2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Yes.

(But there's no way their FO could have possibly known that)

I remember at the time thinking Harden was better than Russ, always thought Russ was an athletic dude with decent skills (by nba standards), but made dumb decisions too often.  Anyways fuck the Thunder glad it didn’t work out for them.

I was responding to your bottom that Stevens doesn't have an offensive system. They clearly do. They weren't hiring a lot of 3 last night and ended up taking too many contests 3 skate in the shot clock, but that is a different argument. The shot chart supports exactly what I said: they run a system designed to get corner 3 sand shots at the room. 
Okay fine. If you want to call jacking up low percentage contested iso 3 pointers a system, I'll concede the point

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:
15 hours ago, Llogg said:
I was responding to your bottom that Stevens doesn't have an offensive system. They clearly do. They weren't hiring a lot of 3 last night and ended up taking too many contests 3 skate in the shot clock, but that is a different argument. The shot chart supports exactly what I said: they run a system designed to get corner 3 sand shots at the room. 

Okay fine. If you want to call jacking up low percentage contested iso 3 pointers a system, I'll concede the point

I'm not sure we watched the same game. The majority of those 3s weren't from clearout 1-on-1 iso plays. They were almost all the result of drive and kick, but with multiple subsequent passes getting them late in the shot clock and forcing a low percentage 3. Sometimes the defense matters too. It doesn't mean there is not system or that the system was intended to produce those shots. You've described the Rockets system, not the Celtics.

21 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Houston's future and cap situation is, um, not enviable.

Now that they will have a new coach it will be interesting to see how they roster changes.    Do they only choose a new coach that will continue with the small ball philisophy?   If not, they have a lot of work to do with that roster.   Considering the model was as much Morey's doing as it was MD's I think they will try to stick with it but I think that limits their candidates.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

In the most Clippers' stat ever, the franchise is now 0-7 in games that could have clinched them a berth in the conference finals.

Maybe even Kawhi isn't enough to overcome decades of futility.

It's weird how that shit transfers over from roster to roster, and coach to coach. Gonna need prime Jordan to turn that around.

On 9/12/2020 at 7:35 PM, Sbbruin said:

Haha.  Fuck the Rockets.  Small ball is all fine and good unless you play a big team that is also skilled.  Good night Gladys.

I mean if the worst you can say about a team is they couldn’t get past the dubs juggernaut or vintage Lebron teamed with AD, uhm, ok?   Nobody else has yet either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, d2o said:

I know people downplay social media but it's big in their circles. Supposedly from screenshots, he unfollowed everyone he did from the Bucks.Could have been in the heat of the moment act. I really don't think he will be long for Milwaukee. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/giannis-antetokounmpo-appears-unfollow-bucks-teammates-instagram

If the Nuggets knocked both LA teams out it might make up for all the other bad shit from 2020

That’d be awesome. Aren’t they pretty much built through the draft and not trading for stars like the LA teams? Pretty much the entire country would be backing the Nuggets unless you’re from LA or a Lebronstan
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

That’d be awesome. Aren’t they pretty much built through the draft and not trading for stars like the LA teams? Pretty much the entire country would be backing the Nuggets unless you’re from LA or a Lebronstan

Yeah, at least Jokic and Murray (and MPJ) are draft picks. I'm not super familiar with how they built the rest of that roster, but I can't recall any marquis free agents.

They'd have a really really difficult time with the Lakers if they get there. It's a poor matchup for them. But even if they could just knock the Clippers out, it makes the odds of the champion not being an LA or Boston team that much better, which I think we're all rooting for. 

There's a very real path to not having an LA champion if the Nuggets finish the Clippers off. The Lakers don't match up extremely well with Miami, but the Clippers do. So even if Denver is just the sacrificial lamb that got rid of an LAC team that would give Miami/Boston fits, they've helped the cause.

We are all Nuggets, Heat, and even Celtics if we need to be.

Edited by BradInATX

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, at least Jokic and Murray (and MPJ) are draft picks. I'm not super familiar with how they built the rest of that roster, but I can't recall any marquis free agents.

They'd have a really really difficult time with the Lakers if they get there. It's a poor matchup for them. But even if they could just knock the Clippers out, it makes the odds of the champion not being an LA or Boston team that much better, which I think we're all rooting for. 

There's a very real path to not having an LA champion if the Nuggets finish the Clippers off. The Lakers don't match up extremely well with Miami, but the Clippers do. So even if Denver is just the sacrificial lamb that got rid of an LAC team that would give Miami/Boston fits, they've helped the cause.

We are all Nuggets, Heat, and even Celtics if we need to be.

Look- I'm a Longhorn fan first, last and forever.  Beyond that- I root- ish- for the Rockets, horns in the pros and just shit that's interesting or fun.  I don't see anything wrong with Lebron winning a title with the Lakers, especially if it's over the Celtics. Or Celtics over Lebron and the Lakers. 

