2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I know I should be happy to be facing Murray and Jokic instead of Kawhi and PG, but not really sure.  LBJ and AD should feast, right?  

They should have a field day on offense, but Murray is going to have a big series. I'm hoping AD kicks it up another gear in this series.

• Hook 'Em 1

There you go, Denver..... Fucking big win.  That I like to see and anytime you can shove Kawhi and Playoff P's face in the shit, it's much better.  Didn't think they had it in them but heck of a comeback.  Now, can you slay the beast?  Can you get to the Finals?  AD vs Joker.  Lebron vs Murray.  Denver's gonna need Harris to outplay the Lakers' PG, probably Rondo down the stretch.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know I should be happy to be facing Murray and Jokic instead of Kawhi and PG, but not really sure.  LBJ and AD should feast, right?  
LeBron is going to ruthlessly screen hunt for MPJ and Millsap it's going to be ugly. And AD should theoretically have more success against Jokic. The Nuggets are going to have to try to play through screens more instead of switching like they could against LA.
The X factor could be Gary Harris who played pretty well towards the end of that series after coming back from injury. He's an excellent wing defender. But it's probably not enough, especially if the role players like Rondo keep shooting like Steve Kerr.

Only chance Denver has is if all of LA's supporting cast sucks all at once for four games. Which isn't completely out of the question.

Lakers in 5 would be my guess.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Jokic is like that one kinda ugly sloppy dude in your group of friends that drinks too much, sleeps with skanks, probably has Herpes, says dumb shit all the time, and stays high pretty much the entire day, but he's funny as shit and a good dude. And this one is one of the best basketball players on Earth.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Jokic is like that one kinda ugly sloppy dude in your group of friends that drinks too much, sleeps with skanks, probably has Herpes, says dumb shit all the time, and stays high pretty much the entire day, but he's funny as shit and a good dude. And this one is one of the best basketball players on Earth.

spacer.png

I don't think you'll see a ton of jokic matched up on AD. Millsap and MPJ are better match ups for Denver. 
That would be smart, because AD can probably get him in foul trouble. I was thinking more on defense. AD, despite his aversion to playing center, is going to have to guard Jokic for stretches. If you try to guard Jokic with Javale or Dwight, you're gonna have a bad time.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Easy to say this now, but maybe kawhi isn't meant to be a team leader?  The Spurs had a lot of leaders and Lowry to me was the heart and soul of the Raptors.
Good point. Kawhi has never been the team leader. The Clippers "leader" is a dude that got banned from the bubble for awhile because he went to the strip club.
Kawhi is going to face some tough scrutiny that he never had to deal with in the ridiculously kid-gloved media bubbles in SA and TOR.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Good point. Kawhi has never been the team leader. The Clippers "leader" is a dude that got banned from the bubble for awhile because he went to the strip club.
Kawhi is going to face some tough scrutiny that he never had to deal with in the ridiculously kid-gloved media bubbles in SA and TOR.

I agree with most of Colin's takes, but I think he said Kawhi was going to be top 5 all time if he wins this year.  I can't see any of his contemporaries (LBJ, KD,Steph) let this Denver team come back from 3-1.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I agree with most of Colin's takes, but I think he said Kawhi was going to be top 5 all time if he wins this year.  I can't see any of his contemporaries (LBJ, KD,Steph) let this Denver team come back from 3-1.  

KD or LeBron would never shoot 6 of 22 in a fucking game 7

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/14/2020 at 4:06 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Look- I'm a Longhorn fan first, last and forever.  Beyond that- I root- ish- for the Rockets, horns in the pros and just shit that's interesting or fun.  I don't see anything wrong with Lebron winning a title with the Lakers, especially if it's over the Celtics. Or Celtics over Lebron and the Lakers. 

I'd rather the Clips not win a title b/c Leonard seems like a bitch, and I'd rather he not drag his nuts across the rest of the leagues faces with two different titles, in 2 years, with two different teams, both in the first year with them.  I don't see anything about Miami or Boston that's particularly fun to watch, but gun to my head I guess I'd slightly prefer Boston to Miami if the Lakers are in the finals for purposes of nostalgia. I guess.  But yeah, Miami and Denver aren't compelling to root for unless they are your guys, so I don't get this at all. 

Totally disagree. I love their (Boston, Miami, and Denver) styles of play. I have a post earlier in this thread lamenting the fact that, outside of Golden St, teams like Denver who are authentically fun to watch play with their ball and player movement and dependence on outside shooting, rarely win championships. Denver is proving me wrong with their win tonight. And I don't know what you don't like about Miami, maybe you're like me and didn't pay much attention to them before the Milwaukee series, but they're another team that plays a fun style. They pass, cut, and shoot like crazy and they dont have any ball stoppers who unnecessarily bog down the ball movement or player movement. They're an immensely fun team to watch and I totally underrated Jimmy Butler as a  star who can carry a team. His good natured personality emboldens his teammates provided they have heart and bring their lunch pails to the court. I viewed him as somewhat of a malcontent after his dalliances with Minnesota and Philly, but now its clear he's just a guy who doesn't suffer fools and will be a good teammate to good teammates. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 9/14/2020 at 1:56 PM, BradInATX said:

Yeah, at least Jokic and Murray (and MPJ) are draft picks. I'm not super familiar with how they built the rest of that roster, but I can't recall any marquis free agents.

