tell me much about them b/c Toronto is trash.

• Like 2

I might have been wrong about Denver. They’ve taken their game to another level this series. 
I had very little faith in them myself. Not sure many people believed.
Friggin Kawhi man. Every other star in the league should study how he plays in clutch time. Under control but always aggressive. He's so good. I hate him.

I hope that the NBA keeps the concept of every other day games in the playoffs. It's been great so far. Series' and the entire playoffs in general are going at a much more tolerable pace than most years. I'm a huge basketball dork but with the regular playoff pace, I find myself almost burnt out by the conference finals. This year I'm not experiencing any of that fatigue. I look forward to games every night, and just about every series is interesting. The only series right now that I'm not really fascinated by is Houston vs. LA because it's pretty straightforward. Fairly evenly matched teams, Houston will win if Westbrook plays with high efficiency and they'll lose if he doesn't. Just a matter of execution to see who wins it. 

The Nuggets really need to run everything through Joker, and he needs to be hyper-aggressive for the rest of this series. Murray just hasn't figured out LA's suffocating perimeter defense, and he's probably not going to. Jokic vs. whoever is guarding him is the most exploitable matchup they have. Maybe the only exploitable matchup they have. He should touch the ball on every play.

It also looks to me like the only way to beat the Clippers is to be leading big in the 4th quarter because when they start executing lockdown defense in crunch time, it's pretty filthy. Their offense wasn't great down the stretch but it didn't matter because they just literally wouldn't let Denver score.

Edited by BradInATX

15 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I hope that the NBA keeps the concept of every other day games in the playoffs. It's been great so far. Series' and the entire playoffs in general are going at a much more tolerable pace than most years. I'm a huge basketball dork but with the regular playoff pace, I find myself almost burnt out by the conference finals. This year I'm not experiencing any of that fatigue. I look forward to games every night, and just about every series is interesting. The only series right now that I'm not really fascinated by is Houston vs. LA because it's pretty straightforward. Fairly evenly matched teams, Houston will win if Westbrook plays with high efficiency and they'll lose if he doesn't. Just a matter of execution to see who wins it. 

The Nuggets really need to run everything through Joker, and he needs to be hyper-aggressive for the rest of this series. Murray just hasn't figured out LA's suffocating perimeter defense, and he's probably not going to. Jokic vs. whoever is guarding him is the most exploitable matchup they have. Maybe the only exploitable matchup they have. He should touch the ball on every play.

It also looks to me like the only way to beat the Clippers is to be leading big in the 4th quarter because when they start executing lockdown defense in crunch time, it's pretty filthy. Their offense wasn't great down the stretch but it didn't matter because they just literally wouldn't let Denver score.

They wont do it for the simple fact that they will not want to play weekday games at 1 in the afternoon.    I've thoroughly enjoyed those two weeks of quadruple headers but they want all those games in primetime.   Sucks for hoops lovers like me but just is what it is.

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

They wont do it for the simple fact that they will not want to play weekday games at 1 in the afternoon.    I've thoroughly enjoyed those two weeks of quadruple headers but they want all those games in primetime.   Sucks for hoops lovers like me but just is what it is.

Good point. That was badass though. Makes me glad that I have a TV in my office. It was almost March Madness-esque.

46 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Eh- they don’t have to start at 1- throw 2 up on tnt and 2 on TBS, and 2 on ESPN and 2 on the deuce on each of their days to broadcast. 

Yeah they aren't gonna split the ticket like that.   They like/want to have each game have its own spot in most instances.

I kinda feel like if there's ever going to be a comeback from an 0-3 deficit, this series is it. I mean Miami will probably still pull it out, but the Bucks have the talent. And with there being no homecourt advantage at all, there's no game 6 backstop in front of their home crowd like the Heat would have in a normal scenario. It's just another game at the some hotel against a talented squad that now has built a good amount of momentum. I'd be pretty nervous if I were a Heat fan and Milwaukee wins tonight.