I'd rather the Clips not win a title b/c Leonard seems like a bitch, and I'd rather he not drag his nuts across the rest of the leagues faces with two different titles, in 2 years, with two different teams, both in the first year with them.  I don't see anything about Miami or Boston that's particularly fun to watch, but gun to my head I guess I'd slightly prefer Boston to Miami if the Lakers are in the finals for purposes of nostalgia. I guess.  But yeah, Miami and Denver aren't compelling to root for unless they are your guys, so I don't get this at all. 

34 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Look- I'm a Longhorn fan first, last and forever.  Beyond that- I root- ish- for the Rockets, horns in the pros and just shit that's interesting or fun.  I don't see anything wrong with Lebron winning a title with the Lakers, especially if it's over the Celtics. Or Celtics over Lebron and the Lakers. 

I'd rather the Clips not win a title b/c Leonard seems like a bitch, and I'd rather he not drag his nuts across the rest of the leagues faces with two different titles, in 2 years, with two different teams, both in the first year with them.  I don't see anything about Miami or Boston that's particularly fun to watch, but gun to my head I guess I'd slightly prefer Boston to Miami if the Lakers are in the finals for purposes of nostalgia. I guess.  But yeah, Miami and Denver aren't compelling to root for unless they are your guys, so I don't get this at all. 

- Super team built by AD forcing his way off of his former team even though his contract wasn't up
- LeChina

But most importantly, I'm a Spurs fan, as is ztejas. We will never stop rooting against the Lakers. They can EABOD.

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

- Super team built by AD forcing his way off of his former team even though his contract wasn't up
- LeChina

But most importantly, I'm a Spurs fan, as is ztejas. We will never stop rooting against the Lakers. They can EABOD.

Hey, I grew up as a run TMC fan where the showtime lakers would son my boys and I hated that. I get the hate I guess.

And you know which side of the aisle I'm on politically so LeChina isn't my favorite guy to root for- I don't stan for him at all, but he's pretty good.  Unibrow is pretty boring but I have nothing bad to say about him.

The lakers have been hot garbage for 10 years. I've got nothing invested in hating them anymore, right now. 

BTW, pretty telling quote from Goran Dragic. Might be of interest to some who think the Bucks just need a small re-tool and not a complete revamp of Giannis' supporting cast. The last sentence is the telling part. He spells it out pretty directly. Teams "throw the whole defense at (Giannis) and forget about other guys". Nobody is scared of Brook Lopez. 

“I still think Giannis doesn’t have so much help,” Dragic said, via Jay King of The Athletic. “Tatum, if you look, he’s got around (him) Kemba and Brown. He’s the leader of that team, no doubt. We need to prepare for him, but we cannot just throw out the whole defense at him and forget about other guys.”

Edited by BradInATX

Nuggets have always held a special spot for me. Mutumbo was my favorite player probably of all time but especially when I was a kid and he was with Denver. 
That said I highly doubt they can finish the clips off and I think they would lose in 4 to the Lakers if they got there. As much as I love Jokic he’s still a minus defender at this point. Hopefully Murray can use these performances to become more consistently great and MPJ can continue to grow as that can make them a legit title contender.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

- LeChina

Yeah. Watching the Lakers win is close to watching OU win. It makes me throw up in my mouth.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Nuggets have always held a special spot for me. Mutumbo was my favorite player probably of all time but especially when I was a kid and he was with Denver. 
That said I highly doubt they can finish the clips off and I think they would lose in 4 to the Lakers if they got there. As much as I love Jokic he’s still a minus defender at this point. Hopefully Murray can use these performances to become more consistently great and MPJ can continue to grow as that can make them a legit title contender.

I'll always remember the Nuggets by that crazy first round series in the early 90s when they pulled the 8 vs. 1 first-round upset after going down 0-2. That sent shockwaves through the school cafeteria. I remember most everyone expecting that the Shawn Kemp Sonics were the heir-apparent to the throne after Jordan's retirement. Kemp jerseys dominated the hallways. That dude could throw down. Both dunking and making kids.

32 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I'll always remember the Nuggets by that crazy first round series in the early 90s when they pulled the 8 vs. 1 first-round upset after going down 0-2. That sent shockwaves through the school cafeteria. I remember most everyone expecting that the Shawn Kemp Sonics were the heir-apparent to the throne after Jordan's retirement. Kemp jerseys dominated the hallways. That dude could throw down. Both dunking and making kids.

CSB, I played a pickup game with Kemp once.  The height of my basketball existence was probably getting to throw him a few lob passes.  “Oh shit, that’s probably too high.  Never mind, no it’s not.”

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Holy shit. That would be incredible 

It was.  I was a HS senior and he randomly showed up to a church that had an open gym once or twice a week with highly competitive games.  I think he was friends with a couple of the college guys that played regularly.  Decent mix of college and good hs players.  I want to say it was when he was at whatever JUCO he went to in E. Texas briefly.