They'd have a really really difficult time with the Lakers if they get there. It's a poor matchup for them. But even if they could just knock the Clippers out, it makes the odds of the champion not being an LA or Boston team that much better, which I think we're all rooting for. 

There's a very real path to not having an LA champion if the Nuggets finish the Clippers off. The Lakers don't match up extremely well with Miami, but the Clippers do. So even if Denver is just the sacrificial lamb that got rid of an LAC team that would give Miami/Boston fits, they've helped the cause.

We are all Nuggets, Heat, and even Celtics if we need to be.

What makes you think that? I actually think they're a decent matchup for the Lakers. One of the final games of the pre-playoff bubble they went toe to toe with the Lakers with their 3rd string on the court for the entire 4th qtr. 

1 hour ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

The only thing Doc has going is that he’s a media darling. Nobody does less with more. 

And more with less.

He's probably best suited to take underrated teams beyond their expectations. His championship with Boston had a lot to do with Garnett's heart and personality and Pierce's huevos carrying them when they inevitably encountered the lulls that Doc's teams seem to frequently have issues with. 

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Take out the last sentence and you've got the Surly mission statement. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

KD or LeBron would never shoot 6 of 22 in a fucking game 7

KD would go 5 of 21 in elimination game against Grizzlies, and 5 of 23 in elimation game against Lakers...

Lebron 10-30 in loss against Spurs, 8-20 in loss against Magic, 8-21 in loss against Celtics....

• Like 1

John Prine dead, goddamn corona virus, stupid ass government shit, fucking politicians, 200,000 dead, no sports, economy tanking, mass unemployment, hurricanes, fires, Chadwick Boseman, NO GODDAMN TOP GUN 2...but 2020 had a little sunshine in it. Jokic and the weird pubes guy came through. Thanks guys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Somewhere in the last offseason thread, I said "They are the Clips, they will somehow fuck it up".    Even I couldnt imagine this one.   Blowing 13+ pts leads in 3 straight games after being up 3-1???   That is about the Clipper-est shit ever.  Couldn't happen to a more deserving group.   All up and down that bench they have guys that I cant stand.   They even picked up Joakim Noah, Reggie Jackson and one of the Morrii.   Fuck all of them.  GLORIOUS!!!!!!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

John Prine dead, goddamn corona virus, stupid ass government shit, fucking politicians, 200,000 dead, no sports, economy tanking, mass unemployment, hurricanes, fires, Chadwick Boseman, NO GODDAMN TOP GUN 2...but 2020 had a little sunshine in it. Jokic and the weird pubes guy came through. Thanks guys. 

Yep. The world is on the way back to "normal". The Clippers winning a title would have signaled the end of the world as we know it.

7 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Totally disagree. I love their (Boston, Miami, and Denver) styles of play. I have a post earlier in this thread lamenting the fact that, outside of Golden St, teams like Denver who are authentically fun to watch play with their ball and player movement and dependence on outside shooting, rarely win championships. Denver is proving me wrong with their win tonight. And I don't know what you don't like about Miami, maybe you're like me and didn't pay much attention to them before the Milwaukee series, but they're another team that plays a fun style. They pass, cut, and shoot like crazy and they dont have any ball stoppers who unnecessarily bog down the ball movement or player movement. They're an immensely fun team to watch and I totally underrated Jimmy Butler as a  star who can carry a team. His good natured personality emboldens his teammates provided they have heart and bring their lunch pails to the court. I viewed him as somewhat of a malcontent after his dalliances with Minnesota and Philly, but now its clear he's just a guy who doesn't suffer fools and will be a good teammate to good teammates. 

Cool. If my direct tv ever gets fixed (we had lightning strike inside my house on Thursday and it blew the router- yikes) I watch more of those two teams in the next week than I have in the previous 5 years combined. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Kobe went 6 for 24 in game 7 of the NBA finals. He was bailed out by a big 4th quarter from Ron Artest. It can happen. It’s one game. 

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

KD would go 5 of 21 in elimination game against Grizzlies, and 5 of 23 in elimation game against Lakers...

Lebron 10-30 in loss against Spurs, 8-20 in loss against Magic, 8-21 in loss against Celtics....

I wasn't talking about Kobe, and I wasn't talking about game 5s or 6s. But okay.