2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

I love this Heat team. They've got to be maddening to play against. They're relentless, they're aggravating on defense, they crash every board, fight for every ball. Nothing comes easy against them ever. And they seem completely in control mentally. Unflappable.

If the Clippers had the hustle and mental toughness that the heat did they'd be unstoppable.

Watching Boston struggle against this zone like a middle school team has me rethinking my brad Stevens opinion 

I think Stevens has done a great job this series. So has Spoelstra. It's been a dog fight.They do need to answer that zone though. This game the only answer they had was hoping Kemba could shoot them to victory out of iso. And he almost did.

Dragic is a more boring, poor man's version of Ginobili. I mean that as a compliment. Really good player.

3 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Spoelstra is a damn good coach. Definitely top 5 league wise. Yet, I don't hear much about him overall.

I said the same thing to my friend the other day. He didn't get any credit for the Lebron days and I think no one really thought much of him since then but this Heat team is damn good. They don't have some superstar stacked team. They play great team ball like the old Spurs teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I said the same thing to my friend the other day. He didn't get any credit for the Lebron days and I think no one really thought much of him since then 

Pretty damn sure that you've been leading the charge for years on the "All Spoelstra did was roll the ball out there; he sucks without LeBron" train.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Pretty sure Marcus Smart may be my least favorite player in the league. You can't act and talk all tough, claim to be some kind of hard-nosed, old school defender, then flop around the court trying to bait the refs for 48 minutes. 

Fucking.  This.  Wish someone would beat his ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Pretty sure Marcus Smart may be my least favorite player in the league. You can't act and talk all tough, claim to be some kind of hard-nosed, old school defender, then flop around the court trying to bait the refs for 48 minutes. 

Yeah him and Fuck Kyle Lowry flop constantly and the refs constantly give them calls.   Makes it hard not to hate both of them

11 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Boston might be imploding. Or they could be rallying the troops. Let’s see how this plays out  

Heat out here melting teams down. Destroyed Milwaukee's soul and have them rethinking the entire organization, and have Boston arguing and throwing phones and getting people in trouble their wives. 

What a bitch move to take the frustration of blowing leads in two straight games out on a guy who didn't even play the games due to injury. Chump af. Maybe Smart should be cussing himself out as he's the 4th worst defender and 4th worst offensive player on his team this series, and his turnover % is higher than his rebound, assist, steal, and block percentages combined.

The teams are shooting and scoring at almost identical efficiency. If you want the story of the series so far, this is it.

(realized I didn't get the headers on the table, but highlighted is turnovers)

celtics.JPG.5e28fd071482aa272b36dac4e745037b.JPGheat.JPG.521d9930e2ccd062396c1968803399b4.JPG

The Celtics top 3 guys' having 10 more turnovers than the Heat's top 3 is worth about 12 points in a series with a total combined margin of 8.

Also, notice who isn't on the Heat's list despite his usage.

Sum sum, Marcus Smart should STFU and work on not giving the ball to the wrong team.

Edited by BradInATX

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Pretty damn sure that you've been leading the charge for years on the "All Spoelstra did was roll the ball out there; he sucks without LeBron" train.

He did suck without Lebron until this season. Shrugs. Hence why no one thought anything about him until this year. Hence why I made the statement. I gave him no thought until this year. My previous assessment does not change on him because what he is doing this year when he got Jimmy Butler in here. He's doing great this year with this team.

Edited by Vic Mackey

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

He did suck without Lebron until this season. Shrugs. Hence why no one thought anything about him until this year. Hence why I made the statement. I gave him no thought until this year. My previous assessment does not change on him because what he is doing this year when he got Jimmy Butler in here. He's doing great this year with this team.

Spoelstra took a team whose five best players were Kelly Olynyk, Josh Richardson, James Johnson, Hassan Whiteside, and Goran Dragic to the playoffs. Nothing else needs to be said about him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I mean, that’s just not true. 

14 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Spoelstra is a damn good coach. Definitely top 5 league wise. Yet, I don't hear much about him overall.

History has told us that if you ain't winning rings, the front office is looking to replace you.  Doesn't matter what the roster looks like.  Congrats to heat management for sticking with him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

Refs today for the DEN/LAL game:  Denver @ L.A. Lakers - Scott Foster (#48) Tony Brothers (#25)

gotdam good reason to drink tonight.

Question: which one is worse? On one hand, Scott Foster holds grudges and plays favorites. On the other, Tony Brothers is the most incompetent ref in the business, but he's an equal opportunity idiot. He's just as likely to fuck you in the ass as he is to hand you the game at crunch time.

I honestly think I prefer Foster, because you at least know what you're getting out of him. Having your team play when Brothers is on the court is like having an alcoholic family member -- you just never know what's behind door #2.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

A coach can only do a good job when he has really good players and is competing for the Finals. Got it.

19 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I honestly think I prefer Foster, because you at least know what you're getting out of him. Having your team play when Brothers is on the court is like having an alcoholic family member -- you just never know what's behind door #2.

I loathe Tony Brothers as a ref.

Jokic and Lebron at the all-star game (jokic imitating bron's style; bron laughing):

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

A coach can only do a good job when he has really good players and is competing for the Finals. Got it.

I was a great soccer coach in high school when I had a high D1 player on the team and we went to the playoffs. When she graduated and I had a bunch of scrubs I forgot how to coach completely and we finished bottom of the district. Overnight I went from good coach to bad. 

Okay - hear me out. By himself, Webber is a fucking awful color commentator. By himself, Reggie couldn't be more annoying doing color.
But TOGETHER they are shockingly listenable. Maybe TNT has figured out the forumla?
They're alright. Webber is definitely the worst but all the TNT crews are decent to good. Probably the best set of announcing teams around on any network.

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
4 minutes ago, ztejas said:
Okay - hear me out. By himself, Webber is a fucking awful color commentator. By himself, Reggie couldn't be more annoying doing color.
But TOGETHER they are shockingly listenable. Maybe TNT has figured out the forumla?

They're alright. Webber is definitely the worst but all the TNT crews are decent to good. Probably the best set of announcing teams around on any network.

I think the main issue with Webber and Reggie is that they never shut the fuck up and start spouting straight inanity. When you have both of them there it splits their air time in half so they have to be more selective with what they say.