2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

Nuggets have always held a special spot for me. Mutumbo was my favorite player probably of all time but especially when I was a kid and he was with Denver. 
That said I highly doubt they can finish the clips off and I think they would lose in 4 to the Lakers if they got there. As much as I love Jokic he’s still a minus defender at this point. Hopefully Murray can use these performances to become more consistently great and MPJ can continue to grow as that can make them a legit title contender.
It would be funny as hell to see Denver come back from 3-1 again and beat the Clippers but like you mentioned , I don't think they would be much of a matchup for the Lakers. I want to see as entertaining of a West Finals with my team being out and this is both LA teams. I'd like to see the Lakers actually have to work to win a series these playoffs. Something that have yet to have to do.

14 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

CSB, I played a pickup game with Kemp once.  The height of my basketball existence was probably getting to throw him a few lob passes.  “Oh shit, that’s probably too high.  Never mind, no it’s not.”

In the late 90's sometime, a good buddy worked for the Lakers.  He used to call us a couple hours before the game to say tix will be waiting.  You had to be ready to go at a moments notice.  But in your 20's, that's easy.  Anyway, they would oftern come with Forum Club passes.  One game at halftime, we are in the FC and my buddy walks in to check on us.  He then introduces us to this towering dude.  It was Kemp (I think the Sonics were playing the Clips the next night at the Sports Arena).  I shook his hand, and it was like a giant shaking a baby's hand.  I could barely get my hand around his to even shake it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I hope like hell I'm wrong, but I think the Clippers run them out of the gym tonight. 

Either way, you have to like Denver's future. Jokic and Murray both under contract for several years and they have Porter on a rookie deal for a few more as well. Barring something catastrophic, they are going to be in the mix for the foreseeable future. Really like the way they built their team. Shows you that you don't need to tank or pick first to construct a contender. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I hope like hell I'm wrong, but I think the Clippers run them out of the gym tonight. 

Either way, you have to like Denver's future. Jokic and Murray both under contract for several years and they have Porter on a rookie deal for a few more as well. Barring something catastrophic, they are going to be in the mix for the foreseeable future. Really like the way they built their team. Shows you that you don't need to tank or pick first to construct a contender. 

I really hope they can pull it off but I wouldn't bet on it either.      They do have a nice base between those 3 and Gary Harris.    I dont think they have the mental fortitude to win at a high level but I do think MPJ will grow into more of an alpha so maybe that changes

1 hour ago, d2o said:

As long as Morey is willing to work for that clown show the Rockets will have a punchers chance. The second he's gone and broke ass Tilman has to find another GM they are basically screwed.  

I know Morey gets a ton of shit but I think the Rockets have won the 4th most playoff games since 2015, and since he's taken over the team in 2005 or whenever it was I think they only trail San Antonio and Miami in total wins (something like that). They've never had a below 500 season with him at the helm, never tanked, never been bad, and had 2 separate chances to win titles if things wouldn't have gone against them with injury bad luck (Yao/Tmac and Harden/Paul). Were either of those great chances?  Not really, but in a league where Lebron in the east means an auto trip to the finals and dynastic squads in LA, San Antonio and Golden State mean you have to be historically great (other than that little window dallas seized by the short hairs) to win a title you really shouldn't fault him too much for not having a title to his name. The guy is, at worst, with the constraints put on him by 2 different ownership groups being cheap as fuck and refusing to pay the tax a B+ executive.  

I'm sure Tilman will run him off or fire him at some point in time, but until that happens or Harden breaks this is a 4-6 seed in the west- and there's no shame in that as the west is still pretty fucking stacked, and getting better. 

Next year you will have both LA teams think they can win a title, Dallas continuing to grow with Luka emerging as a clear top 10, maybe top 5 guy, a pretty good squad in Denver and I'm sure a rockets team that will be pretty good, along with the Warriors having a re-set and adding a piece and getting healthy and maybe being as good as their first title team.  That's a stupid top 6 in the conference, really, if you think about it.  Then, you have Zion coming of age with better coaching, that interesting Suns team, Memphis was fun, not to mention Dame and the guys with a similar roster to the shitty conference title roster they had.  I think OKC gets off of Paul and gets worse, but they are the only playoff team I see taking a step back.  

Who are the easy outs in the west?  Minnesota who just added the #1 overall pick to go along with 2 young guys who made all star teams. Sacramento (terrible, same as it's been for 14 years or what have you) and San Antonio maybe?  Seriously, it's a fucking blood bath. I'm sure I forgot someone good and someone bad in there somewhere but damn man, this shit is stacked.  

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Man, I don't know. The Clippers did run them out of the gym to begin the last two games...and lost. I can't point to much that says they'll play with more urgency for a full 48 minutes other than the obvious "they fucking better."

I don't even know where there biggest issue lies. Playoff P has actually had a great series. Kawhi hasn't been otherworldly like in postseasons past, but he's been damn good. I guess you have to point to Lou Williams for, after a nice first round series against the Warriors last year, remembering that he's an historically dogshit playoff performer and crippling their bench.

I expected the Clippers to be the ones to lean on teams and wear them down, not the Nuggets. Wild series that I did not see coming at all. I think tonight is a coin flip. I get the "LA will win easily" but there's no home court, Denver has been by far the more clutch team with the biggest balls, Murray is starting to roll, and Denver has Mo.

Given my track record predicting this series that probably means LA wins by 40 though.

• Hook 'Em 1

Damn I didn't even realize Heat Celts started already. I already told the wife I'm going into my game room and being a recluse all night. Two super intriguing games. An awesome game 7 with a true underdog to root for and the opening parley of a series with a ton of interesting young players and two coaches who are going to be attacking and countering on the chess board for hopefully 6-7 games.

giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7zwyrzfcng385qfmgoqrvd58yaq1tk8jpm6o37oeh&rid=giphy.gif

The Western Conference smokes these two teams. Any team in the hunt for a playoff spot in the West matches up well. Incl. SAS (Pop would have outsmarted these coaches. Feels like minor leagues). 

Fuck the East. 

(The East is improving - finally). 

And GSW is coming back next year.

The West Rules the NBA. 

If the Clips blow this I'm not sure it'll ever get the media hype that it should because it's the Clippers who nobody cares about, not the Lakers. You're talking about taking a playoff team that gave the Warriors a very good fight last year. Adding a top 3 player and reigning FMVP in his prime. Adding a top 20 player in George. Adding an emergent 6th man of the year in Harrell. Possibly the most talented and definitely deepest roster in the league. And you blow a 3-1 lead in the second round against a 5 seed or whatever Denver is. Blowing multiple huge leads along the way. We're talking a catastrophic failure here.

They have no heart, no balls, and no identity as a team, unless you count being the fake tough guy that only bullies timid Euro guys then folds when punched in the nose.

Kawhi is playing just awfully tonight. My heart breaks for him.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean he had 30 and 14 in the Eastern conference finals as a 22 year old. I would imagine he’s feeling pretty good about himself. 
Yeah, I don't think it was at all a "Tatum got owned" type of takeaway from that play. He made a strong drive and ties the game 999 out of 1000 times. It was a "omfg that's one of the greatest blocks in NBA history" takeaway.

Tatum should feel bad about his late-game shot selection prior to that, but not that.
  • Hook 'Em 2